Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prisons "full to bursting"

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I wouldn't say it was. The Tories agree with this too and they certainly not left.

Errrr...no they don't. The Tories agree with a "lock 'em up and throw away the key" solution.
  • Options
    I remember the Tories being in power. Do you?
  • Options
    No, it was worse. Admittedly Labour aren't much better. But they are...just.
  • Options
    No it wasn't.
  • Options
    Prison should be reserved for the thieves and ass rapists. The guards should be given absolute authority, and prison should become a place that should be feared. Forget rehabilitation, the people who would be sent to prison would be sent there for punishment, and they'd recieve it.

This really offends me, thieves and ass rapists? :confused: pardon? So are you saying only theft and buggery should be punishable offences or was it just a completely ignorant statement?
  • Options
    a lot of policies such as care in the community have failed with tragic results; schizophrenics stabbing people to death etc. i watched a court case about 8 years ago where a paedophile had abused his daughter from the age of 3 to 15. he got 3 years. this is not an isolated incident. longer sentences cost the taxpayer a fortune, this guy should have been given the lethal injection; impossible for him to re-offend and might also allow his victims to carry on with their lives.
  • Options
    Most schizophrenics are a danger to themselves, not other people. Yes, a lot of care in the community has failed. It would have been a good idea if it had been implemented with a view to reintegrating people back in the community and helping people live independently, rather than a cost saving exercise in the mental health services.

And no, paedophiles should not be killed.
  • Options
    im not suggesting that they be hung drawn and quartered, but as someone who works with children i cannot think of anything more abhorrent.
  • Options
    I can't either. But they shouldn't be killed. Murder is wrong, whether committed by an individual or by the state.
  • Options
    what should we do with them then? i think it's crazy that technically you could get a longer sentence for dealing pills than for abusing a child, sorry to go frothing at the mouth but it makes me mad; prison sentences do not seem to adequately reflect the nature of the crime!
  • Options
    Major Tom, I said ass RAPISTS.
    Or rapists in general. Where did i say gay people?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Major Tom
    what should we do with them then? i think it's crazy that technically you could get a longer sentence for dealing pills than for abusing a child, sorry to go frothing at the mouth but it makes me mad; prison sentences do not seem to adequately reflect the nature of the crime!

I agree. But state murder is not the answer. These people are ill. They should be locked away from society and made to undergo some form of therapy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    As for the prisoners "I have a cunning plan", there should be some kind of program set up for criminals to be allowed to serve a short stint in the army as low paid infantry.

Bad idea IMO. Train criminals to kill and use guns? Great idea.
    Couple that with the high rates of homelessness, drug abuse and alcoholism among ex-soldiers and you have a recipe for disaster.
    The army fucks people up, it doesn't sort them out.
  • Options
    Howabout just boot camp. No guns, no fighting. Teach them how to cook, how to clean, how to give respect and when to expect it and give them a trade.
    Teach them that wanting to be a rudeboy gangster will see them being shot by a police marksman one day.
    Most of all, teach them about discipline.
  • Options
    Thats what rehab is about for drug users. Equipping people with the self esteem, self respect and self-discipline to cope without drugs, alcohol or damaging co-dependent relationships.
    Its very hard work apparently, it forces people to do some quite intensive psycho-therapeutic work and confront some uncomfortable truths.
    Something like that might work.
  • Options
    I said ass RAPISTS. Or rapists in general. Where did i say gay people?

What are you talking about???:confused: