Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Houseing...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay just curious but say someone wanted to move out when they turned 16 and are still in school who would they have to get in contact with (obviously the local council) but what part of the council and also what benifits are on offer for a 16yr old who is still in school living on his own?

Comments

• Options
    You could try the DHSS. I don't think they would house you unless you have problems at home, etc.
  • Options
    Phone the housing and benefits section (At least that's what they are called in Aberdeen Council). Failing that call the switchboard and ask for their help on the best person to speak to.

Housing is allocated by a points system (Again this might be diff in England). Depending on your circumstances you get certain points. (Eg overcrowding, pregnancy, ill health) These points allow you to climb a ladder and once you are at the top of the ladder you get a property offered to you.

Be careful though. If you refuse the property then you will get buped back down the ladder and start again.
  • Options
    oh i dont think i'd refuse somewhere..anywheres better than here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    try here and have a live webchat with the connexions advisors, they will be able to talk you through things and point you in the direction of their local office where you can go, and they will help you sort everything out, they're fanatastic; and better still you can do it right now.

They maybe a lil bit slow but its worth it.
  • Options
    ooooo i will use them but i cant right now..my mam will be home soon and im not allowed to use the net before 06.00pm or after 08.00am weekdays and have to swap the dailing numbers over to connect..
  • Options
    oh i dont think i'd refuse somewhere..anywheres better than here.

Cearful though.. these housing people tend to stick you in shit holes. I know one of my mates went though a housing agency because he had problems at home the place he want was a right shit hole, right scummy people as well... you know the type.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Cearful though.. these housing people tend to stick you in shit holes. I know one of my mates went though a housing agency because he had problems at home the place he want was a right shit hole, right scummy people as well... you know the type.

sounds lovely:rolleyes:

i got a month to wait and ill be glad to get outa here,
  • Options
    right scummy people as well... you know the type.

Oh fuck, are they poor?
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    Oh fuck, are they poor?

the majority of scummy people are poor..i though anyway:confused:
  • Options
    Oh fuck, are they poor?

I dunno, most are criminals and junkies though.
  • Options
    I dunno, most are criminals and junkies though.

But are they poor because they are criminals/junkies or are they criminals/junkies because they are poor. :confused:

BACK TO TOPIC

If you can wait RB then it is worth hanging on. Don't take the first one they offer you (Unless it is of course somewhere smart) You will eventually get something that will be acceptable.

The problem you might find is that if you accept the first place (and it is a run down hole with rising damp and junkies for neighbours) then this may not help you out of your depression. Infact will probably make it alot worse.
  • Options
    Thanks man..

Also what type ofg benifits would be on offer?

im thinking if im still seeing a councillor and on anti depressents would i be able to claim DLA? but what other benifits are on offer?
  • Options
    you will get a bit less benefits than normal because of being under 18, but you should still get housing benefit. Your mum would have to admit that it was intolerable living with you. Thjats what my mum did.
  • Options
    But are they poor because they are criminals/junkies or are they criminals/junkies because they are poor.

I dunno, I don't tend to hang out with those sorts of people. :)
  • Options
    Or you could get your self a girl and get her up the duff. You'll deff get a place then.
  • Options
    Or you could get your self a girl and get her up the duff. You'll deff get a place then.
    no he wouldnt. The girl would though.
    Rudeboy you might be higher up on the list because of your mental health problems. When you apply to go on the council house list, you will be given a whole lot of questions to fill in. If you say youll live ANYWHERE then theyre likely to house you quicker. If you are picky about what you will or wont accept, then you could be waiting a long time. They may even put you into temporary accomodation first. I think speaking to connexions is a good idea, or the citizens advice bureau. Council places arent the only places available though. You could find a privatly rented bedsit and just get housing benefit to pay the rent, you may well find that quicker than waiting for the council to house you.
    Im not 100% sure about braintree councils policy on benefits for those in full time education. I know I managed to get benefits and go to college. You might just have to pretend to the DSS that youd be willing to give up college if a job came along, I cant remember exactly what I did, as it was 11 years ago. The basic fact is, they cant let you starve.
  • Options
    Ms Brite speaks words of wisdom. Pretty much echoes my thoughts but I was unsure whether the system was the same in Englandshire as it is up in the wilds. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Council places arent the only places available though. You could find a privatly rented bedsit and just get housing benefit to pay the rent, you may well find that quicker than waiting for the council to house you.

I so didnt know i could do that! What department do you think i'd need to speck to to sort out housing benifit?
    As i have found a few places i ouldnt mind living in i just cant afford them. they are like £120 a week, but i have to stay local to my family cos of my sister which is why its so expencive.
    I'm getting a job but its not been finalised yet. and i know that i wont be paid enough a week to pay that rent but would i beable to get houseing bennifits? I'm 17 btw and my rents have told me they cant live with me anymore. so thats why im moving out, not just cos i feel like it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    I so didnt know i could do that! What department do you think i'd need to speck to to sort out housing benifit?
    As i have found a few places i ouldnt mind living in i just cant afford them. they are like £120 a week, but i have to stay local to my family cos of my sister which is why its so expencive.
    I'm getting a job but its not been finalised yet. and i know that i wont be paid enough a week to pay that rent but would i beable to get houseing bennifits? I'm 17 btw and my rents have told me they cant live with me anymore. so thats why im moving out, not just cos i feel like it.
    If youre working you can still get housing beneft to pay some of your rent if you are on a low income, but they will pay all of it if you are on jobseekers allowance, as long as the place isnt too big for your needs - ie they wont pay for you to live in a 2 bedroom flat on your own, but they would probably pay for a small studio flat/ bedsit/ room in a houseshare.
    Different areas have different policies, and if all the accomodation in your area is expensive and you have a special reason to want to live there (eg family ties) then they are more liklely to pay that much rent for you, whereas in my area that would probably be seen as excessive rent.
    look in your local paper for houseshares and bedsits, or you can even ask the council for a list of privatly rented places that accept housing benefit. Its probably cheaper doing it that way than going through an agency.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Thanks man..

