Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Aladdin's edification...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    My mom: Jihad ze milchemet Mitzva :p

Meaning Jihad is a fight which is counted on a good deed. That means that when Muslim leaders tell their people to start a Jihad against western society, the people are expected to join this and are condoned flying planes into the WTC.

It's a higher form of fight/war in the muslim mind, when the word Jihad gets involved.

This is ignorant rubbish. There are lots of differing strands of Islam. As I said, to say that all Muslims support a war against the west is as stupid as saying that all Catholics support the IRA.
  • Options
    Has he claimed to? Has he brought his christianity into this?
    He isn't the one commiting suicide and taking civilians with him into death while praying to God!

:rolleyes:

You're doing a grand job of missing the point.

Christians kill in the name of religion. Does this mean that all Christians are murderers?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    And I told him that I do and that his concept is wrong.

Whats your point?

"His" (it isn't him who's invented it) concept isn't wrong, when it's the one which we've seen several muslims worldwide embrace.

My point with what?
  • Options
    This is ignorant rubbish.

Ignorant rubbish which was doublechecked in a university teachingbook for lingual studies of arabic :rolleyes:
  • Options
    "His" (it isn't him who's invented it) concept isn't wrong, when it's the one which we've seen several muslims worldwide embrace.

My point with what?

Your point with what you're saying. The term Jihad gets wrongly reported in the media as meaning "holy war". It doesn't mean this, but its obvious thats what Globe thinks it does mean.

So whats your point?
  • Options
    and if the jews kept stealing my land and building walls across my farm ...i'd fight the bastards with whatever i had at my disposal that might work against such powerful and violent people.
  • Options
    Ignorant rubbish which was doublechecked in a university teachingbook for lingual studies of arabic :rolleyes:

Doesn't mean that you know what it means in respect of ordinary Muslim's beliefs. Try talking to some.
  • Options
    :rolleyes:

You're doing a grand job of missing the point.

Christians kill in the name of religion. Does this mean that all Christians are murderers?

Have I stated that all Muslims are murderers? The parallel you're drawing there is not based on anything which I have said.

My point is, that Jihad does in the context of current world affair gets used as a holy fight against the ideologies of the western world.

Anything else which needs clarification.
  • Options
    Doesn't mean that you know what it means in respect of ordinary Muslim's beliefs. Try talking to some.

Who was talking about ordinary muslims? I was talking about the actions commited of terrorists in the name of Islam.

For your information I am interacting with Muslims daily. Having more to do with them than some of my classmates.
    But I guess my points are stillunvalid and rubbish.

Cause I not only get them from authorised books, I get them from the people I know as well :eek:
  • Options
    He isn't the one commiting suicide and taking civilians with him into death while praying to God!

This statement, in the context of this thread, seems to imply that you think that all Muslims support the actions of a small minority.
    As do Globe's statements. My point about Jihad is that Globe doesn't have a fucking clue what he's talking about. Neither do you by the looks of it.

From
    http://www.oneummah.net/faq/index.php?op=view&t=29
    Jihad [sometimes referred to as the sixth pillar of Islam] is to strive against evil, wherever it is found.
    The best jihad is to stuggle against one's own evil and unrighteous inclinations. To strive to be the best person one can possibly be. For to overcome external enemies while leaving one's own heart steeped in iniquity, is pointless.

From
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/glossary/term.JIHAD.html
    It is an Arabic word the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad, and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavor, strain, exertion, effort, diligence, fighting to defend one's life, land, and religion.

Jihad should not be confused with Holy War; the latter does not exist in Islam nor will Islam allow its followers to be involved in a Holy War. The latter refers to the Holy War of the Crusaders.

Jihad is not a war to force the faith on others, as many people think of it. It should never be interpreted as a way of compulsion of the belief on others, since there is an explicit verse in the Qur'an that says:"There is no compulsion in religion" Al-Qur'an: Al-Baqarah (2:256).

Jihad is not a defensive war only, but a war against any unjust regime. If such a regime exists, a war is to be waged against the leaders, but not against the people of that country. People should be freed from the unjust regimes and influences so that they can freely choose to believe in Allah.

Not only in peace but also in war Islam prohibits terrorism, kidnapping, and hijacking, when carried against civilians. Whoever commits such violations is considered a murderer in Islam, and is to be punished by the Islamic state. during wars, Islam prohibits Muslim soldiers from harming civilians, women, children, elderly, and the religious men like priests and rabies. It also prohibits cutting down trees and destroying civilian constructions.
  • Options
    As said, Jihad is a fight to achieve a goal. And is counted as a good deed.
    How far off was that from your websites?

Wether or not hijacking, kidnapping etc. is allowed or not, it is still done in the name of islam, and therefore goes under the name Islamic Extremism.

When Jihad is used by muslim leaders worldwide, against the west, it does imply that the war is holy and that it is expected to join it.
  • Options
    Look - the context in which Globe originally used the term, and his later comment about Muslims lying to unbelievers, implies that he believes that all Muslims interpret Jihad to mean a violent holy war against the west. I'm pointing out that this is not true, in fact that Jihad is more about internal struggle. You defended Globe's pov, which makes you just as ignorant as him.

[edited to add]
    Just because a tiny minority of Muslims have misappropriated a term for their own violent ends, does not mean that that is the true meaning.
    Same as just because a tiny minority of Christians use the Bible to justify the persecution of homosexuals, this does not mean that that is the true message of the bible.
  • Options
    Do you know any Muslims? And even if it does say that in the Koran, so what? Do you follow everything the Bible says?

