Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Treason

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry to bring this up.

If someone publicly burns the Union flag should they not be tried for treason and either serve a prision sentance or be expelled from the country? I'm sure if I stood some where in an Arabic state and burned a flag or celebrating that some Muslims were killed I would be a racist and get charged with stirring racial hatred or even be killed. Why don't anyone at Westminster seem to care what Muslims extremists do?

Comments

• Options
    Don't be stupid.
  • Options
    I always thought treason was when you killed the queen or something :eek2:

Burning a flag ain't gonna hurt people, but the BNP would milk the scenario to death.
  • Options
    Abu Hamza: British citizen

Treason: A crime that undermines the offender's government.

Abu Hamza has comitted treason.
  • Options
    So according to you, treason is anyone against the government? :eek:

I've committed treason in that case, along with the 10's of thousands who helped bring down Thatcher's government in the poll tax campaign.
  • Options
    Treason was an executionable offense until 1998.
  • Options
    It's also treason to purposely act to aid the country's enemies which hook was/is doing.
  • Options
    Was he? I don't know.

Anyway, whats that got to do with burning the flag?
  • Options
    Anyway, whats that got to do with burning the flag?

Because he stood in Finsbury park burning the Union Jack and saying how much he hates England and the west.
  • Options
    So what? Thats free speech that is. Deal with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    It's also treason to purposely act to aid the country's enemies which hook was/is doing.

You sure it was him burning the flag, the picture I saw in the papers showed someone else.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    does it matter if it was him? he is one of them with the same believes so they should be thrown to Yemen because they want them on trail.

It does matter if we are talking about him :yeees:
  • Options
    why?

Because he is the one that was accused of treason for burning the flag in the earlier post.
  • Options
    If I were in London i;d shoot that Abu Hamas.. there he is claiming bebefits and saying how he hates Western lifestyle. What a BIG hypercrite!

You'd shoot him would you? That would be a really clever thing to do...
  • Options
    What's the stupid deal with burning a flag??? You're not burning the Head of State herself or the Presidential Palace. You're burning a piece of cloth with some colours printed on it.

Treason? Please!

The only charge that could possibly (and on exceptional circumstances) be considered is incitement to public disorder or thereabouts. Treason refers to acts that, to put it very plain and simple, put the nation or its citizens in danger.

Flag burning is a provocation, and in certain circumstances could be considered an offence- mainly to do with seeking to provoke a violent retaliation and so on. But treason?

Some people have a very bizarre concept indeed of what constitutes one's nation/identity. Pity those who consider the pinnacle of their country and culture to be represented by a piece of cloth. Or a currency for that matter- though that's a different argument.
  • Options
    the police see it fit to close off a section of road when hamza is ranting to prevent the bnp and their ilk from disrupting his sermons, obviously they have a duty to uphold public order but i wonder how long hamza and his friends would stay in this country if the bnp were allowed near him?
  • Options
    the fact is in this country that the British people acmn't burn any other countries flag because this is racist but if someone burns out beautiful flag it's NOT racist. Crazy law!

Its not illegal to burn other countries flags.
    Hey mate, don't tell any of these that it's racist because you and me know and the rest of the country know it's racist. If I were in London i;d shoot that Abu Hamas.. there he is claiming bebefits and saying how he hates Western lifestyle. What a BIG hypercrite!

So you'd shoot anyone who disagrees with you? You've got more in common with Abu Hamza than you'd care to admit I think...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    If someone doesn't like it here, then they're a moron for staying...

I think its quite clever, him staying he is here for the long term with all those benefits he is receiving.
  • Options
    Don't you think the government and security services might have a reason for letting him stay? He's a known quantity, he can be kept an eye on. Deport him and theres a power vacuum, could be filled by anyone...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    I wasn't thinking about benefits, nor do I know what he recieves (or not).

I was just saying that if somewhere is nasty (or your perception of it says that it is) then why live there?

I really do not know, i think it has to be the money he is receiving!
  • Options
    Define "non british".
  • Options
    What? :confused:
  • Options
    Oh dear. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Treason:

A crime that undermines the offender's government

Disloyalty by virtue of subversive behavior

Fair enough about the others but these two are utter bollocks. Who's written them? President Mugabe?
  • Options
    so why is this abu hamas still not arested then?
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Don't you think the government and security services might have a reason for letting him stay? He's a known quantity, he can be kept an eye on. Deport him and theres a power vacuum, could be filled by anyone...
  • Options
    maybe but he is a threat because he is telling muslims to go aginst us. this is making terrorism grow.

My Muslim friends and work colleagues hold him in contempt. He's a joke, forget him.
  • Options
    What's the stupid deal with burning a flag???

That flag represents our country and all of what we stand for that's what. I just feel that if you are in this country you should respect it.

When is Rome, do as the Romans do.
  • Options
    What about free speech?
  • Options
    What about free speech? What about people (like me) who don't identify with the flag?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What about free speech? What about people (like me) who don't identify with the flag?

I'm with ya here.

The Union Jack means fuck all to me. that doesn't mean to say I'm gonna burn it. But so what if I do? If the flag means something to you, then good luck with it.

But don't tell me I can't do what I want with a piece of material with colours on it.
  • Options
    what do you mean... don't identify with the flag?

Just that. I don't identify with it. It means nothing to me.