Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cannabis law change- My Rant.

My Rant – Not being part of the staff and not wanting to moan about ‘faux friends’ I thought I’d post it here.

So, cannabis is changing to Class C within the next few days and there is a flurry of people on the news decrying this as a shambles. Which of course it is.

Medically, legally and scientifically cannabis should be Class C, there is NO getting away from that. In comparison with the other Class B drugs cannabis is significantly less harmful.

The problem with this is education, NOT the change in the law. The reason there is confusion and problems is not because they are changing the law, it is because there is a woefully inadequate level of public understanding regarding the risks with cannabis.

It is harmful, there is no getting away from that, no matter how many times some hippy says that it can cure all the worlds ills its not true. There is the smoking aspect, which is obviously harmful and because of the way cannabis is smoked it’s quite probably more harmful than cigs. This is because of the lack of filter, the way it is held in longer and the higher levels of tar like substances in the cannabis itself.

There is also the mental health issue, as with any psychedelic, it can trigger underlying mental health issues and can in some cases cause psychotic episodes.

So, in this time of confusion where most kids will tell you grass is ‘harmless’ where does the Government advise people to go, to Frank of course. That bastion of fantastic information!!
A website and phone service so shockingly poor it would be funny if there wasn’t peoples lives at risk.

This is a fudge in the classic political form, we are now to get the worst of both, a mix up where youngsters feel it’s a safe drug and still the whole market in the hands of criminals. We need full legalisation, there should be NO half measures, anything less is a dangerous waste of time.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oh and on the subject of dodgy narcotic info, Channel 4 REALLY dropped a clanger last night when they discussed the cannabis issue. (i think they were all probably on the bifdas as last nights 7pm news was all over the place with technical hitches and other gaffs.

When they were giving a breakdown of the drug laws, a reporter narrated, accompanied by a Graphic on screen to the same effect, that <quote>:

'At the moment Cannabis is a class B drug, in the same class as amphetamine and ecstasy:eek: :confused: '

this really has got to stop:(
  • Options
    And yet a coroner has issued Britain's first post mortum inspection with "Cannabis Poisoning" as the cause of death. A coincidence? Or a plot by those against the downclassing of cannabis to release something shocking just before the law is about to be changed? Call me a conspiracy theorist, but hey, it just doesnt seem right.

*sees this heading towards politics soon!
  • Options
    i'd have to say so, it's just too convieniant that it happens now.

not only that but its so bloody hard to O.D on ganj.

Bong? ur thoughts on this one?
  • Options
    That case is far from being clear cut, the man was known to consume large amounts of cannabis and then he is found dead from unknown causes.

A verdict of 'death by misadventure' was reported, but as far as I can work out they havent actualy proved that he was poisoned by the cannabis that he consumed, which would be relatively easy to work out from what is in his blood. There has been a LD50 worked out, any basic chemist could run a test like that!

Also the coroner commented that it would be easier to OD if he had eaten the cannabis, did he check the mans stomach contents, his comments would suggest not. How hard is that?!

I just think this is bad timing, its a shoddy coroner thats all.
  • Options
    Oh for those who dont know the LD50 is the level at which half of the subjects are dead. Every drug has a point at which it will do so, its normally worked out in mg/kg of body wieght.
  • Options
    shoddy coroners, dodgy government drug advice, dodgy reporting by channel 4.

we all gon die:eek:
  • Options
    Ok, I've done a bit of searching and the LD50 for oral cannabis in male rats is 1270mg/kg.

So lets say that Humans are 1/3rd less likely to OD than mice shall we, for the sake of argument.

Thats 1270/3 * 2 = 846.66mg

And the bloke is going to be about 155lb which is 70kg. So he would have had to consume somewhere about 59.25g which is over two whole ounces of PURE THC!!!

Lets say he had skunk that was about 25% THC, thats, 8 ounces of skunk.

How could you possibly eat that much?

