Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Iraq heading for self-destruction. Well done to us

US gunships machine fire cleric supporters

US 'pacification' offensive at Falluja

Shia Muslims kill 7 US soldiers

Civil war in Iraq a very real possibility

Can anyone possibly say that the Iraqis are better off now that they were under Saddam?

And yes, we all know about Saddam's killing and torturing. But at least the country was in control and countless thousands would still be alive today if we had not invaded.

And don't even get me started on the international repercussions in the Middle East and elsewhere. Or Al Qaida's growing support.

Well done to us. How nasty of the Iraqis not to be more grateful for their glorious liberation.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What difference a little planning and forward thinking would've made. We get rid of a dictator by force, they'll either just elect one through the ballot box or there will be a clamber for power by the different factions.

What a fucking shambles.

Don't get me wrong, there are positives and a war to remove Saddam was a laudible goal but the negatives now and in the future don't bear thinking about. The decisions before, during and after the war make this arguably Britain's worst military decision since Suez.

If the country doesn't look ready for self governence by the deadline, Blair should do the honourable thing:

Hold his hands up, admit there were reprehensible mistakes made by him and the MOD then he and Geoff Hoon should resign gracefully.
  • Options
    You're right, Blair should have owned up and at least apologised for the catalogue of disasters, lies and deception that revolving around the war on Iraq. But I think there's a bigger chance of Saddam Hussein being the next US President than of Tony Blair ever apologising for anything regarding the war on Iraq (let alone resigning for it).

Arrogant tosser as he is.
  • Options
    We are only compounding our war crimes regardless of whether our leaders will ever have to face any tribunal (which they undoubtedly wont since such trials are ever only for leaders of weaker nations).

Funny though how after all the claims of imminent threat were debunked and the need for public justification turned to Saddams brutal repression of the Shias, here we are using apache gunships against the very same people and calling it "pacification".

Seems Saddam learned his trade well from his former taskmasters.
  • Options
    if only we had lifted most of the sanctions ...poured money and food and medicine in. the people of iraq would have eventualy come up with their own way of removing saddam.
    the place was relatively peaceful on a day to day basis. there was virtualy full employment. no terrorism. massive thriving shopping centres ...sucsessful busineses ...night clubs and bars ...all mostly thriving. property prices were on the up. the people lived reletively free of danger. alquida hated the westernised lifestyle of iraq ...the people hated the likes of alquida.
    mr hussien and his sons could have been bumped off at some point.
    now ...we have created hell. the middle east is more unstable than ever. there is no way to carry on and no way out.
    what a fuck up ...exactly the fuck up most people predicted ...apart from the stoopid right wing americans ...how are the folks on mil.com doing? won't be many of them left soon if they are still serving the master ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    ...how are the folks on mil.com doing? won't be many of them left soon if they are still serving the master ...

Mr.Roll. mil.com is going strong and still very interesting, still worth a look. I pick up some very good info i.e the 'freeway rick' link from that site and read it most days. I might not agree with all their politics but they do have some arguments and info which is worth taking in.
  • Options
    Makes me sick to look at that forum to be honest.

Following the murders and mutilations of those 4 American contractors last week, the overwhelming suggestion of the wise American soldiers of mil.com was to destroy Fallujah and everyone in it. Some suggested using nukes, some MOABs, some helicopter gunships. But the vast majority of posters there (and if opinion polls are a good indication of public opinion for a whole country, then a message board with 10,000+ members is an excellent indication of opinion of the average US soldier) appeared to advocate murdering tens of thousands of people as a revenge for the death of 4 US citizens.

Nice to see that that the armed forces of the "leader of the free world" are composed mainly of racist murdering maniacs. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Such a suggestion only further demonstrates the falsity of claims that we invaded to "liberate" the poor oppressed Iraqis from the brutal repression of Saddam.

Destroy thousands of civilians under an American flag and its suddenly okay but when Saddam did what our own governments would do to any militant uprising by citizens in any of our own countries, it was "ethnic cleansing" and "genocide" blazoned across the front pages of our corporate press.
  • Options
    http://www.mil.com/

What's wrong with this page? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    I think it's military.com
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Such a suggestion only further demonstrates the falsity of claims that we invaded to "liberate" the poor oppressed Iraqis from the brutal repression of Saddam.

Destroy thousands of civilians under an American flag and its suddenly okay but when Saddam did what our own governments would do to any militant uprising by citizens in any of our own countries, it was "ethnic cleansing" and "genocide" blazoned across the front pages of our corporate press.

I could not agree more, it just shows the total hypocrisy of the Americans. This whole "revenge" episode cannot go well at all. And do the US and UK governments actually give a valid reason for going to war anymore? Or is it just George W. Moron wanting to get the oil and bomb Saddam and Blairs following his masters commands:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Makes me sick to look at that forum to be honest.

