Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My second attempt.

Please guys I let myself to be involved in the discussion I had no intention to be in. I didn’t ask you whether taxes are good or bad ( I know the answer and you can’t change the truth just because you can’t imagine that the Earth can be round and we can survive without Great and Wise Government ruling us).
I’d like to know your opinions:
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU KNEW YOUR NEIGHBOUR DIDN’T PAY TAXES. WHOULD YOU INFORM AUTHORITIES ABOUT HIM?
It is not politics, I am not interested what do you think of taxes; I just want to know what would you do in such situation.
I have no wish to judge; I want to UNDERSTAND. I know the question is tough, this is not about some abstract billionaire living million miles aside on Bahamas- this is about your next-door-people.
Excuse me again, I have no wish to judge; don’t judge and don’t be judged just try to understand.
What is just and fair from your point of view?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    LabRat, I think people will find it difficult to answer that question without giving a reason for it, in fact I would encourage people to give a reason for their views. Perhaps what you are looking for is a poll?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that I wouldn't do anything about it. I know to some extent that I should be bothered about them but I believe that eventually they will be found out. I also believe in treat people as you wish to be treated and by the way that they are treating people by not paying taxes something bad will happen to them i'm sure. I also think to some extent everyone maybe cheats somehow in life, whether you don't declare one of your earning things on your tax, try and get child tickets on the tube when you're 18, anything really. Obviously tax evasion is quite serious but it would depend on how much money they were making. If they're only making £6000/year then I think telling on them not paying tax is a bit petty when they need every penny to live.
  • Options
    I was in a similar situation a while ago (involving a friend i met through college), i decided to do nothing about it. I didnt want to betray him.

However, ive found myself *again* in a similar situation (a family memeber of my fella) and im going to grass this second person up. Not necessarily because i think its the right thing to do, but because he is a twat, a nasty selfish arsehole.

If you dont have a responsibility to your neighbour then do what you feel is right (for me, i may be inclined to report them) but, if i was close to my neighbour then i wouldnt say anything, i would stand by my friend and let IR find him out for themselves.
  • Options
    Depends which taxes, how much they owe, how much they earn, whether I knew them personally or not etc.
    So a question I can't answer really.
  • Options
    what the fuck would it have to do with me?
    there are plenty of lads down the local who work all week in a propper job ...and do cash in the hand at weekends.
    there are plenty of single mums on benefits who do a bit of cleaning and stuff to help improve their andtheir childs quality of life ...best of luck to them i say.
    i don't see how it's anyone elses business.
    busy bodies.
    what do you achieve by getting other people in trouble ...damaging their lives?
    it's not as if they are abusing children or robbing old ladies.
  • Options
    I'd report them without blinking an eyelid if they were doing it on a regular basis.
    Why the hell should I pay a third of my wages to the government when the dosser next door doesn't?

Same with car tax, why should I pay when the car in the driveway next to me doesn't?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Agrofrog
    If they're only making £6000/year then I think telling on them not paying tax is a bit petty when they need every penny to live.

Yu don't start paying serious tax until you're on about £12000 a year. Someone on £6000 a year pays about £5 a month tax. So they've got no excuse.
  • Options
    Taxation is theft. Government shouldn't commit force in order to fund itself.

All is needed is a simple sales tax! Direct taxation is unjust!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Taxation is theft. Government shouldn't commit force in order to fund itself.

All is needed is a simple sales tax! Direct taxation is unjust!

*yawn*

Did you not read the bit where the poster said

I am not interested what do you think of taxes; I just want to know what would you do in such situation.
    ?

I would report the person if I knew they were doing it all the time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Taxation is theft.
    it gets ever clearer why your seeing a shrink ...paid for by everyone else.
  • Options
    I know that personal comments are against the forum’s rules but anyway…
    Whowhere’s attitude looks disgusting for me.
    He is like a slave informing a slave-driver about his mates plotting to escape a plantation. East German Stasi used this logics too killing people near Berlin Wall ’the bastards dare to get freedom we don’t have!’
    This kind of voluntary serf was a base of Stalin’s, Hitler’s and Saddam’s regimes. Any dictatorship can’t survive without them.
    PS To Moderator.
    If you think my post is violating your rules don’t bother to block me or something.
    Just tell me and I shut up forever.
    My best regards.
  • Options
    Im not working but when I am.

