Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prisons "full to bursting"

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    You have such a simplistic view of people. Typical rightwinger really.

It's a pity it's a true and accurate reflection of life on a council estate then isn't it.
    Trust me, this is what is actually happening, I've seen it and i'm dealing with it.
    The answer isn't to throw more money at them, only for them to throw it back in our faces. It didn't happen 20 years ago and kids were better behaved, there's no reason for us to be doing it now.
    Instead these kids need to be taught the meaning of respect. respect for their peers, respect for life and property and respect for authority.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    It's a pity it's a true and accurate reflection of life on a council estate then isn't it.
    Trust me, this is what is actually happening, I've seen it and i'm dealing with it.
    The answer isn't to throw more money at them, only for them to throw it back in our faces. It didn't happen 20 years ago and kids were better behaved, there's no reason for us to be doing it now.
    Instead these kids need to be taught the meaning of respect. respect for their peers, respect for life and property and respect for authority.

Don't patronise me, I know what some council estates can be like.
    But don't you think we should be asking why some people behave like this? Asking what is it about our society that turns out people like this?
    And no, its not because we're not harsh enough. If prison worked, the prison population wouldn't be rising would it?
  • Options
    It didn't happen 20 years ago and kids were better behaved,

Errrr...yes it did.
  • Options
    Sorry Lukesh but you seemed to imply earlier than all criminals deserve to live in some sort of 14th century dungeon conditions to pay for their horrendous crimes.

Now you say that it is only those convicted of serious crimes such as murder, child abuse etc who deserve harder punishments. Well that's fair enough- but those people constitute a small majority of the prison population in this country.

The great majority of inmates are for non-serious crimes. Non-payment of fines or TV Licence, possession of drugs for personal consumption, many forms of non-violent crime... the list is endless.

So would you still like to see "more prisons built" as you said earlier, to accommodate all these thousands of people who are not a danger to society, or do you agree we're jailing too many people who should not be punished in such way?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    prison is too slack. sentences too short.

How do you know? Ever been inside? Ever visited anyone in prison? Know many ex cons do you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Don't patronise me, I know what some council estates can be like.
    But don't you think we should be asking why some people behave like this? Asking what is it about our society that turns out people like this?
    And no, its not because we're not harsh enough. If prison worked, the prison population wouldn't be rising would it?

Go on then, you suggest something? Why do some kids decide the only way to get their kicks is by setting stuff on fire, throwing stones at church parishoners and using younger kids as drugs mules.
    To me it seems a lack of discipline and an uncaring set of parents from an early age is to blame.
    But if you've got a better idea.
  • Options
    The death penalty, the 'ultimate deterrent' as some call it, appears to be completely useless in preventing murders in the US.

Doesn't that tell you that making prison worse, even a living hell, it's not going to prevent crime one iota?
  • Options
    Go on then, you suggest something? Why do some kids decide the only way to get their kicks is by setting stuff on fire, throwing stones at church parishoners and using younger kids as drugs mules.
    To me it seems a lack of discipline and an uncaring set of parents from an early age is to blame.
    But if you've got a better idea.

I always suggest things. You ignore them. Do a search if you like.
  • Options
    What harsh conditions would you like to see? It is the view of a civilised society and civilised countries that certain things should not be done to criminals regardless of their crimes.

Some people deserve (and get given) a life sentence without parole. That's fine by me. What else would you like to do? Whip them daily?
  • Options
    lots of people say that. they say you could walk the streets with out getting bothered. now you can't even step outside your house and your being abused. and yes i know ex cons.

You've lost me. :confused:
  • Options
    there you go again lol. Very funny.

I'll say again, them who have been put in prsion for daft reasons.. of course they don't deserve harsh conditions just a bit of education. Child killers etc they certainly deserve VERY harsh condiitons or is this aginst their human rights? BUt no one never thinks of the victims human rights.

Yes, child murderers should be locked up. But we should also try and find out why people commit horrendous crimes like this, to try and prevent it happening in the future.
  • Options
    lots of people said it was easier to walk through streets with out getting bothered. these days you can't walk out iof your house unless and you get cheek.

Sorry, still lost me. :confused:
  • Options
    hasrh setences will make them think before they try and do it and bring our sarahs law will make people extra vilgilant and will prevent anything happening but this crazy government doesn't think this.

As I've said - most people don't think about consequences. People are complex, with many differing motivations for things, some conscious, some unconscious.
    Maybe you'll realise this when you grow up a bit.
  • Options
    So if it were up to you would you set up a team of official rapists and torturers who get to work on those people every day, or something like that... Is that it?

Shouldn't you move to a place like Saddam Hussein's Iraq (somone who you were criticising as a monster the other day, if memory serves) where they used to do the things you are suggesting?
  • Options
    simply is that in todays britian, you can't walk through the streets with out getting some, it wasn't like that 20 years ago. i'm not doing it again cause your taking the micky.

Errrr...it was like that 20 years ago. Only difference now is that due the consumerist capitalist society we live in and the growing gap between the rich and poor, there is more stuff to steal and more jealousy.

I remember 20 years ago. Do you?
  • Options
    lmao
    Well... what do you suggest then?
  • Options
    I certainly don't as i wasn't even thought of.

People tell me. They believe that it's never been so bad as in crime and i agree. well since i was born and remember stuff.

Thats nostalgia for you. People always look at things through rose tinted specs, remember the good and forget the bad.
    Doesn't mean its true though.
    I do remember 20 years ago, and its about the same IMO.
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Rubbish (to lukesh's post)
  • Options
    What do you suggest then?
  • Options
    Something has been 'being done' about it since it started happening.

Child killers have always existed, and will always exist.

All those 'If it were down to me I'd end up child abuse and murders in weeks' types really make me laugh.
  • Options
    i've never seen to many peadophiles killing children. why? because sentences are weak.

LMFAO! You really aren't very bright are you?

So you've seen paedophiles kill children have you? Errr....OK. :eek:

And they do it because "sentences are weak" do they?

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You've only seen them through your lifetime though, haven't you?

Do you know on average how many children are murdered by child killers/abusers on average?

You'd think 50 or 100 per year, judging by the media endless coverage.

It is in fact around 8 per year. And that includes teenagers.

Compared that number with the number of children killed in road accidents (many hundreds).
  • Options
    get a Life!

Pardon? :confused:

Do you really think that people such as paedophiles, who are obviously mentally ill in some way, think about the consequences of their actions?

They don't.
  • Options
    they are ill.. I do believe that.

OK, now we're getting somewhere.
  • Options
    lol indeed!
  • Options
    You what?
  • Options
    i've always agreed with that. and don't think i agree with you because i certainyl don't!

So do you think that mentally ill people think about the consequences of their actions?

Do you not think it would be a good idea to find out why some people behave like this? And try and prevent it happening in the future?
  • Options
    I knew we could make a lefty out of you. :D
  • Options
    Thats a fundamental liberal left position.