Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Well Done

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Just wanted to say well done to us Scots for a fantastic first leg result. :)

Can someone tell me if it was a good game or not. I can't remember seeing it. Been drinking since 8pm Friday night :D;)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Great result, it was a good game but the scots hung on well.
    Holland really started to pepper the Scot Goal.
    Hope you beat them!

Well done to Wales too, Russia scored 4 goals agaist every team in the group stage in Russia (ie: Ireland and Swiss etc)
    We were just shit against them- good luck to sparky too!
  • Options
    Re: Well Done
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Just wanted to say well done to us Scots for a fantastic first leg result. :)

:thumb:

Still think it's gonna be hard in Amsterdam (ahem), but we've got permanent smiles on our faces for now so it's all good.

Annoyed by the patronising English commentators making a point of how much they want Scotland and Wales to get through.

They should get the message. No, however much you patronise the fuck out of us, we don't want you to win the rugby :rolleyes: :mad:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Well Done
    Originally posted by Bri-namite

Annoyed by the patronising English commentators making a point of how much they want Scotland and Wales to get through.

I fucking hate that! Especially when children's TV presenters say "Good luck England and also good luck to Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland!" Pisses the hell out of me! I know Northern Ireland are gonna get thrashed or draw a depressing scoreless tie against some piss poor former soviet bloc country, they should too! :mad:
  • Options
    You sad b*stards. Why is it patronising?? I'm English but I want Scotland, Wales and Ireland to do well at international level, so does that make me a patronising c*nt.

We're all from the british isles at the end of the day.

Or is it a bit of Jealousy I can detect? Because England are better than you?

Sorry but people saying stuff like this pisses me off because I genuinely want Scotland, Wales and Ireland to well in sport. Not better than England like but I want them to do well and if I watch them on TV I am always supporting them. :mad:
  • Options
    we've got permanent smiles on our faces for now so it's all good.

What made it even better was the fact that England lost on Sunday :)

But it doesn't really matter cause it's only a friendly. BUT if they had of won 8-0 then all we would be hearing how great they are and how they are gonna win the Euro championships and the world cup. And solve the crisis in the Middle East. And be the first on Mars.
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss

We know England are better than us. Simple fact. But it doesn't make me jealous. There are far better teams than England.

The difference between the Scots and the English is that we know our limits. We know we'll never win the world cup. You expect to win everything when you simply ain't up to the task.

England have a few great players that make you a good team. Other teams have exceptional players that make them great teams.

No offence ;)
  • Options
    You sad b*stards. Why is it patronising?? I'm English but I want Scotland, Wales and Ireland to do well at international level, so does that make me a patronising c*nt.

It just makes them feel like the small timers that they are, because no matter how hard they tried they couldn't bring themselves to want England to win anything. Inferiority complex.

I want Scotland and Wales to qualify tomorrow, Fletcher at Scotland, Giggs and Sparky at Wales. Its all good. I don't think England will win Euro 2004.

In the Rugby World cup I've wanted England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland to do well. The captains of the other teams have said if they can't win it they hope England do, I doubt the majority of their fellow countrymen do.

Very sad behaviour. Not that I expected anything else.
  • Options
    :thumb:

Still think it's gonna be hard in Amsterdam (ahem), but we've got permanent smiles on our faces for now so it's all good.

They should get the message. No, however much you patronise the fuck out of us, we don't want you to win the rugby :rolleyes: :mad:

I don't want Scotland to get through cos they're are a poor football team and all they do is slate the English.
    It would be nice for Wales to have a chance.
    I don't think England will win Euro 2004
    But if people support you stop throwing it back in their faces.
    Jealously pure and simple again zzzzz boring heard it all before you can't win with scots. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [BAnnoyed by the patronising English commentators making a point of how much they want Scotland and Wales to get through.[/B]

Not so much patronising as a recognition that their programmes go out accross the country - and aren't just limited to England.

Personally I don't care if they get through, just as I don't care about any other nation. They aren't Ebgland, so why should it matter to me. Other than the thought that we would at least have one "easy" game if drawn against them ;):p
  • Options
    I don't think England will win the Euro championships, I hope we do, just like everyone in the country but we would have to play outstandingly throughout the tournament and get the run of the ball to win it.

It is possible though and with a bit of luck (which is nearly always needed for anyone) we have a chance.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Well Done
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Not so much patronising as a recognition that their programmes go out accross the country - and aren't just limited to England.

Fair point, but it does seem to us that the only time the likes of Motson mention the likes of us, is at times like this. We're lucky if we get a qucik mention during the rest of the time.

A bit like the BBC covergae of the FA Cup. It feels like the same "Bless them, aren't they doing well" attitude that is usually reserved for the likes of Accrington Stanley and Nobody Utd is being used for the Scots and the Welsh.

But hey, that's what local TV is for.