Affirmative. I know many Muslims.

I also know Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Catholics, Protestants, atheists, and plain old garden variety ignorants...

Your "so what?" commentary? Affirms you are in ignorance of that wish you wish to discuss... or simply... pontificate from ignorance.

Take your own advice, and read a little. Come back when you might address the conversation, from a perspective of other than your prejudice and ignorance.

For your edification, I have friends who Israelis, and Palestinians. And I separate the person from the beliefs. However, I am not ignorant as to the specifics of their beliefs.
  • Options
    You defended Globe's pov, which makes you just as ignorant as him.

Currently you're the ignorant one, when openly presuming what hasn't been stated by me.
  • Options
    ... but its obvious thats what Globe thinks it does mean.

You obviously have not a clue as to what I think, nor why.

You prefer to observe through the taint of your personal prejudice, and ignorance.

So be it...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    I am not ignorant as to the specifics of their beliefs.

You quite blatantly are.
  • Options
    You obviously have not a clue as to what I think, nor why.

You prefer to observe through the taint of your personal prejudice, and ignorance.

So be it...

Well learn to communicate better then. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jihad means struggle ...so if it's a friggin holy jihad then it's a holy struggle ...a struggle against us with whatever means they may have at their dissposal.
  • Options
    You quite blatantly are.

The question, again...

HAVE YOU READ THE KORAN???

Yes or no?

Do you know what you are talking about... same answer, please...

So...just exactly whom is it who defines "ignorance"?
  • Options
    Yes thanks. Have you?

You seem to be implying that there is only one interpretation of Islam. There isn't, there are many.
  • Options
    Seeing as the US has been guilty of killing far more people since 9/11 in military conflicts than actually died in the WTC, then yes, I do think they should get over it.

But did the US go into the war with the intent on killing Innocent people? No. Did Bin Laden plan the 9/11 attacks to kill innocent people? Yes. The first casualty of war is innocence. You can't always help killing innocent people.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Just a reminder people, please don't get personal. Base your arguments on what is said not who says it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    But did the US go into the war with the intent on killing Innocent people? No. Did Bin Laden plan the 9/11 attacks to kill innocent people? Yes. The first casualty of war is innocence. You can't always help killing innocent people.

Innocence is relative isn't it? I'm sure from Bin Laden's pov, people working for big business and finance in the WTC weren't innocent (I don't agree with this, just making a point).
    And actually I think the US forces have killed thousands of innocent people in Afghanistan and Iraq, not to mention all the other countries they've bombed or invaded over the past 40 years, or all the coups they've supported, all the massacres they've turned a blind eye to, all the oppresive regimes they've armed or all the people that have died of starvation or inadequate labour/environmental laws due to the Wests unfair trade rules.

Bhopal anyone?
  • Options
    Do your "Muslim friends" also tell you that they are taught to lie to "non-believers"?

You expose your gullibility... :rolleyes:

Not to mention your ignorance.

Does being a Muslim make you a liar then?

I've met some lovely Muslims, Buddhists, I have a friend who's Jewish and know a few Christians of different denomination and I myself am pagan. I've never found any grouping to be more prone to lies.
    For your edification, I have friends who Israelis, and Palestinians. And I separate the person from the beliefs. However, I am not ignorant as to the specifics of their beliefs.

So it says something in the Qu'ran about lying to non believers? Or was that like... a joke I'm not getting? because in another post of yours you made what appeared to me like a generalisation about followers of Islam.

Indeed there are terrorist attacks all over the world, I dunno why 9/11 got so much hype either to be honest... Ok, it was a big building and all... *shrugs*

Definition of terrorism - The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

So maybe war is terrorism too? As for killing innocents, I think the clusterbombs used in Iraq recently did that knowingly. I mean weapons like that kill indiscriminantly and lie dormant for years, I think personally that, knowing the risks of injury to innocents when using such weapons... well to me it's knowingly killing somebody, homocide so to speak.
    And actually I think the US forces have killed thousands of innocent people in Afghanistan and Iraq, not to mention all the other countries they've bombed or invaded over the past 40 years, or all the coups they've supported, all the massacres they've turned a blind eye to, all the oppresive regimes they've armed or all the people that have died of starvation or inadequate labour/environmental laws due to the Wests unfair trade rules.

It's funny how a country claims to be pro-human rights, but sells killing machines to other countries. Am I to believe that the USA has at some point funded the IRA? Just a note... anyway.

So which country to invade next? A lot of countries have human rights issues.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Paratrooper
    Seems that some have missed the point completely.....sad, truly sad.
    And on another note, greetings from across the pond.

Feel free to expand on those comments
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

It's funny how a country claims to be pro-human rights, but sells killing machines to other countries.

Speaking of Britain, there? ;)

Careful... might find yourself waist deep in an hypocrisy...
  • Options
    great comeback :rolleyes:
  • Options
    He is right.

As a British person there is little justification for attacking the American govt without realsisation that the govt that the British have voted for is similar in many ways, including their hypocrisy on arms sales.........
  • Options
    I thought we were all aware of that... Tories, New Labour... as bad as each other.

Hell, at least the Tories didn't pretend to favour 'ethical' foreign policy... unlike Blair and co. who claim the moral high ground and want to be seen as a caring, ethical government while selling arms to brutal regimes (often while they're at war with each other), wage illegal wars and ignore international law.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I thought we were all aware of that... Tories, New Labour... as bad as each other.

Not necessarily, I am sure there are many who will demonise the US and in particular its foreign policy and will still vote for New Labour in the next election...........