Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug Treatment US style

Obviously there is a legal seperation between Church and State in the US.

However Bush has anounced that he will fund Church based drug treatment to the tune of $100m.

Heres the link;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3530141.stm

Personally I think this is a bit of a mockery, yes drug treatment is a good thing to put money in, but to put it only into Church based groups is very suspect to my mind.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bush uses religion to help stomp out many problems... i dont know what i think about it to be honest.

But, he cocked up royally when using religion/purity pledges/only teaching abstinance to teenagers in Texas didnt he?! Religion doesnt solve everything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    Religion doesnt solve everything.

True it doesnt solve U]everything[/U] but i guess it just depends on your circumstances. One of my friends went to an LDS/mormon church camp type of thing and she sobered up right after that. Some people gravitate towards religion during recovery and others dont.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    True it doesnt solve U]everything[/U] but i guess it just depends on your circumstances. One of my friends went to an LDS/mormon church camp type of thing and she sobered up right after that.

That's because Mormons use cult brain washing style tactics to pump its followers full of bullshit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    That's because Mormons use cult brain washing style tactics to pump its followers full of bullshit.

I am extremely offended by that. Dont try to act like you know a thing about mormons, because you dont. Just because its not what you believe, don't trash it because I believe it. Please keep your narrow-minded views to yourself.
  • Options
    I am extremely offended by that. Dont try to act like you know a thing about mormons, because you dont. Just because its not what you believe, don't trash it because I believe it. Please keep your narrow-minded views to yourself.

how come you always talk to me after church to wash away the sin of going :p:lol:
  • Options
    my oldest sister was a mormon for years ...then she suddenly wasn't.
    personaly i thought it was a whole heap of crap ...but one thing i can say ...she was not brainwashed cult style. it seems to have done more good than harm.
    there are times where a bit of brainwashing could be good ...lets rephrase that to mind laundary ...
  • Options

Basically, "God" hangs out near a star named "Kolob." The true Bible somehow fell off the Earth, and the Book of Mormon is its restoration, painstakingly recreated from bits and pieces of floating astro debris that Joseph Smith was able to grab with his holy tweezers. Also, if you are a really good Mormon and religiously give them all of your money, some day you will get your own planet to rule over. This is good news for morrocon roll, who can use his entire planet to grow and harvest cannabis :razz:

Did I miss anything? :/
  • Options
    Mormon = Idiot
  • Options
    . This is good news for morrocon roll, who can use his entire planet to grow and harvest cannabis :razz:

:/
    wowy fucking zowy ...where do i sign up?
    i wanna be a moron as well ...
  • Options
    no offence to anyone but i think you should stop taking the piss out of blnde_bombshell shes a good friend of mine and i just know shes gonna get upset then very angry when she reads these last few posts!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    no offence to anyone but i think you should stop taking the piss out of blnde_bombshell shes a good friend of mine and i just know shes gonna get upset then very angry when she reads these last few posts!

I wasn't trying to offend, my point (which seems to have got lost somewhere along the way) was that simply telling people over and over that drugs are bad (the same way as religion tells people over and over that Jesus existed or whatever) doesn't work in the same way that it does for religion.

Anyway, you must be pretty susceptible to suggestion if they think Jesus/Allah/Xenu can help you get off drugs :/
  • Options
    Anyway, you must be pretty susceptible to suggestion if they think Jesus/Allah/Xenu can help you get off drugs :/

Damn right! If i was any of them i know i'd be sitting on my giant golden toilet with my holy spliff :D
  • Options
    if it doesn't harm anyone then who gives a fuck??

i'm pagan and i practise wicca, and if i told some of the people around me that i was, they would fucking well tie me to a stake and burn me, and i'm not joking. i have to do most of my practises in secret.

what i have a problem with is people who call them selfs wiccan and practise harming magic, and people who call themsleves muslims yet they go and kill others?? i don't know the koran but i'm sure it says you shouldn't pass judgement on people and that you should forgive them for their actions??

thats just hiding behind a label
  • Options
    I remember once when i was in the states i think it was a chatshow thing on tv this woman was saying "i hit rock bottom blah blah... but one day i woke up and instead of reaching for the bottle i picked up the bible by mistake and that was when i found jesus" it sounded all really corny but obviously turning to religion has helped some.

I`d say i got a really open mind but i cant ever see me turning to religion for anything.
  • Options
    That's because it's a lie
  • Options
    In my view it is impossible to know either way.

Can you prove there isnt some sort of God? Oh no, you cant can you, same as proving the existance of God is nigh on impossible too.

Yes, many things done in the name of God are nasty, evil or whatever. But is that God's fault if there is one? Probably not.

Thesite has a rule about respecting others views, if you disaggree with someones view about anything then argue, dont just dismiss or insult.

Personally I believe in an observer type God, more of a presence than actually the kind of Old Testament type God. But then string theory suggests we are all just vibrating energy, so maybe we are all part of the same whole which is God.
  • Options
    luby; Why are you afraid to admit your faith towards some people?

No one really knows if there is a God, there could be, there couldn't be, no one really knows, it's all about having faith though.
  • Options
    Witch craft isnt exactly acceptable practice in many areas Shogun.

