Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lethal injection in the US

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    On the contrary. I think all those campaigning for the death penalty should be made not only to watch, but to turn on the juice on the electric chair themselves. To watch the condemned fry to death, his hair to catch fire as it often does and the room to start smelling of bacon. And then to ask them: do you feel vindicated now?
  • Options
    Well no, because the electric chair is crap.
    Making them watch the murderer of their child hang would be a much more satisfying experience for them.

I believe in capital punishment as a punishment, not as a deterrent and only for use against the most serious of offenders. Serial killers, child rapists, terrorists and those found guilty of treason.
    The ones who would never have been deterred in the first place but deserve a suitable punishment.
  • Options
    Can you hear what you are saying? Getting satisfaction from someones death?! Can you not see how terribly savage that is?
  • Options
    He's saying we've criticised it for being inappropriate as a deterrance, but we haven't really considered the matter of atonement...I think.

Right Whowhere? :-\

Rexer
  • Options
    And the carrying out of that punishment Whowhere makes as every bit as despicable as the condemned.

I still believe that most people, if given the choice to spare the life of the condemned as he has the rope round his neck, would do so. Frankly, anyone who doesn't must be seriously fucked up and if they had any human emotions left would deeply regret it later in life.
  • Options
    A tough moral question this. The correct interpretation of the ten commandments is "thou shalt not commit murder" as opposed to "that shalt not kill". (The original Hebrew text not the English translation). Therein lies the Christian interpretation for what it is worth.

I favor the death penalty for those who have committed premeditated murder. I believe that those who kill officers of the law should also be subject to the death penalty. Moreover, I believe that those that perpetrate genocide and mass murder should be executed.

While that me seem f****d up it is what I believe. Yes, I would pull the lever or trigger as necessary. Some individuals need to be removed from the gene pool. I don't moralize and ask others to believe as I do but I cannot see people getting away with murder. If it were my family I would like the creep(s) to get there just deserts.

Aladdin I respect your principaled stance on the issue but I must disagree with it. Actually I am not despicable but then again some have ventured the opinion that I am at times f****d up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Murph Redux
    A tough moral question this. The correct interpretation of the ten commandments is "thou shalt not commit murder" as opposed to "that shalt not kill". (The original Hebrew text not the English translation). Therein lies the Christian interpretation for what it is worth.

Which means bugger all when you consider that the law courts have no standing in the eyes of the Church and therefore their decision to someone should die is still murder in the eyes of God.
    I believe that those who kill officers of the law should also be subject to the death penalty.

Why? What makes a police officer's life more important that, mine or yours?
  • Options
    Murph Redux; You talk of the need for some people to be removed from the gene pool, but that argument doesnt really hold water does it. If they are going to held in prison for 25-30 plus years they are very unlikely to father/mother children are they.
  • Options

Some individuals need to be removed from the gene pool.

That seems aninnocuous statement but it may have deeper maening.

Seems to suggest the belief that muderous tendencies are generally a genetic/biological phenomenon rather than a product of living that persons life (or a combination of both)

That seems very wrong to me........
  • Options
    Also is it not a very dangerous slippery slope to be going on. Talking about people needing to be removed from the gene pool, thats only a relatively short step from purification.
  • Options
    Albert Pierrepoint, our last senior hangman wasn't greatly 'f****d up' by his duties, he retired, ran a pub in Hampshire and lived to old age, similarly his asst. Sid Durnley - an untroubled olser age. Maybe dispatching murderers isn't the trauma some would claim it to be.

Public opinion , last I heard, would like the restoration of the death penalty, it's the harshest of penalties for the most heinous of criminals (saying that though, the harshest penalty for Ian Brady would be to deny him his radio + anti-depressants)
  • Options
    Man of Kent,

Would you please elaborate on the point concerning the law courts having no standing in the eyes of the church. I am a bit muddled on that point.

As concerns officers of the law....they are the thin line that keeps order for us in a civilized society.

An individual so depraved as to have indifference towards the living symbol of order and law in society must be dealt with harshly. If a criminal is willing to kill an officer then he has lost all consideration for the rules of civil society and would not hesitate to murder those less able to defend themselves.

Aside from religious arguments, why is it wrong to put someone to death for the commission of crimes as I stated in the earlier post?

bongbudda and toadborg,

The term "removed from the gene pool" is used here as a colloquialism and is not intended to serve as a justification for eugenic purification of society. I don't believe in eugenics or societal purification of the sorts mentioned in your posts.
  • Options
    A Josef Mengele for instance.
    Who?
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    and those found guilty of treason

Ah, but why treason? No one really cares about the royal family anymore, they have no real influance on modern society as the queen no longer makes the rules, the govenment do, although i think she signs the bills they passed or somthing. (sorry im new to all this) i think its just tradition more than anything else really, we could survive without a royal family.
    And also if you kill a swan you have committed treason, and could be killed for that still.

i hope i make sence.
  • Options
    Would you please elaborate on the point concerning the law courts having no standing in the eyes of the church. I am a bit muddled on that point.

