Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

4 in 10 teenagers on drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to a survey done by the News of the World they say 4 in 10 teenagers are on drugs...drugs our in schools everywhere they said..they had undercover reporters in, cheap beans, 50p each one and he could get as many as he wanted, cheap skunk...pupils out on the field smoking joints...made feel like a leper if you don't smoke joints or pop e's.

There was also an article debating if pupils should be random drug tested in schools now.

Do you think this would be right, I know there are people all over the Uk who smoke drugs in school but what about drug users who go to school but don't smoke them in school and only take them outside of school...they're going to be targeted as well.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah.Right.
    No way are "4 in 10" teenagers on drugs. You would need to give a percent to be more accurate.
    Still it would be a good idear to do drugs tests in schools but not on random kids as this is unfair and asian kids would sue for "racism" most proberly. What would be better is to test the whole school or at least year nine and upwards.
    I think if they test positive then an expeltion would be needed as drug rehbilitation would not work and its expensive. However the parents could pay for it themselvs if they wanted.
  • Options
    4 in 10 is a percent my boy, it's 40%. Do you know that this figure is wrong? (I certainly havent followed the drug issues in the past few years so it would seem possible that a large minority like that might be an accurate assessment).
  • Options
    news of the world is hardly a reliable source. Beans at 50p each my arse you can only buy them at that price if you bought in bulk and it would need to be a lot!!
  • Options
    Beans cost about 25p each to make so if your buying them in at 50p a time you would need to buy at least a 1000 maybe?

i dont see how school kids could get hold of this amount unless their playing the "middleman" for a dealer
  • Options
    Re: 4 in 10 teenagers on drugs
    Originally posted by Shogun
    According to a survey done by the News of the World they say 4 in 10 teenagers are on drugs

Are 'on' drugs, does that mean they've tried them, they do them at parties, they do them recreationally or as a habit?
    Makaveli UkNo way are "4 in 10" teenagers on drugs. You would need to give a percent to be more accurate.

Statistics aren't accurate anyway. Where would you get the sample from? What do you call 'drug abuse'? Questionnaires are ridiculous when measuring anything but human geography and elements of science.

Still it would be a good idear to do drugs tests in schools but not on random kids as this is unfair and asian kids would sue for "racism" most proberly. What would be better is to test the whole school or at least year nine and upwards.

That's a bit over the top in my opinion... in fact it sounds pretty stupid.
    I think if they test positive then an expeltion would be needed as drug rehbilitation would not work and its expensive. However the parents could pay for it themselvs if they wanted.

So if a kid tests positive for cannabis then they should go to rehab? If a child had an addiction strong enough to require rehab the teacher would notice anyway.
  • Options
    I said drug rehab would NOT work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Makaveli UK

Well you seemed to imply by your post that it was a possibility. That's like me talking about cat flu and say "well culling all cats won't work" out of the blue.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Who is to say the 4 in 10 teenagers aren't aged say 16-19

I think I could safely assume that more 19 year olds take drugs in comparrison to a thirteen year old

Actually, the focus of the article was more based around the ages 12-16. There were a few case studies focusing on specific schools around the country in which the pinpointed dealers (a worrying majority of which 13 years old).
    news of the world is hardly a reliable source. Beans at 50p each my arse you can only buy them at that price if you bought in bulk and it would need to be a lot!!

I know what you mean - that is really cheap, but the paper was not stating this as a fact, that comment was a quote of what one of the in-school dealers said to the investigator. He also said that cocaine was £20 a gram which is also very cheap.

It made an interesting read, there wasn't really that much information there - it just focused on certain individuals and how the drugs hierarchy works in different schools. I'd like to know how many youngsters they interviewed, and see if it statistically significant - it's one thing to throw around figures and it's another for them to have any truth in them.

That said, no doubt there is a big drugs problem - I know a fair few people ranging from 14 to 19 who all take ecstasy, cocaine, crack, allsorts and really, 14 is far, far too young to be taking things like that. Views on drugs have changed and like the article said in certain areas/schools you're made to feel a bit of a leper if you don't take drugs so it's a bit of a no win situation for impressionable youths.
  • Options
    i think smoking weed even at 12 or 13 is wrong but im dead against kids that age doing class As its fuckin madness, stick to cigarettes and booze save drugs for later!!!

If its cool for kids to be doing drugs and the percentage gets higher in future years this country really is going down the shitter!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    what makes cigarettes and alcohol any better

these children are probably doing just as much harm to themselves by drinking and smoking at such a young age.. whatever percentage of them are doing drugs, or any class, there wil be at least an equal or higher percentage of them drinking and smoking

Yes but doing those is safer then doing anything you can buy on the black market.

