Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Putting Paedophilia in Perspective

Paedophilia is a horrible crime, and can have serious effects on the victim for many years to come. That is not is dispute.

What is in dispute is just what a huge amount of media time is given over to this type of crime, and the according amount of worry parents give to it. Thousands of children are killed each year by speeding drivers and by drink-drivers, yet the media and parents dont believe that speeding is a serious offence. Drink driving has only very very recently become socially unacceptable, but tens of thousands of people still do it each year.

Hundreds of children die each year through domestic fire, yet there is no media campaign to get everyone to have smoke alarms. Many homes STILL DO NOT HAVE WORKING SMOKE ALARMS, yet I will bet my bottom dollar that these parents tell their children to not talk to strangers, but dont buy something that is substantially more likely to save their childrens' lives.

Many people on here seem to believe that paedos are everywhere, and that children are not safe because there are a few perverts knocking about, yet those same people are against speed-detection cameras, and do not buy smoke alarms. Some paedos are deeply deeply sick people, and anyone who hurts children should be punished severely. but most paedophilic crimes are little more than some pathetic old man putting his hand inside some little girl's knickers for a few moments.

I just can't help but feel that people have got the wrong idea about their childs safety. Because, at the end of the day, I doubt that theres many parents who believe that having their daughter touched inappropriately by their lecherous uncle is worse than seeing their daughter getting mown down in the street by a drunk-driver or by a driver doing 35mph down a residtential street.

Talk about getting your priorities wrong.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Strangely, I agree. I think you have managed to say everything I have wanted to say on the matter.
    Stats show that children are hurt and abused by members of their own family more often than by a complete stranger and yet the media would have us believe that "they" are everywhere.

I think it gives parents an excuse not to allow their children any freedom at all.
  • Options
    Re: Putting Paedophilia in Perspective
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Paedophilia is a horrible crime,

but most paedophilic crimes are little more than some pathetic old man putting his hand inside some little girl's knickers for a few moments.

yes lets talk about getting our priorities wrong.
    i'm getting old ...so if i just put my hands in your little girs nickers for a 'few moments' ...thats ok? to compare it with road accidents etc shows you have no understanding whatsoever of the subject.
    you have no comprehension of being the parent of a child who's nickers were infiltrated for ...a short while. fuck off your sick.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx
    Strangely, I agree. I think you have managed to say everything I have wanted to say on the matter.
    Stats show that children are hurt and abused by members of their own family more often than by a complete stranger and yet the media would have us believe that "they" are everywhere.

I think it gives parents an excuse not to allow their children any freedom at all.

Exactly they are everywhere. Even within circles of people who you trust the most. It has been a tabu for years, and I definitely think it is wrong to say it has been emphasised too much. It isn't. The more people become aware, the more people realise that it is wrong and that shutting one's mouth for the sake of the family won't help anyone, the better.

Parents are not evil creatures. When they restrict in freedom they do it as protection. Sometimes it's exagerated protection, but you can't blame a parent for caring for their child.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Exactly they are everywhere. Even within circles of people who you trust the most. It has been a tabu for years, and I definitely think it is wrong to say it has been emphasised too much. It isn't. The more people become aware, the more people realise that it is wrong and that shutting one's mouth for the sake of the family won't help anyone, the better.

Parents are not evil creatures. When they restrict in freedom they do it as protection. Sometimes it's exagerated protection, but you can't blame a parent for caring for their child.
    jacq ...i know its not often we agree but ...a parent puts fences and boundries up around a child to protect them from what they don't know or understand. even that is becoming socialy unacceptable in this ...'modern' ...age.
  • Options
    Kermit I honestly used to regard you as a sensible poster, what you are saying about peadophiles is so bloody stupid !!!

Peados ARE everywhere only the police dont tell you that you have a peado or someone on the sex register living next door to you.

As a parent I have to say this is one of the worst crimes ever imaginable, to be honest it repluses me more than murder, for the fact that someone actually gets high on the fact that they are touching, looking at a child, its sick.
    The sooner animals who do this are imprisoned for life then thats got to be a good thing.
    I understand totally how Mr Roll is feeling at this moment and i dread to think what I would do to someone who touched my Daughter.
    Peadophiles need to be taken away from society and locked up and throw away the key. They are scum and they deserve all they get !!!!!!!

Also for the people who have not got children/toddlers come back when you have and tell me your view then, I guarantee you view will have dramatically changed !!

Edited to add :
    Rather a sensitive time for you to post something of this nature.
  • Options
    Paedophilia is a horrible crime, and can have serious effects on the victim for many years to come. That is not is dispute.