However, of course the flaw with the LD50 is that obviously 49 subjects die before this point, so it is possible that he had a very low tolerance to it.
  • Options
    the way i have understood it over the years is you would need to eat about 2 kilos of the very best resin to die. you'd be well incapable before you got anywhere near finishing it! there has NEVER been a known death from cannabis poisoning according to literature going back to victorian times right up to this day.
    the coroner should be sacked. six spliffs a day he reckoned ...
    when i was younger i smoked the stuff virtualy 24/7 for years! it's bollox and will be proved to be so. watch this space.
    the handling of the downgrade to class C' is a fucking farce. soapbar dealers will be laughing into their bank balances.
    this will though hopefully put the government, the police, the judiciary and the public into such a quandry that it forces full legalisation and control.
  • Options
    Apparently 11 a day, but yeah, badly handled, managed, but hey, the govt are involved, did you expect anything else?
  • Options
    I'm not sure if any of you heard about the guy in my lovely home town of Lincoln who shot and killed his neighbour after a row about a garden hedge? He was known to drink considerable amounts of alcohol and smoked cannabis regularly... which according to the news was just another prime example of the terrible and dangerous effects cannabis can have on you. :rolleyes:

Make sure you haven't got a gun lying around next time you spark up...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Reloaded
    [B Make sure you haven't got a gun lying around next time you spark up... [/B]
    yeah read it. the guy was obviously an obnoxious fucking anti social nob eeed! as usual they jump on the fact he has a spliff. yes ...even loonies can get their hands on drugs!
  • Options
    'At the moment Cannabis is a class B drug, in the same class as amphetamine and ecstasy '

What's this shit here, Ecstacy is Class A, speed yea class B, but cannabis in the same class as speed is stupid and i'm glad its being changed.

But how do you think local police will react to catching some teenagers who think they can smoke anywhere now and only have enough for a few spliffs on them...or even just caught walking down the road, i know here in N.Ireland the police certainly wouldn't act like that, they would arrest you and all that shit,especially youths in nationlist areas.

Why can't we just all be like the Dam ;)
  • Options
    I know what you mean, the police will still have the right to arrest and charge you, just like now. And I have heard reports that because a lot of the lower police dont like it they will enforce this change in law as hard as they can to prove a point.

It could mean a big split between ACPO and the union of the 'beat' officers.

And yes what they have got in the Dam would be a good move, but its still a rubbish system, all the money still goes in the hands of criminals and there isnt any qaulity control.
  • Options
    I'm not saying the cannabis is good for you because it isn't, it changes your state of mind... but then so does alcohol. Long term use of cannabis can cause problems, but so does alcohol... however, I've never seen a stoned person pick a fight in the street.

However, cannabis has medical properties, being a narcotic and all. Alcohol causes nothing but trouble... I see it all the time from behind the bar, alcoholics with their grey skin, some people are just pissheads with no lives, others start fights and I've never seen that with people who smoke pot.

As for it triggering mental illness, it never triggered anything in me and I have never seen it do that. So it must be only the very isolated case. Just like some anti-depressents have made people go psycho, but they're PERSCRIBED to people. Others can take an asprin and die.
  • Options
    Cannabis isnt technically a narcotic as such, THC, the chemical which makes you 'high' is a psychedelic, CBD the chemical which give the 'stonned' sedative effect is a narcotic. Plus there are dozens of other chemicals which no-one really understands. Its a mixed bag.

The mental illness angle comes in because of the psychedelic properties, if you take a substance with that effect and you have underlying mental health issues then it can come forward.

There is a growing number of reports that suggest that heavy use especialy during teenage years for young men can lead to mental health issues. However, is it just that type of men who smoke lots? There is a very suspect link here, there is a big difference between correlation and causation.
  • Options
    Bong - by the time you come anywhere near the lethal dose of cannabis, you get knocked unconscious. So technically, you can't OD on it. Plus, it would take a fair while to smoke that volume of it, and by the time you had come anywhere close it would have been a long while since you smoked the first of it.

I reckon it's physically impossible to smoke that much.
  • Options
    In my opinion - The fact that the drug is still classed, and the growing amount of drugs awareness and drug policies around schools now would have me think kids are going to view it the same as they have done. The new laws bring in strong legislation for under 18s coming into contact with the drug, and the fact that it is already widely used by under 18s have me think that not so many new users are going to surface.

Besides, undisputedly alcohol is a much more dangerous drug [in the short term at least], and is consumed by many teenagers.
  • Options
    The law hasnt and will continue not to be a deterant from young people smoking cannabis, so I'd aggree with you that the number of smokers is unlikely to rise.

