Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Well Done

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I for one would much rather see a set of fans abroad clowning around with painted faces, "swimming" in puddle of water on the street for a laugh or any other such nonsense, like we saw the Scottish do, than a bunch of fat, bare-chested tattooed idiots singing "if it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts", giving Nazi salutes and provoking and insulting opposition fans and passers-by in the hope that there will be an off.

And it seems everyone else in the Continent thinks likewise.

Eeveryone knows a lot of wankers follow England but I am not having this everyone on the continent is better shite. You ever been to the Netherlands? They have exactly the same problems, I would say violence between their club sides is at least equal to England ten years ago.

Fact is whenever any team gets drawn to play England certain sections of the support decides this is their big chance to make a name for themselves and go looking for trouble accordingly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop

Scotland and England have a football culture, the atmosphere used to be the best in the world, but now its being destroyed by all this dressing up, kids rubbish. Its a Euro away ffs, is nothing going to be spared 'Sky' culture?

I agree with you to a point.

The general atmosphere is being ruined by a lack of competition. It happens in Scotland, and it's sapping down to England. Even in Europe, I'd imagine it's not always easy to get excited about a walkover game against Panathanikos on a Tuesday night? That, to me, is much more of an issue than "wankers" dressing up and having a bit of banter with the locals. Surely that kind of thing helps build atmospheres. and gets people more passionate about the whole thing?

BTW, are you against kids going to football completely? Surely getting kids interested in going to the football is important, and if they want to get their faces painted and go to the game head to toe in red, then it's OK?

Remember, today's kids are tomorrow's adult fans. Might not make that much of a difference at a club like yours, but even at a lot of Premiership clubs, any attempts to get kids interested, passionate, and going to the game, then it's all good.
  • Options
    Panathanikos at home on a Tuesday night is not the most exciting game of the season, the atmosphere at Old Trafford tends to depend on which stand you in. Night games aren't really a problem, due to everyone having plenty of time for a few pints.

In my opinion the problem lies with the new fan, Mr and Mrs 4 wheel drive BMW from Wilmslow with three kids in the back, these are the ones who tend to come in full facial paint with flashing devil head gear (because its nearly Christmas). First port of call, the megastore. After buying a load of shite its into the stadium, clambering up stairs with six bags each, they finally are directed to their seats by a steward. The times 11.30am (we only do 12.30 kick offs now, cheers sky). They've got an hour get comfortable in the stadium, this is their first visit to the 'Theatre of Dreams' despite the fact that Mr and Mrs Wilmslow are lifelong United fans (since 96 anyway, although Mr Wilmslow always used to look out for the Liverpool scores).

Throughout the match, Mr Wilmslow tells anyone who dares to stand up to sit down, afterall, this is a football match! Anyone who tries to get some songs started is stared at like an alien by the whole Wilmslow family, except Mrs Wilmslow, shes busy reading a novel and shes brought some knitting to do for the second half (I have seen these examples with my own eyes in recent seasons). Its the 70th minute, United are losing 0-2. After moaning about the shit performance its time to go, Mr Wilmslow is heard mentioning something about it being "time for Fergie to go, hes lost it" on the way out.

While these ****s got five tickets for their big day out, five real reds who would have sung throughout the game and always stay til the end, regardless of the score (its called support) had to watch in the pub.

That was quite a long rant but it pisses me off, makes me very fucking angry.

I am not against kids getting dressed up going to the match, everyone does that when they're younger. I do think that numbers of free tickets should be set aside for local schools, its the only decent thing that such a rich club like United can do. I also think its the only thing that will retain our large local support in 30 years. Its been noticed that local kids are having to go to Bury, Oldham, Alty to see a match as they can't afford/or get a ticket at Old Trafford. If United was ever to return to the dark days of 26 years without a championship, you can bet that Mr and Mrs Wilmslow won't be around to support the club, then the club would need the lads from Salford, Stretford, Chorlton, thats the future of our support.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    But time and time again it's the English fans who are the troublemakers. It wasn't us who almost got kicked out of Euro 2004 because our sections of our fans didn't know how to behave.

Whoa, let's get this into perspective.

We are talking about a minority of English fans, let's not forget that.

Then let's look at the reception they get. United travelled to Italy last year and the Italian police attacked them rather than the other way around. Did it make the press?

Look at how Liverpool fans were treated in Rome the year before Heysel - that was a major contributor to what eventually happened at Heysel.

I'm not condoning what English fans have done in the past but I do think that we need to remember that there are two sides to every story...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

We are talking about a minority of English fans, let's not forget that.

Not denying that. And yeah, the hooligan elemnt is a tiny minority. But a tiny minority is often enough to get the FA into serious shit.

Look at the Turkey game in Sunderland. You could clearly hear chants of "I would rather be a Paki than a Turk". Again, it was probably a minority, and a lot of them probably didn't think about it. Then there was the few fans who jumped onto the pitch when England scored. Might seem quite irrelevant to some, but it's things like that that millions across Europe see, and hence the England fans get tarred with being rowdy and all that.

Most countries do manage to take fans to away games, come back and there's no problem. And I'm not denying that the majority of England away games, there's hardly a problem at all. Or that this kind of behaviour is an exclusively English problem, because it isn't.

But it still happens. We hear time and time again that the FA are clamping down, but sometimes you wonder if there's much more they can do. It's down to people's attitudes to change, and until the English fans lose the tag of "a fight waiting to happen", then there's always gonna be provokation.

And if some big foreigner is giving out abuse and all that, fans need to walk away. Easy to say, but in places like Slovakia where perhaps they aren't educated about racism and things as we are, there's always gonna be a problem if there's this "hooligan" tag attactched.
  • Options
    All the shite you lot have just said about not liking people with painted faces. We're out there having fun. (This is the Scots I'm talking about). We're not trying to look good and win the thing, we're trying to have fun, get drunk, prance about in our kilts and just generally enjoy ourselves with the locals. That's the difference between us and England - you lot are cocky wee buggers, thinking yourselves above talking to the locals because, ofcourse, you think you're going to win. It would help if you lot lightened up a little bit. Then your fans wouldn't get so stressed and violent when you didn't win.

(I'm fully expecting the Scots to concede a 92nd minute goal tonight, leaving us trailing 2-0 and so losing. I still plan to support my country :D)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite

Look at the Turkey game in Sunderland. You could clearly hear chants of "I would rather be a Paki than a Turk". Again, it was probably a minority, and a lot of them probably didn't think about it. Then there was the few fans who jumped onto the pitch when England scored. Might seem quite irrelevant to some, but it's things like that that millions across Europe see, and hence the England fans get tarred with being rowdy and all that.

How the fuck do you expect people to react after two Leeds fans were killed in Istanbul and fuck all happens?
    All the shite you lot have just said about not liking people with painted faces. We're out there having fun. (This is the Scots I'm talking about). We're not trying to look good and win the thing, we're trying to have fun, get drunk, prance about in our kilts and just generally enjoy ourselves with the locals.

No thats just me.

Did you know football existed before 1998?