Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

spanking

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Sami
    Then we have differing viewpoints on this as well.

I can't imagine flying off the handle and hitting someone I love. That's the scary part to me. And I'm sure it's scary to the child as well to be hit for no reason. It sends a shiver down my spine.
    mine too really, if its any consolation ive never hit him hard, ive never `lost it`, but what im admitting to here, is giving him a slap on the bum when ive been frustrated with him. Im not saying this is right - I think im in the wrong to have done it, but I am only human.
    do you think that if someone hits their child regularly as their main form of discipline, then what do THEY do when they lose their rag?
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    mine too really, if its any consolation ive never hit him hard, ive never `lost it`, but what im admitting to here, is giving him a slap on the bum when ive been frustrated with him. Im not saying this is right - I think im in the wrong to have done it, but I am only human.
    do you think that if someone hits their child regularly as their main form of discipline, then what do THEY do when they lose their rag?
    If someone uses spanking as their main form of discipline, then it doesn't matter. They are already abusing their child. If the inferrence was that they will severely harm their child when they "lose it", well, I'm pretty sure that would happen. There are parents who will use their children as punching bags, and it has nothing to do with discipline. It has to do with the parents inability to cope with children and probably other aspects of life as well. A parent who strikes their child because they "can't take it" should really look at whether they should be a parent. It happens too often to children. And that's what we are really discussing here. Not frustration with the child, and not "coldly" spanking the child, but parents who lash out at their kids because they can't cope with what's happening in their own lives. That's abuse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sami
    A parent who strikes their child because they "can't take it" should really look at whether they should be a parent. It happens too often to children. And that's what we are really discussing here. Not frustration with the child, and not "coldly" spanking the child, but parents who lash out at their kids because they can't cope with what's happening in their own lives. That's abuse.

Agreed.
    although I dont think people who occasionally lose their temper and give their child a quick slap in anger should necessarily be barred from being parents. all children try and wind their parents up at some point, and from a logical point of view, it seems forgivable to me if a child is on a wind up, and the parent slaps it. It happens in the animal kingdom all the time. I have watched my cat swat her kittens when theyve annoyed her, although I never saw her swipe them to teach them anything in particular.
    To swipe when annoyed could be seen as just instinctive behaviour, not calculated.
  • Options
    Spanking a child teaches them that violence is a way to get your own way.

Children learn a lot from their parents and if a parent spanks or threatens to spank a child they are basically saying that violence or threat of violence (I'll spank you if you ....) is acceptable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl

Children learn a lot from their parents and if a parent spanks or threatens to spank a child they are basically saying that violence or threat of violence (I'll spank you if you ....) is acceptable.
    I agree with that too. Children learn what they live.
  • Options

Then how do you account for the majority of people who were spanked and didn't grow up believing that violence is the way to get your own way?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    Is it true to say that many of those pro abortionists also are anti smacking?

I don't know any pro-abortionists. I know plenty of pro-choice people though.
    What the hell thats got to do with hitting children though, I haven't a scooby. :confused:
  • Options
    theres a big difference in loosing your temper and smacking a child as opposed to letting the child know that stepping beyond a certain boundary or not stopping a certain action will result in a smacked leg.
    as a parent i used to count to three.one ...two ...three ...my kids would very rarely get the slap. they knew if i reached four they'd get one. they would push it to the very last moment and then conform to my wishes ...no pain needed.
  • Options

Sorry i wouldnt agree with that.

Im obviously as your aware much older than you and as a kid I was chased round the house by my mother who used to give me the slipper (not a hard beating, just a slap). I used to work the shit of her, I was a total twat tbh. I was like most teenagers and I would work her as far as i could and I DID deserve the slipper. I have not grown up violent, I dont fight, I dont slap my Daughter at every given chance, I dont beat nobody up.

There is nothing wrong with a slap. long as we are talking slap and not a good hiding then its fine.

do you think because children do not get smacked/punished as much could be why we now have so many unruly children in society?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Luce
    and teach you good manners/how to behave properly except your parents.
    There are many parents who do teach their children good manners but their children still turn out to be ignorant. Similarly there are those who teach their children nothing but they grow up to be wonderful people. I think environment is only half the story...

