Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kerry... what is hidden.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/2/10/222651.shtml
Gen. Giap: Kerry's Group Helped Hanoi Defeat U.S.

The North Vietnamese general in charge of the military campaign that finally drove the U.S. out of South Vietnam in 1975 credited a group led by Democratic presidential front-runner John Kerry with helping him achieve victory.

In his 1985 memoir about the war, Gen. Vo Nguyen Giap wrote that if it weren't for organizations like Kerry's Vietnam Veterans Against the War, Hanoi would have surrendered to the U.S. - according to Fox News Channel war historian Oliver North.

That's why, he predicted on Tuesday, the Vietnam War issue "is going to blow up in Kerry's face."

"People are going to remember Gen. Giap saying if it weren't for these guys [Kerry's group], we would have lost," North told radio host Sean Hannity.

"The Vietnam Veterans Against the War encouraged people to desert, encouraged people to mutiny - some used what they wrote to justify fragging officers," noted the former Marine lieutenant colonel, who earned two purple hearts in Vietnam.

"John Kerry has blood of American soldiers on his hands," North said.

http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnkerry.com/
Sen. Kerry, the "noble statesman" and "highly decorated Vietnam vet" of today, is a far cry from Kerry, the radical, hippie-like leader of Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW) in the early 1970s.

Soon after Kerry, as a Navy Lieutenant (junior grade) commanding a Swift boat in Vietnam, was awarded the Silver Star, he used an obscure Navy regulation to leave Vietnam and his crew before completing his tour of duty.

After returing home, he quit the Navy early and changed the color of his politics to become a leader of VVAW. Kerry wasted no time organizing opposition in the United States against the efforts of his former buddies still ducking communist bullets back in Vietnam.

Kerry participated in the so-called Winter Soldier Investigation where his fellow protesters accused his fellow GIs of war crimes.

Kerry's betrayal of American prisoners of war, his blatant disrespect for the families of our missing in action, Vietnam veterans, the military, his support for communist Vietnam and his waffling over the issue of use of force in Iraq proves he is a self promoting Chameleon Senatorwho cannot be relied on to protect the best interests of the United States.
"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton.
- (D) Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, others, Oct. 9, 1998
"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002
"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

Since you all pride yourselves upon your awareness of politics in the US, thought I would give you a taste of what does not get air time on your little island...

Doubt that Kerry's history of working FOR Hanoi will be as widely spread as the canard of his Vietnam "heroism"... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    I just love the bit in the top paragraph. "if it weren't for these guys we would have lost".
    YOU DID LOSE THE VIETNAM WAR.

jeez.
    And so what if he was opposed to the war, somebody who fought in it has every right to be.
    You yanks seem to think the Vietnam war was the be all and end all of wars, but you always convieniently forget you didn't win it.
  • Options
    And once again of course Globe shows how unquestioningly he will accept patently ideologically driven spin by his continued insistance on citing Fox News pundits as any credible source of information whatsoever.

That one man and his compadres can be accused of being responsible for our defeat is so transparently agenda laden as to be laughable to any thinking person.

To cite Fox News, which argued and won the the right to misinform and lie to the public in a Florida court, is to admit one's inability to discern truth from fabrication.

News for those who consider Jerry Springer to be the epitome of quality programming.
  • Options
    Re: Kerry... what is hidden.

Welcome back, Thanny, thought you were spending more time with your book?
    Originally posted by Globe
    North: That's why, he predicted on Tuesday, the Vietnam War issue "is going to blow up in Kerry's face."
    Yeah, 'cos interventionist wars are soooo popular right now :lol:
  • Options
    The fact that he takes the time to collect all the smear he can from mil.com and post it here shows that the Republicans are seriously starting to shit themselves about the forthcoming elections.

Like I said elsewhere Thanatos, a kid-molesting, kitten strangling, hybrid clone of Hitler and Satan would get my vote over Bush any day. I cannot think of a single person alive who would be a worse choice than that lunatic, illiterate, lying, murdering, unelected war criminal piece of shit you've got at the White House today.

And for the sake of your dead comrades- men and women who were sent to their deaths for no good reason whatsoever- you and anyone else who claims to love the military and its members would be extremely stupid to vote for the Republicans.

But then again, I'm not surprised that many will...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I cannot think of a single person alive who would be a worse choice than that lunatic, illiterate, lying, murdering, unelected war criminal piece of shit you've got at the White House today.

