Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wanna cut teenage pregnancies? Tell the kids to 69 instead!

Latest government study reveals that:

"Encouraging schoolchildren to experiment with oral sex could prove the most effective way of curbing teenage pregnancy rates, a government study has found.

Pupils under 16 who were taught to consider other forms of 'intimacy' such as oral sex were significantly less likely to engage in full intercourse, it was revealed."

Full story here.

Why oh why didn't we get this sort of advice when I was a teen? :D;)

Any thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Haven't read the article, as I am supposed to do some other stuff.

But surely it won't help against STIs to keep it oral.
  • Options
    No it won't. But I guess since teenagers don't seem to be wanting to use protection regardless of what they do, you might as well limit the damage and avoid pregancy where possible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No it won't. But I guess since teenagers don't seem to be wanting to use protection regardless of what they do

Nah, merely depends on which kind of teenagers you're talking about.
    Though it's only natural when the same kind of people who end up pregnant or with a wide basis for pregnancy scares are the same who usually experience STIs.
  • Options
    Re: Wanna cut teenage pregnancies? Tell the kids to 69 instead!
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Pupils under 16 who were taught to consider other forms of 'intimacy' such as oral sex were significantly less likely to engage in full intercourse, it was revealed."

Any thoughts?
    :yes: I was the Queen of Random Blowjobs at school but didn't lose my virginity until I was 19 and in love.
  • Options
    hmm dont fink it wuld work, its like tellin all the girls to do anal instead which is what happens in america to stay apparant 'virgins' (my mate in halls can confirm this for me! :crazyeyes )

and the ones who werent gona have sex b4, more of them will be persuaded to give head, and as we all know it can lead onto other things ;)

its not that kids are having sex is the problem, its the situations in which its being done (ie non-relationship sleeping round/gangbang)
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    hmm dont fink it wuld work, its like tellin all the girls to do anal instead which is what happens in america to stay apparant 'virgins' (my mate in halls can confirm this for me! :crazyeyes )
    :eek: Really? Only in America hey.
  • Options
    Eeeew, gross :yuck:
    its not that kids are having sex is the problem, its the situations in which its being done (ie non-relationship sleeping round/gangbang)
    True.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    :eek: Really? Only in America hey.

yes he was in utah for a yr though where they dont teach sex ed at all, and dont teach evolution theory i fink tooo
  • Options
    One of my friends went to a Catholic school and they had no sex ed at all. Really bad I think. She ended up losing her virginity on a one night stand to somebody in the Thai mafia (on a balcony).

One of their geography teachers mentioned something about availability of contaceptions in third world countries and was never allowed to teach at that school again.

Edited to add: she didn't know he was in the mafia at the time... she just knew he had lots of money and no job and was curious as to where he got it all from.
  • Options
    Now I went to a catholic school and my entire sex education was "right lads, don't". Which is, of course, incredibly helpful.

Personally I think the easiest way to get kids to stop sleeping around is to show them pictures of deformed genitals and say that if you don't use a condom no girl will ever want to suck off your warty cock ever again, and maybe mention just how STD tests are preformed on men.

Keep it asthetic and the results will come.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Personally I think the easiest way to get kids to stop sleeping around is to show them pictures of deformed genitals and say that if you don't use a condom no girl will ever want to suck off your warty cock ever again, and maybe mention just how STD tests are preformed on men.
    :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    and maybe mention just how STD tests are preformed on men.

Where they take the tube and stick it up your ure...

yeah, my dad was telling me that he has had it done, by one of his mates.:eek2: He put me off having unsafe sex and becoming friends with doctors for life.
  • Options
    dat wuld work on guys but the fing about wot happens to genitals, people fink "that wont happen to me"

and its fact people up to a reasonably mature age care more about short term goals (ie gettin laid) than long term goals (health)
  • Options
    thats the problem it isnt just sex ed they shuld be teaching, they shuld be teachin sex and relationship education,
  • Options
    they shuld be teachin sex and relationship education,
    Indeed. I quite agree.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    where the hell is the world going now? this will create more pregnacies by telling kids how to do it.
    Judging by the number of teenage pregnancies Lukesh I think it's fair to say that the kids know 'how to do it' very well indeed.

The problem is to teach them how to do it with common sense (i.e. restrain and use of contraception). Sadly not many are listening so the government is trying new avenues.