What is in dispute is just what a huge amount of media time is given over to this type of crime, and the according amount of worry parents give to it. Thousands of children are killed each year by speeding drivers and by drink-drivers, yet the media and parents dont believe that speeding is a serious offence. Drink driving has only very very recently become socially unacceptable, but tens of thousands of people still do it each year.

Hundreds of children die each year through domestic fire, yet there is no media campaign to get everyone to have smoke alarms. Many homes STILL DO NOT HAVE WORKING SMOKE ALARMS, yet I will bet my bottom dollar that these parents tell their children to not talk to strangers, but dont buy something that is substantially more likely to save their childrens' lives.

Many people on here seem to believe that paedos are everywhere, and that children are not safe because there are a few perverts knocking about, yet those same people are against speed-detection cameras, and do not buy smoke alarms. Some paedos are deeply deeply sick people, and anyone who hurts children should be punished severely. but most paedophilic crimes are little more than some pathetic old man putting his hand inside some little girl's knickers for a few moments.

I just can't help but feel that people have got the wrong idea about their childs safety. Because, at the end of the day, I doubt that theres many parents who believe that having their daughter touched inappropriately by their lecherous uncle is worse than seeing their daughter getting mown down in the street by a drunk-driver or by a driver doing 35mph down a residtential street.

:mad:
    What the hell are you talking about?! The comparisons you make in this post are ridiculous. For one thing they are completely different crimes from each other, all of which are wrong.! Also I think that there is alot of media attention given to drink driving and to the safety of smoke alarms. Anyway I don't see how you can dispute the amount of media time given to this, i mean it's not a question of hogging the limelight is it, it's a fact, there are that many paedos out there, and lets face it... 1 sick fucking perv is 1 too many - 1 child at risk is 1 too many! So i don't think you can question the concern of the parents. And for your information there is no degree of abuse that is ok. Judging by what you say, it's ok for a dirty old perv to be touching a child, because in your eyes that's not a proper paedo.

Your stupid comments are very infuriating... actually you don't even have a point.

In fact everytime i read it again, i'm more inclined to think you have just written this shit to stir some shit.

Either that...............or you're just a fucking idiot :mad:
  • Options
    I`d really like to know one thing Kermit. Do you really imagine that a "pathetic old man" who sticks his hands down a little girl`s knickers just does this completely out of the blue one day on a mad whim and it`s an isolated incident ??????

No.

Like the "pathetic old man" who stuck his hands down my knickers when I was a little girl - a family member I might add. I had the wit to tell him to get lost, but when he did it to my little sister too, then the family had to be involved. And that`s when the enormity of everything he`d actually done (that we know of, anyway) came out. Let`s just say he didn`t suddenly decide to do this one day and then leave it at that.

You`re seriously off the mark with this comment, sorry.
  • Options

Bingo.

Another case of the media working in league with the government trying to bring fear and terror into the national consciousness.Classic divide and rule tactics.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Peados ARE everywhere only the police dont tell you that you have a peado or someone on the sex register living next door to you.
    No, they aren't though, that is the point he is trying to make. There are far greater threats to children in the world that people don't make a song and dance about.

I disagree wholeheartedly with Kermit's last sentence but I agree with what he is basically saying. Does this mean I am condoning paedophilia? Of course it doesn't. It means that I believe that there are far greater dangers facing children in the world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx
    No, they aren't though, that is the point he is trying to make. There are far greater threats to children in the world that people don't make a song and dance about.

Thing is, in car accidents, no one was planning or knew that they would be driving into you, and killing your child or whatever. It is indeed sad, and tragic. And I won't start imagining the loss of a child. I have enough problems comprehending the death of adults.

With paedophilia, you have a grown up person, who's supposed to be better-knowing and know right from wrong, who intentionally sexually abuses a child.

Often intent makes all the difference, if you ask me.
  • Options

Interesting to note how many of you actually read this sentence, before deciding Im some sort of paedo sympathiser. Very interesting indeed.

But before recommencing the flaming just consider a few things.

Around 80 people a week die on the roads, many as a result of speeding or driving under the influence of drink or drugs. A reasonable proportion of these are children.