I'm not sure where Luby is but I am guessing if I lived in a solidly Baptist town in Alabama for example I wouldnt really want the local people knowing.
  • Options
    It might not be but if that's what she believes in then so be it, personally i think that's a load of bullshit.

I don't think she's from Alabama anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    In my view it is impossible to know either way.

Can you prove there isnt some sort of God? Oh no, you cant can you, same as proving the existance of God is nigh on impossible too.

Which is my point :p

If you can't prove there's a God, how can God, or 'finding God' or whatever help you overcome a drug addcition, or anything for that matter?
  • Options
    Well one could well argue that AA comes into this bracket, they do have a Christian theme to their programme and they have helps 1000's.

This does sound suspect I will grant you but that doesnt mean that all of the charities that are being helped are just out to get new members to their Church.

And as for finding God, well many people have and have found it very useful and forefilling. I think its somewhat harsh and a little nasty to just dismiss this as rubbish because you dont believe.

You make it sound like people who believe in God are inherently stupid or defunct in some way. I wouldnt see it that way at all.

You can not prove there isnt a God, therefore it is a personal judgement and I dont think you should generaly insult people for making that.
  • Options
    did anybody watch that programme, where they talked about an 'out of control' teenager who was sent to a Bootcamp in Mexico for a year.. now it sounded like a lot of brainwashing going on there, but it did her a whole heap of good, she came out happy, clean and healthy..

Im not saying that Bush' idea is about brainwashing, because i dont think it is but thats just a comment in reflection of what somebody else says earlier.

I always thought that if i believed in God id be a lot happier than I am, even if i was believing a lie it wouldnt matter to me, and if i was believing the truth than even better..

If religion can help people be happy, even if there is no proof, then whats wrong..

But then i guess, you cant force religion on to somebody and to try to isnt exactly a good thing..
  • Options

You make it sound like people who believe in God are inherently stupid or defunct in some way. I wouldnt see it that way at all.

OK, so the only reason I said that about mormonism is because it's one of the few "major" "religions" that has more im common with a cult than a religion.

And I really hate cults.
    You can not prove there isnt a God, therefore it is a personal judgement and I dont think you should generaly insult people for making that.

And neither can you, or anyone else, prove there is one. So how exactly can God help you overcome an addiction? Because some priest tells you there's a God? In what way does this help, exactly?

For the record btw, I believe in a God, I just don't believe in religion.
  • Options

Im not saying that Bush' idea is about brainwashing, because i dont think it is but thats just a comment in reflection of what somebody else says earlier.

I didn't mean literally :razz:

I meant along the same lines as our goverment "Drugs are bad, drugs are bad!" programs.
  • Options

And neither can you, or anyone else, prove there is one. So how exactly can God help you overcome an addiction? Because some priest tells you there's a God? In what way does this help, exactly?

There are millions of people across the world who beleive in a God, or gods.. they dont have what a lot of people would call proof, yet they believe. If somebody can 'find' god just like have millions and millions of others have, then it will help with an addiction. i think.
  • Options
    I didn't mean literally :razz:

I meant along the same lines as our goverment "Drugs are bad, drugs are bad!" programs.

i dont think i was talking about you.. i dont know who i was talking about actually :)
  • Options
    How can it help you?

I'll give you an example of a drug treatment centre which I heard about for cocaine. Its based in Brazil I think.

Basically you go out into the jungle with a Shamen guide and spend two weeks out there purging, meditating etc. You then have an oral DMT trip there with the Shamen.

You then come back and see a fully trained mental health worker and you talk through all the issues that were brought up by the experience.

Now the individual I heard interviewed said;

"I saw and talked with God, after that everything was in perspective."

Now, obviously this may well have been just a trip, OR he may well have actually spoken to God. Either way it helped him.
  • Options
    Finding God can change people, sometimes for better, sometimes they turn into arseholes.. but going from a non - believer, or agnostic to believing that you really have a concept of whats going on, of that there is something greater than you, can change people.

I just think that religion can be so powerful, that if a person really and truely deveoped a belief, it could help them.

Theres a bloke who writes leaflets for the Evangelical church, i always get given them, and it says he is in prision in America for multiple murders, and he claims he has found God and seems like a better person, now i dont know how true this is, nobdoy can know if he really has found god, but you hear about it a lot, finding a belief can make a person want to improve himself.
  • Options
    There are millions of people across the world who beleive in a God, or gods.. they dont have what a lot of people would call proof, yet they believe.

My point is though, how can a mere belief in something help you? What actual support does he offer? When you're about to shoot up, does he apear in a vision and go "Put the needle down! You can get through this!"?

Now, obviously this may well have been just a trip, OR he may well have actually spoken to God. Either way it helped him.

Yeah, I'm probably leaning towards the former, with the added fact that he's a dumbass for actually believing he spoke to God. Reports of DMT trips are widely reported, and their effects widely known, so its slightly obvious it was just a trip :/

And yes, I know you were only tryign to make a point :p What I was saying is how susceptible to suggestion must you be to actually believe that?
  • Options
    My point is though, how can a mere belief in something help you? What actual support does he offer? When you're about to shoot up, does he apear in a vision and go "Put the needle down! You can get through this!"?

Mmm see i dont know, because im agnostic most days (sometimes i feel atheist so im confused with the whole thing anyway) but i do believe that a belief cant just be described as 'mere' a belief can be very powerful, and i think it can change people i really do.