Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

To the people that hate the Daily Mail

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Strictly for the people who are not fans of the Daily Mail I'de like to ask why it is you detest this rather populer newspaper so much.
Calling it The "Daily Hate Mail" is quite simply unfair and ignorent.
I started reading it around three years ago and I have seen nothing but fair and well written articles from decent respectable British people.
I recall someone calling it pro Nazi in another thread. If it was then do you think it would be the countrys third best selling newspaper?
Thought not.
Have you ever actuly read it?
Thought not.
They do not tell lies at all, if they state incorrect facts they make apoligies.
Anyway, there you go.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    Yes I read it sometimes. Why do I hate it? Because it has a long history of supporting fascism and currently promotes nasty racist myths.
  • Options
    and currently promotes nasty racist myths.

It highlights the anxieties of many people but sadly not not Peter Pan style urbanites for whom such opinions are beyond the pale
  • Options
    No, it spreads racist lies. Admittedly, the government hasn't handled the asylum issue very sensitively, but the right wing tabloids don't help with their outright lies and inflammatory rhetoric.
    I think you might benefit from reading this
    http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/news/myths/myth001.htm
  • Options
    Re: To the people that hate the Daily Mail
    Originally posted by Makaveli UK
    I recall someone calling it pro Nazi in another thread. If it was then do you think it would be the countrys third best selling newspaper?

Well the BNP are the 5th most popular political party. So it fits together in my opinion.

I just don't like it because I find it impartial. It always has an agenda to push, well like most tabloids, rather than just reporting the news like broadsheets.
  • Options
    Re: Re: To the people that hate the Daily Mail
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    just don't like it because I find it impartial.

Don't you mean its not impartial? :confused:

All newspapers have an agenda to push. But the broadsheets tend to tell less outright lies.
  • Options
    I hate it because it seems to hate anybody thats *not* white and atleast middle class. I hate having to sell the thing, but it seems to be the most popular paper round here :|
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I hate it because it seems to hate anybody thats white and atleast middle class.

:confused::confused:

Do you mean it hates anybody who isn't "white and atleast middle class"?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I hate it because it seems to hate anybody thats white and atleast middle class. I hate having to sell the thing, but it seems to be the most popular paper round here :|

^I think you have the wrong paper there, the Mail is mainly bought buy the white middle class.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    :confused::confused:

Do you mean it hates anybody who isn't "white and atleast middle class"?

whoops....yes.

*runs to change it*

You know what i mean

Its a disgusting paper.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: To the people that hate the Daily Mail
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Don't you mean its not impartial? :confused:

All newspapers have an agenda to push. But the broadsheets tend to tell less outright lies.

Yes. My mind is elsewhere.

I have never read the Times and thought that were taking a side. I see it as them reporting it. However I may be naive, and some people may think the same of the Sun. *shudders*

And why all the celebrity news? Aren't there magazines for that shite?
  • Options
    Well the BNP are the 5th most popular political party

Jesus fucking Christ, you make all White British people sound like white, racist, imperialist thugs. Just leave if you hate it here so much.

The BNP only got about 20,000 votes at the last election.

seems to hate anybody thats *not* white and atleast middle class

That is a load of rubbish, it that were so it wouldnt sel any copies.

Honestly, you make it seem like Aparthetid in Britain. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Just leave if you hate it here so much.

Who said that they hate it in Britain? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    The refugeecouncil can't even be bothered updating their site from dec 02 on their myths section.

If there was a straight line of fascist support by the Mail from mosley to now there would be support for the BNP which there isn't

plus the title 'Murderers' in relation to the Lawrence suspects, racist press, hardly (coincidence Lawrence Snr working in Dacre's house, doncha think. Fate or State?)
  • Options
    Re: To the people that hate the Daily Mail
    Strictly for the people who are not fans of the Daily Mail I'de like to ask why it is you detest this rather populer newspaper so much.

Why? I don't detest it but I certainly don't like it. It's a tory paper simple as and doesn't support my own views and interests. If people wish to read it then goody for them.

And who gives a shit about popularity?
    I started reading it around three years ago and I have seen nothing but fair and well written articles from decent respectable British people.

In your opinion maybe fair. To be honest I can't recall ever reading a newspaper that isn't biased in some way, or a personal account or documentation of an event. And whether it's fair or not is open to personal interpretation.

Again, popularity does not mean quality, it simply means a lot of people buy it. Oh and because it has good free gifts sometimes.
    Have you ever actuly read it?
    Thought not.

