Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ban the sale of fireworks ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have heard of a couple of cases very recently of teenagers getting hurt by using fireworks. I personally feel that the selling of fireworks should not be allowed to the general public but solely for organised events.
Each year we hear of so many people being injured by fireworks so maybe now is the time to just stop selling them in shops. The latest case I heard about was a boy who threw a firework at another boy and he is going to be scarred for life through this. Its no where near bonfire night so how many more people are going to be hurt in the run up to Nov 5th ?
I never buy fireworks Id much prefer to go and see an organised display, they are so much better to watch anyway. We have an organised event which is free admittance, hotdog stalls and the funfair is also there so in my area I cannot see why people line the pockets of the shops anyway.

your view ?

Comments

• Options
    Personally I'd be more concerned about the environmental impact of fireworks than the idea that they're a hazard in themselves.
  • Options
    That is a factor but I personally am more concerned with kids who get hurt by fireworks. Some are innocent people just walking down the street and an arsehole decides to throw a firework at them, thus some are scarred for life.
  • Options
    Not to mention the fact that instead of sticking to Nov. 5th, we are blessed with the sound of exploding fireworks all the way from late September through Xmas.

They banned them in Spain, and although if someone really wants to buy fireworks they will- just like with anything else- at least you don't see literally every kid with a mini arsenal in their pockets.

When I was a kid they were still legal and on sale all year round. One of our favourite tricks was to plant a big one on a freshly-laid dog turd and light it. Pandemonium ensued.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Not to mention the fact that instead of sticking to Nov. 5th, we are blessed with the sound of exploding fireworks all the way from late September through Xmas.

your lucky...
    we seem to get them all year round!

that dog turd thing reminds me of putting one one in a paper bag, putting the bag on someones doorstep, lighting the bag, ringing the door bell and legging it.

not that I ever did that of course!

fireworks should be banned and only used in public displays
  • Options
    it's a bit strange that we celebrate a terrorist attack by making unlimited quantities of explosives availablke to children.
  • Options
    I understand what you mean, I saw some kids with some small rockets the other day, but well I really like getting fireworks on Guy Forks night. I guess its a matter of whether we should legislate to protect the minority to the detrament of the majority of the safe users.
  • Options
    i'm not sure that they should ban them completely, cause then people who organise responsible displays in their gardens on bonfire night would miss out, and i don't have a problem with those people.

maybe if you need some kind of licence to buy them, so we aren't tortured by kids throwing them at our windows and at passing cars all winter. i don't know how acheiveable that is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    maybe if you need some kind of licence to buy them, so we aren't tortured by kids throwing them at our windows and at passing cars all winter. i don't know how acheiveable that is.

That could be very feasable. what you could do if you had an arranged firework display would be apply to your local council for a permit type thing. They give you a permit and you then go to the local supplier in your area, without the permit no fireworks sold.

Maybe ?
  • Options
    Yep, but then there would be a black market in the stuff, and where that occured kids and others would be able to buy them without any safety checks at all. There are already quite a lot of illegal imports, and dangerous ones at that, this would only increase if they were to be restricted.

Am I the only one to see the similarity to drugs here?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Yep, but then there would be a black market in the stuff, and where that occured kids and others would be able to buy them without any safety checks at all. There are already quite a lot of illegal imports, and dangerous ones at that, this would only increase if they were to be restricted.

Am I the only one to see the similarity to drugs here?
    bong ...if you try smoking a rocket ...make sure the pointy end is facing away from you! and those roman candles ...wow man the colours!
  • Options
    I was also thinking of the option of gaining a permit so I could put on a public drug use display, might be interesting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I was also thinking of the option of gaining a permit so I could put on a public drug use display, might be interesting.
    put me on the invite list ...
  • Options
    If any of you have heard about Lewes Bonfire you will know why I am so vehemently against any more regulation of fireworks. Part of our tradition is to mess around with fireworks to remember the Gunpowder Plot and (in Lewes) we also commemorate our war dead. Fireworks are the way we do that.

In Lewes therte are around 5000 people involved in the processions. All who are able to carry torches, 10ft high burning crosses, pyrotechnical banners and effigies that are set off in the street. Most carry around 200-300 bangers that we set off in the street independently. Every year there are around 5 burns injuries as opposed to around 20 injuries from crushing in the crowds that watch.

