Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Police Stations and arrest

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So we have the thread regarding criminal record, now if we can go to what its actually like to be arrested.
What is the routine, whats it like to be swooped upon in the street and maybe handcuffed ? what happens at the station, court whats that like ?

Again pretty personal stuff so if anyone replies please can we respect people for replying after all some people could be ashamed of what they have done, some might not be bothered but this aint about judging them its digging deeper and getting a better picture of the crime and the treatment received.

cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    I've been arrested about 10 times or so, only been in court twice (well, 3 times, but the 3rd time I was suing the police. I lost).
    Most of them were for political activism, such as hunt sabbing or road protests, and most were blatant false arrests.
    I did however get hauled out of a pub once by CID when I was heavily involved in then 1994 campaign against the Criminal Justice Bill.
    Never been handcuffed, but been locked up for about 12 hours. The worst thing is the boredom.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta

Never been handcuffed, but been locked up for about 12 hours. The worst thing is the boredom.

Did you get food and drinks during that time ?

sorry I know some questions I ask sound rather silly but I have not got a clue so its through people like yourself how I will find stuff out like this.

Also as we are aware WW is now in the job maybe some stuff here could help him be one of he nicer guys in the job :)
  • Options
    I was arested about a year ago at around midnight for "Distubence of the peace".
    Not guilty sir.
    Anyway they put the cuffs on me and all that shit they didint read me my rights and I was taken thrown in a cell (after my shoes were removed incase I might "hang my self".)
    And at five in the morning I was allowed to go home and let out the back exit.
    I was 14, miles away from home and I still think it was all some sick joke.

:(
  • Options
    Hi Becky,

I study law in college and can tell you the routine officers should follow when searching and arresting suspects.

Unfortunately I don't have time tonight, but let me know if you'd like what I know.

Alix

Edit: Mak, I'm not sure if they can detain under 17's oO;
  • Options
    Originally posted by Xila
    I study law in college and can tell you the routine officers should follow when searching and arresting suspects.

they rarely follow it ime
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Did you get food and drinks during that time ?

water but nothing else
  • Options
    Originally posted by Xila
    Hi Becky,

Unfortunately I don't have time tonight, but let me know if you'd like what I know.

Alix

Thanks for that but im interested in real life stories, the truth about what happens when your arrested. Things which go on that someone like myself who has never been in a police cell would not know about.

You see of late we have talked in this forum about crime and it was drawn to my attention that I always talk about the 'victim' so I thought lets get an insight to the other side. I dont really know much at all about this subject and am quite interested in hearing what members have to say.

• Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    water but nothing else

really, that shocks me actually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    really, that shocks me actually.

If you get arrested on a demo, the police treat you like scum of the earth.
  • Options
    I've been arrested before but never got handcuffed, never went to court, just to the cop shop and sat there for a while then let out a few hours later...i've had the cops take me home before, just lifted, not taken to the police station, never been to court.
  • Options
    he's right ...demonstrators and strikers get treated very badly compared with your average criminal.
    i'll try and get my head round this later ...i have good and bad tales to tell.
  • Options
    When I was arrested the police were basically waiting for me at the end of my shift at work. They asked me if I had anything on me, I figured I didnt really want a FULL search so I gave them the cigs I had.

I was then taken to the police station and put in a holding cell for a few hours. Had my picture taken, fingers done etc.

The my mum turned up, they had phoned her even though I was old enough to be there by myself, which wasnt exactly fun.

I had a really short interview where they accused me of stealing more, I said no, they said are you sure, I said yes. (I knew they didnt have any evidence to do me with).

I was then given a lecture about how much paper work I had made them do, given a caution and shoved out the door.
  • Options
    When I was 14 I was caught shoplifting with a friend in town. We ran away but the security guard caught us and made us go back to the shop and wait in this office, till the police came. When they came they just asked us all our details, then walked with us through town to the car. My face has never burned so much, everyone was looking. That was probably the worst part.

I'm sure they just wanted to give me and my friend a bad shock so we never did anything like that again, and it did work, I have never ever shoplifted since then, it isn't worth it.

When we got to the police station, they took all our things off us and put them into plastic bags. As it was a school day (although we were off legitematly, we had been on a trip to an industry and finished early), they phoned our school to check we were'nt skiving.

I had to wait in a cell for ages. It was horrible, completely bare just a thin mattress thing. I just kept crying, I was so scared of my parents finding out. My friend must have been waiting outside as I heard her Dad come and he was shouting at her, I was glad I was in the cell at that point.

I was fingerprinted, and had my photograph taken, I must have looked a sight with mascara down my cheeks and big red eyes. I was given a caution and had to sign some bits of paper.

My Mum works in another town so I was there for ages, a few hours, waiting.

It was a really horrible experience and what made it worse was that somehow, one of the police officers knew one of the teachers at my school, and by the next lunchtime, everyone at school knew about it too. So I didn't only get into trouble with the police, but also my parents, my teachers, and my so -called best friend wasn't allowed to have any contact with me after that.