Following the murders and mutilations of those 4 American contractors last week, the overwhelming suggestion of the wise American soldiers of mil.com was to destroy Fallujah and everyone in it. Some suggested using nukes, some MOABs, some helicopter gunships. But the vast majority of posters there (and if opinion polls are a good indication of public opinion for a whole country, then a message board with 10,000+ members is an excellent indication of opinion of the average US soldier) appeared to advocate murdering tens of thousands of people as a revenge for the death of 4 US citizens.

Nice to see that that the armed forces of the "leader of the free world" are composed mainly of racist murdering maniacs. :rolleyes:

Agreed about the right wing rhetoric but as a History student, I try and look at different sources to gain an understanding of the wider picture. Its not for everyone though, so don't bother if reading the type of thing pointed out above pisses you off.

xicoperez - http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTopic?a=frm&s=78919038&f=409192893
  • Options
    Thank you very much Blackarab! I think I might register, it looks fun...
    Originally posted by jimil
    Having a high IQ is irrelevent to politics. That's a proven fact!

(This message was edited by jimil on Thursday, 01 November 2001 at 12:08.)

:D:D:D:D . . . . . . . . . :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jon_Jon
    We have done it once......er make that twice...
    Time to do it again. Give it some thought....
    The only practical efective solution that will put an end to all the trouble.... :cool:
    JUST NUKE THEM! WHY NOT....Any body got a good reason not to? Co-ordinated strikes :cool:
    CLEAN UP THE ENTIRE LOT :D:D:D
    Afterwards who would complain???
    Think about it :rolleyes:
    NOBODY...THEY WOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT THEMSELVES
    SEND IN THE NUKE TIPPED TOMAHAWKS :cool:
    I AM RIGHT.....IT IS TIME TO SHOW THEM WHAT THE THE USA CAN DO.... :D:D:D

Ha! This forum is great! I love it, really love it...
  • Options
    With attitudes like that our military shows itself every bit as maniacal and genocidal as Saddam himself. Bravo! There is the true face of neo-colonialist ambition in all its pathetic and criminally-minded glory.

Nobility of military service indeed.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!
  • Options
    i'm reading at the moment ...'Bury my heart at wounded knee'.
    nothing has changed. camp delta and camp x-ray are there ...scorched earth policies. environmental disregard and destruction.
    there seems to be something about the white european race ...as if it is a genetic mutation for greed and destruction on an awsome scale. there is nothing quite like us.
  • Options
    Of course not, and the hypocrisy of our military and political leaderships matches that level of greed and corruption.

The very people who desperately sought to justify going into Iraq to find those (now proven non-existent) WMDs, are advocating using WMDs against the people they supposedly came to "liberate". Echoes of Halabja under a red white and blue banner this time round.

Sick, demented little monsters waiting for their opportunity to go start a conflict and kill something, that is the bent of our modern military and the proof comes from their own lips. Honour indeed!
  • Options
    I think the trouble is that the only way Saddam kept control of the country WAS through torture and murder. The Shias couldn't go all radical (like they want to) because Saddam had them killed before they could. It was the same in the Balkans- Tito only kept it together by brute force- and it's the same in Africa.

People are too tribal for these artificial boundaries.
  • Options
    Everyone knows the invasion should not have happened, their reasons for going to war were unjust and no weapons of mass dustruction found and now the people are fighting the Coalition and i seen the thing in the paper about 3 japanese civilians captured and will be burnt alive in Japan don't remove their troops, they were given 3 days.
  • Options
    All these things and more I have no doubt we ourselves would do to any foreign invaders on our own soil.

When will our armed attack dogs take pause long enough to consider the very simple principle at the root of our Western Judeo-Christian heritage, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", and desist altogether from further brutalising and humiliating an already long brutalised people and acknowledge that they have been used not to defend our nations from any real threat but to conquer and co-opt yet another weaker nation?

Talking of nuking or destroying a people for daring to stand up to foreign conquest only shows the world how despicable and hateful and unworthy of trust both our leaders and our military truly are. One day, that same attitude may well be voiced by citizens and servicemen of the next world power as they occupy our cities and towns, killing civilians who dare undertake their patriotic duty to fight back however possible.

You wont hear these mil.com nutcases calling themselves or their progeny "terrorists" or "thugs" worthy of nuking when we all find ourselves on the receiving end of what we have criminally perpetrated on countless other nations in order to keep our war machine rolling.

Time to pull out, leave it to the UN and reduce our military to that necessary only for domestic defence. That will allow us to start channeling some of our inordinately large defence spending into constructive engagement with the rest of the planet rather than contnuing this destructive neo-imperialistic engagement.

We certainly do not have any moral authority to pontificate on the human rights abuses and disregard for international law of others whilst brandishing our greater capacity for the very same.
  • Options

there seems to be something about the white european race ...as if it is a genetic mutation for greed and destruction on an awsome scale. there is nothing quite like us.

Thats ridiculous and pretty stupid.

