Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Intellectualism...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    OMG! what are we gonna do???!!!! does this mean im an intellectual now then??!! :hyper:
    I wouldn't get your hopes up :D

please don't hurt me!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Screwtape
    I wouldn't get your hopes up :D

please don't hurt me!

*bangs you over the head with a mallet*
    hmmm at first glance I thought u were sarcastic then, I wish id never bothered looking again!

:lol
  • Options
    QUOTE]Originally posted by Kermit
    It amazes me how many people refuse to join in on our little discussions because they reckon were all too intellectual for them.

[/QUOTE]

I sometimes feel like people kind of look down upon me here, just by the way they post. We all know my grammar is nothing to write home about and because of this im always dropping myself right in it, purely by using the wrong words.
    I suppose I can look at my posts and think you silly woman, why the hell did you put it across like that, other people will kind of take me the wrong way, so I think some other posters would feel like they are getting laughed at and not want to make a fool out of themselves, so maybe that is why they dont post.
    I used to never venture here purely because it was a scary forum to be honest, now because there are some subjects I can get involved in I do come here much more.
    I'd hope by now people would understand this problem I have and try to be a bit more understanding of us who are not as intellectual as some people here. Ive had lots of things happen in my life, normal everyday things, Ive had experiences that some people here would not have had so in a kind of way my knowledge of things is *real life*, they have happened to me in real life, ive handled them myself and nothing has come from books or what a college tutor has told me.
    Id say to some members who dont post here dont be frightened of these lot here, post away and get into a good debate here. We need more people view point and dont be scared because after all whilst they are picking up on my mistakes they will be leaving you alone ;)

Jacq I use smileys to say "hey im laughing ok " or "hey your not so clever", type of thing. If I didnt use the :lol: smiley then people would never know when im joking.
    I would say most members who visit this forum respect it much more than any other forum, there is hardly any mucking about at all. This is a much more serious place, quite rightly too, however the odd joke is fine by me :D
  • Options
    *bangs you over the head with a mallet*
    hmmm at first glance I thought u were sarcastic then, I wish id never bothered looking again!

:lol
    god, something like that happened to me the other day! i thought someone said something really erotic to me (that should have warned me that i was imagining things) and it turned out to be so mundane i nearly cried.

however this is hardly the place for those sorts of goings on!
  • Options
    [/QUOTE]

Jacq I use smileys to say "hey im laughing ok " or "hey your not so clever", type of thing. If I didnt use the :lol: smiley then people would never know when im joking.
    I would say most members who visit this forum respect it much more than any other forum, there is hardly any mucking about at all. This is a much more serious place, quite rightly too, however the odd joke is fine by me :D [/B][/QUOTE]
    I was going to say, the site offers thoughs smilies so why not use them. Then I re-read and I think the point was when they are used with attitude kind of thing. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Screwtape
    god, something like that happened to me the other day! i thought someone said something really erotic to me (that should have warned me that i was imagining things) and it turned out to be so mundane i nearly cried.

however this is hardly the place for those sorts of goings on!
    I do know what your saying here! I have experienced this and I nearly replied with something erotic back. I thought id act all coy though and make them say it again as I wanted to hear it again....when I found out i was wrong...I was so grateful i didnt reply!
  • Options
    Yeah Vicky, its my way of letting people know im messing or joking. The times I have been mis-understood is unbeleivable and its basically down to the way i put things across (or should I say the bad way i put things across). Im terrible with words, use the wrong words then get taken the wrong way. so I kind of feel safe using the :lol: or :p . If i use the :rolleyes: , im being sarcastic or I am just using the same smiley that someone has used against me when they have quoted me, or as i said previously its to say "hey your not so clever".
    They are used with attitude, but not always in a negitive way from my point of view.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Yeah Vicky, its my way of letting people know im messing or joking. The times I have been mis-understood is unbeleivable and its basically down to the way i put things across (or should I say the bad way i put things across). Im terrible with words, use the wrong words then get taken the wrong way. so I kind of feel safe using the :lol: or :p . If i use the :rolleyes: , im being sarcastic or I am just using the same smiley that someone has used against me when they have quoted me, or as i said previously its to say "hey your not so clever".
    They are used with attitude, but not always in a negitive way from my point of view.
    well that seems fair enough to me. in fact it seems gosh darn sensible! I certainly try to use smileys to show how i'm saying something, not only what i'm saying.

sometimes that just isn't enough though but...well, what can ya do? accidents will happen
  • Options
    The thing is, you dont though! not to me anyway! I always find you have a great use of words, sometimes different opions but I always respect you.

*takes tongue out of ass*
  • Options
    I always find you have a great use of words,

Depends what we are talking about tbh. If I get in the situation where I feel I have just dug a big hole for myself I kind of panic and use the wrong words. Its hard for me to explain but I know that sometimes I come across as angry when in effect im not and im trying hard to control that a bit more now. I feel I kind of lose it in this forum, get me in a jokey, relaxed thread then im a different person........its very wierd.