I was very scared and upset at the time, it was my own fault though for stealing things, it was a phase I went through, and it is good that they were tough with me.
  • Options
    I haven't been arrested but I have been force searched/cautioned. During the firefighters strike I was hanging around minding my own business near a place where the PM himself was due to visit. I walked around the hotel he was speaking at wondering what the fuss was about.

I noticed several plain clothed people approach me, they showed me police and government ID and took me just out of public view. I noticed the snipers on the roof taking an aim and I was searched on suspision of "carrying missiles or subversive material". By this time several uniformed officers had also decended, I got dirty looks off the public, my possessions turned inside out etc. but no damage was done.

All of this was videoed and my details are now on record, as I was carrying an inflammitory left-wing pamphlet.

I was warned that if I did not co-operate I would've been arrested, I was cooperative though so they cautioned me and let me go.

I accept they're only doing their job so I don't really hold it against them.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've been arrested several times - mostly for fighting and drugs.

The first time I was handcuffed was when I was 14 and got arreseted while we were trying to nick a car. It was also the only time I've been forcefully arrested and it wasn;t a nice experience. On the floor, knee in the back, hands cuffed round my back in front of a bankholiday sunday crowd of New Forest tourists. :o

When I was 19 I got caught by sniffer dogs going into homelands with 8 pills and a fairy large amount of dope. All they kept asking was who sold me the pills. I wasn't about to grass up my dealer so I kept to the story that I'd bough them off some bloke just outside the event - eventually they let me go. Got let off with a caution for that too, and even mangaed to get back to the event.

The last (and hopefully final) time I was arrested was NYE 2001 when I got so drunk that I didn't know what I was doing. I got involved in a street fight that involved about 30 people, and we ended up causing thousands of pounds worth of damage to some blokes house. I was caught on CCTV with a hammer and I made front page news of the Salisbury journal a couple of days later.
    I was quietly arrested at the scene and taken to Salisbury cop shop where they kept on asking me what I'd taken apart from alcohol - for my own saftey apperently they needed to know. I admited to nothing because they'd have only used it against me later. They took my clothes and shoes, and gave me a paper suit and foam slippers to wear.
    I had two interviews but was finally charged me with Violent Dissorder and Criminal Damage and denied bail at the end of 24 hours - just before they would have had to let me go. In the end I spent 34 hours in the cell before getting transported form Salisbury to Chippenham Crown Court in a Group4 van. Sat in court with my paper suit with my mum looking on was the worst moment of my life. Thankfully the court granted me bail and I went home.

When I came to court I pleaded guilty and recieved 80 hours CS and a fine. My mates all pleaded not guilty and so the CPS tried to use me as a witness against them - which was a bit of a stich up. Then when they were found guilty they got less than me which severely fucked me off.

Gerenerally the police that have always arrested me have been pretty sound. I still have respect for them because I know what a little mouthy shit I used to be - and they have to deal with people like that every fucking day.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Thanks for these stories, it is interesting reading :)
  • Options
    I know its meant to be routine etc.. but at the end of the day, the pollice are people, some are ****s, some are decent, and some (rarely it seems) are law obiding.

There are so many times when my friends have been arrested and have been refused even a drink after 8 hours of being locked up in cells.

My fella was kept in a cell for over 10 hours (he was woken up and arrested at sometime around 9am so hadnt had breakfast) before being offered food, they brought his food to him and before he could even eat it he was dragged off to be interviewed, when he got back to the cell, the food was gone, he wasnt affered any more food by the police, they refused. His solicitor had to go to mac donalds and buy him some food, which by the time the police decided to let him eat it, was cold... He also hadnt been charged after 24 hours, yet he was still locked in a cell at the police station. They had not enough evidence to charge him yet even when he was released under house arrest they were hounding him. He was innocent and they treated him like a piece of shit.

power freaks.
  • Options
    The drugs squad are still corrupt as fuck as well. In the pockets of big drug dealing firms mostly.
  • Options
    There is more than enough money floating around the drug market to pay off a few coppers. Everyone has a price.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Makaveli UK

Anyway they put the cuffs on me and all that shit they didint read me my rights and I was taken thrown in a cell (after my shoes were removed incase I might "hang my self".)

your shoes?! :confused:

a sailor i knew was arrested for breach of the peace and was given rice crispies for his breakfast so they do feed them
  • Options
    My mate wasnt given a paper suit when he was arrested for a minor drugs offence, part of 'Operation Lantern', stupid name..instead they just pulled the cord out from his addidas trousers for the same reason as his laces were taken out of his trainers, liked he'd hang himself over beign caught with one spliff...
  • Options
    It is standard procedure to remove shoe laces and belts etc.
    The police covering their own backs, which is fair enough I suppose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    so they do feed them

Of course they feed, you, unless they decide to be ****s about it. Many of them treat people as if they are guilty, without ever being tried and so decide some peope dont deserve food. My fella was told he was disgusting and deserved to rot for his crime. A crime he didnt commit.

