Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Aborting the Disabled?

CoE curate wins judicial review over decision to abort a child with a cleft palate afetr 24 weeks

I personally feel that interfering busybodies like these, especially those driven by religious bigotry, should keep their ill-informed noses out of issues like this. I doubt the motehr chose to do this on the spur of the moment as a laugh, so to drag the decision through the courts again is grossly irresposible and morally unjustifiable.

But Im uinsure as to whether the woman should have been allowed to have the abortion. I think she probably should have been allowed to, because a deformity like that, whilst not life-threatening, would have had serious impact on the quality of life of the child AND of the mother. The woman would have had to look after the child, or face the heart-break of having to give it up, and obviously the disability was severe enough to require diligent care for a very long period of time, so I think the decision was right.

But just how disabled is disabled?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A cleft palate is so not a serious disability. Nowadays it is a quite simple operation to "fix" it and children can go on to lead perfectly normal lives. Does not affect quality of life. I have a friend who was born with a cleft palate, now he just has a small scar going from his upper lip to his nose.

To think that someone can abort their baby because of that, disgusts me to be honest. I do believe in womens choice, in the case of ACCIDENTS (which don't really need to occur now there is easy access to emergency contraception), but this is going too far.

Why wait 24 weeks..that is too late
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    A cleft palate is so not a serious disability.

But according to the doctors in the article it CAN in serious cases be life-threatening, and can take a lot of corrective surgery just so that the child can feed in a semi-normal way. I would assume that for the abortion to take place it would be serious, but besides which the dopey reverend doesnt KNOW how serious it was.

Also it depends how late the disability was noticed- it often isnt noticed till late, apparently.
  • Options
    Even if it is serious, I don't think that is a good enough reason to not bring a child that has been developing for 24 weeks into the world. There is nothing wrong with the childs mental abilities.

As far as I know, in the majority of cases, a cleft palate does not cause serious problems.

We are lucky in the UK, we have an excellent health service, anyone who says differently wants to go and try some other countries. Children born with disabilties are given the best treatment and it just makes me very sad that this happened.

Maybe I would feel differently if it was myself expecting a child but I feel that my child would be my child, whether they had health problems which required extra worry and risk, or not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    There is nothing wrong with the childs mental abilities.

But the mental aspect should not be the only determining factor- what if the child was born blind, deaf, mute and paraplegic?

Children born with disabilties are given the best treatment and it just makes me very sad that this happened.

It is very sad, but I suppose the deciding factor was if the best treatment would be good enough? I suppose it depends on severity, but I would trust the doctors judgement without evidence to the contrary.

Under normal circumstances I do agree though- eugenics is not a disability.

I feel that my child would be my child, whether they had health problems which required extra worry and risk, or not.

I would too, but I suppose again it comes down to not knowing the details of the case. Which means that someone who isnt party to it, such as an interfering reverend, shouldnt be issuing legal threats.

Its just tragic, but I suppose it depends on the facts. It only says after the 24-week deadline, it could only be a matter of days.
  • Options
    Sorry, no justification for an abortion in this instance, IMHO.

Still, nothing to do with this busybody either.
  • Options
    End of the day it was wrong to allow her to have a termination even if it was only days after the 24 week deadline.
    A cleft palate can be operated on, its not a life threatening illness. A good surgeon could make it look like new. Obviously with any operation their is a risk factor, but to abort it is wrong imo.
  • Options
    But can't certain foetal abnormalities only be picked up after a certain time? I'm a bit confused if anyone can help me (and my embryology books had to go back to the library :p )
  • Options
    24 weeks = six months, far too late to abort in my opinion.
  • Options
    I found this debate on livejournal a while back if anyone fancies a read, it's not up to date though. If you have another trawl through, they have some pretty interesting stuff on late term abortions, not forgetting GWB's intact D&X ban recently.

I'd rather read the doctors notes and the patients records before making any judgements though. Anyway, what's done is done, I'm sure there are many other people who could benefit from the reverends energy and help, it was World AIDS day yesterday afterall...
  • Options
    If i was pregnant and i found out that my child was going to be disabled tbh i would get an abortion. not if it was a phyical disablitily tho as i could cope with that, things can be made accessable and stuff. or if it was deaf i could cope too, cos i could just go on a sign course, but if i found out that my child would have a learning disablity i would have one. i know what its like to have a disability in the family cos my sister has autism, and i know i wouldnt be able to deal with him/her being like that.
    i think that anyone that has a child with LD is very strong and i have a lot of respect for them, i just know im not strong enough myself. which is sad in a way:(
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of getting rid of a child because it isn't perfect. A cleft palate is not disabling like it used to be. Doctors can do wonders.

I also wonder about what these people would do if a child became disabled after it was born. If they are after the perfect child, would they want to keep this one?

This is a troubling issue.
  • Options
    Saying a cleft palete isnt a serious condiction is quite wrong, I heard a senior childrens surgen interviewed on Radio Four yesterday and he said it is a very varied condiction.

Yes in most cases it isnt a very big thing but in some cases there is only a very small amount of skull be seperating the mouth from the rest of the brain needing multiple and serious surgury right through into when the kid is adolesant.
  • Options
    its interesting this has come up actually. my cousin was born with a cleft palet, it was actually quite bad but they sorted it all out and she's absolutely fine now. none of the other 4 children in her family had any problems. yet now, at 18 and nearly 5 months pregnant, she's just discovered that her own child has also not developed properly and has a problem called gastroschisis, where she has not developed properly and her intestines are growing outside of her body. meaning major surgery at GOSH as soon as she is born.

its quite possible that the baby could well be absolutely fine, and have no problems later in life, although there is an equal chance of it not turning out ok.

however she is continuing the pregnancy with no second thought, which i think is right.

