Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Racists on the rise?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Article here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3505373.stm

violence is bad enough. Violence motivated by no personal cause but a racial prejudice is worse. Although a lot of people keep seeing the Israel/Palestine conflict being the fault of the Jews, not the ruling government in Israel (though in my belief it's part responsibility of Israel and Palestine).

The Nazi's did it. The Christians did it. 'King Nebuchadnezzer' did it. Palestines have been doing it since Israel.

Do the Jews have a 'hate me' sign stuck on their back or something?

Comments

• Options
    I was talking to my dad the other day, about how i hate the fact that throughout history Judaism as a faith, and Jewish people have been attacked. I couldnt come up with any answers, for each situation I could say well this happened because etc.. but its not as easy as that, Id like to know why.. all my dad could say was 'Jewish people claim land that isnt theres.' Thats not an answer, im hopeing people can come up with some in this thread :)
  • Options
    There was an EU report on this asserting that most of the anti-Semitic incidents occuring Europe-wide were coming from young males of arab origin, not organised by far-right groups
  • Options
    Jewish people are entitled to a homeland the same as people of any other faith. In my opinion Israel is the homeland of Judaism. Yes I am Jewish although I don't practise and I am disgusted by anti semitism.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    There was an EU report on this asserting that most of the anti-Semitic incidents occuring Europe-wide were coming from young males of arab origin, not organised by far-right groups

Do you think you could find a link to that ladymuck? It could be an interesting read.....
  • Options
    EU report

This was discussed on R4 as the methodology of the report was unreasonablt criticised by an anti-racist group, the findings being not to their liking
  • Options
    That link doesn't prove much of anything does it ladymuck?

Are you so eager to defend the integrity of far right groups?
  • Options

Find your own then, the report exists regardless

no, just unsheathing my simple sword of truth
  • Options
    Aladdin, the EU was one of the last reports in the issue. About a year ago Time magazine made a report stating about the same, highlighting that the ironic thing is that currently it is the far-left groups who are involved in the current rise of anti-semitism through-out Europe.
  • Options
    I have not heard or read about any incidents whatsoever in which left-wing groups attacked Jewish people or property.

Criticism of the government and army of Israel is as high as ever if not higher, but as it has been repeated ad infinitum criticism of the Israeli government, right wing parties or assorted nutters and the IDF does not equate to anti-semitism. The left has been as horrified as the Jews themselves by the desecration of Jewish cemeteries and other acts of vandalism, and I can assure you that no left winger has or would be involved in such acts.

Frankly I'm starting to get extremely fucking sick and tired at the right wing media's claims (especially in America where the public don't have the benefit of first hand experiences) that the Left in Europe are all nazi apologists and Jew haters.

As far as I am concerned the people who make such claims are insulting the memories of the 6 million people killed by the nazis, not to mention lowering the significant of the Holocaust and using the atrocity to push their agendas and score cheap political points.

Let's not forget that it is the fascists and right wing groups who have a long and well documented history of desecrating Jewish graves and graffiting swastikas all over the place, as well as defending/admiring the nazis and denying the Holocaust.

I have no doubt that a few Muslim extremists have been involved in attacks on Jews but it would be extremely idiotic to suggest a majority of Muslims in Europe do such things. Oh, and ladymuck, I bet that for every attack on a Jewish person in Europe I can find examples of attacks on 20 Muslims/Arabs.
  • Options
    Anti-semitism and any form of racism unfortunately occurs right across the political and social spectrum. Both Stalin and Hitler were anti-semitic, trade unions in the past have dragged their heels when it comes to making a stand against racism for fear of 'upsetting' the majority of their members.

Racism is disgusting and is caused by mainly by ignorance and unrational fears, it makes me sick to think that one minority who have had suffered from its effects should attack another who also suffered.

I grew up in a multicultural area, have exposed myself to different cultures at home and abroad all my life and I am more the richer for it and wouldn't change it for the world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    no, just unsheathing my simple sword of truth

The same one used by Jonathan Aitken?
  • Options
    Aladdin I understand where you are coming from but lets not get into a numbers game on this. It doesn't matter what the ratios are its all bad and should be stamped on.
  • Options
    Fair enough. Though that particular remark was directed at someone who does not reason in a normal way and for whom the remark seemed appropriate.
  • Options
    The same one used by Jonathan Aitken?

i'd be deeply honoured to think so:)
    As far as I am concerned the people who make such claims are insulting the memories of the 6 million people killed by the nazis, not to mention lowering the significant of the Holocaust and using the atrocity to push their agendas and score cheap political points.

oh for god's sake

Oh, and ladymuck, I bet that for every attack on a Jewish person in Europe I can find examples of attacks on 20 Muslims/Arabs.

yes, so, justification or what exactly?
  • Options
    The problem is that some idiots can't distinguish between criticising Isreal and anti-semitism.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    The problem is that some idiots can't distinguish between criticising Isreal and anti-semitism.

i further that, but i criticise both sides in the israeli/palestinian problems for not risking some of their pride/political points for some actual gesture to say they want to make it work... hoever the best thing at the moment is to withdraw from the settlements, or at least stop building them and get talking....

but off that topic....

what i dont get is, the jewish population put up with the nazi who were truly the scum of the earth, yet they dont criticise the israeli government for using almost the same tactics against the palestinians... that causes a lot of resentment, but yeh sometimes wen you're out you still hear the same old anti semetic jokes which aint funny and are just plain old stupid, okay that was at my school, and the people that told them were hindu :S but they believe it to be true!EDITED TO SAY: the twats they were
  • Options
    Yet 99.99% of those who would actually accuse the Jews of being responsible for spreading plagues and AIDS, or remind the world that they "killed Jesus" and any other nonsense are none others than fascists and nazis.