Prison food can actually be quite nice... the food is the same as the police get. Fry up on sunday morning in some nicks.
  • Options
    The shoelaces are a hanging hazard.

I've never been arrested, but someo fthe stories I've heard from defence solicitors I know make my blood boil. The police ARE bent, of course they are- they don't earn enough not to be. Everyone has their price, and pocketing £10,000 for turning a blind eye to a drug fir, is good business for all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    Of course they feed, you, unless they decide to be ****s about it. Many of them treat people as if they are guilty, without ever being tried and so decide some peope dont deserve food. My fella was told he was disgusting and deserved to rot for his crime. A crime he didnt commit.

Prison food can actually be quite nice... the food is the same as the police get. Fry up on sunday morning in some nicks.

yeah just someone said they only got water :)

my brother was arrested a few months back, he had horrible bruises from the handcuffs and the police had pushed and pulled him about, they obviously had the hancuffs on way to tight as i could still see the bruises and had marks all up his arm. makes me sick, he was arrested for taking a piss in the street, he had been on the piss all night and before going home had made a stop, so they picked him up and spent a night in the cells for it. he got charged with breach of the peace for taking a fucking piss! makes me so annoyed the way he was treated
  • Options
    I have friends who havent been even allowed water...

did your borther get fined?

my fella got fined £50 for spitting on the street, serves the disgusting sod right!! Its revolting!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

my brother was arrested a few months back, he had horrible bruises from the handcuffs and the police had pushed and pulled him about, they obviously had the hancuffs on way to tight as i could still see the bruises and had marks all up his arm. makes me sick, he was arrested for taking a piss in the street, he had been on the piss all night and before going home had made a stop, so they picked him up and spent a night in the cells for it. he got charged with breach of the peace for taking a fucking piss! makes me so annoyed the way he was treated

Did he put up a fight or not (that he can remember)?

Was his memory hazy at all the day after?

Pissing in a public place is an offence, but I only got a ticking off and a letter from the procurator fiscal through, I never got arrested or "pushed and pulled about".
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Did he put up a fight or not (that he can remember)?

Was his memory hazy at all the day after?

Pissing in a public place is an offence, but I only got a ticking off and a letter from the procurator fiscal through, I never got arrested or "pushed and pulled about".

i think he probably did resist, knowing him, but like i said the handcuffs were on way too tight, you shouldnt get bruises from them. it was a saturday night in glasgow so its no wonder the police picked him up for something pretty trivial
  • Options
    I saw some guy pissing up the side of a (parked) police van, they wont take likly to that. He wasnt doing that was he? :D

I've never been arrested but i have been searched in the street because "Someone who matched your desciption mugged somebody" I used to have a fluesent green rucksack cos it was kool and any fool who wears one of them whilst doing a crime deserves to be arrested and shot for being an idiot.

The other 2 times were

1) I was drunk walking home, and a car pulled up next to me, did the usual "where ya been m8 stuff" then 2 other cars pulled up full of coppers (3 cars total, about 7 cops) in their stab jacket things, bout 5 mins later they decided it wasnt me and the guy who originaly stopped me thought he would just take down my name and address for being drunk. (such a nice guy :mad: )

2) We was walking home and one of us had a massive powerfull torch thing, he shined it all over the place, police turned up and searched us all. I had an axe and a hammer in my bag (dont ask) and they let me go. :cool: (with the axe and hammer i must add.....)

Not really what you was looking for BeckyBoo, but its the best I can do.

Bopz
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    My mate wasnt given a paper suit when he was arrested for a minor drugs offence, part of 'Operation Lantern', stupid name..instead they just pulled the cord out from his addidas trousers for the same reason as his laces were taken out of his trainers, liked he'd hang himself over beign caught with one spliff...

I was given a paper sut and foam slippers because my clothes were taken as evidence. I had to walk acroos the station yard to get in the Group4 van in the rain with foam slippers and a paper suit on. :mad: I didn't get my clothes back for almost 2 years even though I was convicted after about 6 months. :mad:

Every time I've spent time in a cell I've been treated quite well. The copper's on cell duty are usually up for a good chat, they bring you food, take you to the pisser, and sometimes have taken me out for a smoke and even suppplied the fag. They're there to look after you whatever you've done and it's my experience that they do - but sometimes you have to ask and be a bit cheeky.

I remember once we got arreted at a road chef late one night after tyring to rob loads of sandwhiches and the old bill stuck us in a cell for a night. The first thing you do when you get in the station is go through a search - you hand over all you're possesions and sign for them. This night I had some hash on me but I managed to stuff it in my shoe when we were in the cozzers car. They missed the hash on the search but I started to sweat when I came to the cell and had to take my trainers off. In the end they missed it all together and my hash sat outside my cell in my trainer the whole night. :D
    Weekender Offender