Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dieting...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone give me some tips.

i have started to cut carbohydrates and fatty foods out of my diet.

i'm drinking lots and only eating fruit,

Is there anything else i can do to help speed up the process of weight loss. also how do you lose it from certain areas of the body, eg legs..and stomach???

is there anyway i can do to stop me feeling hungry or will i have to put up with it.

Today i have had.

bout 5peices off a fruit salard and a few polos and drink..i prob wont eat dinner tonight unless its low carb or low fat.

is there anything else i can do. i will be starting to excersice alot more but the sports i enjoy i cant do due to them being contact sports :(.

any advice please.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Dieting...
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz

is there anyway i can do to stop me feeling hungry or will i have to put up with it.

YES! Eat food and drink water. Do excercise, specially those that concentrate on the areas you want to tone up. Slow weight loss is better than rapid.

You shouldn't feel hungry all the time.
  • Options
    The high protien aspect of the Atkins diet does work in making you fuller than with carbs. So things like fish are especially good because they are better for you than the red meats.

However cutting out carbs completely has got to be a bad idea, especially for breakfast when you need the energy to get going.

So I would suggest that you attempt to cut carbs out of your dinner menu and crank up the exercise. Remember NO diet will ever work if your not enjoying it, you'll break it and get no-where.
  • Options
    someone of your age should be very careful about dieting.

eat less, but do eat, and eat a balanced diet. some carbs, loads of protein, some fat. even when you're dieting, you still need 1500 - 1800 calories a day, depending on how active you are.

you'll find, if you restrict your diet when you're still growing, that you're setting yourself up for health problems when you're older, cause you haven't grown properly.

and it's not hard to exercise more. just going for a brisk walk once a day, or climbing up the stairs a few times, will noticeably affect you in a few weeks.
  • Options
    If he's a growing lad, he should really be having more than1500 calories shouldnt he? I thought it was about 2500 for a normal bloke.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    If he's a growing lad, he should really be having more than1500 calories shouldnt he? I thought it was about 2500 for a normal bloke.

yeah. even on a diet he should be getting at least 1800. more if he's very active.

2500 is to maintain a weight for a normal, active adult bloke.
  • Options
    cutting down drastically on your food will not help because all you will be doing is losing water. your body will be clinging on to every bit of food you eat. if you're constantly feeling hungry then you'll end up cracking and just eating loads and that just leads to yoyo dieting which don't show results.

what you need to be doing, especially a growing boy like yourself, is to eat healthily. eat more fish, chicken, vegetables, wholemeal bread, fruit. cut out sugary foods like biscuits, sweets, crisps, fizzy drinks although there is nothing wrong with treating yourself.

get active by going for a jog, swimming. if you take the bus to school, the walk instead-but briskly. anything that increases your heartbeat and makes you warm is good.

you shouldn't need to diet if you lead a healthy and active lifestyle. you don't need to go overboard, just make some improvements.
  • Options
    just eat a balanced diet.
    i stay skinny cos i cant digest carbs or fats properly (its a medical thing), it sucks though because i feel always tired and so i cant do much excersize without wanting to die. just eat lots of salad with pasta and lots of fresh fish as someone already said.
    but most importantly, don't just not eat, you'll end up ill and have no energy at all and get moody and depressed, happens to everyone if they dont.
    why not try cutting out squash drinks and sweets? much healthier
  • Options
    thanks im not starving just only one meal aday,

I eat alot of fish as it is. i cant eat alot while at school (not a healthy choice of food at school) so i don't eat at school.

thanks for your advice..i walked about 5-6miles to find a motobike today so thats quite a bit of excercise
  • Options
    thanks im not starving just only one meal aday,

that is starving
  • Options
    Problem is Graham, is that the diet that suggests you to cut out carbs, requires you to eat fats. On the other hand, a low fat diet requires you to eat carbohydrates (amongst other things).
    If you are cutting out both carbs and fats then you are not following any specific proven diet, youre just making one up as you go along, which is destined for failure as you`re cutting out two major food groups!
    Are you actually cutting out all carbs, or just things like bread, pasta and potatoes and sugar?
    If you want to go on a diet, id suggest you just dont eat too much fatty or sugary foods. . Dont try and restrict too much as youre still a growing lad and need your energy. It will do you no harm to cut down on processed food though. especially fast food. You really need to eat something at school though, so if they have a poor selection, then take something of your own with you, maybe a ham sandwich and/or some fruit to eat at lunchtime. Make sure you drink lots of water or fruit juice too (not fizzy drinks or squash (and definitely not stuff like sunny delight:yuck:
  • Options
    You're 15.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    You're 15.
    Im sure he realises that :rolleyes:

More to the point, on your face party youve put that youre 5ft 9 and 10 st. Thats not heavy for a bloke at all, thats quite slim.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

More to the point, on your face party youve put that youre 5ft 9 and 10 st. Thats not heavy for a bloke at all, thats quite slim.

