Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

To the people that hate the Daily Mail

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    of course its the drivers fault, but its also.. more importantly, the fault of our government.

Who can blame false asylum seekers, illegal immigrants coming here? I cant they get a free ride.. its not their fault that they come to this country, Its understandable. Its our fault for being so bloody stupid with the rules and organisation of it all.
  • Options
    It may not apply accross the board, but yes, thats basically it Minxy.

The Mirror has a reading age of 11. That says it all I think.
  • Options
    Certainly, I was totally wrong, you can make judgements based on one example.

All asylum seekers are evil, I cant see how I could have been so wrong.
  • Options
    I know when i was at that age i was readiung copies of my nans Mirror and The Sun
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Certainly, I was totally wrong, you can make judgements based on one example.

All asylum seekers are evil, I cant see how I could have been so wrong.

When have I ever said all asylum seekers are evil?
    They are not, you know. Just most of them.
  • Options
    And your basis for making that claim is...... ?!!!

So ignorant
  • Options
    Originally posted by Makaveli UK
    When have I ever said all asylum seekers are evil?
    They are not, you know. Just most of them.
    As racist trolls go, you're one of the most pathetic ones yet to grace these boards.

Keep up the good work. :lol:
  • Options
    "Keep up the good work."

:) Thanks
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Be careful about how you express some of your views about race issues Makaveli, I can tell you now you are heading for a banning........
  • Options
    Makaveli, are you going to enlighten us on why most immigrants are evil?
  • Options
    No false asylum seekers means less things like this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3474847.stm.
    Page Not Found.
    This might be because you typed the web address incorrectly. Please check the address and spelling ensuring that it does not contain capital letters or spaces

I can see the Daily Mail headline now - "ASYLUM SEEKERS STEAL OUR INTERWEB!" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Political correctnes

What ever happend to free speech?
    So am I a rasict now am I?
    Do I hate balck people?
    Nope.
    I'm talking to one now. (My dad)
    Do I hate asylum seekers?
    When have I ever said that?
    Does this make me a rasict?
    Hmmm, it must do:rolleyes:
  • Options
    People may think you are racist based on your claim that most asylum seekers are evil....

Seems very prejudiced and unimformed to me
  • Options
    Re: Political correctnes
    What ever happend to free speech?
    So am I a rasict now am I?
    Do I hate balck people?
    Nope.
    I'm talking to one now. (My dad)
    Do I hate asylum seekers?
    When have I ever said that?
    Does this make me a rasict?
    Hmmm, it must do:rolleyes:

You're being a troll (and not a very good one), thats for sure.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Don't get me started Makaveli. It's not overly PC to expect that our users don't make sweeping generalizations about people based on unfounded beliefs. If you have verifiable proof and specifics then go for your life..........
  • Options
    Quite a few people bitch on about Free Speach on here, does it mention that in the rules, I think not. You can always leave if you dont like the way the place is run.

As to the case you are refering, yes it was indeed tragic, and yes, they probably recieved a sentance that was too short. But it really doesnt have anything to do with his immigration status at all, the court decided not to charge him with manslaughter.
  • Options
    Just occured to me... my friend came over illegally as a child from Sri Lanka. Lived here illegally for years until various things happened. He is now legally entitled to be here. And you know what, he has his faults just like EVERYBODY but he is a bloody decent guy, volunteers in charity shops, helps the community through various ways and is an amazing friend, works and contributes to the country through taxes.. Just like his family.

edited for dodgy spelling mistake!
  • Options
    As to the case you are refering, yes it was indeed tragic, and yes, they probably recieved a sentance that was too short. But it really doesnt have anything to do with his immigration status at all, the court decided not to charge him with manslaughter.
    ^It shows what a terrible state our legal system is in then doesint it?
  • Options
    Yes it does, but what it doesnt show is that immigrants are evil.
  • Options
    It doesnt really show anything, apart from this case was tragic.

You can not make judgements on one example. It makes no difference how bad or good that example is.
  • Options
    i wont explain why i said that... you know how much i think the legal system/governemt is a shambles.. :p and im sure it was aimed mroe towards makaveli anyway..

Im particuarly offended because my family are immigrants. Not illegal, fair enough, some came seeking asylum in the war, others came to escape the racist legal system of South Africa.. were brilliant people ;)
  • Options
    The Mirror has a reading age of 11. That says it all I think.

The average reading age in the UK is ten. They actually target their use of language according to the national average, you shouldn't condemn them for that.

You should, however, condemn those newspapers with more in depth analysis of news for not doing the same.

Thr problem with the tabloids isn't the language used, but the content...

@ Makaveli UK (is this supposed to be "Machiavelli"?) - there is no free speach on bulletin board. You should have read the terms when you signed up to these boards. Didn't you notice that we have moderators here?
  • Options
    MoK; Fair enough, that does make sense but just because they use small words does not mean they have to show everything as black and white.

It is their simplification of the news I dont like, but then I guess they do respond to the readership too. I refer back to my 'Democracy...I dont trust the public' thread.
  • Options
    "who gives a shit about popularity?"
    People trying to make a decent argument like me.
    Popularity in the Mail reflects peoples opinion on immagration and other things they are for/against.

I thought the debate was about why people dislike the Mail, not as to whether it is popular. The point I'm making is that something doesn't have to be decent, well written or politically sound to be popular.

"If people wish to read it then goody for them."
    If people don't wish to read it then goody for them.

Well then why start a debate about why people dislike it if you don't care?
    Makaveli, are you going to enlighten us on why most immigrants are evil?

Perhaps that was said jokingly, but if you really believe it then back it up and maybe try to explain what evil is.

I don't read the Mail as it doesn't represent my views and I want to read something in favour of what I believe, being very left wing myself in most cases.
  • Options
    tut tut makaveli ! haven't you learned the rules yet? you are not allowed to criticise minorities of any kind, otherwise you will be told off, or banned. freedom of speech doesnt exist here, so there's no honest debate. i was disgusted at the way that asylum seeker had his sentence cut, but this happens right across the criminal justice system so its no suprise. it doesnt exactly send out a good message to other people trying to get into this country though, does it? come to britain, not only can you claim handouts, you can flout our laws too! marvellous.
  • Options
    Oh dear Major Tom. Do we have to go through all this bullshit again? Do you have a memory problem or something?

Look, its perfectly simple - CRITICISING PEOPLE OR SPECIFIC SITUATIONS IS FINE. EXTRAPOLATING FROM THESE TO AN ENTIRE GROUP OF PEOPLE IS NOT. ITS BIGOTRY.

GOT IT?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    its true the daily mail does use emotive language, especially with regard to asylum seekers, but its ridiculous to say they have a racist agenda, they're just trying to sell papers. it's all relative; i read the telegraph for news, and the mail for a laugh, but i think the sun is beneath contempt. the irony is, they're by the same people! on another note, i think people are justified in their concern about the possible influx of roma gypsies, do you honestly think these eastern european countries are going to send us their doctors and scientists? no , me neither. look what castro did when jimmy carter permitted cuban immigration- he emptied the jails.
  • Options
    Look what happened with Hong Kong - nothing and remember the Spain/Portugal fears when they entered the EU?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Major Tom
    its true the daily mail does use emotive language, especially with regard to asylum seekers, but its ridiculous to say they have a racist agenda,

No, I think its perfectly reasonable to say that. Just look at the rhetoric used. Couple that with their history and its perfectly reasonable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Look what happened with Hong Kong - nothing and remember the Spain/Portugal fears when they entered the EU?

Exactly. Its scaremongering nonsense.