Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Creative Writing essays should NOT be done the night before

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to write a short story thang and a poem for tommorow morning, so far i have rough ideas of how to do both of them, but i need to make them, y'know, 'good' :/

Does anyone fancy letting me 'borrow' some creativity, or failing that, some LSD so i can write something and call it 'Surrealist Art' or something?

Comments

• Options
    Well, I remember when Becky was nattering to me on MSN once and she had a shitload of creative writing malarkey to do for the next day or something, so she went for an all nighter :yes:

She'd be able to help you out. Always a bugger when the useful people are never online at the right times, eh? :p
  • Options
    For the poem, string a load of clichés together and give it an ambiguous title. :yes:

Because I'm sure you won't have tried that already... :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    For the poem, string a load of clichés together and give it an ambiguous title. :yes:

Because I'm sure you won't have tried that already... :p

thats the only style i can write in :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Well, I remember when Becky was nattering to me on MSN once and she had a shitload of creative writing malarkey to do for the next day or something, so she went for an all nighter :yes:

She'd be able to help you out. Always a bugger when the useful people are never online at the right times, eh? :p

Which Becky?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blackout
    Which Becky?

1983 Becky.

I'm usually able to think a lot better at like 4am. Although there's no pressure on me to do so, so it might not help you get work done.

God, I sounded like J there :eek2:
  • Options
    wacha gotta do is wake up early tomorrow morning and write it really quickly. i passed two years of college doing that and my best papers were written mearly hours before they were due.
  • Options
    Re: Creative Writing essays should NOT be done the night before
    I need to write a short story thang and a poem for tommorow morning, so far i have rough ideas of how to do both of them, but i need to make them, y'know, 'good' :/

you could do a search and find that old thread in which everyone wrote one line and made up a story, hows that for original? :p
  • Options
    Re: Re: Creative Writing essays should NOT be done the night before
    Originally posted by hybrid
    you could do a search and find that old thread in which everyone wrote one line and made up a story, hows that for original? :p

it'd set a new record for plagiarism but hey, it might be worth it :D
  • Options
    ‘Finally’ thought Tiger-Lily, as her baby daughter, Sunbeam, finally ceased her caterwauling and drifted off to sleep. Tiger-Lily wrenched open the door of her pink VW camper van, leaned against the bonnet and started fiddling with her phone, for she was a new-age new-age traveller, and made sure she had all the mod-cons to make her bond with nature as enjoyable as possible. Tiger-Lily (or ‘T-Lo’ as she wanted to be known) had always ignored her colleagues’ bickering, with their claims that New Age Travellers shouldn’t have air-conditioning, satellite TV was an unnecessary commodity for a campervan and that Vodafone Bolt-Ons probably weren’t the best use of the little funds the group had.
    After a brief check to see if Sunbeam was still asleep, T-Lo made her way down to the near-by lake. Stumbling across the cobbles and almost scuffing her Nike Jordans, she found the rest of the group meditating around some candles. She noticed one candle was perched on top of a near by post, which also bore the sign ‘Welcome to Bright-days Holiday Site, Reading’s number ONE camping destination”. Just under the sign, and with another, slightly smaller candle hanging off the end of it, the word ‘TOILET’ was written in bold, black letters. Tiger-Lily shuddered. The more ‘enlightened’ members of the group, like her god-mother Buttercup, preferred to go ‘naturally’ than use public toilets, and T-Lo grimaced at the idea that Buttercup answered mother nature’s polite call by dumping on her face. “If you want to be ‘one’ with nature” Tiger-Lily thought, “you probably shouldn’t throw your number twos at it”.

any idea on how i can like, you know, 'make something happen' in this godforsaken 'short story' like, you know, how to add a 'plot' and an 'ending' etc?
  • Options

any idea on how i can like, you know, 'make something happen' in this godforsaken 'short story' like, you know, how to add a 'plot' and an 'ending' etc?

nope :p
  • Options
    :( but ive absoloutely no idea of where to take this reasonable idea, i dont think ive ever had to write a plot before :(
  • Options
    Try writing a list of all the things you want to happen in your story.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Try writing a list of all the things you want to happen in your story.

