Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Record of the Year

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, its just that people who vote in things like this have the memory of a goldfish.

Can anyone remember what was number one in february?

Make Luv- Room 5 for most of I think. That and Crazy in Love being the only songs I liked in that list ( not minding the former, loving the latter for some reason)

And while I hate to admit to liking the song, where were tATu?
  • Options
    ......surely a cover version should never be in the running anyway.

I have to say that I thought Daniel Bedingfields song was the best!
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    Evanescence- Bring me back to life was nominated but didn't reach the top 5. Seeing as that single was number 1 for 6 weeks

It was only number one for four weeks actually. I think most of the people who bought that song would have been hagning around the street, made-up like clowns.

To have any credibility, it shoulda been a totally open nominations vote, with the 10 most popular songs going through.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    A contender in my eyes. I also like Seven Nation Army. Was that this year?

Yep.

It's really irritating that this cover song has become Record of the Year. When the original artist recorded it, they were writing and singing from the heart, expressing their feelings, but with Westlife, there is no emotion, all you can feel from them is

"We're trying our best to make little girls fancy us, buy our songs that we don't write and make us Record of The Year".

Ah well, this just means I'll have to continue not watching this programme, or Top of The Pops or anything like that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    Black Eyed Peas: Where is the Love? - crap song

I beg to differ. I think its great.
  • Options
    Did anyone expect anything different?
    Another crap TV texting money making scheme with little girls
    deciding the outcome. I really think 'Record of the year' sounds crap and they shouldn't have created it in the first place.

Despite all that, I did vote 3 times for Rachel Stevens :naughty:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I beg to differ. I think its great.

It was. The first 43987023 times it was played. After that, it just started to get old.
  • Options
    :no:
    Wasn't even tolerable the first time.

Simply a cliché. And in a bad way!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    I thought it was quite 'convenient' that the nominees who weren't there in the studio were voted out first :rolleyes:

well to be honest, i wouldnt have voted for someone who couldnt have been arsed to turn up
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    It was. The first 43987023 times it was played. After that, it just started to get old.

Yup.

That's half the problem these days. If someone came up with the next "Imagine" or whatever, it'd get played to death and people would end up hating it.
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

well to be honest, i wouldnt have voted for someone who couldnt have been arsed to turn up

Don't be so fucking stupid. Do you really think the likes of Beyonce and 50cent have nothing better to do? Like tour maybe?

You make it sound like they were putting their feet up and settling down for a night in front of the telly :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    Ze final ten were.

Rachel Stevens - Sweet Dreams My LA Ex
    Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
    Beyonce - Crazy In Love
    Daniel Bedingfield - If You're Not The One
    The Black Eyed Peas - Where Is The Love
    Busted - Year 3000
    Dido - White Flag
    Room 5 ft. Oliver Cheatham - Make Luv
    Westlife - Mandy
    Fatman Scoop ft. The Crooklyn Clan - Be Faithful

I actually think the five which didn't make it into the top ten are a lot better than the ones that did. I'm not even a pop fan particularly but surely there are far far better pop songs than that Westlife one? The whole thing seems bizarre to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

I've only heard it 2 or 3 times. :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    :no:
    Wasn't even tolerable the first time.

Simply a cliché. And in a bad way!

Not cliched. Good soulful hip hop.
  • Options
    whether the song was released 2 weeks ago, or 2 months ago, its irrelevant really. The show was called something like Record Of The Year.

Was this song realesed this year? Yes

So therefore it doesnt matter that it was on the program cuz it was released this year. And as for westlife winning and their being no rock bands on the show, are you really that surprised?? American music should be allowed (and is) in the record of the year cuz its not like the show was called British Record Of The Year, is it? and the fact that a cover song won it, is a disgrace to 'music'.
  • Options
    Can't be arsed to read the whole thread, and I want to avoid the usual anti-pop bashing.

At the end of the day, this was touted as the "Record of the Year" and not as the Pop record OTY. So why are there only pop acts included?

Does Mandy really compare well with a tune like "Clocks" for example?

Does it matter that this song was written years ago by Barry Manilow (who didn't even get a "thank you" from Westlife BTW), or are we saying that none of the original songs match something which was considered cheesy even back then?

Is this really the best song which the industry had to offer this year - or even the best "pop" song?

I think not.