I think Thanatos would make a good contender for "that" post, don't you?:lol:
  • Options
    Joking aside, Vietnam vets have reached an age where they can seriously consider running for the presidency, and it's a good time to be a candidate with military experience or, more specifically, an awareness of the sense shattering horror of war. Unfortunately for the Republicans, they're stuck with Bush at the moment...

Still, in 2020, we may see President Greenhat. Yon Spec Oppy hath a lean and hungry look :D
  • Options
    "according to Fox News Channel war historian Oliver North."

Now there are two key things to point out with this.

1) Fox news! Come on, no-one should take that seriously.

2) Oliver North, that isnt who I think it is is it? THE Oliver North!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Joking aside, Vietnam vets have reached an age where they can seriously consider running for the presidency, and it's a good time to be a candidate with military experience or, more specifically, an awareness of the sense shattering horror of war. Unfortunately for the Republicans, they're stuck with Bush at the moment...

Still, in 2020, we may see President Greenhat. Yon Spec Oppy hath a lean and hungry look
    Your post has reminded me of something I've been giving some thought for a while. The US is fucking obsessed with the military; and the military has FAR TOO MUCH of an influence on everyday life.

Think of any other democratic country, be Britain or anyone else. Other than in times of war, how often do military issues or military people cross our paths? Other than towns situated near bases I don't think many people know a member of the military or even see one on the streets very often.

Yet you go to the States and there seem to be more soldiers than lamp posts in the streets. Military life is spoken about everywhere; the military is mentioned in the news every day, and not only in times of conflict.

I find the whole thing rather suffocating to be honest.
  • Options
    Welcome to Imperium Americana. ;)
  • Options
    OOH-RA! :D
  • Options
    Why do you accuse Fox News in lying? I don’t see any factual errors there.
    Kerry is Vietnam War veteran. True.
    Kerry was one of leaders of anti-war movement. True.
    Anti-war movement stoped Vietnam War. True.
    Kerry supported Iraq War. True.
    Who is lying? Nobody. If North thinks Kerry is a traitor it just reflects his personal tastes and is not bigger lie than if he said he hates ice-cream.
  • Options
    It is correct to accuse Fox of lying just as it is correct to accuse the Scum or the Mail of lying... they use the same tactics, distortions, spin and half-truths and can't be trusted to give the day of the week accurately.
  • Options
    See my above comment about the court ruling in Florida and then tell me you would give any credibility to anything that neo-con indoctrination aparatus might spew out to the public.
  • Options
    Not that I care much about Kerry's election prospects, but I like to speak out when I smell a rat and
    Soon after Kerry, as a Navy Lieutenant (junior grade) commanding a Swift boat in Vietnam, was awarded the Silver Star, he used an obscure Navy regulation to leave Vietnam and his crew before completing his tour of duty
    is a bit whiffy. Bearing in mind that our own Alastair Campbell liked to change passive verbs to active in the WMD dossier, I ask: did Kerry actually use this 'obscure navy regulation' (so obscure they can't even tell us what it was), or was it used on him? In short, what's his explanation for not completing his tour of duty? Enquiring minds...

Actually, enquiring minds might learn something from this review of 'Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War'. It's also an opinion, but as the reviewer was himself a founder of VVAW, it may have some bearing.
  • Options
    It also ignored the fact that he was awarded three Purple Hearts as well as the Silver Star.
  • Options
    Regardless of this the larger issue at work is that they want this to be yet another gadfly to divert attention away from the more important issues which our leaders don't want to account for. Just throw in innuendo, rumour, a little dash of historic revisionism and voila, you have a recipe for a fragmented society all harping on gossip column-styled morality questions and ignoring the wholesale sell out of the nation.

Its become such a playground for the military industrial complex to simply get everyone's dander up, throw in some fear and paranoia, some wounded pride and you got a steady stream of unquestioning souls ready to sign up to fight whatever enemy you claim is threatening us. Then its just a matter of yanking the nation's strings against one or another side whilst herding the "opposition" into thinking it has to beat the leadership at all cost and you've forced them to sell out to the status quo they wish to change. Finally, it's just a matter of packaging a few cosmetic changes here and there whilst keeping your machinery running and the dollars flowing the arms-a-shipping and the tensions fermenting for future wars where you can plunder as you wish.

Round and round it goes always coming back to the same scandals, the same lies, the same invasions, the same collusions, the same betrayals, etc...

Without a comprehensive progressive awakening we can expect more of the same to come. I couldn't care less about Kerry's war record pro or con, Im not electing an officer nor a soldier, Im electing a civilian president and i want to know what his policy and voting record is and whom he is beholden to. If the corporations and the big money, then what benefit the nation from his presidency any more than Dubyah's, aside from less direct warfare. A sell out is a sell out and one or the other makes no difference.

