Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gender Equality is a load of bollocks

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    On the note of pay...Women might get less (might I say as at my last company a secretary was getting paid thousands more than the heavy sales workers)...but they also have to pay less for things in life!

1) Car Insurance.

2) Club Entrance Fees.

3) Drinks in nightclubs (Girls drink free before 11 offers)

4) Clothing (equivalent quality mens clothing costs lots more)

And although there are men only snooker and golf clubs and maybe other places - There are plenty of women only areas. Women only gyms for example. Whilst I pay the same amount to use the rusted up free weights room the girls get their secluded and freshly decorated fitness pen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sir Cum
    On the note of pay...Women might get less (might I say as at my last company a secretary was getting paid thousands more than the heavy sales workers)...but they also have to pay less for things in life!

1) Car Insurance.

2) Club Entrance Fees.

3) Drinks in nightclubs (Girls drink free before 11 offers)

4) Clothing (equivalent quality mens clothing costs lots more)

What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

1) Because statistically they are safer drivers. Older drivers pay less than youger drivers for the same reason. As do people who drive less poserful cars.

2) Not in the clubs I go to.

3) Again, not in the clubs I go to.

4) Not in the shops I shop in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta

1) Because statistically they are safer drivers. Older drivers pay less than youger drivers for the same reason. As do people who drive less poserful cars.

Yeh thats right - Haven't been in any accidents...seen thousands!

I believe its not fair that because some capped teenage boy racers have a few crashes, me, a young male driver should be stuffed with a high insurance premium when I am a lot safer driver than many of the girls who get a low insurance premium due to a group of young, safe slow lane, nattering college girls in their KAs.
  • Options
    Thats insurance statistics for you.
  • Options
    Well I can't seem to find any stats even on the government site that state the male/female accident ratio so if anyone can find it that would be great but interestingly I found stats on the percentages of male and female drivers in the UK.

60% of the 30.3 million females in the UK have driving licenses.
    That is 18.1 million females driving.

82% of the 28.9 million males in the UK have driving licenses. That is 23.698 million Males driving.

56% of drivers are male.

Something tells me that if there are 500,000 road accidents in a year, chances are 280,000 of them will involve men! I wonder if this is taken into account on these statistics used by Diamond and all.

Anyway I shouldn't get worked up about it. The EU are currently putting through legislation to stop discounts for females on car insurance.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sir Cum
    Anyway I shouldn't get worked up about it. The EU are currently putting through legislation to stop discounts for females on car insurance.
    I agree with that, I dont think women should get discounts just for being women.
  • Options
    I don't either. But afaik, insurance rates are worked out using what are called actuarial tables, which show statistically how likely a particular claim is to be made. And statistically women drivers are safer than men.
  • Options
    I disagree if women are better drivers why shouldn't they benefit from that? Why should the insurance companies be allowed to charge them more in the interests of gender equality?
  • Options
    I'm saying that they shouldn't get benefits just because they are women. They should get benefits if they are statistically safer drivers. And they are, so they do.
  • Options
    cant mess with these acturial scientists u know...
    all you can do is prove em wrong to get no claims discounts!

and i have the feeling everyone in life gets a rough time for different things so it all levels out
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I don't either. But afaik, insurance rates are worked out using what are called actuarial tables, which show statistically how likely a particular claim is to be made. And statistically women drivers are safer than men.
    I dont think its particularly helpful though, and its still discrimination. I think everyone should have high insurance at first unless they do their pass plus or something. or maybe they should do more research eg what colour eyed people are safer drivers. If they decided to do research and found that white people were safer drivers than black people, they wouldnt be able to increase black peoples premiums, I think things like this do the cause no good at all.
  • Options
    I don't think it is discrimination. Much as I dislike insurance companies for being greedy fucks, I can understand this.
    Same as living in certain postcodes puts up house insurance - its all based on risk.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Men tend to claim for more serious and expensive incidents than women do.

Aha! But we all know women are better liars, they just don't make claims when they need too, get Gus the friendly garage worker to fix the work cash in hand ;)

Seriously though I agree with Rainbow - They wouldn't put Black Peoples insurance higher because it was statistically proved Black people were more likely to have car accidents would they?

I can understand house prices and insurance and council tax varying but thats areas not people. If you want to live in a nice area you pay the money required. But we are talking car insurance where 1,000 of the men forced to pay higher premiums could in fact be much safer drivers than 1,000 of the women that benefit from the female discounts.

That is the cause of discrimination on gender - The fact that men and women are segregated rather than treated as "The Human Race". It's always made out to be us and them. Like they bring out stats from school results for Girls v Boys. The media doesn't help - Always comparing and promoting Men versus women arguments.

Ok some things DO need to be done differently in the treatment of men and women as we have different anatomies and sexual organs so have varying needs in that sense. But you shouldn't start taxing, penalising and paying Men and Women by stereotyping those within the 2 groups. It should be done on the individuals ability.

An analogy would be greyhounds. If a Fawn coloured bitch greyhound couldn't win a race and was the slowest of all time, plus she kept falling over on the first bend, you wouldn't put all bitches in the lowest grade races and you wouldn't put all fawn greyhounds in the lowest grade races. You would put THAT greyhound in the lowest grade races as it fits in with THAT greyhounds abilities. You wouldn't punish the other fawn bitches at the track because of the actions of that one fawn bitch greyhound.