We are more greedy and destructive than other races?

Surely we are just the most powerful? Why would it be any better if another race were more powerful? It would probably be worse considering how corrupt and oppressive many non-european nations are. Personally I think the european race has done a lot for the world. I guess its just fashionable to be self-loathing of ones own race, country etc among ultra-PC, uber-liberals.

Dont get me wrong I admire other cultures but I find it reprehensible to be ashamed of our own and feel as though it is somehow offensive to others to espouse it.
  • Options

Oh bollocks, and you damn well know it.

Hinduism has the caste system, meaning the low can never be the high. But no, that can't possibly be about greed.

Islam has the extremist zelots who believe that those who don't believe in Allah should be blown up. But no, that can't possibly be about destruction.

Look at Africa- as soon as our back is turned, Rwanda happens. Though obviously that was neither baout greed nor destruction.

It's human nature to look after oneself, and to a lesser extent one's community, and that does involve screwing everyone else. There are only a finite numbver of resources on the planet and it simply isn't in any group's interests to share- sharing means getting less.
  • Options
    Here we are again talking about races...

What IS a race... White race? White European? So in the USA they are white ex-European?

Groove champion said in response to Roll's comment (that I said nothing about, it wasn't worth it) "I admire other cultures but I find it reprehensible to be ashamed of our own". Roll was talking about a "race" and you bring up culture? So are we talking about culture now?

Kermit, Islam is a race now? Is it a culture? Or is it a religion? Are we taliking about religions now? Africa... Is African a race now? Are there white africans now, as a race?

Please lets talk about things with some meaning here... some of these comments have no sense...

And if this goes off topic... I wont even start on the human Nature thing...
  • Options
    i do know that black tribes had black slaves gosh ...i do know about the caste system gosh ...i know about greed etc ...i was merely stating that the white european ...of which includes americans ...seems to be geared to flattening everything in it's path. on a grand scale.
    did i say anyone would be better in our place?
  • Options
    all human cultures have their greedy self serving sides but all i can hope is that either the UN gets involved and doesnt stay there for years trying to please the extremists who want a authoritarian government, or if no UN, hope the coalition puts together a decent straegy to get the iraqis to govern themselves gradually

but the worst fing wuld be acomplete pullout leaving the long suffering iraqis with another 100% authoritarian regieme ahem *saudi arabia*
  • Options
    4 U.S mercenarys justifies killing 1000 of Iraqis in Falluja?
    Just as things were calming down the U.S has arrested another of al-Sadr's aids.
  • Options
    Originally posted by qwerty123
    I've been reading through these forums and it seems that many of you guys are exterenly anti american, anti war, anti west and very liberal.
    this forum reflects the real world ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by qwerty123
    The only people who are bring destrcution to Iraq are terrorists.

Define "terrorist".
  • Options
    Geez, you guys take mil.com more seriously than they do.

Do you honestly believe that anyone seriously advocates the use of nukes in revenge for 4 civillian deaths? Ever heard of bravado...?
  • Options
    Re: Iraq heading for self-destruction. Well done to us
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    And yes, we all know about Saddam's killing and torturing. But at least the country was in control and countless thousands would still be alive today if we had not invaded.

That Hitler chap, so he killed millions but at least the country was in control. And just think the of the hundreds of thousands who would still be alive if D-Day hadn't happened :rolleyes:

I can't believe that you used "control" as the acceptable face of Saddam.

And no, I'm not trying to compare Saddam and Hitler, just showing what a ludicrous argument that is.

Oh, and if torture and killing are an "acceptable" cost of control, why do you complain about X-Ray?
    Well done to us. How nasty of the Iraqis not to be more grateful for their glorious liberation.

Actually most of them are. They just want the US to leave now, thank you very much.
  • Options
    Actually MoK, the reference to control serves to disarm the very last vestiges of a justification for war.

Since:

- there were no WMDs

- there was no threat to others

- there were no links to terrorism

- there was no legal basis

the only argument for going to war was to make the lives of Iraqis better (despite the fact that the end does not justify the means when the means are illegal war on a sovereign nation and the deaths of tens of thousands). But it has been proved, as widely predicted, that the lives of the Iraqis have been made worse and that a lot more people would still be alive today had Saddam be still in power.

I'm certainly not one to justify the monster but let's make one thing clear. Saddam wasn't killing people at the rate of thousands (or even hundreds) per month and the place was nowhere near the anarchy and pre-civil war shambles it is today. The only possible justification for waging illegal wars and dropping hundreds of thousands of tons of high explosives on another nation would be to avert an impending catastrophe (a la Rwanda for instance). The situation in Iraq was a trillion miles different from that and in fact not particularly worse than in most given little third world dictatorships today. There are as many reasons for bombing Uzbekistan as there are for bombing Iraq. But we in our eternal wisdom are shaking hands with a dictator as bad as Saddam and yet I don't hear any calls for invasions and wars there...