Ok im about a 11-12st now

im a 32-34waist :( i wanna go down 2-4cm's

im cutting most things out.. i'll prob live on fish n fruit
  • Options
    Ok im about a 11-12st now

still not heavy
  • Options

Certain?
  • Options
    Certain?

no i dont know im 15 because im 16 :p..

anyway i am FAT and i got FAT legs..i need to lose it.
  • Options
    11 st still isnt too bad. Youre probably better off trying to fit in more exercise to your day, and if youre going to diet, which youre perfectly entitled to do, then make sure you do it sensibly. Theres absolutely no point in going on a crash diet where you restrict so much food, because you need to be able to maintain it too. if you change your eating habits and try and just eat healthier food. Cut down on cheese and buy the half fat stuff for when you do eat it, switch to skimmed or semi skimmed milk, try and cut down on sweets and chocolate. cut down on bread and potatoes but dont give them up completely. You need to find an eating plan that you can stick to, and by that I mean one thats not too harsh. Take it slowly and that makes it easier for the weight to stay off (especially if you exercise too)
  • Options
    no i dont know im 15 because im 16 :p..

...Should think yourself lucky I'm not talking about mental age.
  • Options
    ...Should think yourself lucky I'm not talking about mental age.

and what does this have to do with my thread?
  • Options
    your body goes into starvation mode when you eat 900 calories a day or less. the average meal has about 500. so if you're eating one meal a day, you're starving.

the best weight loss tip is to eat breakfast. you don't have to gorge yourself, a couple of slices of toast or some nice healthy cereal will do. this stops you going hungry until lunchtime, when you can have another nice healthy meal, and so on.

starving yourself will have lots of negative effects. one is that your body will go into starvation mode, so it's hoarding calories, and as soon as you start eating normally again (which you will have to do at some point) you'll pile all the weight (and more)back on. starvation mode also shuts down all the non-vital body systems, such as the reproductive system (can make you infertile if you do it long enough). then it starts to shut down all your major body functions. that's when you start getting really ill.

starving isn't fun, and the after effects are even less fun. trust me.
  • Options
    Well as from tomorra im having

- toast in morning
    - fruit cocktail at lunch and a bottle of drink
    - maybe a low fast yogart in the everning

i also suck on polos as they help with feelin hungry

i am drinking alot of water and fruit juice. at least 8pints day of water alone and about 3-4of fruit juice
  • Options
    - toast in morning
    - fruit cocktail at lunch and a bottle of drink
    - maybe a low fast yogart in the everning
    i am drinking alot of water and fruit juice. at least 8pints day of water alone and about 3-4of fruit juice

so that's about 100 calories from the toast, 200 from the fruit, 50 from the yoghurt, and 300 from the juice. :rolleyes:

carry on like this if you want, but when you end up best friends with your doctor cause you see him more often than your friends, don't say i didn't warn you.

a more sensible idea:

toast for breakfast with juice

fruit for a mid-morning snack

chicken salad/pasta with sauce/a sandwich for lunch

afternoon snack, maybe something like crackers and cheese, or a banana.

fish/chicken with veggies or rice for tea

that's still only about 1500 calories. it's healthy, and you will lose weight.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    so that's about 100 calories from the toast, 200 from the fruit, 50 from the yoghurt, and 300 from the juice. :rolleyes:

carry on like this if you want, but when you end up best friends with your doctor cause you see him more often than your friends, don't say i didn't warn you.

a more sensible idea:

toast for breakfast with juice

fruit for a mid-morning snack

chicken salad/pasta with sauce/a sandwich for lunch

afternoon snack, maybe something like crackers and cheese, or a banana.

fish/chicken with veggies or rice for tea

that's still only about 1500 calories. it's healthy, and you will lose weight.

