Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Making the union jack black?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is this site a joke or what?
www.reflag.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    Sadly not, this has been brought up before. I don't see the point, the UJ wasn't based on race, it is the joining of the flags.
  • Options
    Whether it is a joke or not, I think their justification for wanting to change the flag isn't very logical-have black and white on the flag to represent our cultural diversity and the colour of people. For example, the Spanish flag is red and yellow. The people of Spain aren't red and yellow!

I like the new flag though-stands out more!
  • Options
    Its been mentioned before and, yeah, its serious.

Its no wonder that so many whites are skeptical of race relations movements when they come out with bollocks like this. In my opinion if they dont like the flag of this country then they can bugger off out of it. Permanently.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Sadly not, this has been brought up before. I don't see the point, the UJ wasn't based on race, it is the joining of the flags.

not the welsh flag though:no: :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    not the welsh flag though:no: :p

Thats cos the Welsh dont count;)

Though I think the Union Jack would be greatly improved by having a dragon in the middle *nodnod*
  • Options
    One of the vanishingly rare occasions when the term 'political correctness gone mad' is an accurate observation.

Still, although I don't see it ever happening, their mock-up of the revised flag looks pretty funky, and could be achieved by mixing in the black of the Scottish flag (well, it used to have a black background).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Still, although I don't see it ever happening, their mock-up of the revised flag looks pretty funky.
    I like it, actually, but the reasoning is skewed. No more to add to above, really.

I would also like to see a dragon on our union flag. But a cute baby one! :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Its no wonder that so many whites are skeptical of race relations movements when they come out with bollocks like this.

I don't think its anything to do with race relations organisations, just the idea of a lone idiot afaik.

Yes, I do think its a stupid idea.
  • Options
    Agreed, changing the flag will do nothing to address the ignorance and miseducation which is the cause of most racism in this country. If the Welsh can live without it so can I.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Agreed, changing the flag will do nothing to address the ignorance and miseducation which is the cause of most racism in this country. If the Welsh can live without it so can I.

yup. i suppose, as a gesture, it's not too bad, but if the gesture doesn't reflect the behaviour of half the country, what's the point?
  • Options
    union-jack-large-med.gif stupid stupid stupid people. why not stick a crescent moon on it as well ...and a little stars and stripes.
  • Options
    I have to admit, it looks alright.
    But the motive behind it is stupid as hell, why don't we just colour the whole thing black, brown and pink, then it really would be reflective of our society. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The BNP and their ilk will just love this. I bet that they couldn’t have come up with a better vote winning campaign if they tried their hardest.
  • Options
    in addition to whowhere, what about the people who arent black or white?
    do we also but in brown and, as my vietnamese friend calls himself, yellow? what about the mixed-race people? surely they're not represented in this new flag?

i'm for racial equality, but i think that if they're going to change the flag they would have to do drastically more than that to represent everyone in our culture

[sarcasm]
    why not the union jill?
    [/sarcasm]
  • Options
    Originally posted by Paul_2
    The BNP and their ilk will just love this. I bet that they couldn’t have come up with a better vote winning campaign if they tried their hardest.
    I agree with you about the BNP's ineptitude, Paul, but this is a very old story now, and it didn't make a lot of waves.
  • Options
    I don't know why everyone's getting so het up about it. Its not going to happen.
  • Options
    For once I agree with Blagsta on something, true to the christmas spirit and all. This flag bollocks really is a load of fucking bollocks. I'd like to see the idiots campaigning for this shit on a television interview because they would get absolutely slaughtered.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I don't know why everyone's getting so het up about it. Its not going to happen.
    well if it does ...i want a cannabis leaf to represent my tribe ...ok i know others will want a line ... awhiskey glass ...a syringte ...a roulette wheel ... c'mon!
  • Options
    Whilst I think a lot of tradition that this country has is bullshit (eg, foxhunting, royals having to wear gloves to shake hands with the public), it's going too far asking to change the flag to represent ethnic minorities. I mean instead of integrating them in, we're pointing them out so to speak... instead of brushing away the idea that skin colours make us different, we're highlighting it.
  • Options
    to my knowledge ...three flags have had fashion icon status.
    american. united kingdom. ussr. great flags with huge histories of tears and joys. sometimes people need to see a flag raised ...lkook at iran at the moment with its dreadfukll earth quake.
    come omn ..one of you is going to tell me that brussels has decreed our flag to colourfull. all euro flags must now be equaly as bland,=,
    it's a fucking great flag ...leave it alone.
  • Options
    How's this for a flag representing ethnic minorities?
  • Options
    If the Union Jack was ever to be changed, this is what we would probably end up with:

mcdonalds-logo.gif
  • Options
    Have read this before, and it is highly disturbing. Changing a symbol, which has flown high above a race of people, so proudly, for so long, is just plain f*****g wrong! As for the UJ not containing anything Welsh, i do believe the diagonal red crosses were the Welsh representation, through the Scottish flag, with the English flag on top. Ill have a look into it and get back to you :)

Edit
    Right, slightly wrong, the diagonal red lines, are part of the St Patrick Cross of Ireland. The Welsh dragon was not incorporated into the Union Jack because Wales had already been united to England when the first version of the Union Flag was designed in 1606. Also, quite amusingly, it is only known as a "Jack" when flown onboard a ship, on ground it should be the Union Flag when flown on ground :)
  • Options
    Personally I don't really give a fuck about the flag one way or another.
  • Options
    What is the point? Our Union flag represents our country and everyone living here. I never thought that the white in our flag represents white people? If their going to add some black so it represents black people living in the UK then they should also add yellow and brown for the Chinese and Asians.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Personally I don't really give a fuck about the flag one way or another.

How patriotic of you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    That'll be because I'm not particularly patriotic. At least not in the sense that I give a fuck about about a sodding flag.
  • Options
    What is the point? Our Union flag represents our country and everyone living here. I never thought that the white in our flag represents white people? If their going to add some black so it represents black people living in the UK then they should also add yellow and brown for the Chinese and Asians.

it looks nice but will only cause more problems and racial tension because the flag wasnt based on race in the first place!
  • Options
    The nazi flag had black in it, and they weren't know for their race relations.

This has nothing to do with improving race relations, and is more likely to have the opposite effect. It is in fact anti-white propaganda designed to stir up trouble.
  • Options
    I doubt it is anti-white propaganda since the people behind this 'idea' are in all probability white.

This is a darling expression I usually laugh at, but on this occasion I think it is proper to say this is political correctness gone mad.

Or in other words, a load of bollocks.