its ok, i'm gonna do something completely different now :)
  • Options
    then don't bother with a plot and say it's modernism. stream of consciousness and all that.

just sit down and write everything that comes into you head, as and when.

and poems are easy. think of a theme (usually something done to death like love/hate/war) think of appropriate metaphor (flower/blood/women) and proceed to ramble, ending lines at stupid points throughout.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    and poems are easy. think of a theme (usually something done to death like love/hate/war) think of appropriate metaphor (flower/blood/women) and proceed to ramble, ending lines at stupid points throughout.

i'm not bothered about the poem, i just do it the five year old way and rhyme everything until its actually painful to read :) im not into the whole artsy thing :)

ive started on a completely different short-story now, its like, this guy from the 1500s or whatever just randomly finds himself slumped in the middle of a street in 21st century York. Basically, he dies within an hou rbecause of all the weird culture-shock, but ive not decided how he's gonna die :s ive already had him in an encounter with a truck (which he percieved to be a huge shiny monster) so i cant have him die in a car crash...
  • Options
    Re: Creative Writing essays should NOT be done the night before

Does anyone fancy letting me 'borrow' some creativity, or failing that, some LSD so i can write something and call it 'Surrealist Art' or something?

i did exactly the same thing with my first portfolio, but no sorry you can't "borrow" my work.

don't you keep a creative writing journal or something - use that- or an article from a newspaper as a basis
  • Options
    i've found that the way to a creative writing lecturer's heart is to write a load of arsey artsy bullshit, and then justify in in your commentary.

as long as you can account for what you have done, it seems, the arsier and artsier the better.
  • Options
    i've found that the way to a creative writing lecturer's heart is to write a load of arsey artsy bullshit, and then justify in in your commentary.

as long as you can account for what you have done, it seems, the arsier and artsier the better.

not all writers are completely pretentious - at least i hope im not!

although a lot of people in my class are - i am fighting against it
  • Options

ah, but we dont get to write a commentary, otherwise i would have filled four sides with drivel :(

its only a 'first draft' anyway, it doesnt have to be any good, but i dont want to completely take this piss, you know what i mean?
  • Options
    its only a 'first draft' anyway, it doesnt have to be any good, but i dont want to completely take this piss, you know what i mean?

in theory, yes, but i am a total slacker, and my first draft is usually the one i hand in.

that's bad, isn't it? :chin:
  • Options
    try the newspaper thing, really, it works for me when i have writers block a few hours before somehting has to be in
  • Options
    in theory, yes, but i am a total slacker, and my first draft is usually the one i hand in.

that's bad, isn't it? :chin:

nah thats my usual plan

whats making things worse is theres a really fucking pretty lasse a few desks in front of me :/
  • Options
    whats making things worse is theres a really fucking pretty lasse a few desks in front of me :/

see, if you study in the kaffrin fashion that would not be a problem either because i usually fail to go to my classes....
  • Options
    see, if you study in the kaffrin fashion that would not be a problem either because i usually fail to go to my classes....

no i mean in the computer room right now :( and im trying to do my essay but, you know, she has breasts :(
  • Options
    no i mean in the computer room right now :( and im trying to do my essay but, you know, she has breasts :(

well, duh, write a poem about her breasts, i mean her

are you doing a creative writing degree or something, Blackout?
  • Options
    Originally posted by leese
    well, duh, write a poem about her breasts, i mean her

are you doing a creative writing degree or something, Blackout?

yes

and like i said, ive already written the poem (ish) i just need to finish this short story in a clever way
  • Options

and like i said, ive already written the poem (ish) i just need to finish this short story in a clever way

why don't you end with 'and it was all a dream' ;)
  • Options
    yes

mine normally end with the protagonists dreams turning to shit, or if im desperate, them dying
  • Options

How do you ever get anything done? :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    How do you ever get anything done? :(

Tell me about it! im usually the only guy in my class of about 20 lasses, and theyre all fit :(

its like, youve got thirty-eight breasts to stare at, but you know your going to get nothing done if you do :(

Its like, Catch Twenty Boob