Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Scariest film

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Not been scared by a film in a long time (not since It), and I want to be. Whats the scariest film you've seen?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The voodoo doll movie (Chuck or something). I watched it when I was a kiddo (more liked stood behind something, peeking at the telly since my brothers wouldn't let me see it). Had nightmares for a long time afterwards.
    I never did anything like that again. :lol:
  • Options
    legally blonde
  • Options
    After watching that "Top 100 Scariest Moments" thing on channel 4 the other night I want to see Don't Look Now. It looks totally crazy!

Scariest movie I've ever seen is probably the Evil Dead or else Ring.
  • Options
    The original version of The Ring :nervous: that scared me. The modern one was bad enough.

Evil Dead :lol: me and a few friends are obsessed with that trilogy. Love the Films!!!
  • Options
    If you're gonna get spooked watch the original Japenese version of the Ring. Much scarier.

My spooky films have got to be (in no particular order)

Blair Witch Project
    Hellraiser
    Signs (don't ask but got my mind going big time)
    28 Days Later
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

Blair Witch Project

And I thought you were a REAL man! tut tut Ninj
  • Options
    I watched Sleepy Hollow when I was about 12, and I'm not kidding it really scared me! I didn't sleep for about a week!

Other than that, It is fairly terrifying. I tend to steer clear of scary movies, so I dunno.
  • Options
    Hellraiser

I never got that film! Are you meant to watch the sequels to find out what's going on, or is it just not complicated at all? It seemed really unexplained to me and not scary...
  • Options
    28 Days Later

:nervous: When I watched that it finished at 11pm-ish, then went back to my house to stay the weekend on my own. I was 16. NOw I know why films are classified :D
  • Options
    i was on drugs and watched the blair witc project, then i started halleucinating about it

that was scary :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    And I thought you were a REAL man! tut tut Ninj

The thing that spooked me about that the most was the "not really seeing anything". Got the old mind going.

And you know I'm a REAL man *flexes muscles* :)
  • Options
    Anything with Catherine Zeta Jones is pretty scary... :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    I never got that film! Are you meant to watch the sequels to find out what's going on, or is it just not complicated at all? It seemed really unexplained to me and not scary...

Don't think you supposed to 'get it'. Was the baddies that scared me. Pinhead. Butterball. All real freaky. :nervous:
  • Options
    I thought The Hole was the worst, shittiest, crappiest 'scary' film ever made. Horror films bore me to be honest but that was just so so so so silly! And the ending!!! oh my god.... terrible! Felt really cheated out of the £2 i gave to the bloke at the video place! Could have bought some chocolate and a bottle of coke and had more fun :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dont look now is very scary. definitely watch it. is it on telly any time soon?
  • Options
    I haven't been scared by a movie since I was about 12, and that was Exorcist III. Shite film.

But erm...I'd look out for 'Cannibal Holocaust' - the most notorious of the video nasties. Not really scary, but has a lot of atmosphere and it will shock you. Don't watch if seeing animals being chopped up and eaten makes you squeamish.

Erm....'Anthropopagus'. 'The Changeling'.

I dunno really, never been scared by a film as an adult. :p

As someone said, the Japanese 'Ring' is creepy. Also a lot of atmosphere in 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' - the original obviously. I've heard good things about 'Ed Gein' too. Although that may be more psychological scaryness because it based on a real bloke, and Ed Gein actually did all that stuff. Heh, lovely. :eek2:
  • Options
    i agree with ninjamaster, i reckon signs is quite a scary film because you don't know whats going to happen and that confusion plays on you nerves and fucks with your head a lot :lol:
  • Options
    Just to throw my two pence into the fray.

I can certainly relate to those who offer the critique that truly scary films are hard to come by. More often than not, what is billed as "scary" or "horror" inevitably degenerates into little more than a gory bloodbath, which is more sickening than frightening.

For my part, I have found that the scariest films are those which do not attempt to shock you but rather to build an atmosphere of disturbing discomfort and impending doom. These sorts of films I tend to call "mindfuck" horror.

