Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Benefits for unemployed/part time workers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it that some people can get every benefit going, yet some people suffer on the breadline ?
Some people can claim for almost anything (yes they probs know all the fiddles). So what concerns me is that your average fella who has never claimed unemployment benefit and now finds himself unemployed is having to live on next to nothing.......seems very unfair, when other people have been unemployed for a long time and appear to get every benefit available.

So for anyone who may know the benefit system id like you to tell me what benefits a man can claim whilst he is unmeployed, he has a wife and a child to support. The system changed some years back and apparently he will not get help withhis mortgage for 40 weeks........now thats gotta be wrong ? surely ? yet if im right someone who lives in council accomodation will get full housing benefit.....please correct me if im wrong as im not 100% positive on that one.

The system needs adressing, your average man who's never been out of work is being punished because he cannot pay a mortgage which he took out several years ago, well before he became unemployed.

any info, advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about being vague but im not too hot on all the benefits out there.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Benefits for unemployed/part time workers
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

any info, advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about being vague but im not too hot on all the benefits out there.
    from what i can gather the rules keep changing so it's very hard to keep up.
    go to the CAB.
    find your welfare rights officer.
  • Options
    The system is fucked. Very complicated too. I had some training on benefit rules at work a couple of months ago (most of which I've forgotten :o ), and the trainer had been working in that field for years and still didn't know everything.
    mr's right, see your local CAB if you can.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Benefits for unemployed/part time workers
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    from what i can gather the rules keep changing so it's very hard to keep up.
    go to the CAB.
    find your welfare rights officer.

I went to the CAB, queue was a mile long and I had to leave to pick little un up :(

Ive looked on the dhss website but to be honest Im wanting to know more about exceptions regarding this mortgage payment thing. apparently if you took your mortgage out like we did in 93 then you can get help with mortgage but the rules changed and because approx 6 years ago we changed lenders it means we do not qualify.
  • Options
    Also how long does a lender let you get away without paying your mortgage ? ish ?

Hurrah, never been in arrears with my mortgage but by next month thats gonna change. So how long before im on the streets ? then will I be rehoused........fooking joke, there are no council houses and as i speak now the homeless unit is full to the brim.
    Whats Tony gonna do for me ?
  • Options
    you can get insurance to pay your mortgage if you somehow become unable to pay it.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Benefits for unemployed/part time workers
    I went to the CAB, queue was a mile long and I had to leave to pick little un up :(

sorry chuck but your going to have to find the time to join that queue. take all relevant paperwork with you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    you can get insurance to pay your mortgage if you somehow become unable to pay it.

We didnt take it out when we took the mortgage. Didnt think we'd need it :(
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Benefits for unemployed/part time workers
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    sorry chuck but your going to have to find the time to join that queue. take all relevant paperwork with you.

Yeah im off in the morning, gonna get first place in that queue.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Because filling out al the paper work and contacting the relevant people takes quite a bit of effort people (I was at least) are inclined to go out and find a job.

What if I told you this person has been looking for employment, searched through newspapers, job centers, jobcentre websites and cannot get a job ?
    Some people try but because of their age, lack of experience etc etc they are penalised. This person has paid all his taxes since he left school at 16 years old and now he needs help they tell him to fuck off and get in the gutter.......basically how it feels, anyhow.

The last job interview he had he didnt get it because the guy who beat him was younger, or so he was told.
  • Options
    The whole system is messed up, the cash is diverted to people who only need it because they can't be bothered to earn a proper living instead of to those in society who have hit a temporary snag.
  • Options
    I you aren't going to be able to pay your mortgage you should tell your lender and see what they say - sometimes they can give you breaks etc. My dad is currently supporting us off disability allowance, child support, and things like that :confused: it's not a huge amount but we can afford the food with it :p.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    it's dead easy to get on the social security. Just say you have a bad leg or something and your on, make it all up that it hurts etc because they wioll never know. I know loads, I mean loads of people who are faking it. The system is proper messed up if people can do this.