There are about 20,000 names on the Sex Offenders' Register, (in this Guardian article the figure is 12,000, but its slightly out of date) and lets triple it to generously account for those never caught. Thats 100,000 sex offenders. Not all of these are paedophiles. Lets assume two thirds of them are, to be generous. That is about 67,000 paedophiles in the UK. There are 60 million people in the UK. This means that 0.1116667% of the population are paedophiles. Still care to argue that
    Orginally posted by BeckyBoo
    ?
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Like the "pathetic old man" who stuck his hands down my knickers when I was a little girl - a family member I might add. I had the wit to tell him to get lost, but when he did it to my little sister too, then the family had to be involved. And that`s when the enormity of everything he`d actually done (that we know of, anyway) came out. Let`s just say he didn`t suddenly decide to do this one day and then leave it at that.

I never said paedophilia was anything other than a deeply disgusting crime, that has the ability to cause serious damage. I never said it wasnt serious for the victims. I never said paedos suddenly decided to abuse children out of the blue- often paedos were abused themselves, for starters. But what I AM saying is that there are other things which are more harmful to more people- not that victims of paedophiles dont deserve justice and help and everything, before more flaming commences- but that in the mania of paedophilia the important things are forgotten. Peoples houses are burned down because they happened to once be occupied by paedos, yet children are not taught the Green Cross Code in school any more. People go on the rampage for "Sarahs Law" yet they demand that speed cameras are torn down because they "victimise" speeding drivers. Interesting to note that most drink-drivers are not first-time offenders either, so that argument is ridiculous.

I expected this flaming, and Im almost pleased it came. Proves everything that Brass Eye said to be true...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Often intent makes all the difference, if you ask me.

tell that to the family of a five-year-old girl in Ashington who was killed by a banned driver doing 50mpgh thorugh a red light. Im sure he didnt intend for there to be a car there, but the girl is still dead and the younger sister is still seriously brain damaged.

For every victim of paedophilia there are at least 30 victims of drink-driving or speeding.
  • Options
    I personally agree with the point Kermit was trying to make. Far too much emphasis is being put by the media if not by the parents. It's their favourite word in the world and they're happy to plaster it all over the front pages at any given chance. Not much mention of anything else.

They're positively creating an atmosphere of fear and recrimination, where a parent cannot take a photo of their child naked in the bath without some clueless tosser at the processing lab calling the police; where stopping to watch children play football in a school playground would be suicide; or where the automatic reaction by many when hearing of an eccentric but clearly harmless man who likes to ramble in the nude is that ''it mustn't be allowed, what if he attacks children?''

We really must get a grip on the situation ffs, and don't let certain right-wing tabloids who love exploiting this particular crime but have little time for anything else run the agenda.

I don't see any News of the World-sponsored lynch mobs hounding drunk drivers out of their homes. I wonder why...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I don't see any News of the World-sponsored lynch mobs hounding drunk drivers out of their homes. I wonder why...

Quite the opposite in fact.

At 20mph nearly all children would survive being hit by a car. At 30mph about half would. At 35mph about a third would. At 40mph few would.

Yet the right-wing tabloid media are out campaigning for the REMOVAL of traffic-calming measures such as speed humps and chicanes, and the REMOVAL of speed-prevention cameras. Quite hypocritical I have to say...
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is a certain amount of hysteria about it though, and emotion runs very high, just look at this thread!

I do find it strange that this topic makes otherwise rational and compassionate people, (who are generally staunch supporters of everyones right to a fair trial, innocent until proven guilty etc,) willing to decry people at the merest hint of pedophilia, proven or not, and turning into a lynch mob and demanding dicks on sticks.

How many people believe that this kind of behavior is a mental illness, and how many of you believe it is the act of someone inherently evil?
  • Options

Edited to add :
    Rather a sensitive time for you to post something of this nature.

Kermit......no comment I see :rolleyes:

Adults are there to protect children NOT abuse them, how the fuck can you compare a sick peado touching children, which is planned and thought out, to someone having a car accident......the two are total opposites and cannot be compared.

If you wanted to talk about car accidents then you should have started a thread about car accidents, not bringing peadophiles into the equasion.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru

If this issue is important BeckyBoo, and I know you believe it is, then it is important to talk about it. I know what you are getting at, but who was the discussion started by in the first instance?
  • Options

Ill say what I want when I want. For some people any time will be a sensitive time :rolleyes:

Adults are there to protect children NOT abuse them, how the fuck can you compare a sick peado touching children, which is planned and thought out, to someone having a car accident......the two are total opposites and cannot be compared.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thats exactly what I mean! Its not having a car accident, its getting into a car when you are unfit to drive it, its driving too fast down a side street, its ignoring red lights. Many people plan it and think it through, or at the very least dont actually care enough about the consequences- Id love you to tell the family of that little girl in Ashington that it was "just an accident".

