Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Makaveli UK

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why don't we try and ignore him, eh? I know its fun playing with stupid people, but he's loving it.

He's an attention starved little boy and maybe if we ignore him he'll go away.

Comments

• Options
    Rules for this forum:
    1. Please respect the opinions of others. Just because you don’t agree, doesn’t give you the right to make personal attacks on that person.
  • Options
    Re: Makaveli UK
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Why don't we try and ignore him, eh? I know its fun playing with stupid people, but he's loving it.

He's an attention starved little boy and maybe if we ignore him he'll go away.

Agreed but saying all that he does provide hours of entertainment!
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Rules for this forum:

This person is going out of his way to act a troll as i and others also witnessed last night.

I think blagstas well within his rights to inform people that might not know about him.
  • Options
    Ahh trolls... can't live with them, can't live without them.

Though I'd rather prefer a resident bigot to a troll, but the former position seems to be vacant again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Rules for this forum:

Who died and made you moderator? If the mods have a problem with this post I'm sure they'll delete it and PM me about it.

Anyway, you're a fine one to talk about rules of this forum. You never read rule number 2? Shall I quote it for you?
    2. Racist, hateful, defamatory or otherwise illegal posts are not suitable.
  • Options
    Aye but they're only opinions. Yeah, it seems like the lass/lad's trying to get a rise out of people like Monocrat and that nazi guy did, but at the end of the day it's best not to rise to them.
  • Options
    No of course not. It's better to ignore them. Or, instead getting incensed at their incendiary comments (which is what trolls aim at) simply demolish their feeble arguments and humilliate them, as poor Makaveli has found to their cost in the Tony Martin thread. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No of course not. It's better to ignore them. Or, instead getting incensed at their incendiary comments (which is what trolls aim at) simply demolish their feeble arguments and humilliate them, as poor Makaveli has found to their cost in the Tony Martin thread. :D

I heartily endorse this event and/or product
  • Options
    From my own experience of trolls, my advice is to never react with anger. Take your time responding, especially since trolls like to get an instant reaction. In short, ask yourself what kind of response the troll would like to provoke and deny it to them. Just withholding any reply at all would do but, inevitably, time will reveal a really good reposte. Let him sweat meantime :)

Of course, there's always the Mil.com approach... Appoint (or just elect yourself) a 'Troll hunter extraordinaire', and encourage posters to run around like headless chickens, crying for the mods whenever some new poster reveals a sliver of independent thought :D

Edited to correct an atrocious spelling error :)
  • Options
    Re: Makaveli UK
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Why don't we try and ignore him, eh?

He has brought some topics to the board though and it has been fun to watch :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Makaveli UK
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    He has brought some topics to the board though and it has been fun to watch :D
    :yes: And I agree with most of his opinions, although the sources he quotes are very dubious indeed.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Makaveli UK
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    :yes: And I agree with most of his opinions, although the sources he quotes are very dubious indeed.
    i hope you all realise he is but a child.
  • Options
    Why are you so scared of Macaveli UK? The guy have moderate conservative opinions. Some guys here have quite not moderate but extreme far-left, actually communist opinions. Aladdin for example. But nobody proposes to boycott him. Double standards?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    Why are you so scared of Macaveli UK? The guy have moderate conservative opinions. Some guys here have quite not moderate but extreme far-left, actually communist opinions. Aladdin for example. But nobody proposes to boycott him. Double standards?

It's not the opinion he asserts, but the way he asserts it and it does appear as if he's trying to annoy people sometimes. You can have an opinion but you should back it up and not tell somebody that they're poorly educated if they do not agree.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    It's not the opinion he asserts, but the way he asserts it and it does appear as if he's trying to annoy people sometimes. You can have an opinion but you should back it up and not tell somebody that they're poorly educated if they do not agree.
    But what if somebody is REALLY poorely educated? Convincing him in the opposite is a lie, right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    But what if somebody is REALLY poorely educated? Convincing him in the opposite is a lie, right?

The fact is that he didn't back up his facts, the other person knew what they were talking about and that's what he said. If you write an opinion then you back it up. Hence this is for debate, not arguements.
  • Options
    In my opinion if your that "poorly educated" you`d stay away from forums such as this because chances are most of the discussions and debates would go way over your head.
  • Options
    You cant argue with the facts that people like him do inject some life into the boards. Same as I'm sure quite a few of us would like to see PJ poet surfer or whatever his name was back.