You're so full of shit. How do you know how easy it is? You ever tried?

Stop making stuff up you dick.
  • Options
    You know fuck all about it. Have you tried it? No. So shut it.
  • Options
    Luke it is very clear that you're making this stuff up based on wrong assumptions, misconceptions and bullshit and myths spread by the likes of Richard Littledick.

If you want to be taken more seriously then you must stop making things up.
  • Options
    Luke
    :confused: this is you

:wave: this is a clue

:confused::heart::wave: get a clue
  • Options
    Just say you have a bad leg or something and your on, make it all up that it hurts etc because they wioll never know.

Have to agree its very easier to be a liar and a cheat, but one things stopping me there.........My hubby aint no liar and he's no cheat !!!!

Im talking about people who hit hard times and at this moment are unemployed......NOT sick.

So until you can offer me advice just shut the fuck up.......thank you.
  • Options
    What about casual work with a temping agency? It depends what skills he has and if he wants a pay cut or not unfortunately, but work is work.
    Beauty of temp work means he can choose his own hours, giving him time to prepare for another career.
  • Options
    I don't know much about it but when you take out a mortgage you should also take out some kind of insurance that will pay for your mortgage repayments for a certain amount of weeks......that way you are taking some responsibility for it yourself and not having to rely on the Government for the first 40 weeks.
  • Options
    what about you getting a PT job to tide you over till your hubby finds work again. If you both look, then youve got twice the chance of getting something, and you havent got the problem of having been unemployed on your CV, because youve got a child, thats the perfect reason. You might well find it easier than your partner to get a job.
    What did you used to do before you had Becks?
    Youd still be able to get WFTC for money to live on, but it might give you enough to pay the mortgage with your wages.
    Hope something turns up.
  • Options
    Becky, my job is to try and get people to have benefit assessments to see if there is anything that they are entitled to.

There is a free phone number that you can ring - an advisor will ask you some questions and then will be able to tell you if you can claim anything that might help.

0800 072 9006
  • Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for the help and advice people have given :)

Today, unexpectedly he found himself a full time job, albeit low wages......but its a job. So im in a bit happier mood :D

Thanks for the support, much appreciated :)
  • Options
    I'm glad something worked out :)
  • Options

Today, unexpectedly he found himself a full time job, albeit low wages......but its a job. So im in a bit happier mood :D

Thats brilliant Becky, glad its worked out. Of course your WFTC should increase if hes on a lower wage, which should bump it up.
  • Options

i'm not sure about this but ...i think you can claim something that ensures you have a minimum income of two hundred pounds a week if your earning low money.
  • Options
    Some people do undoubtedly cheat the system. But its not as easy as you make out.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    BeckyBoo, I am very glad to hear the news about your hubby's job! Must be a relief for you.
  • Options
    your not at all worth it if you think I'm lying. just shows what a fool you are if you can't believe that people are cheating the system big time.

Like Blagsta said, there is no doubt a few people are cheating. But I refer you to your earlier comment:
    I know loads, I mean loads of people who are faking it.

Do you really Luke? Do you?
  • Options
    And you know that for a fact do you? You know that they are sick, you know that they are claiming benefits, and you know that they're working on the side.

Yeah.
  • Options
    they immigrnats and are therefore claiming thousands of pounds of benefits a weeks.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I do know that for a fact. want evidense? Come to stoke and I'd be very pleased to show you.
    Would you mind telling us how do you know "for a fact" though? Do people knock on your door and say ''Alright mate, I'm claiming sick benefits and doing cash-in-hand jobs, what a doodle!", or thereabouts?

Or is it that you simply believe they're doing it, or you've heard from a third party?

I'm sorry but the "I know for a fact my cousins got pregnant to get free houses" claim is still fresh in my memory and one cannot help but draw parallels