Yup, me Mam used to get it.
  • Options
    "who gives a shit about popularity?"
    People trying to make a decent argument like me.
    Popularity in the Mail reflects peoples opinion on immagration and other things they are for/against.
    "If people wish to read it then goody for them."
    If people don't wish to read it then goody for them.
    "I hate it because it seems to hate anybody thats *not* white and atleast middle class."
    It has asian and black wirters, look in todays and you will see there Picture and names.Ha.
  • Options
    I dont really hate it, I cant really bring myself to such a state about it really. I do dislike it though.

I think my dislike stems from the fact that it panders to the worst in people, it makes issues out of things that arent really as important as people think they are.

Crime is a good example of this, the UK's crime rate has been coming down and we are now safer than we have been in years. The public opinion however is wildly different from that because of papers like The Mail and The Sun.

Immigration is the same, yes the system isnt exactly great, but there are NOT floods, tides, waves, infestations or whatever of people. The use of words really reflects their view, a 'flood' for example, thats a very emotive term.

I dont really think that the editors of The Sun, Mail etc. are even really racist, they are just pandering to the lowest common demominator to sell papers and that grates with me.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    The refugeecouncil can't even be bothered updating their site from dec 02 on their myths section.

Perhaps that is because the same myths are regurgitated again and again and perpetuated through the press.
  • Options
    "Crime is a good example of this, the UK's crime rate has been coming down and we are now safer than we have been in years. The public opinion however is wildly different from that because of papers like The Mail and The Sun."
    Yeah maybe around the £500,000 house you live in.
    Your out of touch with this country my friend.
    "Immigration is the same, yes the system isnt exactly great, but there are NOT floods, tides, waves, infestations or whatever of people. The use of words really reflects their view, a 'flood' for example, thats a very emotive term."
    That ARE floods, tides, waves, infestations of asylum seekers in this country or making there way to here. More or less all who are turned down stay here.
    If they are genuine let them stay, if there not they should be tossed in the ocean and made to swim back.
  • Options
    i hate it because....

just look at this weeks front covers, so far theyve included

"the flood of gypsies" and that nutter islamic guy with a hook (if he really is one) on the front cover saying "he'll cost us £7million"

now not exactly impartial is it...
  • Options
    RE: Why do people hate the Daily Mail

Mmm... let me think.

Homophobic, xenophobic, anti-semite, fascist, racist, ultra right wing, Christian fundamentalist piece of fucking shite...

Supporter of murdering tyrants throughout its history from Franco to Hitler to Pinochet...

Evil manipulator of facts and figures to push its ultra right wing religious fundamentalist agenda (recent examples include its "Abortion gives you breast cancer" headline or its disgusting homophobic smear campaign against Brian Paddick and pretty much every other homosexual public figure)...

Relentless basher of anyone who doesn't fit its Christian Family profile (same sex partners and- horror of horrors!- single mothers beware)...

The pinnacle of hypocrisy for pretending to be a caring, Christian newspaper while being a sworn enemy of the very core value of Christianity (to help others) by its visceral hate of taxes and asylum seekers.

And a generally useless, worthless rag that believes in the Bible Code, crop circles, astrology and assorted bullshit.

Perhaps I should reverse the question Makaveli: Why don't you hate that vile piece of shite? How could you not?
  • Options
    Yeah, my huge house. Do you know anything about me what so ever?
    The answer to that is plainly NO. Please dont call me your friend, I dont know you and with each of your posts I'm getting the impression I dont want to know you.

If you look at the figures New Labour has brought down the level of crime in the UK, its as simple as that.
  • Options

Mayeb you should also peruse this
    http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/infocentre/index.htm
    If there was a straight line of fascist support by the Mail from mosley to now there would be support for the BNP which there isn't

I wouldn't be too sure about that.
    plus the title 'Murderers' in relation to the Lawrence suspects, racist press, hardly (coincidence Lawrence Snr working in Dacre's house, doncha think. Fate or State?)

They are racist when it comes to aslum seekers.
  • Options
    Re: RE: Why do people hate the Daily Mail
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Mmm... let me think.

Homophobic, xenophobic, anti-semite, fascist, racist, ultra right wing, Christian fundamentalist piece of fucking shite...

Supporter of murdering tyrants throughout its history from Franco to Hitler to Pinochet...

Evil manipulator of facts and figures to push its ultra right wing religious fundamentalist agenda (recent examples include its "Abortion gives you breast cancer" headline or its disgusting homophobic smear campaign against Brian Paddick and pretty much every other homosexual public figure)...

Relentless basher of anyone who doesn't fit its Christian Family profile (same sex partners and- horror of horrors!- single mothers beware)...
    The pinnacle of hypocrisy for pretending to be a caring, Christian newspaper while being a sworn enemy of the very core value of Christianity (to help others) by its visceral hate of taxes and asylum seekers.

And a generally useless, worthless rag that believes in the Bible Code, crop circles, astrology and assorted bullshit.

