Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The site P&d boards are over-moderated.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    LOL. oh Jacq, you wont be much of a diplomat I assure you. Your childish retorts and filaure to concede that you dont have a clue what you are talking about as well as your inability to support your arguments leaves you looking the fool more often than not.

Don't be so busy assuring things you have absolutely no control over. At least if you were a proper human being you wouldn't try to disencourage me, but rather present your case in a manner where it might make sense and appeal to me...
    Doesn't matter. As said you're not the one which anything depends uon, thankfully.

Speaking of childish retorts, etc., etc., then it really is a wonder that you keep arguing with me. Surely if it was as you said, you wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    Maybe if almost every topic didn't get dragged down into an argument about immigration and race, feelings wouldn't run so high...

Maybe if people didnt respond to personal attacks with personal attacks they wouldn't work so well...

Maybe if people tried posting on something other than their pet subjects, people wouldn't think they only had one agenda...

Maybe people who live in glasshouses...

Oh I don't know, anyway I'm off to Somerset for the weekend!

;)
  • Options
    See, even a thread about how much bickering and bias on the boards has turned to bickering.

I may join bongbudda and not bother in future.
  • Options
    I tell you what. Let's impose a temporary ban on all subjects related to "immigration", "race" and "asylum seekers", which have been the one and only subject being pushed by certain people.

In return I will ban myself from mentioning the US war on Iraq, and others can follow suit if that is what ruffles some people's feathers.

Does that sound fair?
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with threads on "immigration", "race" and "asylum seekers" or indeed the US war on Iraq, it's when they cross-thread in a tedious repetitive fashion
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    IN. YOUR. OPINION.

THE FACTS ...evn the inspectors reported that they were wasting their time ...they were being used as political pawns.
    the country was bombed and then sanctions imposed. the country was eyeballed 24hrs a day for years by satelites.
    enough experts and proffesionals stated that saddam did not pose a threat to anyone ...his military machine had been basicaly destroyed by bush snr.
    everyone knew that he could not launch weapons of WMD within 45 mins.
    most people knew or at least suspected that the press were being manipulated by the government through the CIA. CIA bigwig resigns ...new york times apologises.
    most sensible people stated that invading iraq would lead to chaos and further instability in iraq and the middle east in general.
    people were screaming about human rights abuses by the usa ...
    the legal and moral stuff ...the vietnam comparrisons ...OUR ...freedoms being eroded ...do i need to go on or people like jacq determined to keep their eyes and ears firmly shut?

lukesh ...no one is supporting saddam ...why can't you see and hear what is going down?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    There's nothing wrong with threads on "immigration", "race" and "asylum seekers" or indeed the US war on Iraq, it's when they cross-thread in a tedious repetitive fashion
    It's not the subject itself that is the problem but the constant, never ending new threads and the continuous derailings that happen on a daily basis for no real good reason whatsoever- other than to push certain agendas and stir prejudice.

There's more to fucking life than immigration, race and asylum seekers. Judging by the percentage of threads dealing in the subject you would think we're discussing the imminent end of the world.

These subjects are simply being kept top of the agenda artificially. Time to give it a rest until something significant happens again. It’s not as if there’re new dramatic developments every week, as is at least the case with Iraq.
  • Options
    The forums aren't over modded just over paged. Thers what, 8 posts to a page? There should be 50 minimum its so unwieldy.
  • Options
    It’s not as if there’re new dramatic developments every week, as is at least the case with Iraq.

dramatic? US soldiers beeing ambushed is unpleasant but not a great debating topic, neither are the events in Palestine.

If ppl want to debate a topic but you don't, you have the perfect right to boycott that topic but you recently introduce an asylum thread with the apparent aim to stifle debate
  • Options
    If ppl want to debate a topic but you don't, you have the perfect right to boycott that topic but you recently introduce an asylum thread with the apparent aim to stifle debate
    And if people insist on derailing threads towards immigrants even when the starting topic had bugger all to do with it, and on posting repetitive threads over the same subject over and over and over I have the perfect right to complain and request that people stay on topic. And that they limit their favourite subjects to one or two threads instead of spreading to every thread in sight like a contagious virus.

