Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cannabis law change- My Rant.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good, I have never understood this so called 'youth' music anyway so I've never been a fan of the 'pop' stations.
  • Options
    I think it was a wrong decision for the government to downgrade the cannabis classification. All drugs are harmful, yet downgrading cannabis to class C makes it more accessible to people, as they won't be arrested for possessing small smounts of it. Some people argue that tobacco and alcohol are more harmful than cannabis; I think they are all as damaging as each other. As well as the known negative effects of tobacco and alcohol, doctors have warned that cannabis might trigger mental health problems, which could only appear 20 years on, when it's too late. It's also argued that if you legalise cannabis, you can tax it and control it. Well tobacco and alcohol are legal, taxed and controlled, but look where it's got us; people have lung cancer from choosing to smoke cigarettes, or even passively smoking, and people are abusive and violent after drinking alcohol.
  • Options
    More accessable? I some how doubt that, I'd be surprised if there are ANY teenagers in Britain who couldnt buy it if they wanted to. The main reason they are changing the law is to uniform the law accross the country. This change will make no impact what so ever to most of the Cities around the country because they already do this.

As for harm, the last big study done by the Swiss Medical Council before they had a referendum over the issue of decriminalising all drugs found that Cannabis is less harmful than either alcohol or tobacco.

Of course though you are right, it is indeed harmful and its effects on the developing mind of teenagers is somewhat unknown because its only relatively recently that kids of that young have been using it.

However if you look at the areas where decriminalisation has taken effect you will notice that use hasnt grown over all. Holland for example, far less teens use cannabis there than here. Spain and Portugal are the same.

Harmful use has FAR more to do with the shameful education policies that the governments in the Uk have been putting out for years than anything else.
  • Options
    And of course there is the question of what to do if you dont want cannabis re-classed.

Do you think its as dangerous as amphetamine and barbituates? Because at the moment it is legally the same.

The current drug laws are quite plainly failing.
  • Options
    Cannabis is practically legal anyway. People smoke it in the street, on the bus, in the pub etc. Why not go the whole hog and legalise?
  • Options
    Yea, why not :D

Bongbudda you said about portugal, whenever i went to portugal last year i was very suprised with the amount of cannabis going about, i only saw 1 person with it and its legal there...people like to smoke indoors, most smokers wouldn't go around outside having a smoke, only teens i think.
  • Options
    Stick it in class C and be done with it.. Whats needed is not decriminalisation, its not legalisation, its teaching kids *comprehensively* about cannabis. Not horror stories or shock tactics just the brute truth.

Cannabis is potentially dangerous, of course it is, but not at Class B level, because put in that bracket it could do one of two things. Make youngesters think its as dangerous as the other drugs in that bracket, or tragically encourage the kids to think that the other drugs hold the same level as danger as cannabis. As i think might have already been said, i only skim read..

Even though if i had a child i would be more accepting in him smoking cannabis rather than alcohol or cigarettes i dont think it should be made legal.

On the other hand, there is always the 'freedom of choice' aspect and maybe people should be allowed to decide how they wish to treat their bodies. but, whether its legal or not, people are going to be smoking it. I dont care if its Class A id still smoke it. What ever classification it is, it doesnt matter to me. And a lot of people see it that way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Cannabis is practically legal anyway. People smoke it in the street, on the bus, in the pub etc. Why not go the whole hog and legalise?

Nah, just because people are breaking a law is no reason to get rid of a law. If people ignore a law then by saying 'well youre not listening to us so we might as well forget all about it' is sending out a terrible message. You cant just make something legal because youre in a losing battle. Its like saying 'violence is practically legal anyway. People fight each other on the street, on the bus, in the pub etc so why not go the whole hog and legalise?' it may not be exactly the same.. but its a similar concept in my opinion :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    The whole "class' thing is total bollocks anyway. Since every drug is different froem the next wouldn't it be better to stop classing drugs together?

The problem with that though is that laws would get even more complicated for and possible user or the poilce to understand.