I would grass them if they could afford to pay taxes, like if they were raking it in and stuff then yes.

If it was like a wee woman with a kid and doing a bit of cleaning then no.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    I know that personal comments are against the forum’s rules but anyway…
    Whowhere’s attitude looks disgusting for me.
    He is like a slave informing a slave-driver about his mates plotting to escape a plantation. East German Stasi used this logics too killing people near Berlin Wall ’the bastards dare to get freedom we don’t have!’
    This kind of voluntary serf was a base of Stalin’s, Hitler’s and Saddam’s regimes. Any dictatorship can’t survive without them.
    PS To Moderator.
    If you think my post is violating your rules don’t bother to block me or something.
    Just tell me and I shut up forever.
    My best regards.

Erm, I don't think so. Like I said in another post, why the hell should I pay a third of my wages in tax in order that the benefit cheat living next door can have 2 jobs and barely pay any taxes.
    It's not good enough he pays his VAT, I pay that too. I pay road tax, income tax, national insurance.

Answer me, WHY should I pay for all that when i could simply not bother because the guy next door doesn't.

I'm pissed off with all you liberal types, "oh but if he isn't earning much, or if it's a single mother". Their tax bands reflect their situation, and by them not paying tax, i have to pay MORE. The government has to make up the shortfall somewhere, and it normally comes from the pockets of the law abiding.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    it gets ever clearer why your seeing a shrink ...paid for by everyone else.

Yupyup. Id somebody is so against taxation then they shouldn't see a shrink, get NHS dental treatment... they should empty their bins themselves and repair the streetlights outside their house.

Would I report them? Would I bollocks. I try and keep as far away from the police as possible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    The government has to make up the shortfall somewhere, and it normally comes from the pockets of the law abiding.

No, it usually comes from the poor. The rich don't pay nearly enough.
  • Options
    can you answer the ACTUAL question plz the thread starter didnt want debates about taxation!
  • Options
    I have.
    And if you ask a question like this, its going to become a debate about taxation.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    can you answer the ACTUAL question plz the thread starter didnt want debates about taxation!

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, this whole discussion is a bit pointless if you can't give the reasoning for your opinion. If Labrat wanted a yes I would/no I wouldn't report a tax dodger living next door, then a poll should have been done instead.
  • Options
    If you dont like the tax system quite frankly you can always piss off somewhere else.

Try Hong Kong, they always just had a flat rate tax system.

Erm, back to the question. I'm not sure if I would or not, it would depend on the person.

I do very much think though that avoiding tax is the same as stealing from the rest of us.

If everyone paid the taxes they were supposed to the Government would have a lot more money. We could therefore have more public services, or pay less tax.

As others have said, why should I support people who think they are better than me, who think they are above paying tax.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

If everyone paid the taxes they were supposed to the Government would have a lot more money. We could therefore have more public services, or pay less tax.

As others have said, why should I support people who think they are better than me, who think they are above paying tax.
    doesn't realy matter how much money is going through the tax ...it will never be enough. there will always be an excuse for not spending it propperly.

i know what you mean about those who think they are better than the rest of us ...cos they managed to avoid a couple of million quid in due taxes ...but i would still not report them.
  • Options
    doesn't realy matter how much money is going through the tax ...it will never be enough. there will always be an excuse for not spending it propperly.

I don't mind giving taxes away, it's when the government spend it on gay things like the millenium dome that pisses me off... or sending troops to wars for oil.
    I'm pissed off with all you liberal types, "oh but if he isn't earning much, or if it's a single mother". Their tax bands reflect their situation, and by them not paying tax, i have to pay MORE. The government has to make up the shortfall somewhere, and it normally comes from the pockets of the law abiding.

But then how can you force somebody to pay tax? Maybe we should be like the USA and have health insurance instead eh? ;)

I don't mind paying taxes... well I won't in a few months when I leave college and it doesn't bother me that a lot of my friends are on the dole. What does bother me is how much politicians earn... because isn't that where a lot of our taxes go? or to pay for the Queen's life of luxury whilst her kids have benefits and an education better than what most of us can afford... all because they're born in to that position?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I

or to pay for the Queen's life of luxury whilst her kids have benefits and an education better than what most of us can afford... all because they're born in to that position?
    biggest giro in the land ...and she has only recently started paying tax.
    but ...it's always the poor what gets the blame ...
  • Options
    Anyone not paying their full due in tax is stealing from the rest of us, so I would have no problem reporting them.

