Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Right to secret abortion?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does a teenager under the age of 16 have the right to a secret abortion. Or should the Doctor or health practictioner in question inform her parents?

Comments

• Options
    no, once kids realise they cant keep things like this secret it might actually discourage them from doing it.
  • Options
    Re: Right to secret abortion?
    Originally posted by mariam
    Does a teenager under the age of 16 have the right to a secret abortion. Or should the Doctor or health practictioner in question inform her parents?
    If the doctor is a State-obeying sheep or a religious fundamentalist he should.
    If he is a honest guy believing in Oath of Hippocrates he shouldn’t.
  • Options
    Re: Right to secret abortion?
    Originally posted by mariam

d'oh. You'd have thought a mod would have nticed that we already have a thread going about this story... :p

But no, a Doctor should never inform the parents without the patients consent, or a court order.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    no, once kids realise they cant keep things like this secret it might actually discourage them from doing it.

because we don't have enough young people mired in poverty because they haeppent o be single parents, y'mean?
  • Options
    No, i meant it might discourage them from casual sex, or at least make them look into the possibility of using contraception.
  • Options
    No, i meant it might discourage them from casual sex, or at least make them look into the possibility of using contraception.

Bearing in mind the number of people who mistakenly think that they need parental consent now, I'd have said that this hasn;t worked.
  • Options
    absolutely. A woman or girl has the right to privacy over her own body, and its no business of anybody elses whether she has an abortion. A father has no right to know and nor does the girls parents. Obviously it is preferable if the girl has support, but she shouldnt be made to tell anybody or need anybody elses consent to do what she likes with her own body.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    A woman or girl has the right to privacy over her own body, and its no business of anybody elses whether she has an abortion. A father has no right to know and nor does the girls parents. Obviously it is preferable if the girl has support, but she shouldnt be made to tell anybody or need anybody elses consent to do what she likes with her own body.

Even if the girl is 14? I can understand at 16 but at 14, she is still officially recognised as being dependant on the support of her parents and under the age of consent. What would happen if she decided to make a bit of pocket money and have a kidney removed? Would patient/doctor confidentiality be upheld then?
  • Options
    absolutely. A woman or girl has the right to privacy over her own body, and its no business of anybody elses whether she has an abortion. A father has no right to know and nor does the girls parents. Obviously it is preferable if the girl has support, but she shouldnt be made to tell anybody or need anybody elses consent to do what she likes with her own body.

hmm a WOMAN has a right to choose but a minor of whom isnt able to make proper decisions, sure she can have a abortion but the parent should at least be informed.. hopeully itll lead to the girl actually being careful of she wants to have sex!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Even if the girl is 14? I can understand at 16 but at 14, she is still officially recognised as being dependant on the support of her parents and under the age of consent. What would happen if she decided to make a bit of pocket money and have a kidney removed? Would patient/doctor confidentiality be upheld then?
    Yes, even at 14 its still her body exclusively and not the property of her parents.

The kidney removal reference means nothing, as removing kidneys for money is illegal whatever your age, even if your parents consent.
  • Options
    well hypothetically put her in another country, and at 14 she is technically a minor and ireckon parental consent shouldnt be necessery but parents have to be informed 1st

and would you let a 14yr old have a boob job?
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    well hypothetically put her in another country

Hypothetically give her a pair of bollocks and she's suddenly a bloke. What's your point?

at 14 she is technically a minor and ireckon parental consent shouldnt be necessery but parents have to be informed 1st

No they don't. She is technically a minor, i.e. she is a dependent, but that does not mean she is dependent on her parents to make every decision she has to make. Her body, her life, her choice, age is irrelevant.

and would you let a 14yr old have a boob job?

<
    Point. You
    >

Clinical governance means that cosmetic surgery is not performed on those with changing bodies and changing minds. As clinical governance covers abortions under the Abortion Act 1967.
  • Options
    What would happen if she decided to make a bit of pocket money and have a kidney removed? Would patient/doctor confidentiality be upheld then?

What the hell are you on? Selling body parts for profit is ILLEGAL, and it wouldn't matter if she was 97 it would still be illegal.

She is a dependent, but she is not dependent on her parents to make decisions for her. Parents simply don't have that right; they have responsibility to provide for her and look after her, but the right to dictate does not come along with that. Simple as.

Her age is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No they don't. She is technically a minor, i.e. she is a dependent, but that does not mean she is dependent on her parents to make every decision she has to make. Her body, her life, her choice, age is irrelevant.

i didnt say her parents shuld make her decision for her, i said i think they should just know, even if they have no real say, like i think the father should know so hopefully some lessons are learnt from it

she knew about contraception etc etc as no matter what people say about sex education, it does try to drum into you that you should always wear protection unless you are in a stablerelationship and are willing to accept the risk of having kids repsonsibly

im not saying its her fault and she deserved it, but people really should be more responsible for the actions and accept the consequences
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    im not saying its her fault and she deserved it, but people really should be more responsible for the actions and accept the consequences

Contraception fails. Or didn't you consider that from your high horse?
  • Options

Were you ever a horny teenager?
    Education is the key, not dracononian laws.
  • Options

Innit. :)
  • Options
    Contraception fails. Or didn't you consider that from your high horse?

nope im yet to fall off, giddy up :lol:

seriously though, we dont know the full story and if she didnt use contraception, was the point i was trying to make

i just think people should just be honest with eachother
  • Options
    What the hell are you on? Selling body parts for profit is ILLEGAL, and it wouldn't matter if she was 97 it would still be illegal.