Thanks for your kind words :)
  • Options
    Depends what we are talking about tbh. If I get in the situation where I feel I have just dug a big hole for myself I kind of panic and use the wrong words. Its hard for me to explain but I know that sometimes I come across as angry when in effect im not and im trying hard to control that a bit more now. I feel I kind of lose it in this forum, get me in a jokey, relaxed thread then im a different person........its very wierd.

Thanks for your kind words :)
    Your welcome, I do always see that your not an angry person and that when you do snap you know its only to dowith the issues. It's not like you have grudges etc........We all have our own ways of doing things though, eh?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Becky Boo, you need to have a bit more faith in yourself - you know what you mean, and you generally get your point across with lots of common sense.

This goes for everyone - just because someone argues against what you have said doesn't mean you are wrong.

Use it as an opportunity to develop your ideas further, that is part of what this forum is for! Sometimes people are just trying to present you with ideas you may not have thought of before, not shoot you down in flames.

Don't be intimidated if you find yourself in the middle of a heated discussion, we are all entitled to an opinion. Just have a bit of confidence that you know your own mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Becky Boo, you need to have a bit more faith in yourself - you know what you mean, and you generally get your point across with lots of common sense.

This goes for everyone - just because someone argues against what you have said doesn't mean you are wrong.

Use it as an opportunity to develop your ideas further, that is part of what this forum is for! Sometimes people are just trying to present you with ideas you may not have thought of before, not shoot you down in flames.

Don't be intimidated if you find yourself in the middle of a heated discussion, we are all entitled to an opinion. Just have a bit of confidence that you know your own mind.
    Thats excatly how I wanted to put it....but failed!
  • Options

Thats exactly what I think.

You are easily as bright as the rest of us, theres no reason why you should be scared of anyone. If you say something people will query it, show you other things- it doesnt mean that your own opinion is valid.

I respect you because you are prepared to change your opinion if people give you evidence contrary to what you already know. There are quite a few posters on here who wont do that ever.
  • Options
    This place wouldn't work at all if everyone was lovey dovey and overly polite and wotnot.

Would you be so keen on the Sex forum if no-one talked about anything pervy opr used no 'rude' words?

Would there be any point in the Relationships forum if people did not express their emotions?

Bring on the anger, the rage, the vitriol, more the better!!!!! :mad: :p
  • Options
    Becky Boo, you need to have a bit more faith in yourself - you know what you mean

I suppose its a confidence thing, maybe ?

Thanks for you input and also the other peoples views. Thanks kermit, thats one thing I will do and admit if im wrong..........even when im right ;)
  • Options
    even when im right ;)
    :lol:
  • Options
    whats long and thin and green and smells of pork?

kermits finger.
  • Options
    I cant stand people who don't listen either, people who cannot and will not see other peoples points of views. Fair enough you dont have to believe what's being said but to carry on in your own little ignorant bliss is beyond belief sometimes.
    Not unadjacent to my own feelings when confronted with, say, assertions that blacks and whites should stay separate because that's how it's always been, and similar gaffes. Defend a dumb idea, ditch a dumb idea... either option shows courage, but carping* about how nasty people are for saying it's a dumb idea, that's... dumb.

And this is the politics section, peeps. It's not about intellect, it's about taking an interest in the decisions that affect your lives, locally and globally. Expect to be hazed occasionally and laugh about it. Getting really clued up on this subject can take months, but it's worth it. Learn to pepper your posts with qualifiers like 'It seems to me...' and 'As I understand it...' and make a point of welcoming other viewpoints that might enhance that understanding. Most importantly, or so it seems to me ( ;) ), if a post really gets your goat, think about waiting a few hours before responding. Either a really good comeback will percolate in your gulliver in the meantime, or you'll realise, on re-reading the offending post, that it may not have been intended to be as offensive as first appearances suggested.

Bear in mind also that some people have seen particular logical fallacies cropping up with tedious regularity, and aren't always as gentle as they could be with the 'originator'. The 'why isn't there a white police officers association, then?' argument is one such example. The odd 'Correct me if I'm wrong, but...' preamble is a great mollifier.

*Orig. 'whining' - check posts for phrases that are unnecessarily antagonistic before sending :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Thats exactly what I think.

You are easily as bright as the rest of us, theres no reason why you should be scared of anyone. If you say something people will query it, show you other things- it doesnt mean that your own opinion is valid.
    Or indeed, invalid ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    it's already been done rolly :rolleyes:

a lot.
    couldn't resist it in a thread about the intelectual elites!
  • Options
    even when im right ;)

Agree with me and you will be:p