That's why you don't hear the media giving much time to Dean anymore. He's the second highest candidate in terms of numbers of delegates with Clark out and Lieberman and Braun out and Edwards still behind Dean by a considerable distance.

Dean for his failings at least has a spark of change in him, though given the way the system is anything too drastic in change would likely cause an early retirement of said President (if you catch my drift) so even Dean wouldn't be able to necessarily do more than make a start. but it has to start somewhere, sometime.

The media simply are Manufacturing Consent in their inimitable style and by writing dean off they already cause a large percentage of those who don't make much effort to look into matters for themselves to write him off as well thinking that only the contender could get so much attention. Strangely Dean still is able to raise more money than Kerry and Kerry has a spending cap so what he gets from the news is like giving free publicity which is itself transparently manipulative and dishonest and actually quite anti-democratic (no pun intended). But that's our electoral system. Voyeuristic, easily distracted by non-issues, and highly susceptible to media influence (whether by ommission or commission).

And that bug is infecting Britain the closer Tony nuzzles up to his master.
  • Options
    John Kerry in Doonesberry, 1971.

October 21, 1971
    db711021.gif

db711022.gif
  • Options
    The fact that people change their opinions doesn’t mean they are hypocrites. It’s possible of course but there are three other options.
    1.) They get smarter.
    2.) They get sillier.
    3.) They get politicians.
  • Options
    I think if anything Kerry has more right than anyone to denounce the war in the first place, certainly more right than Bush who got his daddy to make him an air national guard.
  • Options
    Once again I argue that this is a non-issue. A diversionary tactic that has no bearing on the present day issues facing the nation.
  • Options
    db040213.gif
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

YOU DID LOSE THE VIETNAM WAR.
    Born: 1912
    Place of Birth: An Xa, Vietnam
    Military University: none
    Wars Fought:
    -World War II
    -First Indochina War(French-Indochina War 1946-1954)
    -Second Indochina War(Vietnam War 1965-1972)
    -Third Indochina War 1979-81
    Vietnam War:
    Gen. Giap planned and directed the military operations against the French that culminated in their defeat at the Battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1954. During the 1960's Giap controlled guerrilla operations against South Vietnam and the United States and planned the Tet Offensive of 1968.

In his book, Giap clearly indicated that NVA troops were without sufficient supplies, and had been continually defeated time and again.

By 1968, NVA morale was at it's lowest point ever. The plans for "Tet" '68 was their last desperate attempt to achieve a success, in an effort to boost the NVA morale. When it was over, General Giap and the NVA viewed the Tet '68 offensive as a failure, they were on their knees and had prepared to negotiate a surrender.

At that time, there were fewer than 10,000 U.S. casualties, the Vietnam War was about to end, as the NVA was prepared to accept their defeat. Then, they heard Walter Cronkite (former CBS News anchor and correspondent) on TV proclaiming the success of the Tet '68 offensive by the communist NVA. They were completely and totally amazed at hearing that the US Embassy had been overrun. In reality, The NVA had not gained access to the Embassy--there were some VC who had been killed on the grassy lawn, but they hadn't gained access. Further reports indicated the riots and protesting on the streets of America.

According to Giap, these distorted reports were inspirational to the NVA. They changed their plans from a negotiated surrender and decided instead, they only needed to persevere for one more hour, day, week, month, eventually the protesters in American would help them to achieve a victory they knew they could not win on the battlefield. Remember, this decision was made at a time when the U.S. casualties were fewer than 10,000, at the end of 1967, beginning of 1968.

The Wall Street Journal published an interview with Bui Tin who served on the General Staff of the North Vietnam Army and received the unconditional surrender of South Vietnam on April 30, 1975. During the interview Mr. Tin was asked if the American antiwar movement was important to Hanoi's victory. Mr. Tin responded "It was essential to our strategy", referring to the war being fought on two fronts, the Vietnam battlefield and back home in America through the antiwar movement on college campuses and in the city streets. He further stated the North Vietnamese leadership listened to the American evening news broadcasts "to follow the growth of the American antiwar movement." Visits to Hanoi made by persons such as Jane Fonda, former Attorney General Ramsey Clark and various church ministers "gave us confidence that we should hold on in the face of battlefield reverses." Mr. Tin surmised, "America lost because of its democracy; through dissent and protest it lost the ability to mobilize a will to win." Mr. Tin further advised that General Vo Nguyen Giap (Commanding General of the North Vietnam Army) had advised him the 1968 Tet Offensive had been a defeat.