Drugs change the way you think they alter your perceptions open up your mind a young teenager doesnt need to do things like this.
  • Options
    what i mean is i`d rather see kids smoking or drinking then doing drugs, drugs are a experience best left to your old enough to appreciate them.
  • Options
    Personally I would suggest the figure of teenagers using drugs would actually be higher than 40%.

Last time I heard anything it was about 50% at least had used cannabis in the last month. But then it depends how you ask the questions and what ages you ask.

As for 50p a pill, that doesnt surprise me what so ever to be honest, they dont cost as much as 25p each to make. 50mg of poorly made MDMA will cost you no more than 5-10p each pill, and thats whats in most pills these days.

This is another sign that the drugs education in this country is failing drasticly. Strong drugs such as MDMA and cocaine should not be used by children, they are dangerous enough for adults.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    what i mean is i`d rather see kids smoking or drinking then doing drugs, drugs are a experience best left to your old enough to appreciate them.

I would argue that drugs are best left to never if possible, rather than when you're older.

Smoking is probably worst because getting hooked early could mean 30 years of it and lung cancer rather than some kid who tries a few drugs at a young age and never does them again.
  • Options
    all my kids smoke weed and pop the occasional E. but their all grown ups. there is absolutely no way they could even smoke fags until they were sixteen ...the odd drink at fourteen was allowed ...but they come home high or pissed they would have gotten a very hefty clout!
  • Options
    most probably more!
  • Options

Not necessary for something like cannabis or ecstasy use anyway.
    But the facts show that rehab does work for heroin, alcohol and crack use.

Got any facts to back your assertion up?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Not necessary for something like cannabis or ecstasy use anyway.
    But the facts show that rehab does work for heroin, alcohol and crack use.

Got any facts to back your assertion up?
    a year in jail and eight weeks in rehab ...the last time i touched heroin was 1986.
  • Options
    z0ma pretty much said what i was going to say about the paper.

50mg mdma bong? where did you get that figure? I had some at the weekend, well only 1/2 a one and i was feeling it nicely for 4 hours, got to have been more than 50mg in the whole pill.

It comes as no suprise to see the results of the survey, they are right or maybe they'r wrong..maybe more teens are on drugs, like i know loads of people who are taking either 1 or more drugs, mainly speed, coke and e's and cannabis of course, the occasional person would have poppers, acid or mushrooms, well the mushrooms can be got legally so anybody can get them anytime, i've seen 13 year olds smoking blow in the school toilets, silly ****s, that's explusion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    toi silly ****s, that's explusion.
    i've tried most things but i've never been expluded.
  • Options
    I'm dissapointed you didn't reply bong.
  • Options
    Sorry mate, I was getting there, I have been quite busy of late.

50mg is a figure I have heard banded about from a few sources as the average amount of MDMA in a pill these days, although doing an average of this type is nigh on impossible really because, well they're illegal arent they.

Of course there are good pills about, and if you got effect from 1/2 then maybe that one was 100mg, or maybe there was a bit of MDA in there too. Thats more powerful per mg and at low doses knowing there is some in there with the MDMA isnt always easy.

The situation in NI might be different than here, I know that the drugs trade is in different hands shall we say
  • Options
    Yea, alot of the drug money in this country goes to the paramilatries.
  • Options
    as drug rehbilitation would not work

i do not know a single person who has not cleaned up after rehab, even if they had to go back a second time. A friend, alcoholic of over 20 years had a month or so rehab, not touched a drink since. And that sort of life long addiction is terrible to overcome.
  • Options
    I think, if people are going to study drug use in kids.. they want to shock.. theyre going to study inner city schools, comprehensives in deprived areas and so forth...

you wont see them studying grammar schools, or schools in middle class areas, wont get the stats they want.
  • Options
    J - Thats fantastic, do you really believe that? Statans playground, wow, thats strong stuff, Revelations talk.

Hell in a hand basket thats what I say!
  • Options
    having recently passed through manchester i discovered that crack is plentiful and very cheap ...good quality too.
    it sounds a bit scary doesn't it?

but ...the reason it is so cheap, is no one wants it ...you can't give it away! crack dealers are looked down on by everbody ...even drug dealers ...even heroin dealers! so the reason theres so much of it about is not as scary as the media would have us believe.
    something has worked ...education ...propaganda ...something has worked.
    i like to think it's because the vast majority of drug users are sensible. not many people desire such self destruction as a way of life.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    *If you are looking for the 9/11 bit, I moved it to a seperate thread*
  • Options
    it was a brief aside LJ, not worth getting into a repeat of past pointless efforts and not worth another thread frankly.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Yeah, but it was completely off topic, if it wasn't worth talking about what was it doing here!!!!!
  • Options
    I merely got drawn in to the aside that others had raised. It's my nature to entice others to question. Sorry again.