Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Church

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you ever go to church ? if so what does church do for you ?
Why do some people need to go to church and why do some just feel they cant go into a church?
Why go to pray when what you pray for never happens ?
Why ?
Ive got a few things on my mind at the minuite so although you probably dont understand why im rambling Id really like to hear your views. It may come out later in the thread but id rather here what people have to say :)

Comments

• Options
    I'd say that it's all down to preference.
    Like I enjoy to do assignments alone the best, others like the benefit of a group to do it in.
    Same goes for prayers. Some want to feel united and some want to be private about.

Some believe that prayers might help. Plus, it gives the feel of a closeness to God. Like some sort of contact.

But I do understand why some people will never believe in prayers or God.
    Depends on your experience, and outlook :)
  • Options
    I havnt been too church properly since i was a child. I went too see one of my Freinds get baptised this year though, put me off church even more. This bloke basically was saying if you dont go too church every week you go to Hell:yeees:

Christians can tell you you are wrong, but you cant say they are wrong.

Personally i dont beleive in it.
  • Options
    Re: Church
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Do you ever go to church ? if so what does church do for you ?
    Why do some people need to go to church and why do some just feel they cant go into a church?
    Why go to pray when what you pray for never happens ?
    Why ?
    Ive got a few things on my mind at the minuite so although you probably dont understand why im rambling Id really like to hear your views. It may come out later in the thread but id rather here what people have to say :)
    i don't go to church. people probably pray for what they want and don't notice they got what they needed.
    prayer can be a very powerful way of thinking and focusing.
    probably depends which god your praying to as well.
  • Options
    Right if there is a 'god' why is there so much hurt in the world ? Why would he let bad things happen and why when you really want answers can you not get them ?
  • Options
    i dont believe in organised religion :no:

if i wanna believe in something (which i dont) im gonna do it myself, without nosy busiebodies and lining the pockets of the leaders
  • Options
    My belief is that humans have a choice.
    Therefore the world isn't perfect.
  • Options
    Right if there is a 'god' why is there so much hurt in the world ? Why would he let bad things happen and why when you really want answers can you not get them ?
    i'll probably get this wrong and i'm sure someone will point it out ...heres what i remember ...man rebels and wants to do it his way. gods way aint good enough. so god says ...there you go boy ...your on your own ...do it your way and you'll discover you have not been created to manage the great minds and the great planet i just gave you ...i'll prove to you earthling man ...that without me your ...dust. then ...comes a day of reckoning when he takes over ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Therefore the world isn't perfect.

So are you saying even god aint perfect ? and we all make mistakes ?

Sorry if im putting words in your mouth.
  • Options
    So are you saying even god aint perfect ? and we all make mistakes ?

Sorry if im putting words in your mouth.

My belief of God isn't as square as most others. For me God is simply some kind of power.

So God is perfect in his/her/it's own sense, while humans are of a completely different nature and sense.
    I believe that one of the greatest mistakes when discussing such issues is to personize God in human terms. Doesn't work that way according to my belief.

But yes, human beings all make mistakes (except from me). And someone I used to know actually told me that the meaning of Life is to learn from the mistakes we make, improve and the make new ones, so we can rise again to a new level. Like Newton's saying of "standing on the shoulder of giants".
    So we always grow as human beings, and continue to better our ways and beliefs. Always have something new to build upon.
  • Options

God created the world right, like, sin free and perfect. but the Devil tempted adam and eve and they did something that God asked them not to. the way i see it, if i do something that God has told me not to, then i have sinned.
    God knows everything. he knows everything that happens and why it happens and whilst he knows all this and he is in control, He gave us free will. so the bad things that happen are because of free will. because people do what they like. im not saying that if something bad happens to you that its your fault. but its someones fault, someone brought that about or brough that on you. God doesnt "let" things happen, they just do. he doesnt stop them from happening cos that would mean that we dont have Free will. the reason there is so much hurt in the world is because the devil is king on this earth, God is the creator, almighty he made this world and the heavens and hell, but the devil is the king of this earth because he tempts man to sin.
    the enemy seeks only to kill and destroy. thats why theres all the hurt. i cant explain it. i understant it, but i cant put it into words for you to understand it so you probably think im talking crap. no one knows it all. we arent called to understand, just to believe. ive only been a Christian for just over a year so i dont know everything and i never will.
    what morrocan roll said is right...man wants to do it his own way. but we cant do it our own way....one reason why many people chose not to be Christians, because they cant handle that they wouldnt be in control of their own life. God controls it all.
    Jesus isnt the best way...hes the only way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    God created the world right, like, sin free and perfect. but the Devil tempted adam and eve and they did something that God asked them not to. the way i see it, if i do something that God has told me not to, then i have sinned.
    God knows everything. he knows everything that happens and why it happens and whilst he knows all this and he is in control, He gave us free will. so the bad things that happen are because of free will. because people do what they like. im not saying that if something bad happens to you that its your fault. but its someones fault, someone brought that about or brough that on you. God doesnt "let" things happen, they just do. he doesnt stop them from happening cos that would mean that we dont have Free will. the reason there is so much hurt in the world is because the devil is king on this earth, God is the creator, almighty he made this world and the heavens and hell, but the devil is the king of this earth because he tempts man to sin.
    the enemy seeks only to kill and destroy. thats why theres all the hurt. i cant explain it. i understant it, but i cant put it into words for you to understand it so you probably think im talking crap. no one knows it all. we arent called to understand, just to believe. ive only been a Christian for just over a year so i dont know everything and i never will.
    what morrocan roll said is right...man wants to do it his own way. but we cant do it our own way....one reason why many people chose not to be Christians, because they cant handle that they wouldnt be in control of their own life. God controls it all.
    Jesus isnt the best way...hes the only way.
    howdy son! we don't see many fire and brimstone preachers in the vallys these days. would you like a slug of medicinal?