Personally I don't care if they get through, just as I don't care about any other nation. They aren't Ebgland, so why should it matter to me. Other than the thought that we would at least have one "easy" game if drawn against them ;):p

To be hinest, that's exactly what I'd rather hear, rather than all this nonsense about supporting us.

We don't want your support, and I doubt that you lot are really that arsed about whther we support you lot either. Rivalry is what football is all about. See how many Liverpool fans would actively support the opposition when Man United played in Europe, it's exactly the same thing here.

No, not jealousy.

Fact of the matter is, Scotland don't waltz about pretending to be world beaters. Not doubting England have a wide range of more talented players, but Scotland are now making a hell of a lot more out of what we've got.

When we lose, as we might well do on Wednesday, we'll be gutted, yet we'll still go out and paint the town blue, and we can be proud of ourselves no matter what happens.

You lot, on the other hand, build yourselves up so much that when you get put in your rightful place, then it's always down to the cheating Argies, or the scummy diving Germans. England always seem to have a giant chip on their shoulder about something, and it's fucking funny to sit up here and watch.

At least when we lose, we know how to deal with it. Usually it's because we're shite, or sometimes unlucky. If the English would hold their hands up, and say we were beaten and maybe we aren't as superior as we think, you might lose the arrogant tag.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Well Done

At least when we lose, we know how to deal with it. Usually it's because we're shite, or sometimes unlucky. If the English would hold their hands up, and say we were beaten and maybe we aren't as superior as we think, you might lose the arrogant tag.

You can blame the media for building up England's hopes, I'm sure most English people are more realistic.
  • Options

We don't want your support, and I doubt that you lot are really that arsed about whther we support you lot either. Rivalry is what football is all about. See how many Liverpool fans would actively support the opposition when Man United played in Europe, it's exactly the same thing here.

I would argue it's more political than rivalry with England/Scotland
    just like that Rangers/Celtic nonsense is more than just football.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well Done
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I would argue it's more political than rivalry with England/Scotland
    just like that Rangers/Celtic nonsense is more than just football.

I don't disagree with that. When you think about it, so much in football today is related to off the pitch stuff. It's probably a mixture of rivalry, politics and a bit of resentment thrown in for good measure.

But it's all meant in good humour. Like we don't actually hate the English poplulation, we just think it's funny when they lose. If the English didn't all get so uppity about it, maybe we'd back off a bit.

Or maybe not :p

And I'm with you on the Rangers/Celtic nonsense. Should be clamped down on, because that is proper hatred.
  • Options
    No, not jealousy.

Fact of the matter is, Scotland don't waltz about pretending to be world beaters. Not doubting England have a wide range of more talented players, but Scotland are now making a hell of a lot more out of what we've got.

When we lose, as we might well do on Wednesday, we'll be gutted, yet we'll still go out and paint the town blue, and we can be proud of ourselves no matter what happens.

You lot, on the other hand, build yourselves up so much that when you get put in your rightful place, then it's always down to the cheating Argies, or the scummy diving Germans. England always seem to have a giant chip on their shoulder about something, and it's fucking funny to sit up here and watch.

Well Said Bri :thumb:
  • Options
    A bit like the BBC covergae of the FA Cup. It feels like the same "Bless them, aren't they doing well" attitude that is usually reserved for the likes of Accrington Stanley and Nobody Utd is being used for the Scots and the Welsh.

Yeah, I notice it too and I'm not even a Jock or Taff.

That said, I'll bet that the Accrington supporters get pissed off as well.
    To be hinest, that's exactly what I'd rather hear, rather than all this nonsense about supporting us.

Spot on. Don't give me this crap about caring if another nation wins any event. I get bored with the World Cup/Euro when England go out. Who cares who wins after that?

What really pisses me off is that the media seem to think that we should support Eire. I can understand the UK aspect with Scotland and Wales but why should we support Ireland?

I'm English, why should I ever want anyone else to win?
    Fact of the matter is, Scotland don't waltz about pretending to be world beaters.

*cough*

"We're on the way wi' Ally's Army, we're going to the Argentine..."

Or worse 1967.

Even though the Argies do cheat and the Germans do dive ;)
  • Options
    I bet the population of Amsterdam is loving all the pissed up wankers wearing skirts and silly hats telling everyone how great they're support is. Nobody ever gets arrested you know, and they always swap scarves with the opposition fans. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    I bet the population of Amsterdam is loving all the pissed up wankers wearing skirts and silly hats telling everyone how great they're support is. Nobody ever gets arrested you know, and they always swap scarves with the opposition fans. :rolleyes:

Which has to be better than having half of your pub strewn across a plaza and your best ashtrays lodged in someones head.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well Done

What really pisses me off is that the media seem to think that we should support Eire. I can understand the UK aspect with Scotland and Wales but why should we support Ireland?

Couldn't agree more, Ireland are not part of Britain, we may as well say be saying good luck to France. I'm sure they don't want England's good luck messages.
  • Options

Damn right.

