Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Iraq heading for self-destruction. Well done to us

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    double post
  • Options
    So good you said it twice? ;)

I don't dispute that too many Iraqis have been killed, thanks to the "insurgents" approach (why "insurgents"?, surely if they are Iraqi then they cannot be insurgent?) and that of the US.

But rather than live in the 24 hour news world where everything has a solution within days, I am ready to take a longer view, which covers five years hence and I still believe that the US action will lead to the kind of Iraq which we all want to see.

Maybe I've just developed a keen sense of patience through trying to get anything done in the NHS ;)
  • Options
    Feel free to delude yourself MoK, that is always your right of course. Given the path we are set upon, the intractable and grasping refusal of this US admin to let go and recognise that it is galvanising actual Iraqi society (Sunnis and Shias) into one cohesive bloc of opposition and disdain for our neo-colonialist control, there will be every liklihood of increased Iraqi reprisals, civic unrest, and increased occaptional brutality to try to "pacify" the people which will leave us with as much blood on our hands (if not more) as Saddam himself.

Then you can insprie us with the great beneficial outcomes for the Iraqi people and our moral superiority over the previous cadre of butchers from whom we supposedly came to "liberate" the poor people (whom Bush now calls "thugs" and "terrorists").

The hypocrisies and the war crimes they engender go on and on and on.
  • Options
    Jumping to conclusions a bit aren't you qwerty? At least give the man a chance to answer before you start blaming everything on one particular paper.

Opposing views are more than welcome (in fact needed) on this site but you devalue your own arguments with posts like this.

Do stick around though.
  • Options
    Are you an American by the way?
  • Options
    OK just wondering.
  • Options
    Originally posted by qwerty123
    You say there are no WMD... well they havn't been found yet yes but how do you know he didn't have any?

Its the opinion of most UN weapons inspectors that he didn't have any. Look it up.
    I believe there are some in either Iraq or Syria.

Evidence?
    You say he had no links to tterrorism... where did you get that from the Guardian? Of course he has.

Evidence?
    What do you mean... No legal basis? YOu mean the war was illegal?

Yes, by international law.
  • Options
    Many english people supported this war you know.

Most were against it.
  • Options
    Aladdin are you a Guardian reader?
    I'll tell you what I'm not. I'm not a S*n reader or a Fox News viewer. In fact I tend to ignore any media in the hands of Rupert Murdoch, for it tends to mislead a little...
    You say there are no WMD... well they havn't been found yet yes but how do you know he didn't have any? I believe there are some in either Iraq or Syria.
    I know he had some. 10 years ago. But as far away as 1998 the UN inspectors were saying that most if not all weapons had been destroyed, and the more recent inspections by Hans Blix were establishing very clearly that Saddam didn't have as much as itching powder to speak of.

And yet, the US and Britain would not allow the UN inspectors to carry on their work- because Bush and Blair KNEW they were going to conclude there were no WMDs in Iraq, thus removing the excuse they were giving for going to war.

Does that tell you anything?
    Saddam was a threat to Iraqi people, to the middle east, to Islam and to the world. How wa she No threat?
    What constitutes a threat? Wouldn't you agree that the US and Britain pose a threat to the Middle East, Islam and to world peace at that? And since that is the case, would you advocate other nations to try to remove Bush and Blair by force and wage a war on Britain and the US?
    You say he had no links to tterrorism... where did you get that from the Guardian? Of course he has. He was like a bomb readyt o explode, he needed to go before he didn something that the world would never forget.
    No I got that from every news organisation in the planet- bar the Murdoch mouthpieces naturally. In fact, not a single person, and that includes the mad Texan and his poodle, have been able to provide a single thread of evidence to support the claims that Saddam had links to terrorism- let alone Al Qaida or 9/11.

Notice how even Dubya and Blair have long abandoned those claims.
    What do you mean... No legal basis? YOu mean the war was illegal?
    It's very illegal to free iraqis and escape them from mass murder. well thats what you think.
    Er yes the war was illegal. There is such a thing as international law and UN approval. Bush and Blair ignored both.

There are a lot of countries with appalling human rights records. I wonder if you would be so happily advocating a war if, say, France bombed Israel to pieces in an attempt to remove the murderous war criminal who currently sits in power.
    bush and Blair have done the world a favour, god rid of him, he should have gone years ago.
    That the world is a better place now that he's no longer in power does not give anyone the right to take unilateral action.

The world would be a much better place if Dubya and Blair were not in power. Would you advocate assassinating them?
    If you think saddam is so nice why don't you go and live there?
    Where have I said that?

And remember who was shaking the hands of the monster and selling him all those terrible WMDs not so long ago?

The hypocrisy of it all is limitless.
    70% of Iraqis are glad to see him gone, 70% want troops to stay put!
    That they are happy that he's gone does not mean that they approved of the illegal war and subsequent occupation by foreign armies (they certainly don't). And I don't know where you get your statistics but the only reason I could think anyone wants the troops to stay is to sort out the fucking mess they've created in the first place. Although a majority would rather see them leave... or dead.
    Why are you so anti American?, anti west... you've been reading that stupid paper too much.
    And here we go again…

What gives you the idea that being against the US government is being anti-American? How many times have you been to the US? How many Americans can you count as friends? My guess is that I beat you on both counts…
  • Options
    check the polls 54% are for the war now.

Source?

Most were against it when it was happening. Its supposedly over now.

And the above post, please give me your evidense before asking off me and NOT from the Guardian.

whats the point annyway?

Sorry, this makes no sense? :confused:
  • Options
    Trolling won't get you far my friend.