Perhaps I should reverse the question Makaveli: Why don't you hate that vile piece of shite? How could you not?

"Evil manipulator of facts and figures to push its ultra right wing religious fundamentalist agenda (recent examples include its "Abortion gives you breast cancer""

Or worse: "Abortion kills babys" :D
    I actuly enjoyed reading your post, I'm sure others did too.

:yes:

I get what you mean though about the Mail supporting Hitler, and I admit to not buying it when I read the headlines "HITLER WAS A GREAT PERSON" last tuesday.

I also hate the way the mail supported Saddam.
    Shameful:rolleyes:
  • Options
    "Crime is a good example of this, the UK's crime rate has been coming down and we are now safer than we have been in years. The public opinion however is wildly different from that because of papers like The Mail and The Sun."
    Yeah maybe around the £500,000 house you live in.
    Your out of touch with this country my friend.

I live in a rented flat in Brixton. Hardly poshville. Most people I talk to have no problem with asylum seekers.
    That ARE floods, tides, waves, infestations of asylum seekers in this country or making there way to here. More or less all who are turned down stay here.

No there aren't. Don't believe the hype. Look at some facts.
    If they are genuine let them stay, if there not they should be tossed in the ocean and made to swim back.

Ahhh, compassion. Nice. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: RE: Why do people hate the Daily Mail
    "Evil manipulator of facts and figures to push its ultra right wing religious fundamentalist agenda (recent examples include its "Abortion gives you breast cancer""

Or worse: "Abortion kills babys" :D
    I actuly enjoyed reading your post, I'm sure others did too.

:yes:

I get what you mean though about the Mail supporting Hitler, and I admit to not buying it when I read the headlines "HITLER WAS A GREAT PERSON" last tuesday.

I also hate the way the mail supported Saddam.
    Shameful:rolleyes:
    Well you asked why people hate the Mail... I gave you a straight answer.

The 'abortion gives you breast cancer' headline is very real I'm afraid (the exact words being to the tune of "Abortion link to breast cancer", and continued for 2 or 3 thousand words in what amounted to a load of unadulterated bullshit), and won the BlackMail a monumental bollocking from the Medical General Council and the Press Complaints Commission. Don't laugh so lightly about it. I'm sure the victim of a rape who gets pregnant by her rapist would not find such misinformation and biased lies very funny.

As for the Mail's historical and well documented support of the Nazis in Germany and the fascists in Spain (not to mention its recent campaign to 'free Pinochet'), well that's another issue which many people will not find funny. You appear to be a person who don't care for current affairs or politics. If you read the Mail because it entertains you that's fine by me, but don't ask others to tolerate its racist, sexist, homophobic agenda.
  • Options
    that is your opinion, I have mine.
    You have yours.
    But I'm still right.icon14.gif
  • Options
    to be honest, the political direction the paper comes from doesnt bother me too much, i like to think, like everybody else that im intelligent enough to come to my own decisions and take on board or ignore the point of view the paper tries to portrays, i can see the holes in their arguments for myself. I must admit the emotive language in tabloids - The sun in particular does annoy me. I begun reading the Guardian and the Observer to help me with my studies. Far more interesting and informed reading. The way i see it, The Daily Mail is like a pulp fiction novel, broadsheets are more like the classics. Im not saying one is better than teh other, it depends on the reasons for reading and the taste of the reader.

Makaveli.. every body's OPINION is right, opinions are something that you can never say is wrong. Fact, on the other hand that is different...
  • Options
    As harsh as it sounds though a lot of people cant understand, or more often dont want to understand the real issues.

They want to be told its all the fault of asylum seakers, or such like. It makes life easier to digest when you have a scapegoat to blame.
  • Options
    Im going to be very stereotypical here, very judgemental and very politically incorrect here... But just pointing out some other viewpoints (not necessarily my own)

Many, many sociologists would argue that working class ignorance and values leads to The Daily Mail and The Sun being read. Middle class values regarding a thirst for learning, thinking more deeply etc lead to The Independent etc being read.. Its been said many a time that ignorant working classes (i myself come from a WC background) are attracted to 'less intelligent' newspapers because its easier to understand.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    As harsh as it sounds though a lot of people cant understand, or more often dont want to understand the real issues.

They want to be told its all the fault of asylum seakers, or such like. It makes life easier to digest when you have a scapegoat to blame.
    Oh and of cause there all inocent we've know one to blame but ourselvs:rolleyes:
    No false asylum seekers means less things like this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3474847.stm.
    If they had done a better job sending him back to where he came from this sweet young child would still be alive.
    No dout you will reply to this saying how it was the kids fault not the guy driving, or how its only right to cut his sentence, or how he has rights too:rolleyes:
    Some people eh?
    Edit:
    tejytuj