Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does political affiliation separate us from others most efficiently?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    I don't know too much about the best Uni's for your intended course, Jacqs. Its just knowing your love of city life and shopping I'm sure you would be disappointed with Exeter.

Its a very small city in a mainly rural county, nice place but to be honest a little dull.

Personally would recommend: Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff,London, Manchester as good cities for cultural life outside of studying. (all have Int.Rel courses).

I didn't think so. It had a nice Campus, and the city is nice. From the tour it seems there are alot of student type places
  • Options
    Well, I am definitely applying to the LSE, Cambridge (if I can get used to the college sytem they have - don't like the idea) Sheffield, Manchester, Warwick (again the problem of being placed in a stupid location), and then I have an option open...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I didn't think so. It had a nice Campus, and the city is nice. From the tour it seems there are alot of student type places

Thing is that I am a city girl. I go crazy when it's too quiet.
    I could never fully appericiate the countryside, or even a holiday there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

My quote: 'Its a very small city in a mainly rural county, nice place but to be honest a little dull.'

I agree Renz, I've stayed there on a weekend before and visited quite a few times. Yes there is a student scene but the city itself is small and your miles from an alternative if you fancy something different.
  • Options
    My quote: 'Its a very small city in a mainly rural county, nice place but to be honest a little dull.'

I agree Renz, I've stayed there on a weekend before and visited quite a few times. Yes there is a student scene but the city itself is small and your miles from an alternative if you fancy something different.

Meh beats where i live though atleast :p
  • Options
    Getting back to what the thread was about...
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    So is politics the single most important factor to consider when cataloguing/judging others? Even above race, nationality or place of residence? Why are the political beliefs of others so important to us?

We (in theory) choose our political beliefs, wich are a sum of ideas and morals. It can be seen as a guide on how you would act. If we don't know the person, and we haven't been able to judge them by their actions, their words and ways are second best.

But that is not primary, not even in Spain. Most Spaniards when seeing an arab will not think ¿rojo o facha? they'll just think moro.

I'm glad to say that one of my nicknames, sometimes used as an insult :confused: , was El Rojo (the red (the commie)).
  • Options
    Yes, I've met a few 'rojos' and 'fachas' in my time. Sometimes even children got given the nickname. There was this girl in my class whose father was the chairman of the local PCE association so 'naturally' people started calling her 'la roja'. When her dad found out he went to the school and gave the teacher a massive bollocking in front of the class :D

I guess (at least concerning white Spaniards) that we are prepared to categorise people into those two groups all too readily in Spain. Then again the scars of the civil war are not quite yet closed.
  • Options
    sorry still on the side track,
    Exeter? Make sure you visit before you decide.

its a fine place, a good city and a good uni

Renzokuken/Jacq - if you need any local info then feel free to PM
  • Options
    and now on topic

politics, religion, football

in fact football is probably more powerful separtater than politics