Once again, you remain in denial of reality.

The Vietnam War was not "lost" by US forces; it was betrayed and given away by those such as Kerry, and even the Vietnamese admit it...
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    It also ignored the fact that he was awarded three Purple Hearts as well as the Silver Star.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/2/15/142343.shtml
    Kerry Denounced U.S. as 'The Real Criminal' in Vietnam

During his war protest days in the early 1970s, Democratic presidential front-runner John Kerry once denounced the United States of America as "the real criminal" in the Vietnam War.

In comments first reported by the New York Times 33 years ago, Kerry condemned the entire country as "criminal" during a 1971 demonstration on Wall Street, a few weeks after the trial of Lt. William Calley.

"Guilty as Lieutenant Calley may have been of the actual act of murder, the verdict does not single out the real criminal ... the United States of America," railed the future Democratic presidential hopeful.

The damning comment was unearthed by the Baltimore Sun, which reprinted Kerry's outburst in its Saturday edition exactly as quoted above.

The Sun also revisited other anti-war comments by Kerry that have yet to receive significant exposure, including remarks Kerry uttered on NBC's "Meet the Press" a few weeks after the Wall Street protest.

"I committed the same kinds of atrocities as thousands of others," he told the network, "in that I shot in free-fire zones, fired .50-caliber machine bullets, used harass-and-interdiction fire, joined in search-and-destroy missions and burned villages."

Though NBC has the Kerry interview on tape, it has so far declined to broadcast his revealing comments.

The Sun also obtained reactions from two of Kerry's Swift Boat mates in Vietnam, who told the paper they were deeply disturbed by his anti-war activities.

Kerry crewman James Wasser said he was "absolutely upset" over his former commanding officer's claims that the U.S. committed wartime atrocities as a matter of course.

Saying he recalled no such war crimes, Wasser said of Kerry, "I felt betrayed."

Shipmate Bill Zaladonis was also offended by Kerry's claims. "I didn't like the idea [of Kerry condemning his fellow servicemen]," he told the Sun.

"I certainly didn't believe that all Vietnam veterans were baby-killing women rapers. Most people I know agree with me - they didn't see it."

While Wasser and Zaladonis remain troubled by Kerry's anti-war past, they're split over whether they intend to support him for president.

"I'm still studying it," Zaldonis told the Sun, while Wasser occasionally campaigns for the Massachusetts Democrat.

Kerry was incountry for 45 days. He benefitted from manufactured commendations, because of his political affiliations. He was given a wave and sent home from Vietnam with the three Purple Hearts awarded for scratches that he did not even miss time for.

And his Silver Star? Was awarded for terminating an enemy wounded by .50 caliber heavy machine gun fire, shooting him in the back, as he attempted to crawl away.

All of your collective whining about "war atrocity" over the video clip from Baghdad? And you give this a pass, because the political parasite espouses liberalist bullshit?

Classic... :rolleyes:
  • Options

Kerry was incountry for 45 days. He benefitted from manufactured commendations, because of his political affiliations. He was given a wave and sent home from Vietnam with the three Purple Hearts awarded for scratches that he did not even miss time for.

And his Silver Star? Was awarded for terminating an enemy wounded by .50 caliber heavy machine gun fire, shooting him in the back, as he attempted to crawl away.

All of your collective whining about "war atrocity" over the video clip from Baghdad? And you give this a pass, because the political parasite espouses liberalist bullshit?

Three Purple Hearts and Early Discharge for John Kerry, The Walking wounded

The "Thrice Wounded" rule applied the entire Dept of Navy including the USMC.

The main reasoning (true!) was if you survived getting hit 3 times - the odds of surviving another were extremely thin!

I got out of VN after 11 months on the 3 PH rule. I walked out - but it did take a couple of years to fully recover from all the "minor wounds". None were any that I would "brag" about.

So - I cannot fault Kerry from getting the hell out of that ungrateful country for trying to do the impossible for a home that hated your guts just because you were in the military.

Thank you DNC - johnson - clinton - and the rest of you commie cowards - especially jimmy carter for granting clememncy to the future (then) coward-in-chief.

Kerry still deserves derision for turning socialist/communist - he was NOT against the war - it was HIS side that was causing it.

4 posted on 02/05/2004 6:33:34 AM PST by steplock
    I don't recall 'whining' about the video clip... oh, wait, that's because I said the obvious editing of it made it impossible to reach a conclusion.

