Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

With no income tax..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
1) the economy would grow faster

2) people would have more to spend and save

3) you would have enough to put your children through university

4) you could afford basic healthcare

5) you could donate more to your favourite charity

Surely these are preferable to having government take money from every pay pack. :lol:

Comments

• Options
    Re: With no income tax..
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    1) the economy would grow faster

2) people would have more to spend and save

3) you would have enough to put your children through university

5) you could donate more to your favourite charity

Surely these are preferable to having government take money from every pay pack. :lol:
    utter bollox.
  • Options
    you could say that for any tax or money taking gimmik

rolly's rite: bollox
  • Options
    but then again ...we could have privatised emergancuy services ...navy ...air force and army. education and health care. no state housing.
    in fact lets do away with cops and courts and armies and everyfucking thing else.
  • Options
    I think we should have private health care on insurance type schemes - because right now I don't think the NHS is fit to look after us
  • Options
    A penny saved is a penny gained.
    A penny saved from taxation is a penny gained twice.
  • Options
    Why people pay taxes?
    First explanation is simple- just try not to pay. You’ll have great fun…
    But this is not enough. Why people don’t vote for a party which would abolish taxes?
    Because of greed.
    Everyone hopes their neighbour will pay more so they will get a lot at his expense.
    All babbling about compassion, help to the poor, common good etc. is lie and bullshit. If this was truth they’d prefer not to pay taxes to have more money to help the poor and other stuff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by solid_L
    I think we should have private health care on insurance type schemes - because right now I don't think the NHS is fit to look after us

I beleive that the NHS has continuously improved; over recent years I've had many of my family members ill where they needed to go into hospital, and I was quite impressed.

What do people compare the NHS to when they say it's unfit to look after us? How it used to be? Because it has only ever improved, of course over recent years with increasing numbers of old people there has been a greater strain on the NHS to provide, and a few years ago waiting lists were a joke.

But I prefer having the NHS, rather than having a 'poor people' fallback health service, while all high earning middle class people and upper class people get private healthcare.

Ask yourself where we would be without the National Health Service. If you would prefer paying hundreds or sometimes thousands for private healthcare then by all means do, but remember that the majority of people in this country can't afford that. In America I *think* there's around 50 million people without medical insurance, because they cant afford it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by solid_L
    Rubbish! I see the NHS from two perspectives - I work for it and I'm a patient under the care of a local hospital for treatment and although I do see inefficiency in the way it is run I also see a lot of people trying very hard to increase services.

The problem is if you're an 'ordinary' person you won't have many dealings with the NHS. It is only the people with diseases and conditions that require monitoring that have enough dealings to see the changes. In our area we now have a Urgent Care team dedicated to reaching patients with COPD and other respiratory conditions within a half hour of an exacerbation of their condition. Unless you have one of those conditions you're unlikely to know about it.

Most people's dealings with the NHS go as far as the A&E department, and a hell of a lot of people go to A&E for the wrong reasons - which is why a lot of departments are seen as slow and inefficient.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Most people's dealings with the NHS go as far as the A&E department, and a hell of a lot of people go to A&E for the wrong reasons - which is why a lot of departments are seen as slow and inefficient.

I've had friends go to A&E if for example they fall over and their leg starts hurting if they put weight on it, a lot of parents are overprotective. I've been admitted twice in my life, once when I was about three and I grabbed the bars infront of an electric fire :rolleyes: and once when I was 7 I was referred by a doctor.
  • Options
    Re: With no income tax..

But you are quite happy to use the NHS for your mental health problems that were mentioned elsewhere. Why didn't you go private then?
  • Options
    The last time there were no taxes in Britain we ate mud, painted our faces blue and threw spears at each other.
  • Options
    Re: Re: With no income tax..
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    With no state funding... :o

Why should there be state funding??
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: With no income tax..
    Why should there be state funding??

Why do you use state funded services?
  • Options
    Re: Re: With no income tax..
    but then again ...we could have privatised emergancuy services ...navy ...air force and army. education and health care. no state housing.
    in fact lets do away with cops and courts and armies and everyfucking thing else.

Heh, no.

Government should be limited to protecting rights to person and property. So no health or state run education.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: With no income tax..
    Heh, no.

Government should be limited to protecting rights to person and property. So no health or state run education.

so lets make the poor people have no way out :D because they wont be able to fund their education. That way, we lose our graduates and the countries economy suffers! You might be a millionaire, but most people aren't. I bet it makes you sick that you have to pay taxes, that help other people, doesn't it?
  • Options
    I'd rather pay NO income tax so the state doesn't take MY property and hand it over to someone else. Welfare is force in that regard.
    because they wont be able to fund their education.

If a family earns £30,000 a year and pays NO income tax then it could afford to send their children to uni at only a thousand pounds a year!!
  • Options
    If a family earns £30,000 a year and pays NO income tax then it could afford to send their children to uni at only a thousand pounds a year!!

Yes, but thousands, even millions people earn less than 30k a year.