I'm sure the good people of Marseille are glad they got you lot throwing chairs and chanting racist shite instead :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Which has to be better than having half of your pub strewn across a plaza and your best ashtrays lodged in someones head.

Doesn't happen when United are in Europe.

I don't like the ingerlund wankers but at least they don't travel around trying to be everyones best friend like the 'Tartan Army', Ireland, Celtic.
  • Options
    Doesn't happen when United are in Europe.

I don't like the ingerlund wankers but at least they don't travel around trying to be everyones best friend like the 'Tartan Army', Ireland, Celtic.

The Scottish. Welsh & Irish, as well as the English can all be piss head trouble makers when they go abroad if you ask me.
  • Options

But what is wrong with that. Is the future of football not with the younger generation? What is wrong with fans getting on with other sets of fans. It is your kind of attitude that doesn't allow football to move on.

It is folk like you that discourage me from taking my kid to football games.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well Done
    we may as well say be saying good luck to France.

You know, I'm amazed that you even managed to type those last four words together.

I've got four that would go with it. Over. My. Dead. Body.
  • Options
    But what is wrong with that. Is the future of football not with the younger generation? What is wrong with fans getting on with other sets of fans. It is your kind of attitude that doesn't allow football to move on.

It is folk like you that discourage me from taking my kid to football games.

I haven't got a problem with opposing fans getting on. Why do they have to paint their face, wear a silly hat, have a skirt on etc This isn't just a dig at Scots, its about modern support in general. I am not talking about kids dressing up like this, if your under 16 I suppose you get away with it, but tomorrow night before the game the tv will be showing fat, bald 50 year olds dancing around dressed like this.
  • Options
    The Scottish. Welsh & Irish, as well as the English can all be piss head trouble makers when they go abroad if you ask me.

Yes, they can. But we know how to behave.

But time and time again it's the English fans who are the troublemakers. It wasn't us who almost got kicked out of Euro 2004 because our sections of our fans didn't know how to behave.

It wasn't us whose players were ticked off for celberating with our fans, incase it kicked off a riot.

At least with the Scottish and the Welsh, 99% of the media attention is focused on what happens on the pitch. Not hooliganism, a moronic FA, or whatever else.
  • Options
    At least with the Scottish and the Welsh, 99% of the media attention is focused on what happens on the pitch. Not hooliganism, a moronic FA, or whatever else.

I think you've just hit the nail on the head.

Any attention Scottish fans get away from the pitch is all about being wankers.
  • Options
    I haven't got a problem with opposing fans getting on. Why do they have to paint their face, wear a silly hat, have a skirt on etc This isn't just a dig at Scots, its about modern support in general. I am not talking about kids dressing up like this, if your under 16 I suppose you get away with it, but tomorrow night before the game the tv will be showing fat, bald 50 year olds dancing around dressed like this.

Because it's a laugh. Because it's our identity. Because we know fine well we aint gonna win, so we may as well make our mark while we're there :p

Your lot are all painting your faces white Down Under at the mo, it's just a laugh for God's sake.

Fair enough if it seems a bit odd to the non-Scotsman. I personally wouldn't be seen dead in a kilt, no matter where I was. But it's not something that really needs to be adressed to any great degree.

Dunno about you, but even if I was English, I'd rather be amongst good-humoured people like that, than a bunch of drunken morons throwing chairs and chanting about how much they hate whichever race/country they happen to hate at the time.
  • Options

Any attention Scottish fans get away from the pitch is all about being wankers.

Which is more deserving of being called a wanker?

Throwing chairs and racist chanting, or getting into the spirit of the occasion, dressing up a bit, and singing and dancing with the locals?

And say a load of Nigerian fans came over for a big game, with all their bongo drums, traditional face paints and all dressed up in whatever it is they wear, adding to the atmosphere.

Would you call them wankers too?
  • Options
    The England supporters in Australia are equally embarrassing, as is the 'Barmy Army'.

I find it odd that anyone over the age of about 10 would want to dress like a twat and have their face painted.

I've had loads of good times travelling with United, not kids, older fans. Sometimes it gets a bit rough but its football ffs. Never heard any racist stuff with them either.
    And say a load of Nigerian fans came over for a big game, with all their bongo drums, traditional face paints and all dressed up in whatever it is they wear, adding to the atmosphere.

Would you call them wankers too?

Scotland and England have a football culture, the atmosphere used to be the best in the world, but now its being destroyed by all this dressing up, kids rubbish. Its a Euro away ffs, is nothing going to be spared 'Sky' culture?
  • Options
    I for one would much rather see a set of fans abroad clowning around with painted faces, "swimming" in puddle of water on the street for a laugh or any other such nonsense, like we saw the Scottish do, than a bunch of fat, bare-chested tattooed idiots singing "if it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts", giving Nazi salutes and provoking and insulting opposition fans and passers-by in the hope that there will be an off.

And it seems everyone else in the Continent thinks likewise.