Perhaps the best of these I have found (in order) would be the following:

1. The Wicker Man
    2. The Paper House
    3. May
    4. Longtime Dead
    5. The Bunker

It may come as little surprise that the majority of these films listed are British indy films which do not fall prey to the typical Hollywood glitz or big budget PR hype that tends to leave the delivery far short of the initial promise.

I recommend people check some or all these out, if you havent already.
  • Options
    am i the only person who didn't find any of the japanese 'ring' films scary at all? or the blair witch project?

and this is coming from someone who is scared by anything.
  • Options
    Event Horizon spooked me when I saw it years ago, that's a good film, one of the only films in the last 10 years to scare me (making you jump doesn't count, even if you know something's coming you'll still jump ala the beginning of Kill Bill)

Saw the Blair Witch Project the other day, I thought it was very good for what it was, very original and yeah it spooked me a wee bit cos I turned out the lights and chilled out watching it in my room and got really into it. I just liked the original Ring film as it was, not scary tho. And the Americanised version is shite :\
  • Options
    Spiceworld.

seriously i would of said the blair witch project, that really freaked me out because it seemed real.. i dunno
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    Saw the Blair Witch Project the other day, I thought it was very good for what it was, very original

Take that back! Please.

It is not original whatsoever. The style and layout was so badly ripped from Cannibal Holocaust it was untrue.

The millions of profit they made from that should've gone to Ruggero Deodato.
  • Options
    I got hellraiser one two and three on Dvd Very cool films.. i understood it...quite easy if you seen them all...i like the one with the guy/moster who is reserected..forgot which one it is though.
  • Options
    i was sooooo scared when i saw when a stranger calls ( i was like 10 or something) the fone rang just after the moovie finished :nervous:
  • Options

Hellraiser

my dad had the scariest painting of pin head on his old motorbike ever
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    The voodoo doll movie (Chuck or something). I watched it when I was a kiddo (more liked stood behind something, peeking at the telly since my brothers wouldn't let me see it). Had nightmares for a long time afterwards.
    I never did anything like that again. :lol:

i think you mean chuckie who was in childsplay. i think there were 3 films of it? i saw that when i was in junior school. theyve brought chuckies bride out since then but havent see that one, looks funny though.

IT usually scares me due to its freakiness. but i hate 'horrors' like candyman, theyre just sick and gory.

did anyone see 'the eye' or something like that? where a group of people get locked in a mansion and think its bigbrother on the net but turns out to be a ig murder plot? now that is weird! me and my mates walked out of the cinema sayin 'WTF?!'
  • Options
    This Japanese film called Audition :nervous: Not so much scarey... more... Ok, I didnt like it *sniffles & looks for a bosom to rest her sorrows on*
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    i think you mean chuckie who was in childsplay. i think there were 3 films of it? i saw that when i was in junior school. theyve brought chuckies bride out since then but havent see that one, looks funny though.

Child's Play! That's the one! I have never wanted to see it again, so I never knew it's name since I was just like five or six when it happened. :D
    Never wanted to see any of the newer ones, either. It's had a long term impact on me for sure. ;)

I was also quite freaked out when I watched some British film about Druids or something.. (I'm bad with names, okay? :p ) Went to bed, being quite nervous about people jumping out from nowhere to slit my throat..
    I don't think it was labelled as a horror film though..
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy

IT usually scares me due to its freakiness. but i hate 'horrors' like candyman, theyre just sick and gory.

did anyone see 'the eye' or something like that? where a group of people get locked in a mansion and think its bigbrother on the net but turns out to be a ig murder plot? now that is weird! me and my mates walked out of the cinema sayin 'WTF?!'

got childs play box set.. bride of chuckie is wicked.....:D

i heard of that film with ther webcam look interesting. cant remember the name...wasnt any good then....
  • Options
    bride of chuckie made me cry i was laughing so hard 'martha stewert can kiss my shiny white plastic ass'

ummm ok, seriously, ummm i get scared by things that could happen to me, things like when in movies the girl stays round a mates house and gets raped or summat, cant think of any examples