And what are you on you sarcastic git? Sex at 14 is illegal (I'm not making a judment here - it's just the way it is).
    She is a dependent, but she is not dependent on her parents to make decisions for her. Parents simply don't have that right; they have responsibility to provide for her and look after her, but the right to dictate does not come along with that. Simple as.

Her age is irrelevant.

So her parents do not need to make decisions about whether she goes to school or not, for instance? Being dependant is more than having food put on the table or having a roof provided over her head. Are you telling me that you would be okay if YOUR 14 year old daughter had an abortion behind your back? I'm sure you'd be the fist in line to bitch and moan.
  • Options
  • Options
    Are you telling me that you would be okay if YOUR 14 year old daughter had an abortion behind your back? I'm sure you'd be the fist in line to bitch and moan.
    I would be. if my daughter did that, Id feel upset that she felt that she couldnt tell me, but id respect that she had her reasons, and id support her. Id be pleased that the school had helped her when she felt she couldnt turn to me.
  • Options
    I would be. if my daughter did that, Id feel upset that she felt that she couldnt tell me, but id respect that she had her reasons, and id support her. Id be pleased that the school had helped her when she felt she couldnt turn to me.

Ditto.

And for your information, it is not yet illegal for a girl to have underage sex- the offence only applies to males having sex with underage girls. Though the law is in the progress of being changed.
  • Options
    So her parents do not need to make decisions about whether she goes to school or not, for instance? Being dependant is more than having food put on the table or having a roof provided over her head.

Parents have a duty of care to their child, that does not mean they have the right to be told confidential information about their child, because clinical confidentiality prevents it.

Parents of young children only know what their children's medical problems are because the duty of care means that they have to take them to the doctor. Unless your parent goes into the surgery with you then they have no right to know what was said.
  • Options
    Are you telling me that you would be okay if YOUR 14 year old daughter had an abortion behind your back? I'm sure you'd be the fist in line to bitch and moan.

I'd like to think that if I had a 14 year old daughter, she'd be able to talk to me or her mother about things like this. Unfortunately some children don't have understanding parents, they might run the risk of being thrown out or worse. I'd rather someone had the option of having an abortion without telling their parents if the other options are worse.
  • Options
    Well, can I just say that I am absolutely gobsmacked by your general opinions on this matter.

There are so many possible medical complications to an abortion (I realise, in this case, it was a chemical abortion) - let alone the stress and guilt that may be carried around for years afterwards due to the fact that she has snuffed out an unborn life (especially if she is then unable to conceive in later life).

At 14, she is very unlikely to have a mature view on whether to keep it or not and the risks/options involved. Furthermore, it sends the message to her that it's fine to have unprotected sex ... if some baby dare inconvenience her while she's out having 'fun', so what? Fucking flush the worthless little life out and move on to the next sexual encounter - there are plenty more secret abortions where that came from.

I am not anti-abortion or 'woman's (note woman - not girl) right to choose' but the implications to this are possibly far greater reaching.
  • Options
    Well, can I just say that I am absolutely gobsmacked by your general opinions on this matter.

There are so many possible medical complications to an abortion (I realise, in this case, it was a chemical abortion) - let alone the stress and guilt that may be carried around for years afterwards due to the fact that she has snuffed out an unborn life (especially if she is then unable to conceive in later life).

At 14, she is very unlikely to have a mature view on whether to keep it or not and the risks/options involved. Furthermore, it sends the message to her that it's fine to have unprotected sex ... if some baby dare inconvenience her while she's out having 'fun', so what? Fucking flush the worthless little life out and move on to the next sexual encounter - there are plenty more secret abortions where that came from.

I am not anti-abortion or 'woman's (note woman - not girl) right to choose' but the implications to this are possibly far greater reaching.

so what would you have her do then? Have a kid at 14 and ruin her life? Having an abortion does not necessarily mean a life of guilt. Some women have it done and give it no further thought.
  • Options
    Ditto.

And for your information, it is not yet illegal for a girl to have underage sex- the offence only applies to males having sex with underage girls. Though the law is in the progress of being changed.

Wrong (according to thesite anyway*). According to the Sexual Offences Act 2003, it is a criminal offence for any kind of sexual activity to take place between two people where one or both participants is under 16.

* http://www.thesite.org.uk/youthnet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=130&a=457
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    so what would you have her do then? Have a kid at 14 and ruin her life? Having an abortion does not necessarily mean a life of guilt. Some women have it done and give it no further thought.

And having a kid doesn't "neccessarily mean" that her life is "ruined". Many woman have done it and are happy of their decisions ... but this is going off topic.
  • Options
    And having a kid doesn't "neccessarily mean" that her life is "ruined". Many woman have done it and are happy of their decisions ... but this is going off topic.
    Well yes, you have gone completely off topic as soon as you started debating the rights and wrongs of abortion - thats not the point at all. Abortion actually puts far less strain on the body than carrying a baby to term, so talking about abortion being a huge health risk is innacurate. Its a health risk compared to not being pregnant in the first place, but its actually safer to have an abortion than to give birth, ESPECIALLY when youre talking about such a young girl, whos body possibly still needs to develop more before she could safely deliver a baby.
  • Options