But to address the question, I was never ever smacked as child and it did me no harm. I don't think children should have any fear of their parents. I had friends when I was growing up who were scared of their father's in particular because their mums would say things like 'just wait until your dad gets home...' and they would be smacked for something they did several hours before - that kind of 'hiding' isn't appropriate to discipline children.

I am not against other people gently tapping their children on the hand but I don't think it should ever be done ages after the event, in public or on the body.
  • Options
    aye im not that old but i got the belt (by far the harshest), the shoe, the cane, just about anything lol..........but it wasnt in excess, and it does teach you a lesson. i was just about to say the 1-2-3 rule mr roll just mentioned is very useful for showing kids where the boundaries lie (thats how i was brought up), a bit like in lab experiments where they shock the rats to condition a response lol.........

FAR too many kids are growing up in a world where parents are afraid to slap their kids, and this results in the dont-give-a-shit attitudes i see everywhere today, and the increasing amount of yobs.........ha i am tempted to give these kids a good belting for their parents.........but i dunno if i would be as harsh with my kids, i did resent the punishment sometimes, esp. when it was not my parents and when i did not feel it was justified or i was not forewarned.......

i have not grown up violent, far from it i am very relaxed and feel it should be up to the parents, and they should not be put off by the govt, just because some parents abuse should not stop parents smacking their kids when necessary..........should be out of love for the child/wanting them to grow up to be a good person, and not about taking out stress/anger on your kids. There's a clear difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    FAR too many kids are growing up in a world where parents are afraid to slap their kids, and this results in the dont-give-a-shit attitudes i see everywhere today, and the increasing amount of yobs.........ha i am tempted to give these kids a good belting for their parents..........

From my own experiences it is the children who were hit / slapped / smacked as children who seem to grow up to be yobs.
  • Options
    yes and i suspect in that case it's because they were hit/slapped/smacked for the wrong reasons/with the wrong intentions.......or it was not made clear to the children why they were being punished.........re-read my WHOLE post before you quote me out of context pls.
  • Options

I learnt to be scared of violence. Put me in a situation where there is the possibility of me getting in a fight and ill start to shake. Even when I'm sticking up for my friends I'll get an adrenaline rush and it'll make me feel really upset and jumpy! I'm not saying anyone enjoys getting into fights - just that I associate violence with fear and so stay very far away from them!

I think some of the kids round here would be better off if they had had the same, or maybe they had regular also timetabled smacking :confused: whereas mine was only if I did something quite bad. If my mum warned me first I wouldn't do it!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    you think because children do not get smacked/punished as much could be why we now have so many unruly children in society?

I think its far more to do with lack of boundaries and the influence of a materialist capitalist culture.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I think its far more to do with lack of boundaries and the influence of a materialist capitalist culture.

Kids/teenagers know they cant be smacked and get away with murder.
    In schools teachers have no control over certain pupils and I personally beleive that because things like caning have been banned the kids know there is Jack shit the teachers can do to them, so what do they do ? Yeah, they get away with murder and teachers have to take verbal abuse from these youngsters.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Kids/teenagers know they cant be smacked and get away with murder.
    In schools teachers have no control over certain pupils and I personally beleive that because things like caning have been banned the kids know there is Jack shit the teachers can do to them, so what do they do ? Yeah, they get away with murder and teachers have to take verbal abuse from these youngsters.
    I was never smacked and it was the best thing IMO. I always had respect for others because I was brought up with respect given to me, and I was expected to respect others. I treat my own son with respect too. I just cant see how hitting him would ever help anything. There are always other non violent ways which are more appropriate I feel.
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    yes and i suspect in that case it's because they were hit/slapped/smacked for the wrong reasons/with the wrong intentions.......or it was not made clear to the children why they were being punished.........re-read my WHOLE post before you quote me out of context pls.
    Nope, still can't see how I quoted out of context. :)
  • Options
    do you think because children do not get smacked/punished as much could be why we now have so many unruly children in society?
    I think this is very true. Children always try and push boundaries to see how far they get, and if parents don't enforce a punishment after children have crossed a boundary, they think they can do as they please, because there will be no major repercussions from parents.