:confused:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Maybe, but i do think there need to be guidelines, if they were all in one bracket it may be harder (especially with the state of the drugs education in this country) for people to identify which drugs are much more harmfull than others. Id be accepting in a child of mine smoking cannabis, but heroine, crack, cocaine, speed - id be very concerned. Im not saying the brackets are there so people think Class C are safe or anything like that, but i do think we need them. Even if they are one big shambles at the moment! Maybe the classifcation needs to be re-thought.
  • Options
    The problem with the classification being "re-thought" is that the government really haven't got a clue about drugs. they only know what bullshit they have read in them crappy leaflets used to scare people or from the crap they have learnt at school. IMO only the people who have had experiences with drugs would be in a position to "re-think" the classification.
  • Options
    Drug misuse is NOT a criminal matter, or at least it shouldnt be. It would be far better if it was dealt with as a medical and social problem, which it is.

We should be moving towards a situation where all personal drug use is decriminalised and certain drugs are legal and available from licenced sources through strict checks.

It is plainly obvious that the current situation is failing. The law is NO deterant so we get all the negative points of the drugs being illegal but with no benefit.

We have a drug market worth £8bn ALL in the hands of criminals, this leads to the usual round of shootings, violence etc. It also means there are no qaulity controls, which means more people OD'ing, more damage to users etc.
    It also means that people who have problems are reluctant to come forward for fear of punishment.

We have to ask what benefit are we gaining from the current system? Drugs are cheaper and more widely available than ever before and they are being misused by more people than ever before.

By making cannabis Class C the police are suggesting that having some for personal use is only a minor offence. So why not just let people buy their cannabis from a licenced shop? The difference in practice is next to none.

I understand your concerns lil-minx about young and harmful users, but the law isnt doing anything for them. It is an education issue! Thats the only way to make a serious impact on the use patterns of people.

The example of Holland works here, for years they have made serious efforts with drugs education, seperating softer and hard drugs. They now have the oldest heroin user population in the EU and its remained relativley stable for years.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    IMO only the people who have had experiences with drugs would be in a position to "re-think" the classification.

I disagree completly.. drug users rarely know as much about a drug as they think they do. They know about certain sides to it, what they can see, feel, experience but they dont know how it affects their body! Everybody thinks they know everything but they dont, users refuse to admit that the researchers, scientists etc that give the government information may actually know something. Id trust a scientist or a doctor over a drug user everyday. Even if they are a little over precausious(sp) and maybe are hyping up the dangers. Who knows what theyre doing? but id rather that than a user saying 'ahhh its fine go get fucked'

Oh of course BongBudda it is down to education and ive said that all along. I was saying before how its pretty common knowledge a large proportion of the government want cannabis decriminalised, but they simply cant do that. Its too diffictult for theyre lazy brains so the next best thing is class C.

Im in two minds about whether i think it should be decriminalised or legalised. Part of me thinks we should be free to decide, everybody should be responsible for their own actions and we cant nanny them into doing one thing or another. Cigarettes and alcohol are in my opinion a more dangerous thing so if they can be legal why not cannabis. However, my conflicting view is that it is dangerous, so are fags and booze and im not entirely sure its best for the nation that they were legal in the first place (or course u cant make them illegal now) and that some people already seem to think illegal drugs are terrible and legal ones are fine if cannabis is made legal then whats stopping those same people thinking cannabis is fine too?

There is no way any drug can be decriminalised what so ever without a brilliant education problem.
  • Options
    The issue does not boil down to how dangerous cannabis is really.

The central issue is whether it would less harmful if legal than illegal. And the answer to that in my mind is clearly yes. Controls, education at the point of sale and other measures could be put into place to reduce the harm which cant be done now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The issue does not boil down to how dangerous cannabis is really.

The central issue is whether it would less harmful if legal than illegal. And the answer to that in my mind is clearly yes. Controls, education at the point of sale and other measures could be put into place to reduce the harm which cant be done now.

i disagree, cannabis is just that cannabis - if you buy a bag of weed its not going to have god knows what chemicals poured into it - at most it would have been sprayed with water and tequila to add weight. If it was sold legally then there would be no difference that i can see. Hash, that might be a different matter. The education is crap now and may be even worse after legalisation for all we know. At shcool they tend to skip the legal drugs alcholol-fags and say "dont do it underage and it will damage your lungs/liver" thats all.. cannabis and other drugs are discussed much more. If cannabis was legal it is possible it may get discussed as little as booze in school.
  • Options
    Just because the drugs education is crap and might get worse is no reason to keep the law the way it is.