But crackers contain 25.6g of Carbohydrates per 100g to me thats alot..

ill eat fish alot but theres a problem.. my mum wont buy/cater for my needs and i don't have the money to buy my own food. its hard i have to put up with whats in the house. she wont buy semi skimmed/skimmed milk as she doesn't like it. she also wont buy me low fat foods.
  • Options
    But crackers contain 25.6g of Carbohydrates per 100g to me thats alot..

ill eat fish alot but theres a problem.. my mum wont buy/cater for my needs and i don't have the money to buy my own food. its hard i have to put up with whats in the house. she wont buy semi skimmed/skimmed milk as she doesn't like it. she also wont buy me low fat foods.

you obviously don't understand nutrition at all. carbohydrates are good for you. it's like saying - i have this car, but i don't want to put petrol in it. i'm putting lots of water in it though, so that's ok. it's not ok. you don't have enough fuel and you will stop.

secondly, most low fat foods are worse for you that their full-fat friends. you'd be better off eating the full-fat ones.

thirdly, i'm not surprised your mum won't buy skimmed milk. it tastes of ass. i'm sure if you talked to her sensibly you could come to some sort of agreement where you give her £2 a week and she buys you semi-skimmed milk when she does the shopping.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    you obviously don't understand nutrition at all. carbohydrates are good for you. it's like saying - i have this car, but i don't want to put petrol in it. i'm putting lots of water in it though, so that's ok. it's not ok. you don't have enough fuel and you will stop.

secondly, most low fat foods are worse for you that their full-fat friends. you'd be better off eating the full-fat ones.

thirdly, i'm not surprised your mum won't buy skimmed milk. it tastes of ass. i'm sure if you talked to her sensibly you could come to some sort of agreement where you give her £2 a week and she buys you semi-skimmed milk when she does the shopping.

she won't she says there not point and im not serious about it.

anyway thanks for ur help. i'll think about it but i wanna lose waight quick.
  • Options
    she won't she says there not point and im not serious about it.

anyway thanks for ur help. i'll think about it but i wanna lose waight quick.
    not being funny here rudeboyz, but what exactly was your point in asking for tips? Nobody here is going to advise you to starve yourself, and when we offer you some really good tips on how to lose weight sensibly and permanently, you have dismissed it.

What you have said you are going to eat in a day is hardly anything. Youll be able to do it for a day or two, but your body will make you crave food after that, its just not worth it because it doesnt work - its a pointless exercise.
    Basically if youre still living at home and your mum wont buy you healthy stuff, then youre just going to have to eat what she gives you, but maybe eat smaller portions. You need to eat little and often to keep your metabolism up.
  • Options
    You have to consider that your teenage years are really important in terms of your growth, development etc. They may well not exactly be enjoyable, thats for sure, but you do have to look after yourself.

Your best bet if you want to get into shape, which is actualy much better than just loosing weight is to just exercise more, it will improve your mood, your sleep patterns AND help you tone up/loose some weight.

When I was about 16-17 I used to run for an hour everyday and slept 10-12 hours solid every night, it was fantastic, I always had loads of energy.

Please be careful what you do to your body.

More than anything, ignoring all our advice about your health, starving yourself will NOT help you loose weight and keep it off. To do that you need to make smaller changes that you can keep up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    not being funny here rudeboyz, but what exactly was your point in asking for tips? Nobody here is going to advise you to starve yourself, and when we offer you some really good tips on how to lose weight sensibly and permanently, you have dismissed it.

What you have said you are going to eat in a day is hardly anything. Youll be able to do it for a day or two, but your body will make you crave food after that, its just not worth it because it doesnt work - its a pointless exercise.
    Basically if youre still living at home and your mum wont buy you healthy stuff, then youre just going to have to eat what she gives you, but maybe eat smaller portions. You need to eat little and often to keep your metabolism up.

Welli havent dismissed them i am having trouble sorting out how to go about it. i was talking to a good friend and her mum. what im gonna be doing is buying my own food and shopping. i'll have a smaller social life but i'll have a 10-15quid budget a week. and i can use some thing my mother buys (drink and some foods)

i will be going about this properlly. i promised my friend i wouldn't starve myself.
  • Options
    My Mommy always says that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, because it starts your metabolism and if you dont have it you'll not loose any weight because without your metabolism working your bodys clinging onto all your food and not digesting the fat or somethin!

She doesnt really rate lunch and she often misses it!

However, tea is also really important!! Because without it your going all afternoon, say about 5ish through to 11ish when youll go to bed, then all night 11ish till morning without anything, so your metabolism will stop and then your not actually loosing weight! so its like your suffering for nothing!

She says breads fattening, so she has rivita's, i quite like them! and thai bites and snack a jacks dont have hardly anything in them so theyre ideal for when your starvin and ready to give in!

My friend also says that the best thing to have when your hungry is pasta, cuz its a slow release of energy or somethin! tuna pasta sweetcorn n low fat mayonaise is good!

Thats about it really, well its all I know!
  • Options
    thanks

well today so far i have had

dried toast (no butter)
    ham roll
    2bottle of mineral water (no carb/fat)
    and 4pints of water in the morning.
    1 pack of polos