Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Right to secret abortion?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    so what would you have her do then? Have a kid at 14 and ruin her life? Having an abortion does not necessarily mean a life of guilt. Some women have it done and give it no further thought.

i think she is trying to say - that if her parents were informed, perhaps they could of actually discussed more better so even if she did have the abortion still, that there would be less chance of it
  • Options
    What sort of mother is she to release this story to the papers and have her 14 year old daughters identity splashed all over the media? No wonder the poor girl didn't want to talk to her mother if thats what she's like.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    no, once kids realise they cant keep things like this secret it might actually discourage them from doing it.

I think it would discourage a lot of them from going to a doctor in time, then there will be even more teenage mums with kids they don't want and can't look after.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Wrong (according to thesite anyway*). According to the Sexual Offences Act 2003, it is a criminal offence for any kind of sexual activity to take place between two people where one or both participants is under 16.

* http://www.thesite.org.uk/youthnet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=130&a=457

The Sexual Offences Act 2003 has not yet come into force, as far as I am aware. I may have missed it though.

I knew the SOA 2003 was upcoming, hence the caveat "the law is in the process of being changed".
  • Options
    Teagan, if she is very unlikely to have a mature view on whether to keep it or not then that does not mean the default position should be to keep it; if she's too immature to make one decision, she is too immature to make them all, so your point is rendered meaningless.

She had sex. Yes, she should have waited until she was 16, but she didn't. Big deal. It happens, deal with it.

I deeply resent your insinuations and assumptions about those who have abortions. Contrary to popular (and ill-informed) opinion most who have abortions are not promiscuous little sluts who can't keep their legs shut, they are people who have taken precautions and they have failed. Often they are in steady relationships but they do not want a child, or they do not feel able to look after the child, and do not feel able to carry the pregnancy and have to give it up afterwards. What right have YOU to dictate to them what they should do in their life, and what right have YOU to stand there and say any woman who has an abortion "doesn't give a shit abnout the child". Of course they fucking do you imbecile, it's just that they've weighed up the pros and cons and decided an abortion is better than bringing up a child; any assumption that they don't care is insulting, offensive, and shows your true opinion of abortions and those who have them.

As for the "secrecy" issue, what do you suggest? If abortions are not legally secret, then they will become illegally secret- and that means a return to back-street clinics, coat-hangers instead of medical machinery, and deaths of young women by the score.

If you are going to sit on a moralistic high horse at least have the decency to admit that you are a moralistic, bigoted fool.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    I think it would discourage a lot of them from going to a doctor in time, then there will be even more teenage mums with kids they don't want and can't look after.

Or graveyards full of teenage girls who have been kileld during backstreet abortions.

The odd pissed-off mother, who obviously wasn't the sort of person to be trusted anyway, or women being killed by people performing abortions with coat hangers? I know what my choice would be.
  • Options
    I don't think somebody is an adult until they're 18 anyway, but as the law goes, I think the parents should be told to under 18 year olds, partly so they can get support from the parents too.

As for boob-jobs, I don't believe they should be allowed for under 18s.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I don't think somebody is an adult until they're 18 anyway, but as the law goes, I think the parents should be told to under 18 year olds, partly so they can get support from the parents too.

As for boob-jobs, I don't believe they should be allowed for under 18s.

1. Even if that parent believes thats ex is immoral, and will kick their child out for getting pregnant?

The law of medical confidentiality is there for a REASON, i.e. to protect the patient. In many cases the patient sadly needs protecting- many parents are not kind and supportive. If a parent is kind and supportive they will get told; if they aren't they won't. Just because they are a child does not mean that their wishes should be usurped, not about something private.

And before anyone compares it to school, education is different as parents have a duty of care to ensure their children are educated.

2. Cosmetic surgery is limited by statutue to those over 16, or parental consent. Finding a surgeon who will operate on anyone below 18 or 19 is tough, because of clinical governance issues.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    1. Even if that parent believes thats ex is immoral, and will kick their child out for getting pregnant?

The law of medical confidentiality is there for a REASON, i.e. to protect the patient. In many cases the patient sadly needs protecting- many parents are not kind and supportive. If a parent is kind and supportive they will get told; if they aren't they won't. Just because they are a child does not mean that their wishes should be usurped, not about something private.

Aye, not all parents will take it too well, but then kids get kicked out for being gay, having inter-racial relationships and other things anyway.

One question... what if somebody close to the family raped the youth & then she was pregnant and decided to get the abortion. The family are say... strict Catholic and totally anti-abortion anyway (I hate to stereotype) and liable to kick her out... would ya tell them? At the same time the man close to the family could come back to hurt her if nobody is told...
  • Options
    who here honestly believes that a whole raft of caring professionals-teachers,health workers,social workers or doctors would consider it in the best interests for most girls to not involve their parents.They would be fully aware of how important that family support might be and I am convinced under most circumstances encourage girls to get the support of those that love them.

The fact that this girl's mother has given pictures for publication and her subsequent behaviour says everything about why the adults involved felt caution was required.Doesn't matter how angry you are,if you care about the welfare of your daughter you don't do that
  • Options
    Rainbow Brite has hit the nail right on the head there.

It flies in the face of public opinion, but as fara s I am aware abortion is not as easy as ordering a Big Mac, like the right-wing hate-rags like the Mail try to claim. I obviously wouldn't have experience, but that is what I've been told. And don't forget the Abortion Act still requires two doctors to agree, as far as I am aware.

MoonRat, you miss the point.

1. That is inexcusable behaviour, and does not excuse any other behaviour. Simple fact.

2. The girl would be under no obligation to tell the abortion people who the father was. However, if she told them she had been sexually assaulted in the home, medical confidence is negated and any healthcare professional HAS to tell Social Services about the issue.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What sort of mother is she to release this story to the papers and have her 14 year old daughters identity splashed all over the media? No wonder the poor girl didn't want to talk to her mother if thats what she's like.

god. exactly what i was thinking.

and where the hell did the boob job thing come in? a boob job is hardly the same. no one's gonna be faced with a human life to look after and a lifetime of responsibility if they don't have a boob job.

yes, some girls have babies at very young ages, and go on to make successes of their lives, and are really good parents. this girl obviously felt she couldn't do that. fair enough, no? and with a maternal role model who would behave so insensitively about what has probably been one of the most traumatic events of this girl's life, i really don't blame her.

should her parents have been told? no. her GP, and the medical staff who looked after her. no one else. if she wanted to tell other people, that's a decision that she should have made for herself.
  • Options
    where have i said she shouldnt of had the abortion???

i just said people should be informed, so hopefully they can make a more informed decision so less chance of depression later on etc etc, as the girl apparantly didnt want the abortion halfway thorugh her treatment by then she couldnt stop
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    i just said people should be informed, so hopefully they can make a more informed decision so less chance of depression later on etc etc, as the girl apparantly didnt want the abortion halfway thorugh her treatment by then she couldnt stop

But don't you find it strange how suddenly the girl changed her mind the second her mother found out? A bit too convenient that; the girl passes the buck, the motehr passes the buck, and "evil social workers" get to be slaughtered in the press again.

I do wonder what the hidden agenda on this story actually is. I doubt I will ever find out.