Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Intellectualism...

It amazes me how many people refuse to join in on our little discussions because they reckon were all too intellectual for them.

Its flattering, but I really dont think thats the case. I just think it must be Clandestine with all his linkage;)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I read them, but don't usually contribute because I never really seem to know enough about the subject to write anything decent.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    I read them, but don't usually contribute because I never really seem to know enough about the subject to write anything decent.

You should join in anyway, so long as an opinion can be backed up with at least *some* reasoning I think its interesting.

I respect people who join in, even if they might not know as much about teh subject as others, because I happen to think debating is a key skill to hold.

But I am reading Law and Politics at the end of the day:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed

Same. :(
  • Options
    Re: Intellectualism...
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It amazes me how many people refuse to join in on our little discussions because they reckon were all too intellectual for them.

Its flattering, but I really dont think thats the case. I just think it must be Clandestine with all his linkage;)
    Most people come here to have fun, lighten up, get away from all these issues that the wold faces us with, day in, day out. So, even though some may think what you have stated, dont be fooled into thinking were all like that.
    :)
  • Options
    I dont think you should flatter yourself by thinking that people dont join in because theyre intimidated by your intellectualism. More likely they are bored to tears with half the subjects and have absolutely no interest in them, Or in my case, not enough interest to bother replying. I have personal favourite topics and will certainly reply if im interested in what people have written, but most of the time I wont bother. Its nothing to do with lack of intellectualism on my part or being intimidatated by other people. I do avoid discussions with certain people though because I find their style irritating and their manner arrogant. I dont enjoy debates like that, even when its a good subject. Some people spoil it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I do avoid discussions with certain people though because I find their style irritating and their manner arrogant. I dont enjoy debates like that, even when its a good subject. Some people spoil it.
    I'm agreeing wth you, quite a lot today, dear :)

maybe it was his plan to get all the people he's talking about, to post here, so he can actually see which people actually do read the threads etc
  • Options
    Its definately not intimidation by intellectuals :lol:

Rainbow is right....boredom is one reason..the other is the way this forum has become now. Its not a pleasant atmosphere in here anymore..This is why i hardly ever post.
  • Options
    I read things in here, but Im generally not informed enough about the issues in here to comment.
    And isn't it a bit presumtous to assume people in here are "too intellectual"?
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    maybe it was his plan to get all the people he's talking about, to post here, so he can actually see which people actually do read the threads etc

That and to see if anyone would bite.

they havent yet:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    That and to see if anyone would bite.

they havent yet:(
    They may not now.
    Edit your opening statemnt and make it a bit more insulting!
  • Options
    I dont even know how to spell intellectualsm and its written down in front of me. anyways stop whinging about having no friend other than other boffins and bores and talk bout sommat interesting. Talk about boring things, get boring replies. So simple even an "intellectual" such as urself might get it
  • Options
    i feel like i wont make sense
  • Options
    I don't believe it's connected to intellect in any way, more to do with the way the majority of the posters in here have they're own tongue burried too far up their own ass, or only come here to disagree and use the :rolleyes: and :lol: smiley.

Though a point I found interesting in this thread is the way people tried to demean Kermit, when they assumed him to announce himself as one of the "intellectuals". Obviously people are still tied to the "we're all equal", and therefore resort to advocating "no one shall be proud of their achievements and qualities, and speak up on those".
  • Options
    Edit your opening statemnt and make it a bit more insulting!

Nah, I was going for the arrogant look. Because some *cough*rainbow brite*cough* think Im a "self-righteous arsehole" I just wondered what the reaction would be.

*ggl*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I don't believe it's connected to intellect in any way, more to do with the way the majority of the posters in here have they're own tongue burried too far up their own ass, or only come here to disagree and use the :rolleyes: and :lol: smiley.

Very very true....I find i quite strange the amount of hatred people give out here. Why do some people enjoy making a bad atmosphere? :confused:

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Its definately not intimidation by intellectuals :lol:

Rainbow is right....boredom is one reason..the other is the way this forum has become now. Its not a pleasant atmosphere in here anymore..This is why i hardly ever post.

Oh and Baldog, I agree, everyone should speak there mind but didnt anyone ever have an upbringing with manners, general courtesy and politness ?
  • Options
    so u deliberately make urself look like a twat to see if people will call u a twat or not?
    good plan
  • Options
    maybe there would be more pleasant discussions if everyone wasn't so angry? or at least seemed so angry
  • Options
    Originally posted by Screwtape
    maybe there would be more pleasant discussions if everyone wasn't so angry? or at least seemed so angry
    Your right there, I think a lot of us have good 'net' relationships with each other, so they have a wit understanding, some of us don't and some posts do look angry. I dont see the point of always being angry :mad:
    Maybe some of us don't get on as a lot of things are taken out o context.
  • Options
    Maybe some of us don't get on as a lot of things are taken out o context.
    I think that's almost certainly correct. it's sometimes hard to gauge how something has been said when you're just looking at text. I've had hug mis-understandings even with people i do know well just because one thing has been taken the wrong way.

I really don't want to sound sort of flowery and lets-all-live-in-harmony-without-bad-energy-ish but it strikes me that sometimes people (including me) do come off as particularly aggressive about some things.

As far as i can tell, one of the reasons this site is here is so that people can express themselves but i think a little caution is also advisory. yes? no?
  • Options
    I think that's almost certainly correct. it's sometimes hard to gauge how something has been said when you're just looking at text. I've had hug mis-understandings even with people i do know well just because one thing has been taken the wrong way.

I really don't want to sound sort of flowery and lets-all-live-in-harmony-without-bad-energy-ish but it strikes me that sometimes people (including me) do come off as particularly aggressive about some things.

