Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prison life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yes we have had this discussion before but I want to know what it is really like.
I want to know what happens day by day, what time you get up, what time you eat, what you are allowed to do and what you are not. I want to know wether prisoners are just put with any other inmate regardless of what they have done I.E would a sex offender be put in with a drug addict.
What do they do in prison and are they really locked up for 23 hrs. Also you hear about prisoners doing work, well what do they do and do they get paid.
If an inmate is admitted to hospital for some reason does that stay in hospital class as part of his sentence?

Tell me about prison life and tell me about members of the public visiting prisoners who may be in prison for a long time but have nobody to visit them.

Infact tell me anything about prison life, factual.........not fiction:)

Comments

• Options
    Re: Prison life
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Yes we have had this discussion before but I want to know what it is really like.
    I want to know what happens day by day, what time you get up, what time you eat, what you are allowed to do and what you are not. I want to know wether prisoners are just put with any other inmate regardless of what they have done I.E would a sex offender be put in with a drug addict.
    What do they do in prison and are they really locked up for 23 hrs. Also you hear about prisoners doing work, well what do they do and do they get paid.
    If an inmate is admitted to hospital for some reason does that stay in hospital class as part of his sentence?

Tell me about prison life and tell me about members of the public visiting prisoners who may be in prison for a long time but have nobody to visit them.

Infact tell me anything about prison life, factual.........not fiction:)
    fucking hell ...she's back ...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Prison life
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    fucking hell ...she's back ...

:lol:

Im interested. while I was away Ive been thinking a lot and something I thought about was prison life. I also wondered what its like to visit a long term prisoner who has no family and what that entails. Also are you told the full history about the prisoner before you see them.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Prison life
    :lol:

Im interested. while I was away Ive been thinking a lot and something I thought about was prison life. I also wondered what its like to visit a long term prisoner who has no family and what that entails. Also are you told the full history about the prisoner before you see them.
    ahh you big softy.
    do it. go on. then come back and tell us all about it. go on.
    don't let it be one of those experiences in your life you only ever sat and thought about.
    if you sort it out for yourself instead of asking me ...you'll start on an amazing journey of discovery ...the rewards are spiritual. you will be a fuller person.
    do it do it do it.
  • Options
    Havent you seen bad girls? :p
  • Options
    Ok I know about this stuff a bit coz my mum works in the education dpt of a category C prison. Yes they do paid work. Little jobs like envelope filling , making little things etc etc. They can do education courses in things like ICT , Basic Skills, etc etc . They do have rec rooms and stuff. Generally in the daytime they aren't banged up, but if like yesterday, theres a problem with the roll count they get banged up early, so for 14 hours. As for the offenders they're mixed.
    Dunno if thats any use.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    from what i have been led to believe prison isn't as bad as itis suspsoed to be.

many people have televisions, playstations, various stuff like that.

Thats rubbish, in the main its a lot worse than people think. Most prisons are awash with heroin are violent places.

I cant give personal experience with the UK's prisions but I know someone well who is in a US jail.

He was in medium security, this means you share a cell, get coffee, get exercise, more books allowed and more visits.

The jail then had a 'lock down' and all cells were searched. Two people in his cell had some string for their washing. They blamed it him and he was recorded as having 'escape materials'.

So from then untill now and for a while yet he is in maximum security. That means 23 hours a day in a cell by yourself, very limited books, TV only during that one hour out of the cell, no coffee, limited food...etc.

Then of course there is the occasional lock down where they can be in the cells by themselves with no human contact for days on end.

So, no, its not a nice place, its very nasty.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Foxxy_Cymru
    Havent you seen bad girls? :p

I dont watch that actually, although I used to love Prisoner cell block H and the theme tune to that programme is one of my all time faves :D

Im not sure about this visiting thing although I feel that I do have lots to offer the right person, put me in with a savage murderer or rapist then I dont think Id be much use, but for someone who has done some other non violent crimes I think id be ok.
    Im seriously thinking about it anyways, just for them to have a visitor or someone to send them letters........will let you know how i get on.
  • Options
    There are quite a few pen-pal type charities you could contact, The Prison Reform Trust maybe able to help you with that.

In the US there are some charities which you can give to and they will help prisoners who dont have anyone. As in the US they, for example only get soap and no toothbrush, its only those with money that can have those.
  • Options
  • Options
    Cheers Me Dear, gonna take a look now :)
  • Options
    This sounds very interesting, would love to hear what happens.
  • Options
    I dont watch that actually, although I used to love Prisoner cell block H and the theme tune to that programme is one of my all time faves :D

`he used to give me rosesssssssss, I wish he would again`
    I love that. They should bring it back. Old Lizzie was my fave.:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

I did too, mum used to tape it so i could watch it as it was on late heh. I loved b.
  • Options
    I have but I doubt that was prison is really like.
    no its probably more like cell block H.
  • Options
    that was the US where real justice takes place. hello I'm taking about soft Britian here. YES they do have televisions, even that Abu Hamza has a television.

someone back me up on that, they do have televisions?

in some prisons it's like a holiday camp.