But, to term him a 'moderate conservative' if he's moderate I dred to think what the extreme is, have you read his posts about drug users?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    But, to term him a 'moderate conservative' if he's moderate I dred to think what the extreme is, have you read his posts about drug users?

I haven't, but he doesn't seem especially extreme, tbh- he's not as racist as a lot of people on here sometimes eppear to be.

But if all opinions have to always be backed up with pure fact, then I don't think any of us could stay. I guess the trouble is that there is a left-wing consensus on here a lot of the time, which tends to mean it's only the right-wingers who have to continually justify their position.

Take religion- Aladdin says a lot of things about religious people being dangerous, but he doesn't have to back that up with fact. I have seen Christians referred to as "little Hitlers" on here, but that opinion wasn't challenged because it fits in with the consensus.

Always remember that just because you agree with the spin it doesn't mean that the spin is correct. I've said before that Michael Moore is as biased as Ann Coulter is, and is just as liberal with half-baked bias and propaganda, but the consensus on here agrees with him so his bias and his half-truths are ignored whilst Coulter's are vilified.
  • Options
    Actually Kermy, Moore seeks to awaken people to the larger picture at work in terms of the corporate sell out of our democratic systems by Democrats as well as Republicans and in that he can in no way be compared to the purely self-righteous ultra-right wing partisan rantings of Coulter.

Moore takes Clinton and Gore to task as much as he takes Bush and his cronies.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Actually Kermy, Moore seeks to awaken people to the larger picture at work in terms of the corporate sell out of our democratic systems by Democrats as well as Republicans and in that he can in no way be compared to the purely self-righteous ultra-right wing partisan rantings of Coulter.

Moore takes Clinton and Gore to task as much as he takes Bush and his cronies.

Of course, but he is still biased- he's just biased against the whole lot of 'em...

Mind, I don't think there is such a thing as objective truth- the truth is what one wishes to believe.
  • Options
    So if I stab you through the heart,for example, and you wish not to believe that it will kill you, that makes it true?

There is objective truth, the implications of any truth might be open for debate, but there are factual realities surrounding us and affecting us daily.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    There is objective truth, the implications of any truth might be open for debate, but there are factual realities surrounding us and affecting us daily.

Physical realities are different:p

I was more thinking in a poilitical sort of way, but don't hurt me- it's not an opinion I've thought about for very long:p

I just think most people put bias and spin on everything they do. One can take the fact that, say, 2+2=4 and spin it in any number of ways...actually, that example is a bit too Orwellian...
  • Options
    I can see what you mean about there being a somewhat lefty slant on here, but I think it is more of a liberal slant rather than lefty in the traditional way.

I totally aggree with you on the religion front though, there does seem to be an attitude of extrapolating the actions of some Christians/Whatever to mean all of them.

But, I still think that Makoveli UK is reactionary in his views.
  • Options
    Of course there is some degree of spin placed on assessments of actualities (or truths if you will) and that is what i meant by the implications of a given truth.

Many actualities are nontheless quite objectively true, i.e. the ownership of all media into fewer and fewer corporate hands. What one or another makes of that and its ramifications is what is open to conflicting analysis.

And i wouldnt really hurt you, you should know that by now ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I can see what you mean about there being a somewhat lefty slant on here, but I think it is more of a liberal slant rather than lefty in the traditional way.

I totally aggree with you on the religion front though, there does seem to be an attitude of extrapolating the actions of some Christians/Whatever to mean all of them.

But, I still think that Makoveli UK is reactionary in his views.

I think he is, but I don't think he's being particularly offensive, tbh.

I think it does tend to be quite "lefty" actually, which I don't think is a bad thing but hell. It's still there.

Yeah, I see what you mean Clandestine. I guess it's what I mean, just put better:)
  • Options
    I guess it's all about perceptions. I've always thought of this forum as being a tad right-leaning, in particular with issues regarding race and immigration. I find this all the more surprising because this forum is supposed to have rather young user age and I'd expected to find a bit more tolerance and open mindness from young people than you would in older people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I find this all the more surprising because this forum is supposed to have rather young user age and I'd expected to find a bit more tolerance and open mindness from young people than you would in older people.

That always gets me too, it seems alot of my freinds are quite right wing leaning, even as far as the BNP with some people:eek2:
  • Options
    I think the immigrant issue is changing things, scary really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    That always gets me too, it seems alot of my freinds are quite right wing leaning, even as far as the BNP with some people:eek2:

A lot of people are, and I don't quite know why.

I think it's because the young tend to rebel against the status quo, and the staus quo at the minute is to be socially and racially tolerant.
This discussion has been closed.