No-one likes paying tax, but it's even more galling when you pay more because the bugeer next door isn't pulling in his "fair share".

Personally though, I would like to see more effort put into closing some of the loopholes which allow those with money to avoid paying their share, before starting on lower incomes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    No, it usually comes from the poor. The rich don't pay nearly enough.

It comes from the Middle classes.
    The poor don't pay any because they don't earn enough.
    The rich don't pay much because they control everything.

Do you think it's fair that I earn £1500 a month and have to watch as £500 of that vanishes before I can even get my hands on it?

Like MOK says, I couldn't give a toss about the person next door and their situation if they are flouting the law and ensuring that in the next budget I have to pay an extra £50 to cover the £50 they decided not to pay.
  • Options
    i know what you mean about those who think they are better than the rest of us ...cos they managed to avoid a couple of million quid in due taxes ...but i would still not report them.
    :thumb: It’s fine! You are a proper man. I wouldn’t report rich men either but this is easier for me since for me taxes are blatant and shameless robbery and avoiding them is just and natural self-defence. You don’t think so that makes your position morally higher.
    You have really earned the right to name yourself Guru. :)
  • Options
    Labrat; Can you propose a system where by we wouldn't have to pay taxes?

The problem is we live in a Democracy, therefore the majority rule, and the majority WANT taxes. Its as simple as that.
  • Options
    :thumb: It’s fine! You are a proper man. I wouldn’t report rich men either but this is easier for me since for me taxes are blatant and shameless robbery and avoiding them is just and natural self-defence. You don’t think so that makes your position morally higher.
    You have really earned the right to name yourself Guru. :)
    To me it's those who refuse to pay taxes or who use loopholes to avoid paying some who are the thieves and criminals.

They should be locked up.
  • Options
    for me taxes are blatant and shameless robbery and avoiding them is just and natural self-defence.

I would agree, if each individual provided their own "services" such as police, military defence, health care, education etc.

Thing is that we all expect some level of Govt support, in some form, and that doesn't come free.

Tax is the means by which we fund those aspects of society which benefit all of society...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    To me it's those who refuse to pay taxes or who use loopholes to avoid paying some who are the thieves and criminals.
    They should be locked up.
    Translating from political slang into human language this means, ‘if you refuse to pay for my toys you should be fined, arrested, jailed, beaten up by prison guard, raped by career criminals and shot if you don’t like this.’
    Pure Stalinism, and I don’t intend to discuss this.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Labrat; Can you propose a system where by we wouldn't have to pay taxes?
    The problem is we live in a Democracy, therefore the majority rule, and the majority WANT taxes. Its as simple as that.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I would agree, if each individual provided their own "services" such as police, military defence, health care, education etc. …
    The things I’d like to talk about seriously.
    If you want to know how could society work without taxes, democracy, the police, the government etc. you can read for example Machinery Of Freedom by David Friedman ( he is an economist and a son of a famous economist Nobel laureate Milton Friedman who has left his father far behind. It is wonderful how different people come to the same conclusions in different ways. Doctor Friedman is an anarchist due to his deep understanding of economics, I’ve come to the same kind of social philosophy from my religious believes in very young age when I didn’t understand anything about economics and social issues).
    I’m not a professor and I’m not convinced in my ability to keep the conversation at high level of every aspect so I’d concentrate on things I know better , namely education, foreign aid and ( to some degree) the police.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    It comes from the Middle classes.
    The poor don't pay any because they don't earn enough.
    I have to pay an extra £50 to cover the £50 they decided not to pay.
    you know damn well the poor pay taxes!
    and the fifty quid? it doesn't work like that and you know it.
    if everyone started paying what they owe ...there would still be an excuse to take more money off you ...no matter who is in power.
    you can't possibly believe that grassing someone up for not paying the tillerman is going to have the slightest effect on your life.