Dont you fucking dare tell me about real justice you pre-pubesant simple minded fool.

You know nothing of the US justice system what so ever and you know nothing about what prisoners go through every day there.

Real justice? In a land where they put in prison a greater percentage of their population than any democracy ever.

The abuses at Abu Grave arent that far away from what I have heard about going on in prisons there every day.

Why dont you just do us all a favour and go away. No one wants you on this board.
  • Options
    Having to shit in a bucket in front of your cellmate is being soft?

Being denied conjugal visits (and thus increasing chances of being raped) is being soft?
  • Options
    what you need to do is chill out and stop taking everything so seriously.

abu grave, i doubt that prison is like all the prisons on the states.

My opinion is that i genrally think we are too soft.

No, this is a serious issue, normally your 'contributions' to this board just wash over me. I cant find you offensive because your not smart enough.

However, I have a strong personal tie to this issue and for you to run off one of you views with no basis in fact on this pisses me off.

You dont think its that much like Abu Grave.

Well how about if there is any minor violation its common practice to strip prisoners naked in front of the whole prison then march them up and down. Then tazer them repeatedly, then put them in a cell by themselves with only a cup of water a day for up to 72 hours at a time.

Again I say, why dont you just fucking leave?!
  • Options
    that is shocking yes, no doubt about that.

how ever, genrally British prisons are too soft I believe anyway.

the prison service also needs redoing.
    No they're not. Anyone who claims prisons are holiday camps or that prisoners live the good life because they have a TV in the cell are utterly clueless.

Have you ever heard of an ex-prisoner who looked forward to being jailed again? No? Why, I mean, what's the big deal about being locked up for years with all sorts of dodgy people including dangeous maniacs and ass-rapists when you get to watch TV and eat those wonderful meals eh?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    that is socking, very shocking, glad it's not happening here then.

but Iam refering to British prisons you know.

I know you hate me and think I am no good etc, your allowed to think that.

i have nothing against you.

If enough people want me to leave, i will.

I dont hate you Lukesh, far from it, I'm just not sure what you are adding here.

Its just this one issue, the rest of your posts I could care less about.

I would love to see you actually taking in some of what is being said to you, but I fear you are not really listening to any of us and it shows in your posts.
  • Options
    Well I got this in a letter from the bloke I know, (not 100% word for word but v. nearly)

"What we cant understand here is the fuss they are making about that Abu Grave place, we have stuff like that all the time. Why should terrorists get treated better than us?"

I'm glad your learning Lukesh. Keep listening, and remember keep an open mind, learning is good for the soul.
  • Options
    but like peasophiles, I don't want them watching television, they forfitted that when they raped young children then killed them after. some even 6 months old.
    Do you know how many of the 75,000 people rotting in jail in this country are paedophiles?

What about the immense majority who ain't?
  • Options
    i agree if luke s on aobut paedophiles but instead of prison they should be locked indefinetly in 'treatment centres'

and too many people are in prison for petty crimes when really they should be putting something back into community to make up for their contribution to makin their town a bad place to be in
  • Options
    Prison is an easy answer for the courts, they should really do everything they can to keep people out of jail, especially young people. Feltam for example, always amoung the worst jails in the whole system, its for CHILDREN!!

The problem is that community sentancing is seen as a 'soft touch' by the public.
  • Options
    of course, but I never aid that all of them were.

but there are too many that are not banged up.
    You're yet again avoiding the point. One second you're talking about prison conditions, the next about the few child sex offenders there, the next about people who are not in jail but should.

So let's go back to the point. Do you still believe prisoners our prisons are soft because some people have the "luxury" of a TV in their cells?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

So let's go back to the point. Do you still believe prisoners our prisons are soft because some people have the "luxury" of a TV in their cells?

Just to butt in, i think prison is portayed very different to how it really is. People do say how its easy as they have tv ect. I don't beleive that though, if you have ever seen someone who has been inside, they will tell you a very different story. Plus if you ask me you can tell it wasnt nice & has a lasting effect on how they are.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

CHEERS RAINBOW & BECKS, GOT THE DAMN SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD NOW :(
  • Options
    It's just a television. It really makes very little difference. They aren't on the streets. They are no longer on the streets. I thought that was the idea of prison - to protect the public/remove "criminals" (though nowadays that term is used loosely) from society.
  • Options
    they don't deserve it in my eyes.

For any crime?
  • Options
    cummity work? Oooerrr matron! :D
  • Options
    Im guessin my input meant nothing. Interesting thread though, interesting to see peoples differing views.