sorry ...went into john wayne mode ...sshhh.
  • Options
    hehe that made me laugh...the john wayne thing....lol
    but son? is that part of the john wayne thing or are u actually calling me son? cos im a girl.... :(
    i wasnt meaning to sound like a "fire and brimstone preacher" , in fact im far from it. i suppose i was trying to answer beckys question but i tend to ramble....oops....just my opinion anyways....
    God loves you all!!
  • Options
    hehe that made me laugh...the john wayne thing....lol
    but son? is that part of the john wayne thing or are u actually calling me son? cos im a girl.... :(
    i wasnt meaning to sound like a "fire and brimstone preacher" , in fact im far from it. i suppose i was trying to answer beckys question but i tend to ramble....oops....just my opinion anyways....
    God loves you all!!
    sorry miss ellen. please excuse me i've been on the juice tonight.
    i know all about rambling.

how can god love me? i'm not an american and niether am i the queen.
  • Options
    personally i belive in god, but god isnt a perosn therefor you cannot define him/her perfect/imperfect good/evil. you see god as being all powerful, i agree with that, but i think that because you class god as humanlike, then you percieve him to have feelings, if god had feelings like love, hate etc then he is not perfect, he would go into moods, be stroppy, etc. much like humans do. however if you say he doesnt have feelings then if he doesnt its no wonder he doesnt look after us, he doesnt care if he doesnt have feelings so he wouldnt care if we killed each other

hope that made sense
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tanman
    personally i belive in god, but god isnt a perosn therefor you cannot define him/her perfect/imperfect good/evil. you see god as being all powerful, i agree with that, but i think that because you class god as humanlike, then you percieve him to have feelings, if god had feelings like love, hate etc then he is not perfect, he would go into moods, be stroppy, etc. much like humans do. however if you say he doesnt have feelings then if he doesnt its no wonder he doesnt look after us, he doesnt care if he doesnt have feelings so he wouldnt care if we killed each other

hope that made sense
    the god of the bible is love!
    he is also an angry and a jealous god. according to the bible god had humour as well ...or should that be has?
    he then procceeds to make man in his likeness!
  • Options
    My excuse for missing church...
  • Options
    I went to sunday school and went to C 0f E and Catholic schools but it didn't convince my Cynical mind.
    I don't really believe in God but If there is a god I don't think he/she/it is anything to do with Jesus Christ, Allah or Buddha or anything like today's religions believe.
  • Options
    Things are clearer today. I know what i gotta do although you probably still aint got a clue what im waffling about, but thanks anyway for your replies :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    sorry miss ellen. please excuse me i've been on the juice tonight.
    i know all about rambling.

how can god love me? i'm not an american and niether am i the queen.
    I hope your avatar recovers in full Mr Roll, BTW.
  • Options
    Becky, I used to go to church when I was younger. My parents didn't go, it was some phase I went through when I was an angst ridden child who thought god offered an answer to the pains of growing up. I was wrong. I sat week after week and listened and prayed and in all seriousness, actually going to a church made me think more about organised religion.

I'm an atheist now, so I suppose that speaks for itself.
  • Options
    I am a Christian, but only became so recently. One point I wanted to address was Becky's question, why pray when your prayers aren't answered?

The fact is that God does listen and He does answer prayers, as I once heard said, but sometimes the answer is 'no'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I am a Christian, but only became so recently. One point I wanted to address was Becky's question, why pray when your prayers aren't answered?

The fact is that God does listen and He does answer prayers, as I once heard said, but sometimes the answer is 'no'.

God answers our prayers, but sometimes by giving us different things that we originally asked for. and sometimes, He takes years to answer them. but its all part of his wonderful plan. if you pray for something and you dont get it, its not because Gods being mean and doesnt want you to have it, it means thats its not part of His plan for you, and that He has something better than that for you. But we shouldnt just pray to ask him for things that we want.
  • Options
    God answers our prayers, but sometimes by giving us different things that we originally asked for. and sometimes, He takes years to answer them. but its all part of his wonderful plan. if you pray for something and you dont get it, its not because Gods being mean and doesnt want you to have it, it means thats its not part of His plan for you, and that He has something better than that for you. But we shouldnt just pray to ask him for things that we want.
    My point exactly. But much better put.
  • Options
    I used to be a practicing Christian and one of the highlights for me was the atmosphere and community of my church. However, I prayed so many times and never felt as if there was anybody listening, any answer.

So I packed up my prayers and sorted my problems out with my own hands, which worked.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I hope your avatar recovers in full Mr Roll, BTW.
    PMSL! took me a mo.
    i'm sure he will and the world will know all about it. wow man ...i mean, one minute i'm on the bike ...the next i'm back on stage ...
    "finished with my woman cos she couldn't help me with my mind".
    the on going saga ...
  • Options
    I believe in God and go to Church regularly. I believe in the power of prayer and when I'm worried or nervous about something it calms me down and helps whatever I want to happened happened. Its also a great comfort when a relative dies to know that I will see them again eventually.
  • Options
    Becks, I go to church because I can receive teaching and support from other Christians when I need it, which is quite a lot. Think of God in terms of a parent.

You probably don't give your kid(s) everything they ask for and do things they won't appreciate until they are older or parents themselves. You probably realize as well no matter how much you teach them they will go out and sometimes learn through failure or mistakes.
  • Options
    We don't really need church to be honest, you can have communion, miracles and confessions at home... just look...

Monkeyshriner_miracraft.jpg
  • Options
    Nikodotcom_easybake.jpg
  • Options
    Spatule_confessor.jpg