As for OD'ing, I was talking about the oral dose, I think it could be done, but only if you really really tried and had access to pure THC. However you might just puke most of it straight back up.
  • Options
    Bongbudda; you describe cannabis as psychedelic, i agree with you, it really is a psychedelic experience whenever taken orally anyway and lasts alot longer, i've experienced 12 hours of being completly wasted because of eating it and the after effects can drag on and you still feel kind of stoned and spacey monged out stage a long long time after eating it.

Yes it would be possible i think to od on cannabis if you had the strongest stuff ever, pure, it could be ate, fuck the feeling coming up on it would be incredible i think for a while then things would go all fucked up from about 3 hours into it, but why would you even want to do that?
    ;)
  • Options
    Good question, its one of those drugs that would be seriously unwise and unpleasant to try and top yourself on and would require so much work that you wouldnt bother.

Same with LSD, there is technically a point at which you would OD, but you would have to go to such extremes and endure such nastiness that it wouldnt be worth doing.
  • Options
    Yea i think it would be very scary and an awful kind of stoned type feeling in your stomach if you were trying to od on cannabis, grim stuff.
  • Options
    What pisses me off and Moonrat touched on it earlier is Alcohol.

I watched Questiontime (i think) and they were talking about the cannabis issue. Some people were making comments about how it is sending out the wrong message, sending a message out that people think it is harmless and is ok to take. The point i'm trying to make is what message do they send out about alcohol?? It is fully legal and I don't think i've ever seen a tv advert warning against the dangers of drinking.

IMO alcohol is worse in the long run than smoking joints, the main reason I think that is because Alcohol is physically addicted and can ruin your life one way or another.

The point about it triggering mental illness, from a personal experience with a mate I know this is possible. He developed schysophrenia (sp??) from drugs, the main drug he was taking at the time was cannabis. We were smoking a lot of it and not just small amounts and we dabbled with other drugs at the weekend. So IMO developing a mental illness or a mental illness being brought out through smoking cannabis is possible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus
    And yet a coroner has issued Britain's first post mortum inspection with "Cannabis Poisoning" as the cause of death. A coincidence? Or a plot by those against the downclassing of cannabis to release something shocking just before the law is about to be changed? Call me a conspiracy theorist, but hey, it just doesnt seem right.
    SIZE]

how convinent that most of the media forget to tell us about the litre of strong spirit he drank just prior to his death.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Again Minxy, you see conspiricy when I just see sloppy reporting and a coroner with an agenda.

The newspapers were looking around for stories to go with the law change of Cannabis and at the same time a coroner who knows about as much about cannabis poisoning as my arse comes out with this shocking verdict. They run the story without a seconds thought.

Lickalotapuss; I can see your point, there isnt anywhere near the level of information about the dangers of Alcohol as there should be. I am always somewhat unsure about comparisons between drugs, they are different in terms of their dangers and their positive effects.
    Of course you have to do comparisons for legal gradients, but I prefer a more objective view, looking at the drug in of itself.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Again Minxy, you see conspiricy when I just see sloppy reporting and a coroner with an agenda.

:lol: i cant help it you must know by now that i see the governenment and mass media as one big conspiracy.. i really do have contempt (is that even the right word) for the government so i cant help jumping to conspiracy theories..

Although, your reasoning does make much more sense than mine!!
  • Options
    Contempt is indeed the right word, a hatred, loathing for.

It may be shite, but its the only system we have and the other options are much worse. Even if they are all crooks you still have to keep pace with it, politics is really interesting and vital. The more you know the better equiped you are.
  • Options
    I do really agree with you, every now and again, when we ahve time, my dad and i sit down and discuss politics, current issues and things like that we very rarely agree but i do learn a lot off him. Not enough and i know that my views arent always going to be accurate and based on fact because i dont know enough about politics as id like to. I was thinking about studying politics to learn more, but then thats not good enough because you dont learn (at least not at the level ill be studying it at) enough & you only learn what they want you to learn..
  • Options
    see, i just noticed the sceptic in me again at the end of that thread!
  • Options
    My advice to anyone is, listen to PM on Radio 4 every week day between 5 and 6pm. It is the best news show on any medium, its a little dry, but not too dry and has a good but not boring level of detail. They get important people to interview and all round its a fantastic show.

Now all of you, go forth and listen to Radio Four, I comand you!
  • Options
    My Dad talks about that, with college its very hard to be at home to listen to it..

I must admit i do listen to some debates on Radio 5.. bit better than Kiss 100 at least im working my way up to Radio 4 slowly but surely!