Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lethal injection in the US

I dont know wether any of you heard this news story but it really got to me. Aparently there has been new research on one of the drugs used in the US for the lethal injection and it has been shown to cause serious pain and suffering.

In fact the chemical itself (I'll try and find its name) has been banned for use with animals because its cruel. Aparently it stops you moving totaly, so you look like your just drifting away but it causes a nasty pain response before you die.

Why they feel the need to do it at all is beyond me too.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    And there they were advocating its use because it was supposed to be 'the most humane' way of killing someone.....
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is no humane way of killing someone.

For killing someone without their consent is not human.

But anyway, I have heard reports in the past that supposedly painless lethal injection is nothing of the sort.

But of course, the victim cannot express any pain, nor are there any visible nastiness, such as victims catching fire on the electric chair or people choking in agony in the gas chamber, so those righteous witnesses to the execution can feel better.

For a country that prides itself in being Christian, they have a very funny way of showing it.

And for a country that pretends to be the leader of the "free world", it's funny how they don't seem to have a problem being in the same league as such bastions of democracy and human rights as China or Saudi Arabia.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    There is no humane way of killing someone.

For killing someone without their consent is not human.

Unfortunately it is very human, its just not very humane. ;)
  • Options
    Point taken. ;)
  • Options
    Maybe they should use the guillotine. Its so quick you probably wouldn't feel anything. however it does leave a lot of mess to be cleaned up.

Perhaps the gallows would be the best compromise. No mess, not much suffering, fairly quick.
  • Options
    For a country that prides itself in being Christian, they have a very funny way of showing it.

And for a country that pretends to be the leader of the "free world", it's funny how they don't seem to have a problem being in the same league as such bastions of democracy and human rights as China or Saudi Arabia.

Were in no position to throw stones.

Great Britain has, on a per capita ratio, more people serving out life sentences in our jails than any other country in Western Europe. 3500 of those people serving life are over 65. One guy is serving life on "two violent crimes and you're out" policy- he glassed someone once, then after twenty years of crime-free life he got into a violent fight he didnt start or provoke.

We arent any better than the Americans. Especially when you consider most US states no longer have the death penalty.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    but does this not lead to the argument of is capital punishment right in itself.... aaaand... if whatever they did was bad enough for them to be sentenced to death then do they not deserve to suffer?

Kantian politics against Benthamite politics: something so interesting I had to start a thread about it:)
  • Options
    Kermit
    Especially when you consider most US states no longer have the death penalty.

Speaking out again about issues you know nothing about?

FYI, 38 states currently have the death penalty on their statute books. Last time I checked we only have 50 states, so by my calculation that 38 would be a majority of states.

Now in your favor there are some states that don't execute even when a criminal is convicted and sentenced to death.

Texas is not one of those.
  • Options
    On an interesting note...

The states of Idaho and Utah still utilize firing squads as the method of execution, although lethal injection can be used as an alternative. In Utah the inmate can select the method of his/her demise.

Oklahoma was the first state to adopted lethal injection as an execution method; however Texas was the first state to carry out an execution using this method.
  • Options
    I'm anti-death penalty on simple prinicpal that the state should not be in the position of deciding who lives and dies.

I had not heard anything regarding lethal injection causing pain. In fact, I thought it was the least painful. I would be interested in a link.
  • Options
    Its supposed to be a deterrent

Doesnt seem to work very well on that score

Seems horrific to me- I mean if its wrong for that person to kill, why is it ok for the State to do so
  • Options
    Re: On an interesting note...
    [In Utah the inmate can select the method of his/her demise.
    [/B]

a. how kind :rolleyes:

b. they are called prisoners these days

anyone seen monsters ball?
  • Options
    Sorry I couldnt give more details I'll have a look and find out, I've actualy been in the US for the last week so I havent had time.
  • Options
  • Options
    I agree to the argument that there is no humane method of execution, but lethal injection does seem to be the most “visibly tolerable”.

I’m not concerned with this at all, as the convicted criminal had no regards for their victims’ civil rights, and it is probably a pretty safe assumption that the victim wasn’t humanely shot/beaten/stabbed/raped.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hot Rob
    I’m not concerned with this at all, as the convicted criminal had no regards for their victims’ civil rights, and it is probably a pretty safe assumption that the victim wasn’t humanely shot/beaten/stabbed/raped.
    Hmmmm. Whatever happened to turning the other cheek? :( It saddens me, the things people can do to each other. The death penalty is tantamount to murder, pure and simple. We have no right to decide who lives or dies. One can forfeit their right to full civil liberties but no one can ever forfeit their right to life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Hmmmm. Whatever happened to turning the other cheek?

While turning the other cheek is a kind and gentle philosophy, it is usually just an invitation to get the other cheek slapped as well. In a perfect world, we wouldn’t even need to turn the other cheek. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world.
    Originally posted by piccolo It saddens me, the things people can do to each other.

It saddens me, too. But that’s why we have laws in place, to protect us from those who would do us harm and to serve as a deterrent. What saddens me most is the fact that more concern is shown for the criminals’ rights than those of his/her victim.
    Originally posted by piccolo We have no right to decide who lives or dies. One can forfeit their right to full civil liberties but no one can ever forfeit their right to life.

Apparently, the convicted criminal didn’t see it this way. As they were convicted of a capital offense, they made that decision for someone else. It only becomes a moral issue to them when it’s their ass on the line.

Would I like to see the Death Penalty done away with? Absolutely. Do I think it is morally wrong to take another human beings life? Yes, definitely. But I have a stronger belief that people should be held accountable for their actions, and that the punishment should suit the crime.

