Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Berg video another fraud?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Very interesting and worth the look. But his first statement makes me wonder :-

"1) Most people replied by asserting that the execution occured as retribution to the abuse photos that had surfaced, but you have to ask yourself - do these terrorists, who are clearly capable of brainwashing people to the point where they are willing to kill and be killed for their beliefs, really have no concept of political tact? Here they are, the whole world screaming at the US for hypocrisy and injustice over these pictures, and they perform and publish this execution right in the heat of the scandal. In other words, these masters of brainwashing and spin and deception release a video of a despicable act just as the US, their sworn enemy, is being globally grilled. Does this make sense to you?"

Well, if this is the case, why have the alleged perpetrators not protested this via the media or their web sites? Just a thought ....

Hmmmmm. I think it would depend on what they saw as the bigger cause. Would they care how they came over to the rest of the world more than scaring people out of Iraq? Nicholas Berg was a contractor and I would imagine that people like him will be needed in rebuilding. Executing him in such a brutal and public way could scare a lot of contractors away. I don't know how quickly Al-Quaeda admit responsibility.

I'm a bit confused by it all to be perfectly honest. I won't watch the video so there's no way I can really form an opinion about the authenticity. From what I've read however, I'm beginning to doubt that he was actually alive during the filmed incident. Perhaps his kidnappers just didn't have it in them to kill someone like that?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We're not the country setting up places like these
    http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=99204&in_page_id=1770

The USA has about 3000 people in custody globally, in countries like Jordan where torture is legal.
    The true mark of a civilised nation.

Where have I said Britain is the greatest country? I haven't, I've stated my opinion that out of the 2 nations involved most in the war, the UK can take the moral highground because we aren't setting up gulag style prison camps and routinely torturing prisoners.
    Our government may be full of tossers, but at least we don't wage a war on moral grounds and use examples of Saddam's torture and mistreatment of civilians, then DO EXACTLY THE SAME FUCKING THING.
    I'm taking the moral highground because the UK went into the war with good intentions. To get rid of WMD's, and to get rid of Saddam. We didn't go there to seize oil or send people to prison. Have you seen the photos of POW's at the UK camps? They have better conditions than their families on the outside.

Denmark being kind to a race of people has nothing to do with this argument, especially as they were warned days in advance by sympathetic German commanders that the Gestapo would be coming.
    At the end of the war the Germans even sent the Danish jews back to Denmark in thanks for Denmark's general level of occupied co-operation during the war.

As for the video, I've seen it. There is no way he was alive when they beheaded him, he didn't attempt to struggle, he didn't make any noise when they were hacking his neck to pieces.