Also what type ofg benifits would be on offer?

im thinking if im still seeing a councillor and on anti depressents would i be able to claim DLA? but what other benifits are on offer?

Depression is not a disability.
    It's funny round here you cant get council housing under 18 unless your like a parent n stuff, my mate had problems at home at 16 and wanted to move out and they said she couldnt unless she went into foster care until she was 18.
  • Options
    What about contacting Social Services ? If i remember rightly you have talked to them before so if you have a social worker get onto them and if you have someone like them helping you it could make a big difference. In todays society its not WHAT you know but WHO you know in my opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rockerchick
    Depression is not a disability.
    It's funny round here you cant get council housing under 18 unless your like a parent n stuff, my mate had problems at home at 16 and wanted to move out and they said she couldnt unless she went into foster care until she was 18.
    depression isnt a disability, but it can make you be classed as `vunerable` in the eyes of the council which will get you moved higher up the list (if your doctor writes a note for you) .It isnt classed as a disability, but it is classed as an illness, therefore you might even be entitled to sick pay if its severe enough to stop you working although there is no way you would get DLA .Rockerchick I dont know what area you live in where they make you go into fostercare till youre 18, but its not like that where I live and as rudeboys lives about 20miles away from me, its probably not like that there either.
  • Options
    Like Rainbow Brite said, District Councils won't usually pay housing benefit / council tax benefit for under 18's unless they have written confirmation from their parents that they are unable to live at home any longer. I think they might pay you some form of Jobseekers Allowance or Income Support and I think it is about 35 quid a week (ish) for under 18's, and the criteria for getting it are pretty tight.

Round here it is pointless trying to get any kind of council / housing association housing. Your best bet for a quick fix is to find a bedsit or studio flat, the only problem with that is raising the money for the deposit, and then you have to sit and wait for the housing benefit peeps to get their bum into gear with paying the rent.

Maybe the local YMCA would be able to help? I know they do offer emergency short term and long term accomodation help for under 24's.
  • Options
    be careful about playing up the depression thing.

when i was 16 and first got diagnosed i was a bitch on a stick, and told the therapist i would rather die than live at home anymore.

they told me that if i wasn't prepared to live at home, they could move me into a secure institution. a nut home, basically.

my only experience with young people getting council houses is my brother's best friend. he was kicked out of his house at 14, lived on the streets for a while, got taken into some kind of hostel, and put on the housing list. the flat he got was hell. absolute hell. it was a one-roomed flat in the most horrid part of leeds. he got broken into nearly every week, beaten up, knifed, some guy threatened to kill him... in the end my mum offered him a room in our house, cause she was scared he was going to be killed. he lived with us for about 6 months.

i'd say stay at home for as long as you can.
  • Options
    If you are under 18, not working or studying, you can claim what is called "bridging allowance" which is approx £32 a week. Not much to live off. Then when you are 18 you can get proper jobseekers allowance.

I moved out of home when I was 17, not to my own place though.

It's a lot harder living independently than people think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty

It's a lot harder living independently than people think.
    yeah it is, but if living at home is really intolerable then its worth it. It is hard, but you get used to it. I think its character building, I dont know why some people want to live with their parents for so long anyway. i left home at 16, my husband did too, so did my brother. I have an absolutely fab relationship with my mum, but that doesnt mean I want to live with her full time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i'd say stay at home for as long as you can.

I agree - it seems like a good idea till you realise how good you had it in the first place. Nowadays moving out, getting into debt and having shite credit is much worse than a few more years where you are. If you are serious why not try and do it properly - get a job, find a good mate with a job and move out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I dont know why some people want to live with their parents for so long anyway.

i left home at 21.

why?

free rent, free food, minimal housework, free houshold items, no council tax, no utility bills, free phone line, free internet, free tv, support to carry on into higher and further education, free use of family car. when something broke, it got fixed.

my parent's house isn't a mansion or owt, but it's clean and it's secure, and it's a hell of a lot better than anything i could have found at that age.
  • Options
    At last someone who speaks sense - i did exactly the same without the extra education bit and i'm now 20 with a 2 bed house of my own and my own car. I wonder where i'd be if i moved out when i was 16, probably in the same scabby bedsit pinching pennies and never going out coz' i never had the chance to set myself up properly. It's all good if you move out knowing you can go back but from what i can gather most people are saying they just can't stand their parents or whatever. These people are the one's who should plan carefully coz' once they have gone thats it for the rest of your days.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Munchie Face
    At last someone who speaks sense - i did exactly the same without the extra education bit and i'm now 20 with a 2 bed house of my own and my own car. I wonder where i'd be if i moved out when i was 16, probably in the same scabby bedsit pinching pennies and never going out coz' i never had the chance to set myself up properly. It's all good if you move out knowing you can go back but from what i can gather most people are saying they just can't stand their parents or whatever. These people are the one's who should plan carefully coz' once they have gone thats it for the rest of your days.
    I must admit it took me a few years to properly get on my feet and i did doss around for a few years, it didnt really bother me, I enjoyed it. it depends what your goals are really, and at 16 I just wanted to move out and be with my boyfriend, The practical side of it didnt really come into it till later, as when i was in houseshares, the bills were included in the rent and i just had to buy food. In the bedsit i had a 50p electricity meter which cost me about a fiver a week in electricity. I dont think I had to pay council tax as i was on benefits.
    it took till i was 24 to buy my own house.