As per the forum's rules if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    but you recently introduce an asylum thread with the apparent aim to stifle debate
  • Options
    On the contrary. To put an end to artificial and unjustified levels of posting over something that is distorted and overblown.

And I still maintain what I said: since latest official figures (and corroborated by an independent body as well so let's give a fucking rest to the "the government is lying to us" bullshit) show that asylum is falling and is well under control, it's time for you and others to either back up your claims that we've being "swamped" or "overwhelmed" by "floods of 'bogus' asylum seekers", or leave the subject alone until you have something relevant and truthful to say.

I can understand my thread upset you though. Bringing the issue to a head, proving my point, leaving you exposed and so far unable to back up your claims... how inconsiderate of me.
  • Options
    fucking rest to the "the government is lying to us" bullshit) show

How hypocritical , whenever the government reports something from Iraq you are the first one to say 'this is bullshit'. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

enough experts and proffesionals stated that saddam did not pose a threat to anyone
    Except from his own people...
    A thing which you and so many others have failed to notice, is that my support of the war was given on the basis of the removal of Saddam.
    I may have mentioned weapons, but have always stressed that my support wasn't given primarily for those, but for the people who were suffering under him.

most sensible people stated that invading iraq would lead to chaos and further instability in iraq and the middle east in general.
    people were screaming about human rights abuses by the usa ...
    the legal and moral stuff ...the vietnam comparrisons ...OUR ...freedoms being eroded ...do i need to go on or people like jacq determined to keep their eyes and ears firmly shut?
    You go on and use me as your model of everything which is wrong. In reality I was among those who thought that they Iraqi people shouldn't be ignored anymore. In your words that is to keep my eyes and ears firmly shut apparently.

Then you mention human right abuses commited by the US, and make it appear as if I have ever supported the acts commited in the Abu Grahib prison. What the fuck is that about?
    I have not once done that, and thought that I made it pretty clear that I was disgusted by the actions. But no, "Jacq" is obviously a supporter who can't see right from wrong.

You have made your ideas, yet fail to realise that what is happening doesn't go according to those ideas.

But no, remember that "Jacq" is childish and neglects to support what she's saying... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    How hypocritical , whenever the government reports something from Iraq you are the first one to say 'this is bullshit'. :rolleyes:
    Could that be because figures on asylum can be independently monitored and easily checked, whereas when it comes to Iraq the government has been completely unable to back up its claims in the face of all the evidence and testimonies from witnesses, analysts, observers and UN experts to the contrary?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Except from his own people...
    A thing which you and so many others have failed to notice, is that my support of the war was given on the basis of the removal of Saddam.
    I may have mentioned weapons, but have always stressed that my support wasn't given primarily for those, but for the people who were suffering under him.

You go on and use me as your model of everything which is wrong. In reality I was among those who thought that they Iraqi people shouldn't be ignored anymore. In your words that is to keep my eyes and ears firmly shut apparently.

Then you mention human right abuses commited by the US, and make it appear as if I have ever supported the acts commited in the Abu Grahib prison. What the fuck is that about?
    I have not once done that, and thought that I made it pretty clear that I was disgusted by the actions. But no, "Jacq" is obviously a supporter who can't see right from wrong.

You have made your ideas, yet fail to realise that what is happening doesn't go according to those ideas.

But no, remember that "Jacq" is childish and neglects to support what she's saying... :rolleyes:
    so you accept then that the lefties were talking sense from start to finnish and the right handers were talking bollox all along.
    removing saddam was EVERYONES wish ...but a full scale war destabilising the middle east even further was the wrong way to go about it ...and that was only a side effect anyway.
    more people have been killed or maimed in iraq by our politics than saddam could ever have achieved. there is now terrorism where none existed before. there is now chaos where there was order.
    great achievements aye ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    so you accept then that the lefties were talking sense from start to finnish and the right handers were talking bollox all along.
    removing saddam was EVERYONES wish ...but a full scale war destabilising the middle east even further was the wrong way to go about it ...and that was only a side effect anyway.
    more people have been killed or maimed in iraq by our politics than saddam could ever have achieved. there is now terrorism where none existed before. there is now chaos where there was order.
    great achievements aye ...