And 'scratches that he did not even miss time for'? Even his critics don't dispute that he missed two days for one of them. Of course, that doesn't begin to compare to Dubya's record for missed days...

Having said that, I have no doubt that medals were handed out like candy during 'Nam. Always looks good for the news reels. That Purple Hearts were awarded for flesh wounds? Really doesn't surprise me at all. I'm sure Republicans got their fair share, though.
  • Options
    Clan, sure, it's a distraction. But as we weren't really talking that much about Kerry before this thread started, it's a funny kind of distraction, and nine months before the election, so there's plenty of time to hash things out :)
  • Options

The Vietnam War was not "lost" by US forces; it was betrayed and given away by those such as Kerry, and even the Vietnamese admit it...
    Exactly true!
    America didn’t lose Vietnam War, it won it! Because of anti-war guys like Kerry. How many scientists, plumbers, businessmen, cabbies, real estate agents, waters, fitters, architects lie on Florida beaches instead of lying in Vietnam jungle. How many potential orphans have dads, haw many potential widows have husbands..
    On the other hand how many medals weren’t hand, how many colonels weren’t get generals, how many funeral workers lost their job…horror!
  • Options

'Benefitted from manufactured commendations,because of political affiliations'. Not the only one there then, can I draw your attention to the quote from Colin Powell about the sons of the privileged that managed to avoid service. Its been posted on mil.com a few times recently so I'm sure you've seen it.

As for the purple hearts, well you've confirmed what I've posted, the version of the circumstances surrounding them that you posted is something, I'm reading for the first time. I am aware of the controversy that was caused by cases of medals being handed out without merit and body counts falsified but is there confirmed proof that Kerry only got 'scratches', the American press seemed to be making a big issue of the fact that he had been a hero and rescued a colleague under fire while wounded.

As for 'collective whining' never saw the video so I am not whining over anything and you are the first to go into detail here about Kerry's war record so you can hardly say we are ignoring something before you've informed us.

BTW, out of interest, were you in Vietnam? and what branch of the military are/were you in? I'm guessing the marines by your name.

Also, feel free to add comments to my thread 'Question for the Americans on here', I would like to get views from people of different political persuasions.
  • Options
    Once again, you remain in denial of reality.

Thousands of your troops dead, and you withdraw realising you can't win without resorting to nuclear weapons.
    That's called losing you deadbeat.
  • Options
    Wonder who the Soviet John Kerry was, who helped to lose the war in Afghanistan for the USSR? ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Thousands of your troops dead, and you withdraw realising you can't win without resorting to nuclear weapons.
    That's called losing you deadbeat.

58,000 combatants, compared to anywhere from 1.5 million to 4 million NVA and VC combatants, depending upon which Vietnamese source you prefer.

Continue to prefer your DELUSIONS and accept the lies you regurgitate, rather than the words of the NVn leaders, themselves?
    According to Giap, these distorted reports were inspirational to the NVA. They changed their plans from a negotiated surrender and decided instead, they only needed to persevere for one more hour, day, week, month, eventually the protesters in American would help them to achieve a victory they knew they could not win on the battlefield.

Or do you prefer to ignore exactly who Gen Giap actually was? :rolleyes: Your ignorance truly is bliss, is it not?

We did not require nuclear weapons... we defeated them militarily WITHOUT such, and did it handicapped by a mission statement preventing us from prosecuting the war properly, AS A WAR. We did not use "nuclear weapons" at Khe Sanh, where 5600 Marines stood off and defeated 100,000 NVA. Nor did we require them at Hue, Con Thien, or any other battle where they outnumbered us 10 to 1.

We did not require "nuclear weapons" in Quang Tri, where we forced the NVA invasion BACK across the DMZ, and all the way to the Paris Peace tables, to sign an accord, rather than to be extinguished from the face of the earth. Prefer to avoid the knowledge of what REALLY transpired, in that era? Prefer to remain ignorant of what was within those Paris accords?

"Deadbeat"? :lol: It was the proliferation of cowardly little wanker-boys such as yourself, during that time, that caused the politicians to betray their commitment, and allow SVn to fall to the subsequent NVA invasion, two years later.

No... it is YOU who are the fool, refusing to accept that it was the SVn government and ARVN who "lost", after the withdrawal BY THE STRICTURES OF THE PARIS PEACE ACCORD, in the absense of continued US support.

"Deadbeat"? The appelation is more fittingly applied to willfully delusional YOU. You believe if you repeat the same lies often enough, you might make them become truth... :lol: