Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tipping

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I have always tipped taxi drivers and sometimes a hair dresser if they have done a good job.

But now some of my mates are telling me that they tip beauticians, electricians, gardeners, postmen....... the list is endless!

How far do you guys go? And how much do you give?

Comments

• Options
    My mates tip the *ahem* employees when they go to lapdancing clubs.

But I never go to places like that :no:
  • Options
    I tipped the Thai Boxers in Thailand £10 for each fight (well equivelant for them, only about £1.30 for us!) heh. They really do beat the shit out of each other though. My brother tipped someone 500 baht (£50 to them, £6.50 to us) when he won a fight heheheh.
  • Options
    i do hairdresses if im having colours and they make a good job, and thats about it!
    I usally just got a little pressie at xmas for my beautician, but she's a friend too.
    hermyxx
  • Options
    I never tip anyone.

(not counting the rare trips to foreign countries I go to, and even then it's usually just at restaurants)
  • Options
    I have worked as a waiter and part of the deal with the low wages is that you will make more money in tips than you will from your salary. This is supposed to make you work harder etc. but goes wrong when ther arin't enough waitrers!
    Also if you can afford to spend £12 on a pizza you could at least leave me a god damn tip of £1, if every table did that I would have been on about £15 an hour, much better than £4.10

Bopz
  • Options
    i leave about a 10-20% tip when i go to resturants and stuff like that, and i do tip bar staff if they give me what i ask for, but only like a dollar or two at the most.
  • Options
    In a restaurant, if the service is good, they get 10-15% of the bill.

If the service is not good, then I don't.
  • Options
    Hairdressers, in restaurants and if i'm having food delivered and i can't be bothered to watch him fumble around for £1 in change.
    Oh and taxi's if you have a nice chat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Munchie Face
    Hairdressers, in restaurants and if i'm having food delivered and i can't be bothered to watch him fumble around for £1 in change.
    Oh and taxi's if you have a nice chat.

About the only place I usually tip is in a restaurant and also, depends on how the food was, how the waiter/waitress was, depends on how much I tip them.
  • Options
    restaurants and cab drivers only.. not many other people i can tip..except the people who sit in the toilets at clubs/bars
  • Options
    i tip about 10% at a restaurant. occasionally i'll tell the taxi driver yo keep the change unless he was late(which they usually are!). i don't tip my hairdresser because its already too expensive:(
  • Options
    I thin in some professions you almost have to tip the people for them to make a wage.

Always tip at least 10 in a restraunt if the service is good, dont always tip taxi drivers. They make like 3 times more than the average person as it is,
    Lounge girls- always tip them. Especially when I get to know them,

Depends on what im paying- wouldnt tip someone you dont really have to pay- like postmen etc:
  • Options
    I never tip taxi drivers, they all rip you off around here anyway. They must make a fortune with charging people £10 to go 2 miles (for example).

I tip my hairdresser, because he's a nice guy, always does a good job, and he doesn't make a huge amount of money. My haircuts normally cost about £15-£2- and I tip him about £2.

It p'd me off in the USA because I had to tip everyone, and spent a fortune. I work in a bar here, and in an 8 hour shift, I will be lucky to make 1 or 2 tips. If I was working in the USA I would make a huge amount of money because every single person that buys a drink would tip me about £1.

In my situation now, as a student, I don't want to tip people just to get myself into more debt.

The minimum wage is not so bad, I have worked for it plenty of times myself and I never feel obliged to top up someones wage, that's not my problem.
  • Options
  • Options
    Got to agree with GWST. If the service is good then I'll tip. If I get crappy service then why should you be rewarded. You ain't earned it.

Oh and my hairdresser gets a tip as well. Only cause she presses her breasts into my back when she's cutting my hair. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    this pisses me off to high heaven and back again.

frankly, it is NOT my problem what wage a waiter is on. if i get good service then i will always tip well. but if it's average, or worse, why the hell should i reward you for it? it doesn't matter if i can afford it or not - i'm not going to supplement you for something i could have done better myself.

:yes: My thoughts exactly.

I tip in restaurants if I get good service. I never tip taxi drivers, becasue round here it is expensive enough, and I sometimes tip my hairdresser if he does something great with it, not usually for just a trim.
  • Options
    I always tip 15% at restaurants, unless there's something absolutely appalling about the service, and often I'll go above the 15%. The couple of times that I've left no tip (once when a waiter IDed me, made a HUGE deal about how I don't look old enough but my ID says I am, attracting the attention of a few other tables then he never brought the drink, and another when I had to wait an hour to have my order taken) I've taken the waiter to the side and told them why I'm not tipping them so that they realise that they made a mistake and I'm not just being stingy. I say it ever so nicely too, and the IDing man ended up giving me a free dessert for being so honest :D

I tip taxi drivers at about 10%, tattooists at 15%, and my piercer at about 30%, or whatever I can afford to give her.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    I have worked as a waiter and part of the deal with the low wages is that you will make more money in tips than you will from your salary. This is supposed to make you work harder etc. but goes wrong when ther arin't enough waitrers!

Remind me again why I would give a shit how much my waiter was earning?

Also if you can afford to spend £12 on a pizza you could at least leave me a god damn tip of £1, if every table did that I would have been on about £15 an hour, much better than £4.10

If you do your job properly I leave a small tip, if you do your job well I leave a large tip. Theres one restaurant I always leave at least 20% tips at, and another one where I left a 2p tip because the service was so unutterably awful.

But just because youre on a crap wage it doesnt mean Im going to reward pisspoor service. And anyone who uses the wage excuse gets ONE PENNY regardless of service.
  • Options
    Thers two points!

1) Would you be prepaired to pay £5 or £6 more so that i can get a higher wage?

2) You should care what your waiter is earning, you expect them to clear up the mess you make, run around like a servant etc. They dont choose to work for a low wage!

I don't agree with tipping whatever, regardless of service but tips for a waiter are part of their wage, and you should care that maybe they are gettin screwed over and can't afford to eat out like you are.

Bopz
  • Options
    Wages for waiters are generally minimum wage, the same as people who work in shops/as cleaners. Nobody tips them.
  • Options
    2) You should care what your waiter is earning, you expect them to clear up the mess you make, run around like a servant etc. They dont choose to work for a low wage!

I don't agree with tipping whatever, regardless of service but tips for a waiter are part of their wage, and you should care that maybe they are gettin screwed over and can't afford to eat out like you are.

Get a different fucking job then.
  • Options
    Thers two points!

1) Would you be prepaired to pay £5 or £6 more so that i can get a higher wage?

Bopz

1) No I would not.

2) I still dont care what my waiter is earning. If you dont do your job, which is actually to clear up etc, then not only will I not tip, I will complain.

Tips are not part of a wage. They are fringe benefits. If you have a problem with your wages get another job, with better wages. And why should I care that they are getting screwed over? If I go out for a meal, I go to enjoy myself and have a nice evening with whoever I go with. Not to worry about the waiter's wages. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Maybe some people cant, and most of the people who worked with me were students (like me) and the money is good, but only if people tip. And also its a really cool sociable job.

Gettin a new job dosent just happpen! And when your a student the choices are very limited.

Bopz
  • Options
    why should I care that they are getting screwed over?

Thats a realy nice attitude! Hope someone helps you out next time you are gettin screwed over.

Bopz
  • Options
    Maybe some people cant, and most of the people who worked with me were students (like me) and the money is good, but only if people tip. And also its a really cool sociable job.

Then unless you earn the extra by delivering good enough service for a tip, you will have shit money.
    You can't expect to earn a stack as a student, after all.
    Gettin a new job dosent just happpen! And when your a student the choices are very limited.

Then you're lucky you have one at all.
  • Options

But it's their job. In their job description and all so why should we care?

Here in Iceland it's a big rarity for locals to tip anywhere. The people get paid to do their job by their employers and that's the end of it. :)
  • Options
    The people get paid to do their job by their employers and that's the end of it.

So they must be paid a higher wage, and as most companys like profit, they will have to raise the price of their food? So you lose out either way... your stilll paying for service

Bopz
  • Options
    So they must be paid a higher wage

Or just learn to live with the wage that they're earning.
  • Options
    So they must be paid a higher wage, and as most companys like profit, they will have to raise the price of their food? So you lose out either way... your stilll paying for service

Bopz

I never claimed to not be paying for the service. It's what I expect to be in the prize I get on my bill. You may look at it differently, but I sure as hell don't think I'm losing on not needing to pay somebody a tip specifically just because their employers don't pay them well enough. I'd much rather have that fee on my bill. :)
  • Options
    Thats a realy nice attitude! Hope someone helps you out next time you are gettin screwed over.

Bopz

Getting screwed over and moaning because people dont tip enough are totally different things. I would say earning £4.10 an hour isnt getting screwed over, in fact compared to what some people earn, its quite good. Do you take a great interest in everyone's life that you meet or encounter? No. To me, a waiter is just another person at work. People don't care how much I earn per hour where I work, and I dont get tips. So why should I care what your earning?