No I don't, and neither did I say that. So stop "putting words in my mouth", will you?
    If I am a "right winger" then no, I haven't been talking "bollox (disgusting word) all along".

If you thought that the war would run smoothly, then you're a downright fool. And if you think that the people of Iraq would be better off with Saddam, then you're a bigger fool.
    As far as I read just two minutes ago, the Iraqi government will hold (/have?) the power to kick the US completely out.
    Oh, and you always complain that I don't back up my claims, well here you go :D
  • Options
    The word is pretty powerful and if people are inciting hatred then I can see why mods would want to ban them or tell 'em off... but at the same time it's only an opinion... isn't it?

As for the arguements... if you're putting forward a point note your sources, or at least say that you don't know whether or not it may be true. Why resort to insults either? It's is politics and debate not politics and hissy fits.
  • Options
    Re: The site P&d boards are over-moderated.

It didn't degenerate into a personal and racial slag-fest

Am late to this discussion but ....OH YES IT DID! you were particularly rude and childish toward me ladymuck.
  • Options
    just in reply to what I took from you as patronising comments
  • Options
    I happen to agree with this.

I have generally found that the "right-wingers" are pulled up more often and over less important issues. Fair enough if they are being racist, but it does seem that if Ladymuck and Blagsta start arguing, Blagsta is the one who lowers the tone yet it is Ladymuck who gets the grief. And it happens with other left-right arguments of ideology; the sole liber gets a lot of grief where if he said what the mods agreed with he wouldn't.

This is not actually true. I don't know whether ladymuck gets warning PM's from the mods, but I certainly do.
  • Options
    IN. YOUR. OPINION.

Saddam Hussein was kitted out with biological weapons, and he used them in combat, most notably against Iran. It doesn't matter who supplied them, that is a fact.

Of course it matters who supplied them.
  • Options
    France, Germany and the US :lol:
  • Options
    Is this actually going to achieve anything? A thread about overmoderation has degenerated into pointless arguing completely off topic. From what I can see, no-one actually seems to be interested in coming to any compromise, and seem to enjoy all this bickering....
  • Options
    I happen to agree with this.

I have generally found that the "right-wingers" are pulled up more often and over less important issues. Fair enough if they are being racist, but it does seem that if Ladymuck and Blagsta start arguing, Blagsta is the one who lowers the tone yet it is Ladymuck who gets the grief. And it happens with other left-right arguments of ideology; the sole liber gets a lot of grief where if he said what the mods agreed with he wouldn't.

I think it is good that the mods get involved in the discussions, but the mods have to become more neutral. It does seem to me that those who disagree with the moderators' opinions seem to get more hassle from them than those who do not. There are one or two "left wing" posters on here who, if they said the opposite view of what they do, would have been banned a very very long time ago.

Exactly what I think, Blagsta is incapable of having a debate without insulting people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Is this actually going to achieve anything? A thread about overmoderation has degenerated into pointless arguing completely off topic. From what I can see, no-one actually seems to be interested in coming to any compromise, and seem to enjoy all this bickering....
    no it won't achieve sod all.
    but it has proved what this place and us lot are like.
    in my opinion it aint bad like this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    Exactly what I think, Blagsta is incapable of having a debate without insulting people.

While you're just incapable of debate.
  • Options
    This is why we have mods, kiddies.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I fucking can't believe you're trying to make a saint out of Hussein.
    Incredible.
    Didn't take you long to forget that this is the Politics and Debate board, Jaques. Sorry ladymuck, case dismissed. I'm not even going to read to the end of the thread before posting, as I originally intended to. Even if Blagsta weighs in with an intemperate comment further on, it's still the loose group of rightleaning posters who make the most noise about bad moderation, despite miraculously managing to avoid a ban. Suck it up, for Cliff's sake.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I feel that moderation on these forums are really bsiaed. if someone like me says something i get done, if a left wing person spouts comments as us nothing is done.
    What were you 'done' for, lukesh? And were you well done? No need to repeat the infraction, just give us the gist of it.

And I've read the whole thread now, guys. What a big fuss about nothing...