If you could look into the future during your pregnancy and know that you're child was going to be killed at 5 years old by a peadophile, and cause you all the heartache and traumer that it will, would you have it terminated?
  • Options
    we have a home secretary who is blind. the baby with the cleft pallet could have been the greatest prime minister we would ever see.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi *waves* I only just found this board. I'm quite interested in politics and the government and stuff, so I've been flicking through the posts, but this one really interested me.

I think aborting the disabled is acceptable in extreme cases, but a cleft palate is usually easily corrected, isn't it? If a child was going to suffer, and not have a very long, or a good life, then I'd say abortion was something worth considering, because to havree child would just cause pain and heartache for the parents, and for the child. A cleft plalate isn't often a life threatening condition, so I don't see why the mother wanted an abortion. At risk of sounding heartless, perhaps she's one of these people who can't live with deformities?

Argh.. perhaps I should just go now. Call me an idiot - Duck xx
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    or it could have been the cause of the mother's suicide after discovering that she couldn't cope with caring for her baby.
    i think you'll find that rare enough as to be counted as not happening. most mothers of disabled kids discover they have a very demanding child and young adult as they grow. most mothers have a very rewrding experience and more often than not i believe the child does as well.
  • Options
  • Options
    but neither you, nor i, nor this curate know that. if the mother doesn't feel up to caring for a disabled baby i think that she will ultimately know better than anyone else who she'll react to it.

Its not disabled, facial disfigurement yes (until it has an op), but not a disabled baby.
    what would she do if when the baby was born and reached the age of 5 years old and the child had Rehumatoid Arthritis (sp) which is a very painful disablement ?
  • Options
  • Options
    we don't know how serious the cleft was, therefore we don't know how seriously the baby would have been disabled.

A cleft palate can not make someone be classed as being disabled.
    Regardless of the ifs and buts here this termination was after 24 weeks and should never have been allowed IMO
  • Options
    i feel very torn on this issue. On one hand I am extremely pro-choice, on the other hand, I find the whole idea of late abortions very sad. The big problem is, that you cant even find out about problems like these until the 20 week scan, so its not as if she would have known about the problems for a long time. Cleft palate can be severe, and if its a bilateral complete cleft palate, then it can mean the whole upper lip area is missing and there is basically a hig hole in the middle of the face between the nose and bottom lip. I am not sure that I would terminate for that reason, but I think nobody knows what they would do until they are in that position themself. I wont judge this woman as we know nothing about her or her reasons, and we also know nothing about the severity of the deformity. She obviously thought long and hard about it, and she would have had counselling. I bet she`ll need more counselling now its been all over the papers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    A cleft palate can not make someone be classed as being disabled.

But it *is* a severe incapacioty, or it can be. Most cleft palates are not, but I seriously doubt that a doctor made this decision for shits n giggles.

Regardless of the ifs and buts here this termination was after 24 weeks and should never have been allowed IMO

So if it had been 3 minutes before the deadline it would have been perfectly acceptable, but not three minutes after it? Care to justify that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    But it *is* a severe incapacioty, or it can be. Most cleft palates are not, but I seriously doubt that a doctor made this decision for shits n giggles.

So if it had been 3 minutes before the deadline it would have been perfectly acceptable, but not three minutes after it? Care to justify that?

Yes it is servere im not disputing that, what im saying is that you are not disabled with it. You can have an operation maybe 3 or 4 even but afterwards you will run a normal life.

At the end of the day it was done after 24 weeks so there you have it, when you can tell me exactly when it was done then I may be able to give you more of an opinion, but because I dont know wether it was 3 mins, 3 days or 3 weeks after I cannot comment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Yes it is servere im not disputing that, what im saying is that you are not disabled with it. You can have an operation maybe 3 or 4 even but afterwards you will run a normal life.

At the end of the day it was done after 24 weeks so there you have it, when you can tell me exactly when it was done then I may be able to give you more of an opinion, but because I dont know wether it was 3 mins, 3 days or 3 weeks after I cannot comment.

But Becky, the law is that an abortion can be comitted after 24 weeks if there is a serious abnormality or threat to the mothers life.

And the point is that a cleft palate CAN be a serious abnormality, a respected paediatrician even said so in the article, so if that is the case then the abortion was legal. Im sure the doctor would not have performed it without it being serious, because it *is* illegal.

Though this busybody reverend should be ashamed of herself. I would be.
  • Options
    The reason the 'busybody' got involved was because she herself was born with a cleft palate and had corrective surgery for it, and now leads a completely normal life.
  • Options
    personnally if i found out i was having a disable baby, i would probably abort it, it would seriously hinder my life and the babies, its just not fair, and i might get flamed for that but thats my choice, i think people should be allowed to make their own choices without people telling them what they should do

and on gmtv i was watching about the minister woman, they said that cleft pallate can lead to other very serious disabilites
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    The reason the 'busybody' got involved was because she herself was born with a cleft palate and had corrective surgery for it, and now leads a completely normal life.

No, thats just an excuse.

It had nothing to do with her. To drag it into the public domain, with no consideration for the mothers feelings, smacks of selfish dogma in the face of human compassion.

And thats the trouble with religion generally.
  • Options
    If someone was 24 weeks pregnant and they went into early labour and the labour could not be stopped there is a chance that it could survive.
    Im not against termination so please dont take this the wrong way, but at 24 weeks I dont see a foetus I see a fully formed baby and to me it really is like murder, for the fact that it is fully formed. Obviously I know someone will throw something at me because of what I have just said, but this is how I feel and I just cant accept that someone could have a baby terminated at 24 weeks for the reason she did.