I have not met a single person in my entire life who have accused the Jews of anything, either as individuals or as a people.

Fascists, racists and nazis are the enemy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Let's not forget that it is the fascists and right wing...I have no doubt that a few Muslim extremists have been involved in attacks on Jews but it would be extremely idiotic to suggest a majority of Muslims in Europe do such things.

Fascism and being Arabic are not mutually exclusive, Aladdin. It is equally idiotic to suggest that a majority of Slavs or English behave in such a way, but that doesn't mean that none of them do.

Anti-semitism has always been prevalent in Europe, especially in the east, but that doesn't mean that all Eastern Europeans are racist bigots. Be careful what you say.

I bet that for every attack on a Jewish person in Europe I can find examples of attacks on 20 Muslims/Arabs.

When would we start collecting data Aladdin? And where would we collect data from? In the UK it is probably true now what you say, but certainly in the East it is not. Though even then it is a matter of access- if there were no Arabs to attack here the Jewish would be, and if there were millions of Arabs in the East then they would be. It's a pointless comparison, and one that appears to be very very racist.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

Anti-semitism has always been prevalent in Europe, especially in the east, but that doesn't mean that all Eastern Europeans are racist bigots. Be careful what you say.
    Anyone who is an anti-semite is a racist bigot. If that includes large sections of the population of a country, so be it.

Though I don't believe that's the case.

When would we start collecting data Aladdin? And where would we collect data from? In the UK it is probably true now what you say, but certainly in the East it is not. Though even then it is a matter of access- if there were no Arabs to attack here the Jewish would be, and if there were millions of Arabs in the East then they would be. It's a pointless comparison, and one that appears to be very very racist.
    I knew I shouldn't have posted that comment and I regret doing so. But Ladymuck got me worked up with what I understood to be remarks portraying the Muslims/Arabs in Europe as a bunch of untouchable bullies responsible for all kind of evils inflicted on Jewish people. Whereas the truth is that it is the fascist white Christian nazis and neonazis such as BNP members and similar pondscum elsewhere have always been and still are the ones spreading hatred towards the Jews and painting swastikas in Jewish cemeteries.

At no point I would condone attacks on Jewish people or pretend they're less important than attacks on Muslims because they might be more widespread. But like BlackArab and you have pointed out it is not a question of numbers or comparisons so I apologise for the remark.
  • Options
    telegraph on EU report
    But Ladymuck got me worked up with what I understood to be remarks portraying the Muslims/Arabs in Europe as a bunch of untouchable bullies responsible for all kind of evils inflicted on Jewish people.

Did you get dropped on your head as a kid? Your leaps in a parallel universe of exaggeration are staggering
  • Options
    So? There's idiots in every group of people. Doesn't mean that Muslim's as a group are responsible.
  • Options
    Pfft!!! People have a right to be racist if they choose!!!!

In a free society, you cannot tell people what they can think! Only actions which harm should be frowned upon!
  • Options
    Yes, people have a right to think what they like. Other people have the right to call them c unts for having those views.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Jewish people are entitled to a homeland the same as people of any other faith. In my opinion Israel is the homeland of Judaism. Yes I am Jewish although I don't practise and I am disgusted by anti semitism.

OK, so Jesus was a Jew!! Why not make Isreal the Christian homeland?! :cool:

I ain't got nothing against Jews!!!
  • Options
    I have no doubt that a very few Muslims youths have been involved in acts of anti-semitism Ladymuck. Those people are scum.

What is also true is that this is a particularly new set of events. We all know who has been responsible for the great majority of attacks against Jewish people for the last 70 years.

I would like to see what the actual proportion of these "many" attacks actually constitute.

I would also like to see those numbers checked against Muslim-related incidents that happened before 9-11 and the subsequent wave of prejudice and attacks against Muslims that has swept much of the world (again, I am in no way condoning or justifying any attacks, but there is a clear explanation for the rise in such incidents).

If we were all to categorise races and people by the actions of a few, I can assure you that WASPs would be regarded as the most evil group of people ever to walk the earth.
  • Options
    If we were all to categorise races and people by the actions of a few, I can assure you that WASPs would be regarded as the most evil group of people ever to walk the earth.

Really? I'd like to see a breakdown on that. If WASPs have had a greater influence for as you'd say, evil it's because WASP countries have been more advanced than many. Who's to say that non-WASPs wouldn't have done the same or worse had they been in the position to do so. It's not as if there aren't genocidal actions across the globe, these days checked by the Western-inspired UN

I'm not beating myself up for anything
  • Options
    You are great at spectacularly missing the point ladymuck. The point is that we don't judge an entire group of people in that way.
    But you know that, right? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

No of course she isnt, although I'm sure youd be quicker to defend young males of arab origin.
  • Options
    Pfft!!! People have a right to be racist if they choose!!!!

Actually I agree, people do have the right to be racist, sexist, homophobic and elitist if they choose. As long as they don't go battering people and as long as they can justify what they believe.

It's the way of the world, people have prejudice, in fact everybody has. And it's just as bad in my opinion for a racist guy to deck a black guy as it is for a lefty to deck somebody for saying something racist.

I'm not racist, or elitist it's just that people should have the right to think the way they want to without being hassled. As long as they ain't hurting anyone then what's the problem?
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    No of course she isnt

How do you know? Are you one of her BNP cronies?