And once again, why do you use state funded services?
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    And once again, why do you use state funded services?
    Exactly Sole Liber - why do you use them if you are so against them?

And shyboy - people use A&E because they've run out of medication for heaven's sake. Hardly a good use of NHS time when it is their own fault they've run out!
  • Options
    I'd rather pay NO income tax so the state doesn't take MY property and hand it over to someone else. Welfare is force in that regard.

You do realise the state gives schools, colleges, nurserys and universities money don't you. Only a thousand pounds a year? The universities would go bankrupt.
  • Options
    Thr families I know who earn £30k a year can and do afford to send their children to university in spite of paying tax.

I've noticed it is usually the people who benefit most from the system of taxation that moan about it the most.

Also, I personally don't know anybody who has allowed having a low income to put them off going to university. It didn't stop me and I went to a very prestigious university. My parents gave me nothing. I paid all fees etc out of my student loan. If you want to go to university I don't think the cost (at the current level) should put you off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    And shyboy - people use A&E because they've run out of medication for heaven's sake. Hardly a good use of NHS time when it is their own fault they've run out!

I didn't know it was that bad, but I was agreeing with you before, people do overdramatise their own injuries.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    Why people pay taxes?
    First explanation is simple- just try not to pay. You’ll have great fun…
    But this is not enough. Why people don’t vote for a party which would abolish taxes?
    Because of greed.
    Everyone hopes their neighbour will pay more so they will get a lot at his expense.
    All babbling about compassion, help to the poor, common good etc. is lie and bullshit. If this was truth they’d prefer not to pay taxes to have more money to help the poor and other stuff.
    you have a typical thatcherite view.
    tell me when did the wealthy ever give over some of that wealth on a regular basis and of enough value to ever help build a modern nation?
    the trickle down effect maggie called it ...the richer the rich get ...the faster and more unhindered they do it the better for all as it trickles down to the people at the bottom. trickle was the only bit that was right.
    this trickle down effect that happens when the few are allowed to control the mostest didn't work in victorian times did it
    back then we we're the mightiest wealthiest empire this world had ever seen ...those who actualy did the fighting and the sweating to build that empire lived like fucking dogs ...where was the trickle down effect.
    tody ...those with more than enough fight against the minimum wage etc ...so no change there then.
    today ...the rich are paying more tax and the lowest earners less becuase of this labour government. the richet aren't paying any where near as much as they should be ...there is room to remove more of their dosh yet but still allow them to enjoy being extremely rich.
  • Options
    Who would build the roads?

How would we finance street lights?

Good education would be based on how much you could afford.

Demerit goods would be overvalued and merit goods would be undervalued leading to a loss of positive externalities and an increase of negative externatlities.

Who would pay for the government?

Who would pay for the police?

Who would pay for the Queen!!??!?!?!?! :lol: :eek: :lol:
  • Options
    Face it. More taxes will mean better services available for anyone and everyone in the long rung.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    Who would build the roads?

How would we finance street lights?

Good education would be based on how much you could afford.

Demerit goods would be overvalued and merit goods would be undervalued leading to a loss of positive externalities and an increase of negative externatlities.

Who would pay for the government?

Who would pay for the police?

Who would pay for the Queen!!??!?!?!?! :lol: :eek: :lol:

If government expenditure is about 5% of GDP, then you wouldn't need an income tax.
  • Options
    Income tax, National Insurance, VAT, Local tax.... all the same to me!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    Income tax, National Insurance, VAT, Local tax.... all the same to me!
    But they aren't though, they pay for different things.
  • Options

more like £13000/year!!!! or more for medcine or science based subject
  • Options
    State doesn’t pay for anything, including roads, education, street lights, the police so on. You pay. State just takes away your money and pretends it is done for your own happiness.
    Do you still don’t understand how the system works? From every five pence of taxes one goes to feed taxmen, one goes to special interest groups, one is wasted, one is stolen. So you have the fifth part of your money in return and are bloody happy that the government cares about you. Poor fools…
    “The rich only can afford education and health care in free market system” bla-bla-bla. If the government didn’t distribute shoes the whole nation would walk barefooted. This kind of logics
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    State doesn’t pay for anything, including roads, education, street lights, the police so on. You pay. State just takes away your money and pretends it is done for your own happiness.
    Do you still don’t understand how the system works? From every five pence of taxes one goes to feed taxmen, one goes to special interest groups, one is wasted, one is stolen. So you have the fifth part of your money in return and are bloody happy that the government cares about you. Poor fools…
    “The rich only can afford education and health care in free market system” bla-bla-bla. If the government didn’t distribute shoes the whole nation would walk barefooted. This kind of logics

I think we are all aware that we, the taxpayer, pay for public services. But most people don't care, because most people benefit. I use the roads, I received a great education, I like street lighting etc etc. What is your point? We are all aware it is us wh pays. Can you imagine a society without those things? It would be the middle ages.

Please, give an example of a modern society that works without taxation for public services! Also, I assume you don't use any public services then?