Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does political affiliation separate us from others most efficiently?

First of all, I apologise if the title or theme of this thread doesn’t' make any sense as I'm a bit pissed.

I was just wondering what was the most obvious 'divider' amongst people. My opinion is that most people are divided by politics. Not race, nationality, hair colour, favourite football club, etc... but politics.

This drunken conclusion was prompted by a comment by my dad, a fairly easy going chap, who was talking to me about a relative of ours on the phone. This man is called Jose, and in my family he's known as Jose the Fascist- even though he's not fascist as such; it's just that he's rather right wing so that's the nickname he's got.

The point is, he would never be known to us as 'Jose the Atleti Madrid supporter' or 'Jose the poker card player'. Our definition of him is marked by his political affiliation (and again, I should point out that he's no fascist himself, just the nickname he has).

So is politics the single most important factor to consider when cataloguing/judging others? Even above race, nationality or place of residence? Why are the political beliefs of others so important to us?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most people don't care or lack an in depth knowledge of politics.

And it's not due to the modern occurance of apathy, it's probably always been the case.

So I don't think people primarily judge others based on their political views.
  • Options
    Yeah I guess that might be the case in this country.

In Spain however the leftwing vs. rightwing divide still exists and is ever present. Even 60 years after the Civil War the wounds of that terrible conflict still divide the people of Spain into 'reds' and 'blues'. According to some anyway.

I'm just curious about how we seem to be more prejudiced about other people's political beliefs than about anything else.
  • Options
    Depends where you are.

In Denmark people tend to over-look this. And people in politics are married to each other regardless of their position in the different parties.

Though places with hot-blooded people (as I call them) tend to make more of an issue regarding political affiliation.
  • Options
    Have a lollipop...
  • Options
    Oh dear I was pissed last night. Don't even remember posting this...

As a matter of fact I still feel pissed. I shouldn't be at work...

Don't mind me...
  • Options
    You spell exceptionally well for someone who's drunk I can say :yes:
  • Options
    I tend to spell check things. I imagine I nearly made the spell checker explode last night...
  • Options
    Where's there a spell-checking function?
    Urgh, I need that!
  • Options
    Im not sure if it is the biggest factor. It seems some of my best friends are Conservatives or other right wing parties whilst i am usually refered to as 'The Commie' Although When we do get into political debates it does get rather tense. Its a shame i live here i guess people are bound to be right wing.
  • Options
    Where do you live Renzokuken?

Jacqs, I usually paste my posts onto Word and spell check them there before sending them. Though not always because it can be a pain. I also tend to forget to delete the word document afterwards and a couple of times my colleagues have come across my rantings and wondered what the hell was all of that about... :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Where do you live Renzokuken?

I live in Buckinghamshire, die hard Conservative area. Though i think the MP was a Liberal once.....sometime in the 1920's :(
  • Options
    I used to do that when we had dial-up.

My dad was not happy when he saw the most recent document being infested with swear-words... :blush:
  • Options
    I live in Buckinghamshire, die hard Conservative area

If you dont like it , why dont you move to Cube or China , theyre nice and communist.
  • Options
    Then again the Middle Englanders could move to the country of their dreams 3,000 miles to the west and leave the rest of us in blissful peace. :)
  • Options
    Middle Englanders

You have an exteremely perverted view of England.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    If you dont like it , why dont you move to Cube or China , theyre nice and communist.

That was uncalled for. Its not mearly a matter of moving away. Anyway in response to your idiotic statement

Well 1. I have only just turned 18.

2.I am studying here for my A Levels.

3. I didn't choose to be her anyway, i was moved up from Cardiff when i was 6.

4. I'll be going to Exeter University in October anyway.
  • Options
    Renzo, if everything fails we'll study the same place maybe :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Renzo, if everything fails we'll study the same place maybe :p

Freaky :crazyeyes

You applying to start at whatever uni this october or next october? Im sure this is in the student forum but i cant be arsed to look as i have to go get ready for a completely Pointless General Studies exam. (which exeter wont accept anyway)
  • Options
    applying next fall, so I can start in the fall of 2005.
    Though so far Exeter is only a maybe on my list. Since they still haven't sent me a prospectus, just like Kings and Warwick...
  • Options
    Do they also have International Relations there, btw?

What other unis did you apply to?
  • Options
    Do they also have International Relations there, btw?

What other unis did you apply to?

Yeah they have International Relations according to this years prospectus anyway. Im just doing Politics though, although i might change to Politics and Philosophy when im there

I also applied to

Lancaster (my insurance choice)
    Leicester
    Sheffield
    Swansea
    Aberyswyth

Its weird Lancaster is ranked 6th for politics and offered me BCC while Exeter is 10th and want BBB
  • Options
    When do you get an answer?
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Do you ever say anything intelligent? :confused:
  • Options
    When do you get an answer?

Each Uni will give you an offer (or rejection) once they have dealt with you. It depends when you get in in i guess. It took about a month to get all my offers, though that was over the christmas holidays. I received all my offers between January 7th and January 21st
  • Options
    What did you highlight in your personal statement regarding wanting to study politics, if one may ask?
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    So that's where I've been going wrong geographically all these years :p

*turns head upside down*

Well...Aylesbury is slightly up Kind of..... See
  • Options
    applying next fall, so I can start in the fall of 2005.
    Though so far Exeter is only a maybe on my list. Since they still haven't sent me a prospectus, just like Kings and Warwick...

Exeter? Make sure you visit before you decide.
  • Options
    I doubt I'll visit anywhere. Unless I get asked to come for interviews.

Either way, it's an option I am gonna put on, if I don't find anything else.

Which places would you recommend?
  • Options
    I don't know too much about the best Uni's for your intended course, Jacqs. Its just knowing your love of city life and shopping I'm sure you would be disappointed with Exeter.

Its a very small city in a mainly rural county, nice place but to be honest a little dull.

Personally would recommend: Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff,London, Manchester as good cities for cultural life outside of studying. (all have Int.Rel courses).