Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drugs...Why bother?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't wana be the sad ass guy but...So many people take drugs and i still wonder...why? why bother?
does it make you feel big or hard?
you see 12 year olds smoking on the street...why?
I think its just sad...seeing lives go to waste to things they don't need to take.

I'd be surprised if any of you could give me one good reason why people should bother taking drugs.

Comments

• Options
    slilk, you might learn quite a bit from the replies you get to this post, plenty have been done like this.. i cant explain it like some of the others can but il be intersested to see the replies
  • Options
    kk
  • Options
    Most people take drugs 'cos its fun. Some take them to suppress painful feelings. A few go on to have problems.
  • Options
    I started to use canabis to help me sleep....then i stopped for a while..then when my knees got really bad again i started using to stop the pain....then i got better drugs of the doc for that and stopped again....then my aunty died and i got dump by my b/f for no good reason apart from "i dunno why, ive just woke up and i didnt love you anymore" this fucked me up and i started using again.

I never once in my life did anything to make myslef look "cool" or "hard". dont care what anyone thinks of me because of my using, I do it for me and no one else.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Re: Drugs...Why bother?
    Originally posted by Slilk
    I think its just sad...seeing lives go to waste to things they don't need to take.

My life hasn't gone to waste thank you.

I'd be surprised if any of you could give me one good reason why people should bother taking drugs. [/B][/QUOTE]

Because they're enjoyable. Every now and again it's nice to unwind and have some fun. You can not escape the fact that drugs can be fun. I've done my fair share of drugs and the only thing I ever regret taking was the first drag on a fag.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    well thats me done in lol, they were very good reasons, and i apologise...
  • Options
    I agree it is illogical to take drugs, to make your body work in a way it wasn't meant to. But still, loads of people nowadays take drugs, I smoke cannabis, never normal cigarettes, I have some speed in my room, it's just fun really. I personally wanted to try cannabis just to see what it's like, I don't think it was down to peer pressure or anything, but it can't have not have any effect...
  • Options
    Given that no human society has ever managed to rid itself of drug use one could well argue that it is a human instint to experiment with mind altering substances.

People use because they feel the high is worth the risk, its as simple as that really.

Yes, a lot of drug use is risky, however it is best to look at that risk in statistical terms. In comparison with an activity such as horse riding most drug use is quite safe, yet there is no social stigma surrounding horse ridding. You wouldnt ask a rider, why do you do it?
  • Options
    I read it, I think you summed up the view of many drug users very elequently.

The alcohol industry is worth 30 Billion per year in the UK, yet the cost to the UK is 20 Billion. Thats totally stupid!!! It boggles the mind, it really does.
  • Options
    i read all the post and it has made me think, but drugs can be used in very evil ways not just personal use but, murder or slipping a pill into someones drink and then raping them, i think thats appaling, and i can definatley understand why you think drinking is much worse than drugs.

Are they not both as bad as each other? The trouble they cause, the familys they ruin, not only the money it costs with the hospitals but the policing aswell, how much do the police spend on trying to stop the drug barons?

But drugs are much more addictive than drink are they not?
  • Options
    it's escapism, that's all, and i could soooooooooo use a joint right now
  • Options
    i read all the post and it has made me think, but drugs can be used in very evil ways not just personal use but, murder or slipping a pill into someones drink and then raping them, i think thats appaling, and i can definatley understand why you think drinking is much worse than drugs.

Are they not both as bad as each other? The trouble they cause, the familys they ruin, not only the money it costs with the hospitals but the policing aswell, how much do the police spend on trying to stop the drug barons?

well theres nothing i can add after reading the above posts.
    see if i can answer this one ...the trouble drugs cause is very serious. massive crime rate and overcrowded jails. thats down to serious class A' addiction. heroin and crack. also lesser drugs such as amphetamine.
    for three hundred years in the uk there were laws about the sale of opiates to the general public ...who could sell such products ...?pharmasists ...gp's ...herbalists. most of the british admiralty were opium addicts as was the government. as were many famous people. the ficticious sherlock homes was a morphine and cocain addict ...why? because it was perfectly legal with no shame attatched and also highly fashionable. you can take heroin and morphine till a ripe old age into your 80's with no physical mental or moral breakdown. it has only been a problem when the government give up control of the stuff and hand it all over to villains and terrorists.
    yes the police spend a lot of time and money trying ...most comicaly so ...to arrest people. usualy the small guys. the war on drugs is now 40yrs old ...who do you reckon won ...quite some time back as well?
  • Options
    you think that they should make drugs legal to stop all the hassle with money and things?
  • Options
    yes, like rolly has said many a time if they were in control of the goverment, there would be no dodgy deals or things, like with the opium of the past.

mr blair , you should pick up a history book
  • Options
    you think that they should make drugs legal to stop all the hassle with money and things?
    yes i do. being illegal means society turning it's back on a social problem of our own making ...a problem which is costing lives and wealth. a problem which is worth so much in cash free pound notes that it becomes neccessary to carry a gun ...and that has spiralled out of control.
    it's time someone got some balls and legalised the selling and distribution of pure drugs ...therbyu taking control of the situation.
    it's estimated that in the uk we could be spending upwards of ten billion quid a year on cannabis alone ...doesn't make sense to me to have that kind of money in the hands of crooks and terrorists.
    legalising drugs would be the biggest and most sucsessful step in reducing crime ever seen by a generation..
  • Options
    Do you drink? I put it to you that more people die from drink abuse than weed etc. That may have already been mentioned, hope not.
  • Options
    A question for drug users :)

Right if i were an alcoholic and i wanted to come clean i would not be given any alcohol so why when someone decides to come of drugs do they give methadone ?

edited to say :
    I saw this on a page ive looked at tonight and it was a professional of some sort saying they thought it was basically a stupid idea. So wondered what your thoughts were on the subject.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

Right if i were an alcoholic and i wanted to come clean i would not be given any alcohol so why when someone decides to come of drugs do they give methadone ?
    there are shcemes and treatment for alcoholics where they do use alcohol. where you learn to be a sensible as opposed to destructive drinker.
    the idea of methadone prescribing is deeply flawed.
    the meth is more addictive then the heroin. it stops you withdrawing from the heroin but at some point you have to suffer worse withdrawl from the meth. it also makes you feel monged out so you start to crave the odd bit of heroin as well and inevitably end up using both ...double addiction!
    if someone wants to remain on heroin then give them clean heroin ...pure heroin from the chemist ...give it to them for free if necessary cos the guy will have what he wants but won't be worrying about where the money for the next hit is coming from so will have no need to rob me and you! it might not help the addict but it would certainly reduce crime for the rest of us.
    the most sucessful and most expensive rehabs don't give you any drugs ...if you realy want to come off your coming off now ...then they teach you how to stay off.
    prescribing substitutes only seems to make matters worse.
  • Options
    If someone was to stop smoking, rather than one day deciding to never touch a cigarette again the majority of people cut down the number they smoke gradually until their cravings arn't as strong.

If you go cold turkey you're more likely to just think fuck it and spark up again, or in this case, have another 'last' hit.

Have you ever seen Trainspotting? The scene where he's going cold turkey in his room with the dead baby running about on the ceiling shows how hard going cold turkey from heroin could be (that said, I've never used heroin nor methadone).

Therefore, to ween people off the heroin, they give them methadone. Not enough to give them a good 'hit' but enough to dull their craving and in theory eventually lessen the dose until they no longer depend on any opiates.

It's like saying you're going to stop using the computer and the internet. If you decided that tonight and said you were never going to touch it again, at times you'd get very, very tempted and probably would crave in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the meth is more addictive then the heroin. it stops you withdrawing from the heroin but at some point you have to suffer worse withdrawl from the meth. it also makes you feel monged out so you start to crave the odd bit of heroin as well and inevitably end up using both ...double addiction!

So lets assume im on methadone now, how does it work ?
    Like I go to he g.p and he gives me a prescription just for a certain amount. Do i have to go to the G.P everyday for that prescription ?
    How long do i take methadone for and then get to the next stage of quitting?Sorry for sounding stupid and i know all cases are different so approx times and stuff.

Zoma im a smoker but if im quitting im quitting, its not a gradual thing you either smoke or give up 100%. If I cut down then I would slowly start smoking more and be back on my normal amount.
  • Options
    How long do i take methadone for and then get to the next stage of quitting?Sorry for sounding stupid and i know all cases are different so approx times and stuff.

last contact i had with methadone and the prescribing of it is back in the early 80's.
    i can honestly say i don't know of one person who has come off opiates completely by taking methadone. i know hundreds of ex heroin addicts who are good guys again. in every respect ...i think all of them will have used a little methadone now and then but not to come off.
    once your getting a script you will just keep getting it and in some cases have it upped in dosage every six months.
    prescribing methadone is a nonsense.
  • Options

Drink is a drug. One of the more destructive addictive ones. Way more damaging than heroin.
  • Options

You might be given antabuse or benzodiazepines. Stopping drinking abruptly if you have a full on physical dependency can kill.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Exactly. Alcohol is the the only drug you can come off that can actually kill you on withdrawal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by luby
    yes, like rolly has said many a time if they were in control of the goverment, there would be no dodgy deals or things, like with the opium of the past.

mr blair , you should pick up a history book

i dont agree with you an roll on this one.

thats in an IDEAL world, but we dont live in an ideal world, and making drugs legal isnt going to stop dodgy deals.

id hate to live in a world were certain drugs were made legal. Cananbis, i think is one thing but speed, coke, heroin... making them legal wouldnt make the situation any better.
  • Options
    Why wouldnt they be given alcohol? Because there are safer drugs they can use while the VERY serious withdrawl happens, alcohol is one of if not up there with the hardest drugs to come off.

I have heard excellent reports about the use of GHB in treatment inconjunction with certain types of antibiotics which will make you puke if you take alcohol.

I'd aggree with you Minxy, to legalise over night would unleash a serious plague of trouble. It needs to be done over time with a serious level of public education. I think it could be done safely over about a ten year period.
  • Options
    Maybe ten years, but i think for it to work, society has to accept it and that wont happen in ten years.

Theres no straight forward answers, but i think saying 'lets go and legalise drugs' is the dumbest of the lot.
  • Options
    The problem stems from the view of 'drugs' as one substance, they are not, they range from the very dangerous (crack) to the normally harmless (cannabis).
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Exactly. Alcohol is the the only drug you can come off that can actually kill you on withdrawal.

Benzodiazepine or barbiturate withdrawal can kill as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    id hate to live in a world were certain drugs were made legal. Cananbis, i think is one thing but speed, coke, heroin... making them legal wouldnt make the situation any better.

Making heroin legal would makes things lots better IMO. Not too sure about crack, but I think it would probably be better than the situation we have now.