Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Talk to Frank.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I would be very grateful if you could give me your honest view of the Talk to Frank website.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    We would like you all to contribute to this one, but just remember that , although we would prefer your honest opinion, why you like/don't like it should be constructive not just an opportunity for a free for all.....
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't trust it all.

It seems like more of a Government 'scare tactic' website than an actual factual page where unbiased and true information can be gained on a wide range of drugs.

Some of the comments could even be deemed dangerous, by offering sometimes no mention of doses etc. umongst many other things.

I'll stick to Erowid
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    I'll stick to Erowid

:yes:

I have to say I did think the website was a bit of a mess.Haven't looked at it in the last few months, but when I did I was browsing the mushroom section and noticed they had listed psilocybin-bearing mushrooms and fly agarics as the same thing, which is very dangerous and could have potentially cost lives.

What if someone had gone out and eaten a fly agaric raw? Couldn't comment on it recently because Ihaven't been arsed to go back on.

Don't I feel the fool. :o
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by z0ma
    What if someone had gone out and eaten a fly agaric raw?

No problem in that.

Cooking/drying them only serves to make them more potent. They're not especially dangerous when raw. I've seen my mate eat several before cooking.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well i just went and had a look at the website, and to be honest i think its mainly lacking personal experiences (if there were any i couldn't find them :)) Also, it focuses a lot of not using drugs, what about using them safely? Hmm anyway it seemed alright, but nothing special and the same as z0ma and rise n shine, i'll stick to here and erowid.
  • Options
    I still find Erowid the drug takers bible because it's compiled by people such as ourselves.

I don't think frank is that bad though. Definately a step in the right direction. I'd expect the site to improve with time.

Nothing beats our own very lovely site though - with our own very lovely mods. :p Seriously though this forum is a bloody great source of info.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    *awaits bongbudda's response* :p
    :yes: :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    No problem in that.

Cooking/drying them only serves to make them more potent. They're not especially dangerous when raw. I've seen my mate eat several before cooking.

Fair enough, never tried them myself so couldn't comment.

From what I've heard/read though you're not meant to eat them raw because drying them converts all the ibotenic acid (some kind of poison?) into muscimol. :confused:
  • Options
    not been there but it has been mentioned here before by bong and others ...usualy in a very negative light.
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    Fair enough, never tried them myself so couldn't comment.

From what I've heard/read though you're not meant to eat them raw because drying them converts all the ibotenic acid (some kind of poison?) into muscimol. :confused:

Ibotenic acid isn't as active as muscimol. By drying or cooking the cap you help some of the ibotenic acid decarboxylate into muscimol.

It's the muscimol you want.

And you really shouldn't eat mushrooms raw - you never no what sort of parasite is them. :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Short and sweet, take this talk to frank off the internet and link Erowid from every website that talks about drugs in anyway at all, proper information is needed for people wanting to try new drugs, not shite like on talktofrank.

Erowid all the way and the gooddrugsguide.com is good too and don't forget these boards.
  • Options
    I've only really had a brief look at the Talk to Frank website, mainly 'cause when I wanna know about a drug, I'll go to a trusted source I've used before. ie here or sites like Erowid.

As a whole, the site isn't bad. It does what it says on the tin. Some of the information isn't totally accurate, though, and it'd be a really wise idea to re-check what they're saying before they submit it on the internet.

The main thing I noticed the site was lacking though, was articles on harm reduction. Alot of the people that visit the site I'm guessing would be first time users. Although the information that's given would be helpful to them, it's inevitable that they'll still try whatever drug, regardless of all the warnings. 'Frank' needs to realise this, and have in depth, easily acessable information on the subject. How to avoid overheating, ODing, what enviroments are best suited for first time users, what to do if anything goes wrong with either you or anyone you're with, lists of places/websites that sell pill testing kits etc.

Sure, there'll be alot of people against this, claiming it's encouraging drug use, but these people need to face reality. Drugs are a part of every day life. They're everywhere, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do to change that.
  • Options
    Personally I can agree with a lot of you, it does have some basic information and it is a definate move towards getting it right.

But, its just that though, its basic information with a lot missing, and some parts just plain wrong.

It has improved greatly since it started, but then that wasnt difficult it was SO poor and full of mistakes.