Sorry, I'm not religious, but my understanding is that only God can judge. Therefore it isn't inconcievable for the church to say that any death which isn't natural is murder in accordance with the commandments.
    As concerns officers of the law....they are the thin line that keeps order for us in a civilized society.

An individual so depraved as to have indifference towards the living symbol of order and law in society must be dealt with harshly. If a criminal is willing to kill an officer then he has lost all consideration for the rules of civil society and would not hesitate to murder those less able to defend themselves.

Surely though, if the person killed anyone then they are equally depraved/indifferent towards law and order.
    Aside from religious arguments, why is it wrong to put someone to death for the commission of crimes as I stated in the earlier post?

It's murder, premeditated at that.

Just because it's done in the name of the state doesn;t make it acceptable.

If the state argues that it is wrong to take a life, then why is it acceptable for them to take one?
  • Options
    'A state that has to be perpetually conquered can not be governed'

If the police are really the only thing holding everyone back from slaughtering anyone in sight, well that’s a deeply depressing thought.

To me that sounds as though you are saying that everyone would be a dangerous criminal if we didn’t have the police. That cant be right, or at least I don’t want to accept its right. Most people obey the law, not because they are afraid of the police but due to some sort of decency.
  • Options
    Are we overlooking the obvious?

Quote by Aladdin:
    It doesn't work, and it is an immoral abomination. There are no possible excuses for such barbarian practices to exist.

All arguments aside there is one fact that can not be disputed about the death penalty as a punishment for capital murderers:

executed murderers will NEVER kill again. (not on this planet anyway)
  • Options
    Whereas a convicted murderer serving life without parole will kill how many?
  • Options
    Whereas a convicted murderer serving life without parole will kill how many?

I don't know, I suppose it depends how many other inmates or guards piss him/her off.
  • Options
    That's not much of a valid reason and you know it.

Firstly, I presume most people who advocate the death penalty couldn't care less if a murderer kills another- on the contrary! Think of all the money the State would save...

If you are so concerned for the lives of those who in your opinion don't deserve the death penalty for their crimes (such as robbers for instance) all the State needs to do is put all murderers in the same wing. Problem solved.

And how many guards have been murdered by inmates in the last 50 years? Two? Five? Does it justify in your view executing hundreds of people just in the off chance that once every decade a guard might get killed?

Should be execute all the burglars, petty thieves or fraudsters just in case one of them gets up in a bad mood one morning and kills a guard? Better not risk the life of prison guards eh?
  • Options
    Aladdin
    Firstly, I presume most people who advocate the death penalty couldn't care less if a murderer kills another- on the contrary! Think of all the money the State would save...

Excellent point! Another good case made for proponents of the death penalty.;)
  • Options
    But one example - Inmates kill another inmate

Convicted Priest Murdered By Another Inmate

Private Prisons - Inmate on Inmate and Guard Violence

Interesting - Know Your Kentucky Murderer/ess

This was just a very quick search of the web. An in-depth search would turn up much more.

The point is that violence in prison is very real, whether murderers are doing the killing or not. You must agree that one doing time for a violent crime is probably much more predisposed to that sort of behavior than a white collar offender.
  • Options
    If your suggesting that murderers should be killed just so they dont hurt anyone else, why dont we just better secure the prisons?

But then as much as I dislike the idea of the death penalty would it almost be more humane than isolating someone for 10's of years by themselves in very high security?
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/153988.stm

If capital punishment is a deterrent, shouldn't the murder rates of London be higher than New Yorks?

Also, where as I totally understand the point about what the victims family would want, I would argue that they are too emotionally involved to make a rational decision.

If someone slapped your sister and you saw the person in the street the next day, would you make a rational decision to phone the police knowing that person will end up with no more than a fine? or would you introduce him to Mr Baseball Bat?

This is a similair scenario I faced when I was 20, to this day I thank the Lord, that I didnt actually see the Guy and I was not living in the state of Texas, as I wouldn't be here to post this.
  • Options
    Re: Aladdin
    Originally posted by Bandito
    Excellent point! Another good case made for proponents of the death penalty.;)

Death penalty often more expensive than life imprisonment due to expense of all the precautionary legal measures........
  • Options
    I've heard that too, because of the checks and appeals its tends to go on and on for years and years.

That and I really dont see the argument about prison gaurds. Surely if one of them is killed by an inmate that is a failure of the prison service, not a reason to kill them.
  • Options
    Re: Are we overlooking the obvious?
    executed murderers will NEVER kill again. (not on this planet anyway)

Executed convicted "criminals" won't kill anyone ever again. Agreed.

State murders will continue unabated.

BTW How many people who have been executed were later found to have been not-guilty? If this has happened even once, is that a price worth paying? If it has happened even once, doesn't that make their death "murder" (i.e. innocent person killed by state decree)?
  • Options
    I don't know, I suppose it depends how many other inmates or guards piss him/her off.

Convicted criminal kills convicted criminal. You have a problem with that then?
  • Options
    Why dont we just put them all in a big pit and let them fight it out then?

Seems a reasonable solution.