Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Under the weather...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Recently I have been feeling a bit depressed for the following reasons:

1.Uni work is piling up and I feel I have a huge amount to do in a matter of weeks.

2.I live in a house of three and the other two seem to be getting closer and I feel im the outsider, my room is on the ground floor and they are both upstairs and they will often talk to each other and ignore me.

3.I am supposed to be applying for a job for next year when I graduate but I have no idea what want to do and dont want to dissapoint people and take a gap year,

4. I dont feel I have that many friends at uni, I have many more at home, I always feel much happier when Im at home.

I have been eating loads of bad food etc so feeling pretty sick of myself, bloated and generally unhappy.

Please help.

Comments

• Options
    Hi hun. Right, here's the advice I can come up with:
    Uni work is piling up and I feel I have a huge amount to do in a matter of weeks
    - You need to set yourself aside time to work. I know it's really hard, but if you can get into a routine of daily work, maybe going to the library or whatever, it'll help. You could speak to your personal tutor if you're really having trouble getting it done, I'm sure they'd try and help. And just think, in a few weeks this load will be out of the way. If I have loads of work to do, I try and put it into achievable chunks, and know that in, say, two weeks I'll be able to have a few free days to have fun in.
    I am supposed to be applying for a job for next year when I graduate but I have no idea what want to do and dont want to dissapoint people and take a gap year
    - Don't worry about dissapointing people, it's your life. If you want a gap year then go for it. Or you could take a job, even if it's not your choice of future career, just to get a bit of money, and just take time to think about the future. It'd give you a bit of experience of the working world. Does your uni have a career help place? If so, get yourself along there and take up as much of their time as you can!
    I dont feel I have that many friends at uni, I have many more at home, I always feel much happier when Im at home
    - Do you belong to societies and stuff like that? That can be a really good way of meeting people. And I know it can feel difficult, but make a bit of an effort with people and it can pay off. I know that I sometimes write people off and think they're not my type of person, but after going out with them a few times I've changed my mind. And if you have a close friend, tell them how you're feeling, maybe they can try and help out a bit.
    Hope some of that helped! Good luck hun, hugs, Tates x
  • Options
    Re: Under the weather...
    Originally posted by miztas
    Hi,

2.I live in a house of three and the other two seem to be getting closer and I feel im the outsider, my room is on the ground floor and they are both upstairs and they will often talk to each other and ignore me.

presumably you chose to live with thm because you're friends? it may seem like theyre ignoring you but theyre not. when people are on the same floor or have rooms next to each other they will talk to them more than they would go downstairs and knock on your door. its just because its easier, not because they like you any less. of course they will get closer because they see each other more. thats why you need to make an effort and go up and see them. it might seem like 'oh why should i have to upstairs to see them all the time, they should come down to see me.' but unless you want to continue feeling lonely, you will have to make more effort.

there are 4floors in my house and im on the bottom. i know if it wasnt for the shared kitchen or living room i would barely see anyone coz i simply cannot be arsed to walk up all those steep stairs. maybe you and your friends could hang out in the living room more? suggest watching a video or something.x
  • Options
    Thanks

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will try to take your advice!