The bottom line is, you cannot refuse teenagers sex education and simply tell them they shouldn't do it at all any more than you can lock a hungry dog in a room with a steak and tell him not to eat it.
  • Options
    Personally I think the easiest way to get kids to stop sleeping around is to show them pictures of deformed genitals

In my opinion, scaremongering doesn't work.
    and maybe mention just how STD tests are preformed on men.

Just men? The tests done on a female aren't particularly nice either.
  • Options
    but what is being imposed now it rediculous!

If kids sexually experiment they won't be so rushed into full on sexual intercourse. Many young people the first step is sex, but if education can curb this train of thought, and people move on to other things before hand, then they don't just rush into it.

Kids need to be taught how to do it correctly, safely and sensibly, not just how to do it, because they are going to have sex anyway.
  • Options
    give out more Johnies, telling kids other positions isn't going to help, the fact is they're going to want to go the whole way so they can tell their mates they have lost their V-Plates.
  • Options
    Exactly, but they might as well be able to say they did and didn't get syphillis either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Where they take the tube and stick it up your ure...

Depends whats being tested for. HIV, hep, syphilis are all blood tests. Chlamydia and NSU are a urine test. AFAIK its only gonorrhea that is tested for with a swab in the urethra. Its not that big a deal either.

But yes, there needs to be more sexual education and more stress put on the need for safe sex.
  • Options
    where the hell is the world going now? this will create more pregnacies by telling kids how to do it.

Oh dear. :rolleyes: Are you really 16?
    Teenagers are gonna do it anyway. Education is the way forward.
  • Options
    but what is being imposed now it rediculous!

What exactly is being imposed? :confused:
  • Options
    yeah but tecahing us how to do a 69 is disgusting.

No way. 69's are fucking great! :D

Mmmmmm....69's....

*drool*
  • Options
    Eh? You kids didn't invent sex y'know. :rolleyes:
    I've been round the block a few times.
  • Options
    lol, suprised you know what they are!

misc6.jpg
  • Options
    yeah but tecahing us how to do a 69 is disgusting.

if anyone agrees with this... the world is going mad, god help us!

Why is a 69er disgusting? It's only sex innit? I mean lesbians engage in oral sex to make love, it's universal. Which reminds me of the song...

"Sit on my face and tell me that you love me,
    I'll sit on your face and tell you I love you too...
    I love to hear you oralise, when you're between my thighs...

And so on. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    give out more Johnies, telling kids other positions isn't going to help, the fact is they're going to want to go the whole way so they can tell their mates they have lost their V-Plates.
    A lot of young people lie to their "mates" and claim to have had sex when they haven't.

This attitude of virginity being "something to quickly lose" rather than give away to someone you really love is what needs to be challenged imo.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    This attitude of virginity being "something to quickly lose" rather than give away to someone you really love is what needs to be challenged imo.

Exactly.

What I find really disturbing is what a womens' refuge in Sunderland has said- they are now concerned about giving out protection to underage girls because they have found that underage girls are not having sex with their peers, but older teenagers and men. That is the really concerning thing about this- a lot of teenagers don't seem to be having sex with their peers, but are being used by older people who should know better.

Kids will ahve sex though, and older men will always pray on "tight young girls". It's a fact of life, sadly.

Magdal- scaremongering doesn't work, but telling people what the risks are would. I'm not saying like it is now, "don't have unprotected sex, you'll not be fertile"; if the attitude is if you have unprotected sex and catch something you'll never get laid again, that would help.

The thing is, a lot of young people see having unprotected sex as exciting, so any number of messages won't change that. The risk is sexy, apparently.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    dat wuld work on guys but the fing about wot happens to genitals, people fink "that wont happen to me"

and its fact people up to a reasonably mature age care more about short term goals (ie gettin laid) than long term goals (health)

Wheresmyplacebo, could you please stop using txtspk, you're slipping in to it again. I have copied this from the Good Manners Guide to refresh your memory -
    Text talk

There are reasons why text talk isn't the greatest way to communicate on these boards:
    1. There is no word limit, so you don't need to shorten words, although the odd u and 2 are allowed
    2. It may be faster for you to type, but it takes much longer to read, and the lack of punctuation also makes your posts hard to decipher. It puts people off responding.
    3. Text talk makes you look stupid and illiterate, sad but true. Board users will also assume that if you can't be bothered to write properly, why should they bother to try and help you.
    4. The search - if you write normally, the key words will be picked up when doing a search, helping you and others. One of the main reasons for our search not being as good as it could be is the use of text talk.