I just think it is greatly dissapointing, it is a missed opportunity, all that money put in and such a half arsed result.
  • Options
    I hadn't been on since it was first launched and yes they have made allot of improvements.

What you have to remember that this is a government run website so they have to very careful about what they say and cant be seen to glamorise drug use in anyway shape or form.

What is lacking is the personal touch as I feel this site would be more helpful to parents rather than to potential drug users. It needs personal experience from people that have taken drugs and really know what its all about.

All in all good information but could do better.

:crazyeyes
  • Options
    The obvious question is though, would you use this website as a source of information about drug use?
  • Options
    well, it seems like an okay site, bit official, down the line and I feel it would be better if there was more harm reduction stuff, because - people will always do drugs, no matter waht the govt. say or do.
    I think the money would be better spent supporting local organisations who would be able to offer a more personal service.
  • Options
    I don't take drugs but if I read anything on the subject then I'd look at Erowid. The Talk 2 Frank one is just.. ok.
  • Options
    Playing devil's advocate, if Talk to Frank was the only drugs information resource out there, how do you think it could it be improved?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Playing devil's advocate, if Talk to Frank was the only drugs information resource out there, how do you think it could it be improved?
    Originally posted by Kiezo

The main thing I noticed the site was lacking though, was articles on harm reduction. Alot of the people that visit the site I'm guessing would be first time users. Although the information that's given would be helpful to them, it's inevitable that they'll still try whatever drug, regardless of all the warnings. 'Frank' needs to realise this, and have in depth, easily acessable information on the subject. How to avoid overheating, ODing, dosage, what enviroments are best suited for first time users, what to do if anything goes wrong with either you or anyone you're with, lists of places/websites that sell pill testing kits etc.

Sure, there'll be alot of people against this, claiming it's encouraging drug use, but these people need to face reality. Drugs are a part of every day life. They're everywhere, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do to change that.

:razz:
  • Options
    i know kiezo did it first ..
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    to be honest i think its mainly lacking personal experiences (if there were any i couldn't find them :)) Also, it focuses a lot of not using drugs, what about using them safely?
  • Options
    how do you think it could it be improved?
    send bong over there for six months ...he's gotta be worth 25,000 p.a innit?
  • Options
    We would like you all to contribute to this one, but just remember that , although we would prefer your honest opinion, why you like/don't like it should be constructive not just an opportunity for a free for all.....
    I've not spent long on their as it's not really my thing but had a quick look to see what the guys on here were ranting on about. Whilst I can't comment on how valid the advice is as I wouldn't really know, the tone of the website looks like its aimed at school children (14 year olds maybe?). But then the Erowid website also has a rather strange layout... the "vaults" were all a bit much for me lol!!
  • Options
    :p at Keizo and Girl_gunner...... *sighs*
  • Options
    I think the general view is that people know its there, and some of the advice is good, but virtually none of us would actually use it.

Then even if the Government is giving out good advice we'd never read it, which is a shame.
  • Options
    I like some of the stuff there, but the stuff like packing fags in!!

I haven't smoked a fag since last Sunday night btw.. :D

Back to topic... The site is a good idea, has some good info and has a nice way about it..

The fact it's in-accurate and sometimes simply boring makes it rarely used!

I only click on there once every month or two to see what's happening, nothing much ever is..

Needs more entertainment too, as stupid as that sounds...
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Then even if the Government is giving out good advice we'd never read it, which is a shame.

I think it's down to the fact that government sources such as this haven't exactly been the most reliable up 'til now, and it's only natural people aren't gonna use this site instead of other sites that've served them well in the past.
  • Options
    Of course, but there are new younger users all the time and of course just because the Government hasnt been trustworthy in the past doesnt mean it wont always be.

Because mistakes have been made in the past it is doubly important that EVERY effort has to be made to make absolutely sure they are trustworthy now.
  • Options
    I just think it's a shame that something so well known and promoted is unfortunately an unreliable resource.

It could be made into so much more, overnight... bit of re-design of the site and a empty a bit of bongbuddas brain onto the pages it would be sorted :thumb:
  • Options
    Change the overall tone of the website.

And ensure the factual content is better.

I don't know about how accurate it is but for some reason I trust thesite users who've said it isn't accurate far more than the people employed by our government to set it up! Now I'm worried.