Try to engage in reasoned debate- otherwise I can suggest a few other boards where you'd be far happier.
  • Options
    I'm not going to waste my time with you. Your always correct your right, your better thsn me and usa and britian are a threat to the world. kill us all! islam is the best and should be the numbber 1 religion.

LOL! :D

Don't throw your toys out of your pram 'cos you can't keep up with the debate.
  • Options
    I can't debate with people liek you your always correct. I'm sorry and the sun, the times, news of the world and sunday times owner is a good person, he would run this country brilliantly!

ROFLMAO! :D You should be on telly.
  • Options
    I'm sorry and the sun, the times, news of the world and sunday times owner is a good person, he would run this country brilliantly!
    Could it be? Surely not?

IS IT YOU PNJSURFERPOET???

How are you mate? Long time no see!

:D
  • Options
    lol, whats the point really tell me? all of you will say I'm wrong etc theres really no point.

Heres an article from The Times, saying
    "Iraq was probably free of weapons of mass destruction before the war, which would explain why none of the banned arms have been found, Hans Blix, chief UN weapons inspector, said today"
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-704059,00.html

What sources have you got to back up your claims that there are WMD's in Iraq?
  • Options
    gives us a contract then...

What are you on?
  • Options
    hey qwerty explain this:

rumsfeld_saddam.jpg

And when you're done you could also comment on this:

k-bush-ap-pic.jpg
  • Options
    there one can never say there are No WMD... searching will take years... It seems as you trust saddam.

Anyways the war has got rid of saddam and you guys are not pleased about that are you? well terrorists can all go to hell in my opinion, they are destroying out world

Give me some sources backing up your claims or shut up.
  • Options
    what does this say?? what are you trying to impose?
    You tell me!
  • Options
    just because I have a view that is very different form your very liberal views you lot tell me to shut up. what sort of forum this is?

Look, debate works like this - you put across a point of view and try and back it up with some evidence from credible sources. Other people then agree or disagree with you, using other credible sources. Without verifiable credible sources, I might as well claim that the moon is made of green cheese and I live there and rule the world.

So...back up your claims.
  • Options
    LOL! :D

Love it! You can't back up your claims so you just do a massive flounce! Well done!
  • Options
    That was a very trippy half hour we've just had!

Or a very poor attempt at trolling.
  • Options
    because of my views yeah?

Many english people supported this war you know.

No because of your mention of anti-American views actually.

I am aware that English people supported the war.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    :eek2:
  • Options
    Classic! Its amazing what you can miss when you walk away for half an hour. :lol:
  • Options
    Indeed, when i posted last there were only three pages to this thread. WOW! lol.

Looks like the right winger still can't present a solid case for anything and run away shouting slanderous invective when they know they cannot respond intelligently.

Hey I know, just tell everyone that GOD told us to invade. The prophet in the White House is, after all, in direct communion with the almighty, dontcha know!
  • Options
    i'm now going to leave this forum for ever theres no point me being here. If I put evidens eon you guys would put me down like some one goes mad.

If you guys ran this world then god we would eb rule dunder terrorists and we would be amde to be muslims.

God help us.

bye
    yes ...with gods help i have managed to not become anything remotely religous ...
  • Options
    I can't debate with people liek you your always correct. I'm sorry and the sun, the times, news of the world and sunday times owner is a good person, he would run this country brilliantly!

:lol:

Hell, I support the war, I even read the Sun (amongst others), but I would never suggest that Murdoch would be a good leader...

Dude, all the users of this forum ask you to do is back up your arguments - as they do - rather than just make a statement expecting them to accept it.

Expect to be questioned on your opinions, and question other users on theirs. Believe it or not you might learn something...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Given the path we are set upon, the intractable and grasping refusal of this US admin to let go and recognise that it is galvanising actual Iraqi society (Sunnis and Shias) into one cohesive bloc of opposition and disdain for our neo-colonialist control, there will be every liklihood of increased Iraqi reprisals, civic unrest, and increased occaptional brutality to try to "pacify" the people which will leave us with as much blood on our hands (if not more) as Saddam himself.

Funnily enough, I actually agree with you there - up to a point.

I would even add that Iran can have a destabilising influence on Iraqis inorder to push things in a direction which suits them.

Again I wouldn't just blame the UK and US for the mire but recognise that other nations have an interest in how Iraq progresses.

I don't think that the US has handled the "post-war" very well. It's worth noting that, according to a recent opinion poll - I think it was the BBC but I cant find the link just now - the vast majority of Iraqis are pleased to see Saddam gone and yet at the same time would love to see the US forces leave now.

Naturally they have the "colonial" fears that you voiced and I would support them there.

Sadly, as we all know, oil in too much of an interest to the US...
    Then you can insprie us with the great beneficial outcomes for the Iraqi people and our moral superiority over the previous cadre of butchers from whom we supposedly came to "liberate" the poor people (whom Bush now calls "thugs" and "terrorists").

Well, firstly, Bush doesn't refer to them all[i/] as thugs or terrorists. Just the small minority who are fighting. And that is a small minority.

The benefits will only become apparent once the US hands power over, or once the UN gets involved. With the US forces staying there you won't see it... they offer too much of a convenient target for those who want to impose their will on the Iraqi population...
  • Options
    I read the sun too. Yes ok I'll back up my opinions, but aint using news papers as back up biased?

Absolutely, there isn't a single paper which doesn't have it's own agenda. And yes, people are snobbish against the Sun but I guess you'll have to live with that. I would suggest that you look for more "reputable" sources to support your claims...