And I would dissaggree with you over weed, its not as simple as that, comercial skunk is grown using only chemical fertilisers, the ratio of this is vitally important. A lot of skunk has been over fertilised during the flowering period, and to be frank no-one knows what the fuck kind of nasty damage that could be doing.

Also do you know your weed is grown without the use of pestisides? I think you dont. It is this that could be cleared up if it was moved into legal channels.

I aggree with you that the education system is indeed poor, thats why you cant look at this issue from one angle alone, any changes need to be combined with changes to the way the education is delivered.
  • Options
    yeah but the way i see it.. pesticides are used on my veggies and god knows WHAT gets put into my sausages, pies and mcdonalds! i like denial! a much nicer place to be :) I think if it wes that much of an issue they wouldnt be moving cannabis down theyd keep it higher up. my thoughts.
  • Options
    Its not much of an issue because the scientists are using cannabis they have grown themselves, NOT street supplies.

Ever noticed when you smoke skunk that you get a slight headache, a slightly foggy buzzing headache that really doesnt feel like being stoned? I do and I know quite a few others who do too, but only when they are smoking comercially grown imported skunk.
  • Options
    And yes, indeed there are pestisides are used on veggies, theres no denying that.

But they are regulated, controled, given set levels etc. AND you eat them, your stomach is much better at handling those sorts of things, you smoke puff, therefore anything is going straight into your blood streem.
  • Options
    ah ok i stand corrected
  • Options
    I dont really want to argue with you Minxy, I'm just trying to defend my position on this. In fact I'm trying to write a manifesto to get my thoughts straight on the issue. I'm hoping it will be the definiative work on drug policy reform.
  • Options
    oh no, i didnt see it as an argument, more like a ... lesson ... always learn stuff from you, and i dont like to think i know mroe than you because it is quite evident that i dont but im never going to learn other opinions/views/ideas unless i give you mine to comment on am i :)
  • Options
    I wouldnt say that Minxy, there are certainly areas which you have a far greater personal experience than more, more experience than you would like I'm sure.

We can all learn together, now lets join hands and welcome the sun into our hearts.
  • Options
    hehe :lol:

ok i have personal experience in some areas, you in different areas but you know all the sciency/political stuff that i could never get my head around.. sorted.

you hippy.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    We can all learn together, now lets join hands and welcome the sun into our hearts.

You are all luvved up at the mo Bong, nice to see you sharing it around!

Oh, and what Minxy said. Hippy.
  • Options
    Well my boss is out today, so thats nice, and I'm going raving on the weekend, which is also nice.

That and the nasty depression I got over the Hutton report last night is begining to lift.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    No Bong, that's just the hangover.....

Where you going raving?
  • Options
    It wasnt, that seriously got to me, I actually got a bit excited over the tution fees vote, him winning by such a small amount, I allowed myself to hope.

I still cant get over how one sided it was, I couldnt listen to the news last night, it was too grim I couldnt handle it.

I'm of to Moooooondance! At the Camden Palace, I was supposed to be going with Minxy but she's pulled out.
  • Options
    And yes, indeed there are pestisides are used on veggies, theres no denying that.

But they are regulated, controled, given set levels etc. AND you eat them, your stomach is much better at handling those sorts of things, you smoke puff, therefore anything is going straight into your blood streem.
    and additives aren't tested or limited on the whole as theres no point. theres no point becuse there is no way of knowing in what combinations and ammounts people would be taking them in ...thats their excuse anyway.
    it's quite frightening but the reality is that very few food additives have been tested in anyway whatsoever!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Reloaded
    I'm not sure if any of you heard about the guy in my lovely home town of Lincoln who shot and killed his neighbour after a row about a garden hedge? He was known to drink considerable amounts of alcohol and smoked cannabis regularly... which according to the news was just another prime example of the terrible and dangerous effects cannabis can have on you. :rolleyes:

Make sure you haven't got a gun lying around next time you spark up...

Haha if anything it makes u more mellow than dangerous