I don’t like the Death Penalty, but I understand the need for it.
  • Options
    I just fail to see what good it does, does it prevent crime? The statistics about murder rates in the US would suggest hevily not.

I find the idea that its some sort of justice and that it will make the victims feel better horrid, your taking pleasure in some ones death!
  • Options

It saddens me, too. But that’s why we have laws in place, to protect us from those who would do us harm and to serve as a deterrent.

Please show me some conclusive evidence that the Death Penalty acts as a deterrant, I know of none.............
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Please show me some conclusive evidence that the Death Penalty acts as a deterrant, I know of none.............
    Would you do something if you knew you could be executed for it?
  • Options
    Thats not what he asked at all, most killings happen in a fit of passion so it really makes no odds what the outcome is, your not thinking rationaly.

There is also the issue of clear up rates, in a lot of places there is a good chance that you will get away with the murder, therefore the punishment is not a deterant, regardless of what it is.
  • Options
    Would you do something if you knew you could be executed for it?

C'mon, you can do better than that surely?

I do believe that the majority of Death penalty sentences are awarded for, as bong suggests, 'crimes of passion' where there is little or no prior planning so I am not sure the question is entirely relevant.

Given also that many people on death row are mentally deficient in some way the question is even more irrelevant..........
  • Options
    By the look of it, shit loads of people are "doing things" in the States and elsewhere, regardless of the death penalty.

It doesn't work, and it is an immoral abomination. There are no possible excuses for such barbarian practices to exist.
  • Options
    By the look of it, shit loads of people are "doing things" in the States and elsewhere, regardless of the death penalty.

It doesn't work, and it is an immoral abomination. There are no possible excuses for such barbarian practices to exist.
    :yes: Hear, hear. The statistical evidence shows that the death penalty itself does not lower crime rates. I'm sorry I can't quote examples, but it is something I have read a few times.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    most killings happen in a fit of passion so it really makes no odds what the outcome is
    And there's why it doesn't help. Yes, I agree, there are some sick people in this world who will commit violent crimes in cold blood, but msot don't. I am not condoning the actions of murders who kill in passion.
    While turning the other cheek is a kind and gentle philosophy, it is usually just an invitation to get the other cheek slapped as well.
    You say that, but I'm not convinced. As I said earlier, there are other ways to punish murderers. Take someone's liberty, you have no more right to take their life than they did to take the life of their victim. It's not justice. It's murder.

I'm sorry, that was not a personal attack on you, I appreciate that you don't agree with the death penalty, although I would argue that it is not necessary. British society seems to me to function just as well as, say, Texan society without the death penalty.
  • Options
    A question. Would you put someone who was responsible for thousands of murders to death. A Josef Mengele for instance. We put down rabid animals and so why not those animals that murder innocents?

How would you feel about the death penalty if your whole family was systematically tortured and then murdered. How is a determination made statistically that the death penalty does not reduce crime? Wahington DC in the US has no death penalty and yet has one of the highest murder rates per capita of any American City. New York State, wherein you will find the City of New York, has the death penalty and the murder rate has dropped precipitously. The death penalty as preventative measure cannot be ascertained by either situation. Cause and effect are more likely determined by other mitigating factors. Thus the statistical statements cannot be addressed with any particular certainty in my book.

The death penalty is a statement by a society that it will not tolerate certain behavior. The majority of the people in this democratic society favor it. Barbaric? That may be a culturally relative outlook.

How would people in the UK vote on this issue?
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you look at the whole of the US instead of pairing cities, there is no difference in crime between States that have the death penalty and those that don't. I know there are some pro-death penalty websites that try to argue the opposite, but then there are some anti-death penalty websites that actually claim it's often worse in States that have the death penalty.

At the end of the day, it doesn't work as a deterrent. But even if it did...

I would not ask for the death penalty for someone who had murdered my whole family. Nor I think many people here or elsewhere in Europe would. Because it is simply lowering to the level of the murderer himself. Besides, if you are bent on revenge a life without parole sentence is far worse than death.

Not to mention the endless miscarriages of justice or the repulsive act of giving the death sentence to the mentally disabled or to minors.

Like I said earlier, for a country that prides itself in its Christianity they have a funny way of showing it. If God existed do you think he would approve of a governors executing people like it’s going out of business and then going to church on Sundays and pretending to be holier than thou?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Murph Redux
    How would people in the UK vote on this issue?
    Actually, it's interesting, I remember reading in politics once that something like 70% of the British population would vote to bring back capital punishment if there were to be a referendum. Scary stuff.

I'm with Aladdin on this one, I cannot conceive of a time when I would really wish for the death penalty to be brought back. If I were to lose my whole family, how would it help me to watch both the murderer and his/her family suffer another death? Why should I hurt his family as he hurt me?
  • Options
    I would be surprised if you couldnt get the majority of the people in the UK to vote for the death penalty for pedofiles, but then the public attitude to that is another issue.

There is also the issue of, if you really want to punish someone for what have they have done, is it not better to keep them locked up for 25-30 years for them to think about it? Rather than a quick death?
  • Options
    Any referendum would get 70% in favour so long as leather faced Murdoch tells the plebians how to vote.

The majority of this country don't like to think for themselves.
  • Options
    You all miss a vital point. The Americans don't use the death penalty as a deterrant. They use it as a punishment.
    If you take someone's life, they take yours.

I suggest they use hanging, quickest method of execution after beheading. If the criminal's neck isn't snapped, then they choke and suffocate within seconds.
    The American methods are inefficient and clumsy, and cause too much pain for all those involved, criminal and witnesses included.

While I agree in part to the death penalty, I disagree that people should be allowed to watch.