If you want to ban something that is dangerous how about banning Alcohol, Skiing, Crowds, Cars, Rugby etc etc. All of which I think you'll find are statistically more dangerous than fireworks.
  • Options
    What about a firework license? Kinda like a chainsaw license, you gotta go on a course and then at the end you get a license ID card. So you can be arrested in posession of fireworks without one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Most carry around 200-300 bangers that we set off in the street independently.

WOW I bet thats brilliant, walking down the street letting loads of bangers off, beats watching a firework display :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    WOW I bet thats brilliant, walking down the street letting loads of bangers off, beats watching a firework display :rolleyes:
    It is. We get crowds of up to 80,000. There are firework displays later, 6 in fact. So :p
  • Options
    It is. We get crowds of up to 80,000. There are firework displays later, 6 in fact. So :p

80,000 Yeah I bet that bit is spectacular, its the banger bit that I think is a waste of time. They do nothing apart from go *bang* lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    What about a firework license? Kinda like a chainsaw license, you gotta go on a course and then at the end you get a license ID card. So you can be arrested in posession of fireworks without one.

There is already one for large fireworks. You need an explosives licence for them. Why licence bangers though?
  • Options
    80,000 Yeah I bet that bit is spectacular, its the banger bit that I think is a waste of time. They do nothing apart from go *bang* lol

You should hear it when a firecracker is going off along with the Bonfire Boys coming past. Its a veritable orchestra of bangs... If it wasn't great, people wouldn't come to watch...
  • Options
    Why licence bangers though?

probably be because bangers are the ones that cause the bother, bangers are the ones that kids use to throw at other people and are used much more irresponsible.......maybe ?
  • Options
    probably be because bangers are the ones that cause the bother, bangers are the ones that kids use to throw at other people and are used much more irresponsible.......maybe ?

Maybe i'm weird but personally I love bangers... Whenever one goes off in Lewes in the run up to the 5th there is a muted cheer... There not seen as a nuisance here at all. If you get one thrown at you you throw one back! Its all good fun.
  • Options
    I'd welcome any way to stop the fuckers around here chucking them out of car windows.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    I'd welcome any way to stop the fuckers around here chucking them out of car windows.

Come to Lewes for a few years and then you'll like the bangs!
  • Options

Why?
  • Options
    simbelyne ...meet me at the station about 4pm on the 4th. i'm staying at your gaff for the party! sounds absolutely brill ...mad but fucking brill!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    simbelyne ...meet me at the station about 4pm on the 4th. i'm staying at your gaff for the party! sounds absolutely brill ...mad but fucking brill!

Sure thing! We always have people to stay! Seriously though, you should come down and watch it!!!
  • Options
    i have a clear view of a the rooftop of my nearest neighbour ...when his first grand child was born it was anounced unbeknown to me or any other neighbours until the first flash lit up the sky ...that the child had arrived. an hour long firework festival. me and emily sat in the garden thrilled to bits ...some of the locals complained. a few months later it happened again. he must spend thousands for such displays. we love, can't wait for the next. but some don't and complain like mad.
  • Options
    Displays can be pretty good.
    The problem is when people start lobbing them out of car windows and leaving them on peoples porches.
  • Options
    No i don't think the sale of fireworks should be banned at all, fireworks can be fun if used properly.

I've seen many people including myself throw fireworks where we shouldn't have, but it's all part of growing up, i know it's stupid but we used to have firework fights with groups of up to 40 people just aiming rockets at each other,pretty dumb i know yes.

Last year though the police were out and about at halloween as they do be, they came over and searched me and found the fireworks which were illegal and took my name and took me home, i was out again 5 minutes later but i had no fireworks left :(

This year though i plan not to buy any at all.

I agree though with the organised displays of fireworks.

A few years ago a mate of mine lit a rocket, didn't go off, he went over to pick it up again and it blew up in his hand, he lost two and a half fingers, he's never gone near fireworks since.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    I've seen many people including myself throw fireworks where we shouldn't have, but it's all part of growing up, i know it's stupid but we used to have firework fights with groups of up to 40 people just aiming rockets at each other,pretty dumb i know yes.

Now that is exactly the reason I do not think they should be sold in every shop.
    Fireworks are good, even better when you go to a proper, big organised display.