How are the two total opposites though? A child is dead, another child is seriously injured- its the same end result. You dont seemt o be able to quite grasp the fact that I am NOT agreeing with paedophilia when I denounce media hysteria. Do you not understand how you can be critical of one situation without tolerating the other? Or are you so clouded with emotion that you dont actually LISTEN to what I am saying?

If you wanted to talk about car accidents then you should have started a thread about car accidents, not bringing peadophiles into the equasion.

The point of this thread was that there are many more dangerous situations regarding children, situations that can be AVOIDED, that dont get the media attention and the parental HYSTERIA. Its not about car acciodents, its not about house fires, its about people getting some Goddamn PERSPECTIVE about dangers and threats. And before that is lazily used as an argument against me, Im NOT saying that the victims of paedophilia should just grow up, or that paedophilia isnt seriously wrong. Its just not a huge problem in this country, unless you think 0.11167% of the population is huge.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    If this issue is important BeckyBoo, and I know you believe it is, then it is important to talk about it.

Ok, yes I find it hard to comprehend someone starting a thread at even trying to discuss peadophillia at this level when we have a well known member from these forums going through this nightmare of having a peado in the family.
    I dont think kermit actually thought about what Mr Roll would feel like at having this discussion/debate right now, he could have waited for the dust to settle before starting a topic of this nature.

Mr roll wanted to talk to people, release some of that anger I suppose, I dont think he thought for one minuite that he would come here and see a thread like this made.

I think it was very insensitive to post this thread at this particular time.
  • Options
    Ill say what I want when I want.

Without thinking that you could be upsetting someone who is going through a tuff time at that moment ?

Very nice I must say :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Without thinking that you could be upsetting someone who is going through a tuff time at that moment ?

Very nice I must say :rolleyes:

You gonna stop to think for one minute why I started a new thread about it? Or not?

It was obvious from the title what it was going to be about, anyone who is gonna be offended has no need to read it.

When would you suggest I post it then? 2078?
  • Options
    When would you suggest I post it then? 2078?

No need to be sarcastic, a few days would have been a lot better. But there again as you have already stated you will post what you want when you want so pointless debating that eh.
  • Options
    No need to be sarcastic, a few days would have been a lot better. But there again as you have already stated you will post what you want when you want so pointless debating that eh.

If something needs to be said, it needs to be said. If you cant get the jist of this thread from the title then youre not really paying attention, and Im not going to pussy-foot around just so that no-one anywhere gets offended ever. Because thats not how debating works.
  • Options
    If something needs to be said, it needs to be said.

and this was very important to you and you had to get it of your chest immediately didnt you.

*yawn*

Whatever !!!!
  • Options
    and this was very important to you and you had to get it of your chest immediately didnt you.

Now that you mention it, yes I did.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Topics about peadophillia are flying all about the place at the moment and it was Mr Roll that brought it to the boards. He may be having a tough time at the moment, but if you bring a subject like that here you are going to have to accept that people are going to want to discuss it and they are going to have different opinions.

I totally agree with the point Kermit is making here - there are far higher risks to children than perverts that often get ingnored because of the hysteria over peadophillia. Drink drivers and speeders are much 'real' threats than peadophillia, but from the impression the media gives us there's peado on every street. I'm not saying parents shouldn't be cautious about the threat of perverts but it's important not to get carried away.

Becky I know it's not really a fair question but I'm gong to ask it anyway ...who would you feel more angry towards - a pervert who's molested your child or a drink driver who's runover and killed your child?

Personally I would be more devestated by the drink driver situation but then I'm not a parent yet.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Becky I know it's not really a fair question but I'm gong to ask it anyway ...who would you feel more angry towards - a pervert who's molested your child or a drink driver who's runover and killed your child?

Ask me when I have been in that position, until I have been there then I cannot make comment. Either one id be a *woman possesed* and Id make the person suffer like they made my Daughter.
  • Options
    Ask me when I have been in that position, until I have been there then I cannot make comment. Either one id be a *woman possesed* and Id make the person suffer like they made my Daughter.

In a random tangent, and again its asked in the same spirit as Skive's question:

What is preferable? seeing your child molested or seeing your child killed by a speeding driver? And that questions to everyone, really.
  • Options
    In a random tangent, and again its asked in the same spirit as Skive's question:

What is preferable? seeing your child molested or seeing your child killed by a speeding driver? And that questions to everyone, really.

Your not listening are you, im not prepared to make comment on something like this which has never happened to me.
    Whichever crime then the perpetrator would probably have me on their back till I went to my grave.
  • Options
    Kermit: I agree with you

Good posting.............