As far as i can tell, one of the reasons this site is here is so that people can express themselves but i think a little caution is also advisory. yes? no?

Yes, I think so. Who are we really to say how people should be, even if we dont like it. I know how i'd rather be though.
    Saying this, im very blunt with friends and my friends are with me, as were very comfortable. Maybe im a bit too blunt as I feel relaxed here. I try to make sure the nature of my comments are always known.
    We cant change it though, can we? I am 99% sure all the haters on this site that read this, will just be infuriated even more.
  • Options
    VinylVicky, if you are as you say, you should fit in here nicely. This part of the boards is made up of blunt responses and comments.

I don't mind it. I don't mind people causing controversy. But I do mind people who simply won't listen, and expect me to listen to them.
  • Options
    I am 99% sure all the haters on this site that read this, will just be infuriated even more.
    That is almost certainly the nature of a hater by definition.

But yeah, i don't think people should really be dictated to on how to behave here. probably most of the time posts that were taken as aggressive were just misunderstood.

But if you feel relaxed to the point where you feel you don't have to censure yourself then that can surely only be a good thing :)

I would like to have a simple answer, but my way of dealing with things is to talk them to death. to death i say! (but in a friendly, non aggressive sort of death :D)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    VinylVicky, if you are as you say, you should fit in here nicely. This part of the boards is made up of blunt responses and comments.

I don't mind it. I don't mind people causing controversy. But I do mind people who simply won't listen, and expect me to listen to them.
    I'm true to my word :D yes i'll say what I think and get to the point. OK, I post useless threads and pointless posts but only in those kinds of threads or when it calls for. I like to be a part of most aspects on this site.
    The reason I dont post here much, is as my head is usually spinning from work, uni and a whole matter of other things but I think I may try and make more of an effort, as I usually enjoy it :D

I cant stand people who don't listen either, people who cannot and will not see other peoples points of views. Fair enough you dont have to believe what's being said but to carry on in your own little ignorant bliss is beyond belief sometimes.
  • Options

I would like to have a simple answer, but my way of dealing with things is to talk them to death. to death i say! (but in a friendly, non aggressive sort of death :D)
    and that happens quite a lot around here dear :)
  • Options
    but to carry on in your own little ignorant bliss is beyond belief sometimes.
    Ok now i realise i am in real danger of sounding like a disgusting smart arse right now, but that's not my intention.

Isn't this quote a bit hypocritical? i mean i do agree that people who don't listen to different views and just lock themselve up in there own wall of security can be infuriating, but by not (or being unwilling to try) understanding why they are doing it means that you are guilty of precisely what you accuse them of.

this is more of a question than an accusation, i'm just a little lame at expressing myself properly today, sorry
  • Options
    Ok now i realise i am in real danger of sounding like a disgusting smart arse right now, but that's not my intention.

Isn't this quote a bit hypocritical? i mean i do agree that people who don't listen to different views and just lock themselve up in there own wall of security can be infuriating, but by not (or being unwilling to try) understanding why they are doing it means that you are guilty of precisely what you accuse them of.

this is more of a question than an accusation, i'm just a little lame at expressing myself properly today, sorry
    Yeah maybe I am.
    How I mean, is a lot of people here have set views and slate people for it, when you try to explain yourself they wont listen and not open to any offers of consideration. Me not understanding it, is because I dont live my life like that and being like that would do nothing for me. I like to experience or atleast try to understand things. I have tried to understand but I cant. Atleast I try, the difference with me is I can accept that people are like this (doesnt go to say I like it) but they are rarely accepting me.

i found that quite difficult to explain, did I make sense?
  • Options
    i found that quite difficult to explain, did I make sense?
    yeah, it's a bit of a bugger isn't it?

I think i got what you were saying, and i think the act of simply trying to understand someone elses point of view makes all the difference even if it doesn't seem to get you anywhere.

But i wouldn't say that you need to agree with a point of view to be able to understand it. i said this a while back but i'm going to repeat it as i feel it fits nicely: i can understand the motivations of a necrophiliac but i still wouldn't fancy having sex with a decaying corpse.

Anyway, in conclusion i think i have probably maligned you. I shall proceed to say 30 Hail Vickys in repentence. Yet how can i possibly hope to redeem myself?
  • Options
    yeah, it's a bit of a bugger isn't it?

I think i got what you were saying, and i think the act of simply trying to understand someone elses point of view makes all the difference even if it doesn't seem to get you anywhere.

But i wouldn't say that you need to agree with a point of view to be able to understand it. i said this a while back but i'm going to repeat it as i feel it fits nicely: i can understand the motivations of a necrophiliac but i still wouldn't fancy having sex with a decaying corpse.

Anyway, in conclusion i think i have probably maligned you. I shall proceed to say 30 Hail Vickys in repentence. Yet how can i possibly hope to redeem myself?
    I wouldnt say you have to agree with someone either and people that agree with people for the sake of it make a rod for their own back. Accepting someone but not neccesarily agreeing with them is a vital part of life for me, though not with every circumstance.

I did not in anyway, fell maligned at all hun, so no need for redemption. Though, I wont refuse it :D
  • Options
    I did not in anyway, fell maligned at all hun, so no need for redemption. Though, I wont refuse it :D
    good, cos i wasn't quite up to sacraficing a goat.

by the way, have you noticed that (rather disturbingly) we have just been having a discussion? Wouldn't kermit be proud....quick, delete the evidence
  • Options
    good, cos i wasn't quite up to sacraficing a goat.

by the way, have you noticed that (rather disturbingly) we have just been having a discussion? Wouldn't kermit be proud....quick, delete the evidence
    OMG! what are we gonna do???!!!! does this mean im an intellectual now then??!! :hyper: