Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

parents denied choice of gender for children

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nature decided there was a reason for there to be a 50:50 ratio of men and women on Earth.
    I believe we should stick to it. Most people are quite happy to have either boy or girl, it's the selfish few who want to choose. I agree with genetic things like this for medical advancement, choosing a baby's sex isn't advancement, it's vanity.
  • Options
  • Options
    Is that more women actually born than men?

The reason why there are more women than men is due to significantly higher life expectancy for women.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Is that more women actually born than men?

The reason why there are more women than men is due to significantly higher life expectancy for women.......

The life expectancy difference is only about 3-5 years, so it doesnt make that mucgh difference on a global scale.

The split is about 55:45 in terms of women, because of what GWST said.

Though either way, Whowheres point is still valid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    This might be because he has the ability to make the change - whereas the parents don't. That gives him huge power.
    I’ve caught your idea! That Society guy invented genetics and has full copyright! I should know more about him. Wait a minute, I glance at my textbook… hmm… Mendel, de Vries, Morgan, Crick and Watson… but no Society. Damned bastards even don’t mention him!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

I believe we should stick to it.

If you think you should stick on it, why not? Nobody bans it. But why do you think you have the right to ban sticking on other side?
    And then. Everybody here is talking about “selfishness”, “facions”, this kind of stuff. Why, for Lord’s sake? Parents tend to care about their children and want them to be happy. And unless the opposite is proved we can’t blame them.
    If parents believe that boys ( or girls) have some advantages in life it is not only their right but their moral duty to choose better life for their offspring.
    If they believe none of sexes has advantages but they like girls more than boys why they mustn’t choose? In this case they have a little joy and don’t harm anybody ( including their child and YOU!).
  • Options
    LabRat any decent parent would love the child regardless of the sex of the child. The love has to come before any thing you have talked about.
    Lets give an instance, I firmly beleive boys are much easier to handle than girls when they are babies, boys tend to need less attention and they tend to play by themselves whereas girls tend to need a lot more attention, so does that give me the right to say I should be able to choose to have a boy?
    As said previously I did not want a boy due to personal reasons but if I had a boy I would have loved him just as much as I love my Daughter.
    So all this scientific stuff should be left for the people who genuinely are at risk if they carry a baby of a certain sex etc.
    Babies are not toys you can chose to have, they are human beings.
  • Options
    Any decent parent will love their child regardless of gender, gender should not become an issue. Parents should desire a CHILD, not a BOY or a GIRL.

If you have to choose what gender you want your child to be then you shouldnt be having children. Because the people who want to choose are either those who believe boys are superior or those who have lost a girl and want to replace them.

Either way that is distasteful, both morally and ethically. Though Im sure if theese parents have enough money therell be a country willing to take it off of them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    I’ve caught your idea! That Society guy invented genetics and has full copyright! I should know more about him. Wait a minute, I glance at my textbook… hmm… Mendel, de Vries, Morgan, Crick and Watson… but no Society. Damned bastards even don’t mention him!

Do you think that it only takes one person to do the genetic work required then?

Or would it take a group of people?

Society makes decisions on what is best for the collective - not individuals. Society has the means to take the emotional aspect out of invidual suffering. That is what makes society work.

If we started to work purely on the basis of "looking after oneself" then we get anarchy. Many of the UK's current problems are based on that line of thinking...
  • Options

If we started to work purely on the basis of "looking after oneself" then we get anarchy. Many of the UK's current problems are based on that line of thinking...

Careful, there... :eek:

You are gaining TOO much clarity! ;)
  • Options

Society makes decisions on what is best for the collective - not individuals.
    All world troubles are based on this line of thought.
    ‘Collective’ is everything, individuals are nothing.
    Society, Common Good, Arian Race, True Faith, Proletariat, National Spirit, Social Justice, all this abstract crap we must live and die for…
    But what all these foggy terms mean?
    “Society” doesn’t allow parents to choose their future children gender. So it is obvious that these parents ARE NOT “society”.
    But WHO society is?
    Everybody?
    Everybody except these two “selfish” blokes?
    Everybody except people who don’t like this or that law?
    Everybody who is “right’ but nobody who is “wrong”?
    The majority? The majority of voters? The majority of voters for a ruling party? A government created by this party? The majority of the party members supporting the leader’s line? The leader himself?
  • Options
    All very droll, but its to miss the point.

Society, as an abstract term, acts to protect all humanity against the excesses of one or two persons. Society acts for what is best for EVERYONE, not just one or two people who really want a boy-child or a girl-child.

But leaving asiode the issue of semantics, you have yet to come up with a conclusive reason as to why parents SHOULD be allowed to determine the gender of their child, why they SHOULD be allowed to decide on a whim what proportion of humanity should be one gender or the other.

It is immoral that someone can choose the gender of a child for selfish reasons, it makes the human race little more than a fashion accessory. You dont see these parents demanding that they can choose the gender of their child for egalitarial reasons- its eitehr so that they have a boy for social standing, or have a girl to either "complete" a vague idea of the modal nuclear family or to replace an earlier child who has died.

Children are the future of the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE, and no-one should be allowed to interfere with the entire race genetically. At all, in my opinion, but certainly not to remain in step with social attitudes.